Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I will stand by my opinion that the poster should have had literally any of the main cast on it instead. Brooks, Visitor, Robinson, or Alaimo would have all been infinitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

The real star is the dude whose leg was broken, who Worf had to reset, and didn't even flinch.

When a Klingon re-break your leg and he compliments you over it, you've got stones.

That scene was pretty hardcore now that I think about it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I will stand by my opinion that the poster should have had literally any of the main cast on it instead. Brooks, Visitor, Robinson, or Alaimo would have all been infinitely better.

Definitely, mostly because for me it's about the universe and not some doink behind it. Whatever the focus of the documentary, the universe should be the draw. That face doesn't draw me in...

If I were a producer on something, I would never expect or even want to see my face on promo material. It's a marketing whiff.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Definitely, mostly because for me it's about the universe and not some doink behind it. Whatever the focus of the documentary, the universe should be the draw. That face doesn't draw me in...

If I were a producer on something, I would never expect or even want to see my face on promo material. It's a marketing whiff.

It is. It's a dumb, egotistical move, but I still hope that dumb looking egotist is obsessed enough to see this through all the way and get us DS9HD

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Astroman posted:

Well it's less about the beard and sunglasses and more about them being indicators that me might be an affectation prone, egotistical, sci-fi "personality" like Harlan Ellison.

The fact that he took over the project from Nimoy and made the poster all about him tends to corroborate that.

Everyone complains when everything is about Spock, but then you take over thing from his son and everyone loses their minds

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like this exact conversation, down to the posts, has happened before.

Quick, somebody decompress the shuttle bay!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I feel like this exact conversation, down to the posts, has happened before.

Quick, somebody decompress the shuttle bay!

This thread's existence is not linear. How corporeal of you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What about... we vent drive plasma from the warp nacelles! It might cause enough interference to let us break away (from these awful posts)

Edit: what the poo poo do people use instead of gooncam these days for clipping gifs from video files?

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 11, 2019

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really hope that isn’t the poster they’re sending out to the backers that paid for one :wtc:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If it were Alaimo I'd have it above my bed

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really hope that isn’t the poster they’re sending out to the backers that paid for one :wtc:

If you're a paid backer you already got the Che Nerys t-shirt and I hate you

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Also as someone who both currently has a huge beard and used to bleach/dye my own hair on a bi-weekly basis in high school, the logistics behind bleaching and dyeing a goatee and mustache without ending up looking like a deranged Blue Man Group fanboy must be pretty complicated.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If you're a paid backer you already got the Che Nerys t-shirt and I hate you

It was an add-on that I foolishly declined at the time :negative:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was an add-on that I foolishly declined at the time :negative:

well then you deserve the Bluebeard poster as a constant reminder of your shame

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

This thread's existence is not linear. How corporeal of you.

* suddenly we're on the Threshold planet with Janeway and Paris's lizard babies *

* the Prophets turn to look at the Trekkies *

"You exist here."

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Harriman should have been a Lieutenant by rank who was being called "Captain" by position, to make his apparent lack of experience more believable.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Care to spoil the jist of it for us?

They did that thing where they asked us to please be cool and not talk about it online before the movie comes out, which I'm respecting. But seeing all the chatter here I just wanted to chime in and say I think the doc is worth it for that alone.

Sash! posted:

I could have sworn I once read a story that Jeffrey Combs said Marc Alaimo almost got kicked off a flight they were on because he was freaking out the other passengers.

That seems distressingly plausible.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sash! posted:

I could have sworn I once read a story that Jeffrey Combs said Marc Alaimo almost got kicked off a flight they were on because he was freaking out the other passengers.

It's true but notably absent from the story is the fact that he was in full Dukat makeup at the time

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's true but notably absent from the story is the fact that he was in full Dukat makeup at the time

Arnin Shimerman tells the story about how, during the filming of Profit and Loss, the Northridge Earthquake hit. It was like 4 in the morning, but he and the other "alien" actors were already on set for makeup. So, everything stopped, and everybody rushed home to see if their families and homes were ok.

So he's driving down the highway in his convertible in full Ferengi makeup...

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

He picks up a random baby and crows about what a miracle the pah'wraiths have blessed this congregation with.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

*wrestling the intercom from a flight attendant* ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If it is, it's going right in the trash.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Epicurius posted:

Arnin Shimerman tells the story about how, during the filming of Profit and Loss, the Northridge Earthquake hit. It was like 4 in the morning, but he and the other "alien" actors were already on set for makeup. So, everything stopped, and everybody rushed home to see if their families and homes were ok.

That’s a good story, but nothing will ever beat the story of the movie ‘Master of Disguise’ where they were filming the scene in the movie where the main character is dressed like a turtle on 9/11, when the cast was informed what happened and there was a moment of silence on the set with Dana Carvey in a turtle costume

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
what would be perfect is if ira wore guyliner that nobody can see

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Epicurius posted:

I've heard this story before but don't know why they wouldn't take the two minutes to yank the big bits off before he ran out the door.

The "Arnold grabbing a sandwich while wearing terminator makeup" story at least presumes he was intending to go back to filming soon.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Alice (VOY S06E05) is one of the worst episodes of Voyager. I usually dislike episodes which involve mind-control. The writers admitted The Chute was created partially because they couldn't think of an idea to make Tom Paris and Harry Kim interesting without making them do something un-Star Trek, so they had to use mind control to induce it. Here, there's a metaphor about being too obsessed with a hobby at the expense of workplace productivity (as in one's main purpose in life, not working for a boss), friends, and family, but it's a boringly transparent metaphor. There's also a little ambiguity as to whether this really counts as cheating on B'Elanna, in a way that the writers wouldn't be willing to show directly because no one wants to cringe-watch a cheater.

Memorial (VOY S06E14) was really good. It's interesting that people seem split as to whether Janeway made the right decision repairing the memorial but deploying a warning beacon, on the grounds the beacon and the memorial could in time fall back into a state of disrepair. Any society advanced enough to create the memorial could have deployed the beacon in the first place, but they probably weren't thinking about it because they were only thinking about their own local community and not a broader interstellar community, or perhaps they had a warning beacon and it fell into a state of disrepair by the time Janeway encountered it. I agreed with her decision, though, on the grounds that the beacon being in the Federation data banks will suffice as publicity. There was some good acting all around, and a lot of moments where I was on the edge of my seat expecting a jump scare.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 12, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
List me off the most insane janeway episodes. where she's off the chain war criminalizing

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pick posted:

List me off the most insane janeway episodes. where she's off the chain war criminalizing

For sure "Equinox, part 2." Also that one with "delete the wife."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tuvix

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard this story before but don't know why they wouldn't take the two minutes to yank the big bits off before he ran out the door.

That would destroy it for sure, and I'm pretty sure the hero pieces get used multiple times before they degrade enough that they have to be recreated.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pick posted:

fair haven

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Bride of Chaotica, where Janeway gets to vamp it up.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Thaw is worth it to begin with, but ends with Janeway terrifying the dying villain.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

*wrestling the intercom from a flight attendant* ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS

*standing by empty baggage carousel* Everything I have lost I will regain. It's only a matter of time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pick posted:

Everything in Living Witness is canon. Everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yeah but they'd all flown home by then probably. At this point it was most likely just him and a few buddies in a home editing bay wanting to make a neat poster and photoshop.

I feel like people read to much into things around here.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

MikeJF posted:

I feel like people read to much into things around here.

in the star trek thread? unlikely

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lol but seriously I posted:

in the star trek thread? unlikely

True. But it's fun to read things into the fictional universe part.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
ira behr is cooler than any of you nerds. he co-wrote "Far Beyond the Stars" the gently caress you ever do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

ira behr is cooler than any of you nerds. he co-wrote "Far Beyond the Stars" the gently caress you ever do?

i once pooped while being held by a celebrity

(i was a baby)