Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bad news, kid. Esteban Ochoa didn't bring in anything interesting. We'll want to hold on to him. Maybe have him play in LF this season, and see if we can make an outfielder out of him.

We fired on the Chris Archer deal.

We get:

Archer in exchange for Lewis Brinson and Sean Reynolds, a nothing 1B prospect. I didn't want to give up Brinson, but...hear me out.

We also lucked into Sean Doolittle, almost for free...all it took was Daniel Castano, a nothing SP prospect.

We had a SWEET loving haul in the Rule 5 draft.

DJ Peters is a RF with a decent glove and plus power. He killed AA last year and is ML ready. He has 40 HR potential but was buried in the LAD org. He should be able to step in for Brinson right away.

Brett Sullivan is a decent young C who will be our backup to Da Cube.

Ian Gibaut is a righty reliever with 3 plus pitches and 98 mph heat. No idea what he was doing so deep in the Rays system but he has been excellent the last 3 years in the minors.

Mitchell White is another Dodger steal. I have no idea what they were thinking letting this kid go, he's 25 and threw 46 quality innings of ML ball last year.

We also signed Marcus Stroman to a cheap 1 year deal.

JEETS goes to the hall on his first try. Larry Walker drops off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rough news out of Spring Training:

Esteban Ochoa, who was looking GOOD in RF and was poised to make the team out of ST as a 20 year old, is out for the year with an ACL tear.

Jaime Callahan, who was poised to be the next great RP in baseball, is out for the year with "radial nerve decompression" whatever the gently caress that is.

gently caress

edit - and now Mitchell White, who looked ready to make the rotation, is out for most of the year with a finger tendon. This is a bloodbath.

At least Stroman is only missing 3 weeks.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 9, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Losing a Rule 5 pick to injury is like the most depressing thing in the world. "Yes! I got a dude that will slot right into our bullshit org!" "Whoops, his head fell off."

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Next time it comes up we might want to consider looking at a new/different team trainer, because goddamn that's a lot of injuries.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
radial nerve decompression surgery is pretty badass. surgery video here, if you are squeamish don't click on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEixF0OfSrE

that poo poo makes it so you can feel poo poo in your fingers it's pretty important. its fuckin big too.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Ootp in general has a lot of injuries. Its way more fun to play on a lower injury setting but I understand why op has it on high.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only one minor ST roster decision:

Do we want to give Sixto Sanchez a run out in the rotation? He's probably ML-ready, but we can always gently caress with his service time. Our #5 starter is...real bad, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Always ask yourself: WWJD (What Would Jeets Do)

We are absolutely loving with Sixto's service time.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

We also signed Marcus Stroman to a cheap 1 year deal.

I'm torn between being pleased we got Stroman, and sad he had to settle for a one year deal.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Keep Sixto down in the minors to manipulate his service time work on his defense for a few weeks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, Sixto wasn't pleased.

2020 MLB Season

Predicted record: 86-76, .531, 3rd place, NL East

Farm system is now NUMBER ONE. We have the top 4 prospects in baseball, plus #28 (Carter Rustad), and 3 guys in the 100s.

However, this farm isn't really as great as it sounds. Daniel Cerda is #1, which is exactly what I'd expect Pete to produce with a top 5 pick. However, he's at least a year out still, and didn't kill it at high A last year. Sixto Sanchez is #2, which is a great jump for him. He's ML ready, but we're messing with his career. He's looking like a future #1. Spencer Jones is number 3, he's the 2-way 1B/SP, but he sucked it up in Rookie ball and Pete is way down on him, even if the consensus isn't. Finally, Esteban Ochoa is #4, but he's out for a critical developmental year with a bad knee.

Pitching Staff. Sims and Archer are both excellent, and are in the top 20 in the league. After that...things are iffy. It would be huge if Stroman got his groove back.

Lucas Sims
Chris Archer
Marcus Stroman
Caleb Smith
Trevor Richards

Sean Doolittle (CL)
Riley Ferrell
Jimmy Herget
Tommy Eveld
Zac Houston
Dylan Lee
Ian Gibaut
Jose Quijada

Lineup. This lineup has a ton of talent, but absolutely NO proven ML performers other than Da Cube.

Byron Buxton - CF
Ryan McMahon - 3B
Kikuji Hamamura - 1B
DJ Peters - RF
Max Kepler- LF
Willians Astudillo - C
Nick Gordon - 2B
JT Riddle - SS

editors note: they did an update or something today and it rather screwed with my game, causing it to crash. I lost the previous ST, but replayed it and added the serious injuries back in. In the replay we had no serious injuries so...that's cool.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 10, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I know we're the ones who voted for him to scout but my god Pete is a loving cheat code. We've gone from the absolute dregs of MLB to a projected >.500 team with the best farm in baseball. In a year. :lol:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Seriously, next time we've gotta make him something else. Maybe we can have him turn all of our pitchers into literal buzzsaws.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
When did we get the Mets medical team? Good lord

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If I remember right, Pete is a literal cheat code. bewbies hosed with his scouting stats. But honestly scouting is such a black box in this game that I'm honestly not sure how much of an edge it actually gives us aside from being able to fleece the league's GMs (sometimes.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

If I remember right, Pete is a literal cheat code. bewbies hosed with his scouting stats. But honestly scouting is such a black box in this game that I'm honestly not sure how much of an edge it actually gives us aside from being able to fleece the league's GMs (sometimes.)

This is true. I actually think that the best staff member to have is a super pitching coach, so much so that online leagues sometimes ban you from even having one. Pete is awesome though...he's usually good for at least one good trade and one good prospect a year.

That said, it looks like he's missed on a few guys early on this time....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the 2020 Draft, we pick #11. There's four real possibilities here:

Nick Storz. 22 year old RHP. 94 mph heater, 3 plus pitches, but only 3 pitches. Good mental makeup. Probably the #1 college pitcher in the class. Some control issues.

Pat "IRONFIST" Drohan. 18 year old CF. Plus plus power, good contact, good glove. Expensive. Long term project, probably at least 3 years out. Poor plate discipline.

Carlos Perez. 18 year old C. 80 contact tool, 65 power tool. Good patience. Should be above average defensive catcher; would be a fine 1B, has the arm for COF, or possibly 3B.

Trejyn "Tre" Fletcher. 19 year old CF. 5 tool player. 55 contact, 50 power, 70 speed, 75 glove. Good attitude. Expensive. Will strike out a lot but should be a reliable 25 HR/350 OBP player. Relatively advanced for his age, could see the show by 2022.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Franchise catchers are unicorns, get Perez

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

draft Perez move him to 3B

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As much as I want to draft IRONFIST, I agree Perez has to be our target.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'll go with Perez also.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Gimme the Perez move him to 3B

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

How is Perez's Work Ethic? If it's good draft him. If not get Fletcher.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 10, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is Storz a starter? If so always take him.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Perez by any means necessary

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Perez

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Perez it is.

We had another attractive draft. It helps picking high I guess. Yay 2 way players!

Hank Bearden (2/57) is an 18 year old pitcher with some killer junk pitches.

Jimmy Hitchler is a 22 year old CF with a solid bat and a loving killer cutter/curve combo.

Kymani Bethea is a slap hitting 2B with a great looking glove.

Esteban Ayala is a 3B with a weak glove, but 75 contact and 75 power, say Pete.

Yanluis Ortiz is the most interesting pick. He's a SP with a slow-ish fastball, but a great curve. He's also a solid CIF, with 75 power, and 65 eye. He would've been a first round pick, but he wants a lot of money...$2.8mm, for a guy that went in the 6th round. We pay the man, right?

Also: what's Carlos Perez's nickname? He's 5'10" 190, with a great arm and 80/65/60 bat tools. His teammates love him, he's a clubhouse leader, and he was born in Miami. That's...all I got.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

Also: what's Carlos Perez's nickname? He's 5'10" 190, with a great arm and 80/65/60 bat tools. His teammates love him, he's a clubhouse leader, and he was born in Miami. That's...all I got.

comen pasteles

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Carlos the "toolman" Perez

The Miami Glove Machine

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
2020 All Star Break

33-42, .440, 4th Place, NL East.

Well, things haven't gone quite as we'd hoped. Our pitching has been great, but our hitters have been...disappointing, especially our outfield. Buxton and Peters have been absolute offensive black holes this entire season. Terrifyingly so.

If we're going to make the playoffs...or maybe even .500, we need more production from our OF spots. We have three choices:

1) Pay big for a good young OF. There isn't anything available cheap, so...we'd be giving up multiple elite prospects.

2) Paper the hole with a vet. Starling Marte, Steven Souza Jr, and Randall Grichuk are all semi-available, and are all solid MLB players. Marte has a TO for next year, otherwise, they're free agents after the season.

3) Roll with what we got. They have to get better, right?

Good news: League Website is finally up!!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
ROLL WITH IT.

This is a project, things take time.

edit: hahaha gently caress yes Rays leading the AL East RN

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 11, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'd be interesting in picking up Starling Marte if we can get him for a reasonable price.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
They want waaay too much for Marte IMO...a roster player or a top prospect, for a guy who has been just as bad as our guys.

We have a couple upcoming FAs:

Sean Doolittle has been brilliant as our closer. He wants 3/25, but he's 33. I think if he'll go 7m with a team option year, I'm in for him.

Marcus Stroman wants 8/196, and has been pretty bad. Uh...

Extend either of these guys?

For our international signing, we blew the wad on Paullo Schwab, a 6'3", 18 year old Venezuelan. He's a 5 tool CF, with an 80 contact tool, excellent speed, and great range in the OF. He is very, very raw though.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 11, 2019

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

bewbies posted:

They want waaay too much for Marte IMO...a roster player or a top prospect, for a guy who has been just as bad as our guys.

We have a couple upcoming FAs:

Sean Doolittle has been brilliant as our closer. He wants 3/25, but he's 33. I think if he'll go 7m with a team option year, I'm in for him.

Marcus Stroman wants 8/196, and has been pretty bad. Uh...

Extend either of these guys?
Extend Doolittle, no on Stroman.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

GRICHUK. NOW. also extend Stro

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Time to shop the Stro Sho

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We brought in Grichuk for the low low price of Caleb Smith, who I really wanted to get rid of so Sixto Sanchez had a spot in the rotation.

I was hoping to extend Grich, but he wants a 7/160 type contract, which we both cannot afford, and he is not worth. He's here for the playoff push though!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Time to shop the Stro Sho

This actually brought back some decent offers

Vladimir Gutierrez is a ML-ready 24 year old with 3 plus pitches. He's been good in AAA this year.

Devin Mann is the #77 overall prospect. Pete is very high on him, huge power out of 2B, and a plus glove. he's 24 and in high A though.

Fernando Romero is very hard throwing SP who has done very well at AAA. He's 25 and ML ready.

Apparently Jose Reyes is on our AAA team. He's batting .198.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 11, 2019

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Stro for Gutierrez.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Our owner pushed through some shady public funding poo poo again, and is expanding the ballpark and doing some renovations. New seats are going in the outfield, and we have the chance to change the ballpark's dimensions.

Right now, we have one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in baseball, but the outfield isn't particularly spacious compared other pitcher's parks. We can:

VOTE

1) Keep things as they are

2) Move in and lower the walls. Way more dingers (and earned runs) this way.

3) Move in the walls, but keep them high. This would put us about league average for park factor

What do we recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Continue becoming the Twins by getting Romero IMO

I vote for 1 or 3, in that order.