Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I do think it's pretty funny that this is all potentially happening due to reasons completely independent to the Russian investigation though.

Assange finally gets arrested for facilitating the Manning leak a decade later for insulting the president of the state protecting him loooool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do you have any sources at all to the part that you're "worried" about? Every news report I've seen has been related to hacking computer stuff charges and nothing else.

From the BBC:

BBC posted:

What are the US charges against Julian Assange?

The indictment, issued last year in the state of Virginia, alleges that Mr Assange conspired in 2010 with former US Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning to access classified information on Department of Defense computers.

Manning downloaded four databases from US departments and agencies between January and May 2010, the indictment says. This information, much of which was classified, was provided to Wikileaks.

The US Justice Department described it as "one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States".

Cracking a password stored on the computers, the indictment alleges, would have allowed Manning to log on to them in such a way as to make it harder for investigators to determine the source of the disclosures. It is unclear whether the password was actually broken.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 11, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Did you read any of the comments in that twitter thread?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"He's being charged with conspiracy to rob a bank, and look here where it says he "drove them to the bank". IM SCARED THAT THEY ARE CRIMINALIZING DRIVING"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm personally going to reserve my judgment on how to feel about Assange's arrest until I understand what he's actually being charged with. The specifics of his prosecution really matter a great deal, and it's increasingly looking like it's for the kind of poo poo that do have a legitimate chilling effect on free speech. I'm all for him getting prosecuted for rape or even rolled up with the Mueller investigation, and even very narrowly tailored charges relating to publishing Manning's dump might be appropriate, but it's increasingly looking like he's getting charged for keeping his sources secret.

From the UK magistrate court case today and the published US indictment, it appears that Assange was found guilty of evading justice (obviously, though of course Assange and his lawyers protested his innocence for that too) and that the indictment focuses on his involvement in attempted password cracking during the 2010 Manning/Wikileaks affair. The American indictment could well expand, and the Swedes may well put together an indictment again involving the rape, it just remains to be seen.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If anything the EDVA case means that they've conceded that his publication of materials is probably protected under journalistic protections, since all they have is a really vague "hacking" charge.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Additionally, since maybe my edit got missed on the new page but, Assange is being charged because of leaking Manning's info, but for conspiracy to steal the info. That he happened to publish. If Manning, completely independently of Assange, downloaded the information and then, without any communication*, handed it to Assange, that would not have been illegal for Assange.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Did you read any of the comments in that twitter thread?

My entire point is that I don't understand these types of charges and I'm waiting until some actual attorneys who practice federal criminal law of this type can analyze them for the public. This fact pattern looks concerning.

I get that the fact pattern is meant to demonstrate that he conspired with Manning to crack DoD passwords, which is not the same as charging him for publishing the information, but it also looks like a way of broadening the hacking charge to include legitimate behavior.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I don't know what's going on, but I'm confident the sky is falling.

I literally said that I'm reserving judgment.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 11, 2019

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The idea that they're not going to torture Assange is bewildering to me. They were torturing Chelsea Manning as recently as this month.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My entire point is that I don't understand these types of charges and I'm waiting until some actual attorneys who practice federal criminal law of this type can analyze them for the public. This fact pattern looks concerning.
I don't know what's going on, but I'm confident the sky is falling.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/zachdcarter/status/1116345741545439234

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

The idea that they're not going to torture Assange is bewildering to me. They were torturing Chelsea Manning as recently as this month.
They also tortured Paul Manafort and Martin Shkreli, the fiends.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

there are still pro assange posters itt?

This thread is like 50% people inventing windmills to tilt against.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If you're reserving judgment then why are you coming up with hypotheticals about how he's actually being charged with protecting sources? There is no indication that the indictment involves that, and the only folks talking about that are indeed the "Twitter communtariat"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

They also tortured Paul Manafort and Martin Shkreli, the fiends.

Torture doesn't stop being bad because you use it on assholes, OP.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cabbit posted:

Torture doesn't stop being bad because you use it on assholes, OP.

This is certainly true but there's a certain amount of schadenfreude in the kind of monsters who uphold and make the system as lovely as it is being judged and punished by their own system. Essentially the "leopards won't eat my face" guy getting his face eaten by a leopard.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Chilichimp posted:

(which is what the pro-assange posters ITT are talking about).

Who are the pro-Assange posters itt

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Petr posted:

You. It's you. You are the chosen sacrificial poster.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Petr posted:

I ain't no fuckin amateur I'll tell you that.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I get that the fact pattern is meant to demonstrate that he conspired with Manning to crack DoD passwords, which is not the same as charging him for publishing the information, but it also looks like a way of broadening the hacking charge to include legitimate behavior.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1116343038782033920

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1116373187263180802

selec
Sep 6, 2003

LOL gotta empty out that safe before any of the Good Guys get unfortunate details leaked about them.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Private Speech posted:

I don't think he should go to the US prison for publishing Manning's leak.

Good news: he's not!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Push El Burrito posted:

The last time I was at prison there was an ice cream vending machine and also I was able to buy nachos.

No prisoner is free until they rescind their "they don't allow you to have bees here" policy

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Time for some center-left trutherism!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK what's funnier, these charges against him or Avanatti on the debate stage.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

PT6A posted:

Why didn't Assange just behave himself and do as he was asked by his hosts, and avoid this whole problem in the first place?

He's responsible for the situation he finds himself in right now, it's pointless to pretend otherwise.

Haha holy poo poo this argument is Republican as gently caress

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bezos could easily buy the Enquirer and just immediately burn down the building

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Yeah, that's more or less that I thought. If it's just limited to that, I guess it's not exactly chilling to journalists. But let's see if it stops there:

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1116352244486742019

Maybe that's going to be Mueller/Russia stuff, which I'm not so defensive about.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

This is certainly true but there's a certain amount of schadenfreude in the kind of monsters who uphold and make the system as lovely as it is being judged and punished by their own system. Essentially the "leopards won't eat my face" guy getting his face eaten by a leopard.

That's understandable to a degree, I'm just saying, anyone who thinks he might not be tortured is straight deluding themself because the US was literally just torturing somebody involved in this poo poo like a week ago.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

New take from the Enquirer: Civil rights are good, but also megacorporations are very, very good.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Haha Sweden is reopening the rape charges against Assange. Good.

Realistically, he's still going to have to serve his year sentence for bail jumping anyway before he gets extradited to either the US or Sweden right? Local charges take precedence?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

It is also the only way we'll get prison reform. Stop protecting the privileged from the horrors of the American Prison system. Make them face consequences.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/ReaganBattalion/status/1116374052162215936

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, that's more or less that I thought. If it's just limited to that, I guess it's not exactly chilling to journalists. But let's see if it stops there:

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1116352244486742019

Maybe that's going to be Mueller/Russia stuff, which I'm not so defensive about.

The issue is you made up a concern about protecting sources; mere non-specific hand wringing would have been less alarmist.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Petr posted:

Haha holy poo poo this argument is Republican as gently caress

Not really. It's more of an observation that if he hadn't been living his dirty internet edgelord fantasies and suing Ecuador for "inhumane conditions" like paying for his own food and laundry, he'd probably still be living in the apartment that they built for him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kaal posted:

Not really. It's more of an observation that if he hadn't been living his dirty internet edgelord fantasies and suing Ecuador for "inhumane conditions" like paying for his own food and laundry, he'd probably still be living in the apartment that they built for him.

Ehh I think he was hosed no matter what he did but the fact that he went full trumpist makes it much easier for me to point and laugh at him and his fate.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Assange almost certainly broke a bunch of laws, and could end up in the really bad US prison system, and is not going to be the victim of some CIA covert black op thing because everything has become super public worldwide already and that's literally the exact opposite of "covert."

Think that about covers it.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Haha Sweden is reopening the rape charges against Assange. Good.

Realistically, he's still going to have to serve his year sentence for bail jumping anyway before he gets extradited to either the US or Sweden right? Local charges take precedence?

I guarantee he is on a plane over the Atlantic right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

It is also the only way we'll get prison reform. Stop protecting the privileged from the horrors of the American Prison system. Make them face consequences.

Yeah, the golden boy Kushner is all about prison reform because his daddy actually had to do time for some of his many crimes.