Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
for the people having trouble understanding. the two spies are getting married. their wedding gets attacked and instead of tragic death wedding we get badass fight wedding. -hard to understand. not in color. confused-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

AkumaHokoru posted:

for the people having trouble understanding. the two spies are getting married. their wedding gets attacked and instead of tragic death wedding we get badass fight wedding. -hard to understand. not in color. confused-

Again, it's not confusing, it's just not badass. The next panel might be, but who knows, these panels literally build-up to an event seen off-panel.

Its the badass thread, not the implication of things to come thread. Big panels of Thor whipping some rear end tend to easily fall in line, while the panel where he hears something in the distance less so.

E: Implied badassery can absolutely be cool too, but usually that requires a bit of familiarity. A smirking warrior surrounded by a faceless horde is only badass if you know the badassery that is implied to come, otherwise it's some dickwad that may or may not be out of their depth. If we know that lone warrior is Wolverine, Wonder Woman, loving Gilgamesh, then it clues us in. Meanwhile, ghost narration and a bunch of soon to be dead doofuses? Non-plussed.

Also, Mr and Mrs Smith being used as a touchstone of badassery is a little dated and ridiculous, no? Who is coming back to that for anything other than being the movie that broke up Brad and Jen?

qwewq fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 10, 2019

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

people arguing about what counts as badass don't make a good case for why they're qualified to identify it

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
I dunno, I'm a person in the thread? I'm not the end all be all, but if someone says It Isn't, then some say It Is, I'm not sure why any of us is more or less correct, so what's another voice in the conversation?

Looking at every except shown on the first page, I get the badassery. This feels a little sweet, a little dopey. But that's me, who the gently caress cares?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

qwewq posted:

Also, Mr and Mrs Smith being used as a touchstone of badassery is a little dated and ridiculous, no?

The concept of super spies is never dated. the concept of two super spies being a couple that works together is amazing and if I had any creative talent I would make a comic out of this right now to spite that notion of it being outdated.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

AkumaHokoru posted:

The concept of super spies is never dated. the concept of two super spies being a couple that works together is amazing and if I had any creative talent I would make a comic out of this right now to spite that notion of it being outdated.

I didn't say superspies, I said Mr and Mrs Smith, which a previous poster has specifically pointed out. The latter is the former, the former is not exclusively the latter. As the latter is the decidedly not badass, the former can not wholly be.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I figured the standalone page was striking enough, but I can understand wanting to see explosions.

Squidster posted:

Spy X Family.

It's Mr and Mrs Smith, but manga.

The spy comedy genre will outlast us all.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Squidster posted:

I figured the standalone page was striking enough, but I can understand wanting to see explosions.

The spy comedy genre will outlast us all.

Yep, those are what push it into badass, thanks for understanding!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

qwewq posted:

I didn't say superspies, I said Mr and Mrs Smith, which a previous poster has specifically pointed out. The latter is the former, the former is not exclusively the latter. As the latter is the decidedly not badass, the former can not wholly be.

...so 1 superspy is badass but 2 getting married and defending their wedding from a enemy attack isn't why?

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

AkumaHokoru posted:

...so 1 superspy is badass but 2 getting married and defending their wedding from a enemy attack isn't why?

Have you seen the movie? It plays like a worn-out joke. Who, upon preparing for a night of badass movies with friends, is pulling out that tired poo poo?

Do you want to airbrush it onto a van? That's the metric I'm using. And no, I don't want any frames of Mr and Mrs Smith airbrushed onto a van, so that being the easiest and closest point of familiarity for those panels puts me off. Atomic Blonde, sure. Someone does something interesting with Bond at some point that isn't tired and retread, get in. Wacky Tom Cruise brutalizing himself in some vain effort to prove something, somehow yes. I mean gently caress, Tinker Tailor is great and more badass and that's 90% talk. Brad and Angelina with kookie ol Vince Vaughn, nope.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Badass Panels: Only qualifies for this thread if you'd airbrush it on a van

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sprayed on a van isn't the only metric. If there's a buildup to a scene, that can make the action in the last panel badass. Skurge isn't badass because he shot at a bunch of enemies, it's a badass scene because of the story that led up to it, showing what he was going up against, and how he stood his ground despite him dying himself.

(I have a bias against anime panels, but that one page scene didn't work for me because there was none of that buildup or payoff. It was more a funny panel for me, like using the grenade pin as a ring was a gag.)

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

New Leaf posted:

Badass Panels: Only qualifies for this thread if you'd airbrush it on a van

:hai:

and also, yeah, what IUG said.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 10, 2019

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Or Badass Panels: (I have a bias against anime, but

because yikes. We get it, some of you are very offended impure comicbooks made elsewhere.

ecavalli posted:

at this point, it's predictable to the point of being ridiculous.

:ironicat:

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 10, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The problem isn’t anime, it’s the panels of anime that get posted.

Post more lone wolf and cub or something.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
All I know about Mr and Mrs smith is that it looks like a lovely movie that has Angelia and Brad Pitt in it.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Pretty sure the last time someone posted LWaC the reaction the exact same "me no understand these Oriental attempts at making Dignified Funny books. Anime bad!" and confused murmurings from everybody else.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Speaking of van airbrushing...
Anime fans have their own version called Itasha

Kinda... not so bad rear end.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Galvanik posted:

Speaking of van airbrushing...
Anime fans have their own version called Itasha

Kinda... not so bad rear end.

That's badass as hell what are you talking about?

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Yeah anyone that drives around in something like that is someone I wouldn't mess with.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Cuchulain posted:

Pretty sure the last time someone posted LWaC the reaction the exact same "me no understand these Oriental attempts at making Dignified Funny books. Anime bad!" and confused murmurings from everybody else.

So it sounds like maybe it isn't the best place for it? I could post a particular Magic card that I would find badass through art, mechanics, flavor, storyline implications, and in all senses you could look at it, read the words, and have a general idea of whats up, but that sounds like a nonsense idea, right? Because you don't have a whit of any of the buildup or association that I have to get that badass feeling. So if the general consensus from everyone is confused murmuring when manga gets posted, why do you interpret that to mean you need to create a one-person crusade to educate the illiterate gaijin.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

qwewq posted:

So it sounds like maybe it isn't the best place for it? I could post a particular Magic card that I would find badass through art, mechanics, flavor, storyline implications, and in all senses you could look at it, read the words, and have a general idea of whats up, but that sounds like a nonsense idea, right? Because you don't have a whit of any of the buildup or association that I have to get that badass feeling. So if the general consensus from everyone is confused murmuring when manga gets posted, why do you interpret that to mean you need to create a one-person crusade to educate the illiterate gaijin.

lol magic is the wrong example. I can pull magic cards with no context and people will say. that's loving badass.

EXHIBIT A FOR THE JURY. Savage Punch. speaks for itself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AkumaHokoru posted:

lol magic is the wrong example. I can pull magic cards with no context and people will say. that's loving badass.

It was cooler when the Punisher did it.

:D

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

AkumaHokoru posted:

Yep, that one absolutely is. Much like One Punch Man (heh) is badass to me at a glance. But other cards, much like the panel that spawned this, not the case.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

prefect posted:

It was cooler when the Punisher did it.
:D
Punishers was great because the bear was like...what the gently caress?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

And also his thought process up to that point. "Cuddly. Lovable. Docile. That won't do." *punch*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The bear's like, what the gently caress just happened but not in like a, this hurts way

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Calaveron posted:

The bear's like, what the gently caress just happened but not in like a, this hurts way

Yeah, I would feel bad about it if I thought the bear was hurt instead of just startled/confused. :3:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the two seconds before the grenade pin ring panels loaded, my brain envisioned this manga version of Spy VS Spy except the black and white spies were also married, and I'm just disappointed the actual panels don't live up to that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Considering it was most of a month before the post with the first manga panels in it, and not one of the complainers has actually posted anything else, y'all dont get to bitch :colbert: If its not the content you want to see, be the change you want to see.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Considering it was most of a month before the post with the first manga panels in it, and not one of the complainers has actually posted anything else, y'all dont get to bitch :colbert: If its not the content you want to see, be the change you want to see.

Valid point.

Here's something infinitely more badass than any of the lovely manga posts that spawned this dumbass, neverending argument.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol you would post loving Thor, thinking it’s baddass or whatever.

90% of what is posted here isn’t very baddass but people only get whiny when it’s manga.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What is badass about that panel?

Old comics are better for this because of how compressed they were. They can give context in a single page. Manga and modern comics really struggle with that.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol you would post loving Thor, thinking it’s baddass or whatever.

Who knew that posting pages from Thor: God of Thunder would be so controversial in a thread titled, Badass Panels: Pretty much just Thor: God of Thunder?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Daredevil #5 (vol. 3)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is a badass panel.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah, post all the images of graphic rape that was clearly written with one hand cause kazuo koike is a huge pervert and weirdo

god lady snowblood literally had a guy who had a penis so huge it killed every woman he had sex with, but lady snowblood was like "yeah okay just use my thighs i guess" before she killed him. truly a comic worthy of japanese playboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

qwewq posted:

So it sounds like maybe it isn't the best place for it?

'if you don't want flaming crosses on your lawn, maybe this isn't the best place for you to live'

The fault isn't with the people posting panels, it's with the people posting thinly veiled "ME NO LIKE FOREIGN COMICS" in response. Every time. The same people! Almost like those guys who have a problem with a """""""""""""""certain subset""""""""""""""""""" of panels and can't stop bitching abou it are the source of the problem.

Ooo I know! We should put a a big warning in the OP to only post glorious american comics to avoid offending anyone's delicate nationalistic sensibilities.

quote:

one-person crusade to educate the illiterate gaijin.
I posted once there like seven other people calling you guys out for being loving tools, ya dingus. You're either being obtuse or you're being intentionally racist, but either way aint a good loving look.

or just keep being fuckin' racist tools all over the internet I guess, not like anyone anyone cares about anything!

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 11, 2019