Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LA leftist groups being full of lovely men is unfortunately a recurring problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Wasn't DSA-LA ground zero for the Lana Del Raytheon creepshow experience?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FMguru posted:

Wasn't DSA-LA ground zero for the Lana Del Raytheon creepshow experience?

Did Lana Del Raytheon do a thing?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Wife emailer 2.0 if I remember right.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Skyscraper posted:

Did Lana Del Raytheon do a thing?
IIRC, spent a lot of time creeping on/grooming young enthusiastic DSA members (which did not go over particularly well with Lana's spouse).

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FMguru posted:

IIRC, spent a lot of time creeping on/grooming young enthusiastic DSA members (which did not go over particularly well with Lana's spouse).

Is just like, everyone in DSA doing that? How does that work?

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Wife emailer 2.0 if I remember right.

I need to upgrade from Wife Emailer 1.5, hoping the new version has some quality of life improvements.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Some people will call SF's inclusion of mutual grooming sessions in our monthly Intro to DSA meetings "creepy" "unsanitary," or even "terrifyingly atavistic," but I found mine very relaxing and effective at reducing my parasite load. How can we claim to be in favor of mutual aid if we refuse to support one of the oldest and most natural forms of it? I'd love to hear what the anti-groomers itt do to build solidarity in their chapters.

E: Oh, wait, grooming! Wow, nvm, obviously those people are not welcome in our organizations or groom-groups. Maybe we should use another name for those.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 10, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The thing to remember about the DSA is that it's a bunch of young people who think that they have strong moral principles and many will find that, like Boomer Hippies did 50 years ago, when honestly put to the test they don't.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The thing to remember about the DSA is that it's a bunch of young people who think that they have strong moral principles and many will find that, like Boomer Hippies did 50 years ago, when honestly put to the test they don't.

Leftist groups in LA have had a huge problem with sexual predators but also just plain sexism, guys talking over women, not respecting them, etc.

Which is one reason why I try to call out sexism as hard as possible in person and on message boards. Leftist men are terrible at self-examination on sexism.

Myself included, I'm sure.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaxyon posted:

men are terrible at self-examination on sexism.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Jaxyon posted:

men are terrible

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

We all grew up in a society that guided our brains to develop certain habits we don't even notice. Like the roots of a mighty but diseased tree, we must excavate and poison them so they wither and die. That's why I routinely pour Round Up in my ears, because the bigotry circuits are located near the temples.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

:emptyquote:

Not incorrect

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

Which is one reason why I try to call out sexism as hard as possible in person and on message boards. Leftist men are terrible at self-examination on sexism.

Myself included, I'm sure.

The biggest problem I've found over the decades is that 99% of people don't apply their moral principles to people they like. So you know, they hate sexists in the abstract, and they'll pillory somebody they don't know for bad behavior, but when it's your buddy....ah....well....surely it can't be that bad can it?

There's also the simple fact that bigotry is fun and it's hard to get people to stop being bigots.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I think men can be good also.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drilldo squirt posted:

I think men can be good also.

Yeah, but are they still men after the castration and reeducation?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, but are they still men after the castration and reeducation?

It's called SRS, and no, they aren't. ;)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's called SRS, and no, they aren't. ;)

It is incredibly tasteless and harmful to associate gender confirmation with castration. What the gently caress?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Uncastrated men, can be good also.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jit bull transpile posted:

It is incredibly tasteless and harmful to associate gender confirmation with castration. What the gently caress?

lol I wasn't aware taste was a factor in this conversation, but sorry if that was too off-color

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Uncastrated men, can be good also.

Haha yeah right name one good man

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I can name A Few Good Men

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Obama is an, ok politician, all considered.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I also like Shaq.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fred Rogers

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Fred Rogers

He was good as heck, and my neighbor.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

the hippies were an apolitical movement that encouraged people to unplug from the buzz-harshing realities of ideology and politics. take for example the Timothy Leary doctrine of "tune in, turn on, drop out."

to nobody's surprise, the people who were conditioned to view ideology as, like such a drag, maaaan turned into Very Serious Centrists who are Sick and Tired of All this Division in Government, if not outright swivel-eyed fascists

the movement youre looking for is the new left, which mostly ended up murdered, in jail, or burned out by watching friends have the first two things happen to them

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

paranoid randroid posted:

the movement youre looking for is the new left, which mostly ended up murdered, in jail, or burned out by watching friends have the first two things happen to them

The DSA is absolutely not the New Left. In their present state they are going to accomplish nothing, so nobody is going to arrest/murder them.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The thing to realize about white Boomers is that their biggest problem was their parents throwing them into a war and telling them it'll build character, but otherwise they had a lot of poo poo set up for them. Outside the war, and especially with regards to California and LA specifically, being white in the 1950s was a pretty good time. Car culture happened because being white basically ensured you were well off enough as a family for your teens (even if you have a lot of them) to have their own cars.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 12, 2019

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

The thing to realize about white Boomers is that their biggest problem was their parents throwing them into a war and telling them it'll build character, but otherwise they had a lot of poo poo set up for them. Outside the war, and especially with regards to California and LA specifically, being white in the 1950s was a pretty good time. Car culture happened because being white basically ensured you were well off enough as a family for your teens (even if you have a lot of them) to have their own cars.

Yep, friend’s dad grew up working class and he had a series of mustangs and eventually corvettes he would ride around on the main drag just to pass the time (similar to American Graffiti).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
My dad grew up poor (on food stamps) and still built T-bucket kit cars, had a car that he built up really nice and sold it to put a down payment on his first house at 21.

Imagine doing that today. Selling a car and getting enough money for it to make a down payment on a house.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My dad grew up poor (on food stamps) and still built T-bucket kit cars, had a car that he built up really nice and sold it to put a down payment on his first house at 21.

Imagine doing that today. Selling a car and getting enough money for it to make a down payment on a house.
The trade off for not having an easy home purchase is that we now have comforts and technology prior generations never were able to enjoy. Plus we aren’t shoehorned into a lifestyle that doesn’t make sense for everybody i.e. must get married must have kids.

I think it’s a fair trade off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Can't afford a home but I can buy a new iPhone every 2 years. An honest trade, true progress.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FilthyImp posted:

Can't afford a home but I can buy a new iPhone every 2 years. An honest trade, true progress.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Runaktla posted:

The trade off for not having an easy home purchase is that we now have comforts and technology prior generations never were able to enjoy. Plus we aren’t shoehorned into a lifestyle that doesn’t make sense for everybody i.e. must get married must have kids.

Hell yeah. I'd never trade internet access or my technogadgets for a shot at financial stability, that poo poo is for idiots. Twitter is better than a home.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Runaktla posted:

Do we get anything for giving up affordable health care and education or is that also just phones.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

acksplode posted:

Do we get anything for giving up affordable health care and education or is that also just phones.

No that's for the apps.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Runaktla posted:

I would probably oppose new buildings if I was living in SF. Clutter/overpopulation blows. If that means population centers become more spread out then awesome.

Runaktla posted:

Guy gets shot by bean bag gun and doesn't drop knife, I hate to say it but he deserves to be shot. Knives can kill/maim as well, and sometimes better than guns (though not 20 of them lol). He was walking away and could harm somebody.

If the guy ends up getting close to and lunges with a knife at somebody the people are going to point fingers at the cops for not killing him earlier.

I'm ok with this. Sorry black dude for not learning common sense. Sucks. But poo poo happens.

Runaktla posted:

The trifecta

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

What do you mean “buy”? Most of us finance our smartphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My dad ran a parking garage, literally parked cars for a living, and he was able to purchase a home in the early 1960's for $33k or so ... that was huge in a highly desirable area. He could afford to send three children to fancy schools (Ivy for me) as well (with minimal loans) and sent us to summer camp and took decent vacations every year.