Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc posted:

centrist scales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

PurpleXVI posted:

It's also kind of fascinating watching how other people's tactics vary from what you do yourself, and you start wondering if you're the one doing something dumb, or whether it's just a difference based on your nation/preferences.

Like, I always spam as many temples as humanly possible because the few times I haven't done that, I've gotten whomped with someone else's dominion and that's what's ended up choking me out. But here it looks like Ramc is a lot less forcible about pushing his dominion.

Am I just overvaluing having as many temples in as many places as possible?

So the way dominion spread is calculated has totally changed.

Buuuuut i forget how, sorry! :)

Honestly tho if you have a decent domscore (6 or so?) and a couple temples you should be fine unless someone is actively trying to domkill you with like mass blood sacrifice. What was your situation?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Kill the bloodsaccers first.

Well, maybe not first. But early.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FilthIncarnate posted:

So the way dominion spread is calculated has totally changed.

Buuuuut i forget how, sorry! :)

Honestly tho if you have a decent domscore (6 or so?) and a couple temples you should be fine unless someone is actively trying to domkill you with like mass blood sacrifice. What was your situation?

It was probably a few patches back, so possibly prior to whatever changes they made to dominion spread, because it was last year or so. But my nation was sandwiched between three others, I had a base Dominion score of 9 or 10, and even building temples in all of my(admittedly long and narrow with no territories that didn't border an enemy territory) territories, I was having trouble keeping my dominion solid.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, they're an exclusively MA Ermor summon that they get 3 different spells to summon various numbers of them (1, 5, or 14). And as could be expected from being summonable in numbers, they're a troop rather than a commander.

that's pretty fuckin sick not gonna lie

Ramc posted:

in many fields I have n e u t r a l s c a l e s.

:ohno:

Normal Adult Human posted:

the real benefit of an imprisoned pretender is you cant loving lose it if you dont have it

How are u posted:

Hello my name is how are u and I am an addict. My vice is imprisoned pretenders.

:hmmyes: if your god's awake that means bad stuff can happen to it, its a shame i can't keep my god asleep forever for mongo points

EDIT: are there any new immobile chassis or is it still whispy woods, pretty water, or :megadeath: blood mostly

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 11, 2019

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There's a rock now.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

It was probably a few patches back, so possibly prior to whatever changes they made to dominion spread, because it was last year or so. But my nation was sandwiched between three others, I had a base Dominion score of 9 or 10, and even building temples in all of my(admittedly long and narrow with no territories that didn't border an enemy territory) territories, I was having trouble keeping my dominion solid.

This sounds... extremely odd. There was indeed a patch that made passive domkill much harder going forward, but it was a change made in Dom 4 (and presumably carried over to 5) and was definitely longer ago than last year. Did you possibly have a bloodsac nation on your border?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i think agartha had a rock before. also that cool pillar

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How easy is Domkilling nowadays?

I briefly experimented in Dom4 with a strategy of an awake Dom10 Hooded Messenger on Man (so I have stealth priests, too). Hooded Messenger is a 10 map movement flying, stealthy unit that you can park directly on an enemy capital. Is there a max on Dominion after a game starts? Since it goes up by 1 every four temoples? Infinite friar works choking the map with my stealth priests and bombing areas with my (essentially) teleporting Stealth God seems somewhat more fun to early wipe an enemy.

The one time I managed to try this in a multiplayer game, the capital I correctly found on turn 1 was, like, the one guy with good enough Dom score to fend it off.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Normal Adult Human posted:

the real benefit of an imprisoned pretender is you cant loving lose it if you dont have it

And Noah said, "no, go back into the loving closet you donkey, I'll let everyone see you once we start winning, or once you stop making bread that even the pigeons won't loving eat."

And later he was crucified, and Noah was all, "WHAT DID I SAY, YOU loving DONKEY."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lord Koth posted:

This sounds... extremely odd. There was indeed a patch that made passive domkill much harder going forward, but it was a change made in Dom 4 (and presumably carried over to 5) and was definitely longer ago than last year. Did you possibly have a bloodsac nation on your border?

Could be, it's a long time.

Either way, I'm a temple addict. Can't pry those away from me. Gotta have all the temples.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Turn 18

We have some stuff going on here. A few fights but NO SITES sigh come on.

Conjuration 3 lets us summon lesser water elementals! Some other stuff but elementals is the draw for an early conjuration 3.

The fight is pretty ok-

Not even worth screenshotting.

I ping the throne. It doesnt look scary, just two w3 mages. One has some swag:

This isn't super intimidating. I will probably move my eastern army westward into this.

Events are...

...ignorable. My dom is pretty secure.

I GOT THE SHIP WRECKERS HAHAHA!!

Overview! Nazca is cool with my land holding so I move a guy up there to make infrastructure. I will expand west in the north of the sea too.

Shipwreckers will immediately backstab Phaecia. Nothing personnel, kid
I check and that site in the province is +2 earth gems. No idea why I can see it but I can.

I will converge here, then maybe hit that island to the west then go YET FARTHER west to the throne.

More mercs are available! I bid.

I am moving dudes around going to patrol on that one event from months back. And of course I am expanding still.

expanding f o r e v e r

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am kind of amazed just how bad your luck is in regard to finding sites.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

I've been spending a ton of gold building infrastructure and recruiting mages, so the heady year 1 days of having tons of gold to spend on mercs are over. Seeing Pelagia steal the Ship Wreckers from me -and- that they're now on my border gives me a ~sinking~ feeling ho ho ho.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ship wreckers are probably the best merc company in the entire game and they're worth like 400 gold

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

what makes the ship wreckers so good compared to other mercs?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm actually impressed (and maybe a little disappointed) that Phaecia didn't just go "welp I don't have enough money left to put in a controlling bid for the Ship Wreckers again, better suicide them into someone else's powerful force so that whoever gets them next is paying out the rear end for like three guys."

Ramc
May 4, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm actually impressed (and maybe a little disappointed) that Phaecia didn't just go "welp I don't have enough money left to put in a controlling bid for the Ship Wreckers again, better suicide them into someone else's powerful force so that whoever gets them next is paying out the rear end for like three guys."

3 ship wreckers are still ok.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

lol if you don't spite murder your mercs at the end of their first contract so that nobody else can use them ever

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Or put the collar on mage hires that gives them enfeebled mind.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nah, you give them a bane venom charm.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Broken Box posted:

what makes the ship wreckers so good compared to other mercs?

An "average" merc company is usually going to be something like 30 human dudes with very average equipment. The Ship Wreckers are 20 Atlantean shamblers with above average equipment. So the biggest thing is that they're amphibious and can let a land nation break into the water (probably useless if you're up against a nation like Ramc, but if you have a lake nearby the wreckers will get you free provinces), but they also punch way above their weight in terms of generic fighting ability. Shamblers suffer a little bit in attacks per square because they're larger than man sized but they also have like twice the HP and damage of regular humans and good protection values too.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the min pay for the ship wreckers is 150. 20 war shamblers would cost 500 gold to recruit. Oh yeah, they also all have titan's grip so they're using 2 handed weapons and shields.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

more like poo poo wreckers

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here, but I'm enjoying what I piece together narrative-wise.

Murder the Phaecian heretics!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is going on here, but I'm enjoying what I piece together narrative-wise.

Murder the Phaecian heretics!

Extremely rude.

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 12, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is pretty traditional Ramc diplomacy from what I remember.

"I'm taking these provinces and you can't stop me, get over it".

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Voyager I posted:

This is pretty traditional Ramc diplomacy from what I remember.

"I'm taking these provinces and you can't stop me, get over it".

That is "Pan Diplomacy" actually

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Ramc is actually very nice and diplomatic if he's in a strategically inferior position to you.

That's just almost never the case.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

my domplomacy was usually just going 'i have good scales and just want to turtle please leave me alone'

this is usually why i never won games

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kitfox88 posted:

'i have good scales and just want to turtle please leave me alone'

This almost works with Sir Mix-A-Lot's anthem.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

This almost works with Sir Mix-A-Lot's anthem.

tfw you have more scales than the bible's got psalms

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i like big scales and i cannot lie
you other chassis cant deny
that when a dom walks in with an itty bitty bless
and growth scales in your place
you get sprung, want to pull up troops
cause you noticed that cash was stuffed

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i'm no good at parodies sorry

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Neither am I, but that never stopped me from making them, and the cringier, the better. :v:

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
It seems like mercenaries usually just get grabbed up to help early expansions or bolster early game armies and then kinda just get forgotten about once players get their economies and murderballs formed, is that about right? Is it worth it to try and pick up a magical mercenary if they have paths your nation doesn't have easy access to? Maybe help you branch into new kinds of magic or forge items you couldn't yourself?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah its extremely worth it to do that. stand outs are gote who is blood /death and ferrus who is earth/astral

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

ousire posted:

It seems like mercenaries usually just get grabbed up to help early expansions or bolster early game armies and then kinda just get forgotten about once players get their economies and murderballs formed, is that about right? Is it worth it to try and pick up a magical mercenary if they have paths your nation doesn't have easy access to? Maybe help you branch into new kinds of magic or forge items you couldn't yourself?

There is no way to know what paths a merc mage has without looking it up though so totally spoil yourself there.