Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1116291181594533890

Oh what a surprise, all the goons claiming Assange was being paranoid about a non-existent secret extradition request were wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1116153844663291911?s=19

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The son of a cop? Surprised he got arrested.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ither posted:

The son of a cop? Surprised he got arrested.

His dad actually turned him in :lol:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some of those who work forces, are the same that burn churches?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ornedan posted:

Oh what a surprise, all the goons claiming Assange was being paranoid about a non-existent secret extradition request were wrong.

I believe there was an indictment hanging around for him from one of the Trump investigations. Unless I'm missremembering and it wasn't an Assange sealed indictment that accidentally leaked when one of the lawyers hosed up redaction.

Which would be kind of funny, not being nabbed over the thing you thought the US was mad about, but because you helped out Donny.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bird food bathtub posted:

They're the chosen whites.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ornedan posted:

It was only non existant for the first seven years of his time in the embassy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yep. Assange thought he was protecting himself by helping Trump get elected, but he was actually screwing himself over.

I have no sympathy for him, but I hope the charges against him are carefully chosen and won't set an anti-press freedom precedent.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Yep. Assange thought he was protecting himself by helping Trump get elected, but he was actually screwing himself over.

I have no sympathy for him, but I hope the charges against him are carefully chosen and won't set an anti-press freedom precedent.

I've always wondered about the legal theory of charging a foreign national over releasing American secrets. How is there a claim of jurisdiction?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

bird food bathtub posted:

Sons of those who work forces

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I've always wondered about the legal theory of charging a foreign national over releasing American secrets. How is there a claim of jurisdiction?

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1116343038194798593

I guess that's an actual crime, but probably not a very serious one.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Agents are GO! posted:

Releasing the secrets was journalism, so the DoJ couldn't charge him for that without opening the mother of all freedom of the press cans of worms. The theory behind this indictment, or so I have read, is that he conspired to have the secrets stolen.

E:F,b.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jethro posted:

Releasing the secrets was journalism, so the DoJ couldn't charge him for that without opening the mother of all freedom of the press cans of worms. The theory behind this indictment, or so I have read, is that he conspired to have the secrets stolen.

E:F,b.

And as we all know, the judicial system drops you right on your face wrt conspiracy charges. Assange is hosed.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

fool_of_sound posted:

https://twitter.com/EDVAnews/status/1116324801281445888

quote:

The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning...

Seems to be old grudges that they're getting Assange for.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ornedan posted:

https://twitter.com/EDVAnews/status/1116324801281445888

Seems to be old grudges that they're getting Assange for.

Yes but but actual indictment dates to a bit over a year ago

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fool_of_sound posted:

It's almost like there are superseding charges practically hovering an inch above Assange's head.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

fool_of_sound posted:

Which indicates at that they wrongly thought they'd gotten Ecuador to revoke Assange's asylum back then. Just took a bit longer.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Nah this is about the Trump justice department washing their hands of the who DNC hacking scandal. Immediately after Trump took office Jeff Sessions announced they were going to be 'looking into' Assange. American intelligence agencies have their own reasons to want him, but that wasn't the driving force here.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
The parallels between Trump and a mob boss are ridiculous. Help him out by committing crimes in his name? He'll have you (figuratively) murdered to tie up the loose ends.

Kale
May 14, 2010

There's something especially telling to me about what a shady gently caress Julian Assange is that every news comment and youtube video section about this story is already filled with the absolute craziest conspiracy theory nonsense I've heard outside of Info Wars and Fox News slandering the President of Ecuador (who gave plenty of compelling reasons as to why their government had run out of patience with Assange) and just coming up with various and often conflicting rationale as to why he's somehow a victim of something or other. It isn't quite clear to me cause it's so all over the loving place (likely a lot of Russian propaganda bots being deployed too) and nonsensical but the common thread seem to be about how he's some sort of heroic "true journalist" that's being set up and betrayed by Moreno and sold to the wolves....or something. It literally just comes across as the most half rear end concocted collective propaganda take pieced together from greatest hits type language that has worked on social media before, and that's going to try to make the rounds by sheer volume and bulk of content in how it's already being spread as opposed to any common thread of sense and defense of the guy.

Julian Assange, totally normal human being with a totally normal and not at all cult of devotion as to his activities and not at all a propagandist with the backing of other propaganda arms.

e: Oh everyone of these comments trying to paint the guy as a victim hero of some sort completely seems to ignore the fact that the guy actively jumped bail. That's not even in question like the espionage charges he was facing, that's just a fact that a felony was committed there. I guess none of this poo poo matters anymore when you desperately want to cling to a position or ideal about something or someone.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 11, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kale posted:

There's something especially telling to me about what a shady gently caress Julian Assange is that every news comment and youtube video section about this story is already filled with the absolute craziest conspiracy theory nonsense I've heard outside of Info Wars and Fox News slandering the President of Ecuador (who gave plenty of compelling reasons as to why their government had run out of patience with Assange) and just coming up with various and often conflicting rationale as to why he's somehow a victim of something or other. It isn't quite clear to me cause it's so all over the loving place (likely a lot of Russian propaganda bots being deployed too) and nonsensical but the common thread seem to be about how he's some sort of heroic "true journalist" that's being set up and betrayed by Moreno and sold to the wolves....or something. It literally just comes across as the most half rear end concocted collective propaganda take pieced together from greatest hits type language that has worked on social media before, and that's going to try to make the rounds by sheer volume and bulk of content in how it's already being spread as opposed to any common thread of sense and defense of the guy.

Julian Assange, totally normal human being with a totally normal and not at all cult of devotion as to his activities and not at all a propagandist with the backing of other propaganda arms.

e: Oh everyone of these comments trying to paint the guy as a victim hero of some sort completely seems to ignore the fact that the guy actively jumped bail. That's not even in question like the espionage charges he was facing, that's just a fact that a felony was committed there. I guess none of this poo poo matters anymore when you desperately want to cling to a position or ideal about something or someone.

Assange can be both a scumbag and a journalist, and it can be real shady to suddenly reverse course with a new administration and hand him over to the country where there isn't an actual criminal charge waiting for him like the rape in Sweden and where he's not a citizen/involved in any way in.

Like, it feels like if we all agree guys like Snowden shouldn't get black bagged back to America the same principle applies here even if this dude's more of a scumbag.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Assange can be both a scumbag and a journalist, and it can be real shady to suddenly reverse course with a new administration and hand him over to the country where there isn't an actual criminal charge waiting for him like the rape in Sweden and where he's not a citizen/involved in any way in.

But there are limits to journalism. It is illegal to break into someone's home and look through their stuff for a story. Or tap their phone lines. Just as it is illegal to hack or encourage your source to hack into a system.

I mean I think it is good that this information came out. But it was illegal and these aren't some trumped up espionage charges. It's a single hacking charge that might even be tough to prove.

Really hate to give credit to the DOJ but they seem to have found a happy medium here. The journalism side is protected but you can't break the law and hide behind that veil either.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Niwrad posted:

But there are limits to journalism. It is illegal to break into someone's home and look through their stuff for a story. Or tap their phone lines. Just as it is illegal to hack or encourage your source to hack into a system.

I mean I think it is good that this information came out. But it was illegal and these aren't some trumped up espionage charges. It's a single hacking charge that might even be tough to prove.

Really hate to give credit to the DOJ but they seem to have found a happy medium here. The journalism side is protected but you can't break the law and hide behind that veil either.

the very fact that we're getting him when he's A) not a citizen, B) did nothing here except apparently send an email to Manning telling to try to use a method that didn't even work, and C) has no actual ties here is a massive overreach and a sure sign there's going to be a poo poo load of trumped up bullshit added on. The hacking charge is completely insane to begin with.

Why on earth would you trust the DOJ to follow a 'happy medium' ever, let alone in a case like this?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Regardless of what you think Assange is, if he's shipped to america they are definitely going to hold him in a secret facility and torture the gently caress out of him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also, where they try to use anything he says as a cudgel to further stomp Manning's neck

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Regardless of what you think Assange is, if he's shipped to america they are definitely going to hold him in a secret facility and torture the gently caress out of him.

No they won't, he's too well known. They don't rendition famous people it draws to much attention, this isn't Russia. They'll charge him in order to pressure him to give up others then offer him some sort of plea deal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skex posted:

No they won't, he's too well known. They don't rendition famous people it draws to much attention, this isn't Russia. They'll charge him in order to pressure him to give up others then offer him some sort of plea deal.

Chelsea Manning was incredibly well known and they literally only just decided to stop putting her in solitary for no reason, my good dude

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

sexpig by night posted:

also, where they try to use anything he says as a cudgel to further stomp Manning's neck

Manning's predicament is her own stupidity at this point. Grand Jury testimony is secret by default and for a reason, Christ how can you not understand this with all the talk about having to get a judges order for an exception to the rules regarding the secrecy of grand jury testimony in the Mueller report?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Chelsea Manning was incredibly well known and they literally only just decided to stop putting her in solitary for no reason, my good dude

Solitary as bad as it is, is a far loving cry from being disappeared into a black site.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skex posted:

Manning's predicament is her own stupidity at this point. Grand Jury testimony is secret by default and for a reason, Christ how can you not understand this with all the talk about having to get a judges order for an exception to the rules regarding the secrecy of grand jury testimony in the Mueller report?

Skex posted:

Solitary as bad as it is, is a far loving cry from being disappeared into a black site.

oh so you got no clue about what's going on, ok cool thanks for clearing things up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

the very fact that we're getting him when he's A) not a citizen, B) did nothing here except apparently send an email to Manning telling to try to use a method that didn't even work, and C) has no actual ties here is a massive overreach and a sure sign there's going to be a poo poo load of trumped up bullshit added on. The hacking charge is completely insane to begin with.

Why on earth would you trust the DOJ to follow a 'happy medium' ever, let alone in a case like this?

A) It doesn't matter. We have extradited people for hacking before.

B) That's technically a crime.

C) I really don't think they're going to hit him with the espionage stuff. The only thing they might tack on are stuff through the Mueller investigation and I'm not sure those would be trumped up. It was pretty clear he's been acting as a foreign agent for some time now.

I also don't understand why the hacking charge is insane? He literally asked for her to hack into the system to get him information. With that said, it's a minor charge and he's not going to spend a ton of time in prison for it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Personally I'd much rather the hilarity of the guy getting extradited from country to country and winding up doing a world tour of jail cells.

Seriously though, how dumb to you have to be to antagonize the only government between you and a bunch of them after your blood the way he did?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Niwrad posted:

A) It doesn't matter. We have extradited people for hacking before.

B) That's technically a crime.

C) I really don't think they're going to hit him with the espionage stuff. The only thing they might tack on are stuff through the Mueller investigation and I'm not sure those would be trumped up. It was pretty clear he's been acting as a foreign agent for some time now.

I also don't understand why the hacking charge is insane? He literally asked for her to hack into the system to get him information. With that said, it's a minor charge and he's not going to spend a ton of time in prison for it.

if you think it should be illegal just for a journalist to merely interact with someone doing something illegal then congrats on gutting actual investigative journalism I guess.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sexpig by night posted:

if you think it should be illegal just for a journalist to merely interact with someone doing something illegal then congrats on gutting actual investigative journalism I guess.

Whether or not it should be illegal is a completely separate issue. What he did is, in fact, currently illegal.

An important part of social activism is willingly accepting the consequences of your acts. The whole point of deliberately breaking unjust laws is to force their enforcement and provoke public backlash.

Unfortunately, nobody is going to shed a single tear for Julian Assange's pasty rear end.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Chelsea Manning went to prison this year on a point of principle (secret grand juries are hella shady and bad, a position I agree with in all but a few Philbyesque edge cases), Assange hid in an embassy to dodge sexual assault charges from a country that most likely wouldn't have extradited him. There's no comparison IMO.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 12, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Outlets that will publish and protect whistleblowers are vitally important, but Assange's Wikileaks is not a good example of such an outlet. It's a fairly inept organization that routinely fails to make even cursory efforts to verify or consider the collateral harms of their leaks, or protect their sources. Worse, they're just as happy to work with neo-nazis as they are leftists, because their core goal isn't justice or anti-imperialism: it's contrarianism and a desire for infamy masquerading as idealism.

What's loving tragic is that there aren't many alternatives and that most people can't seem to see past a really stupid binary about them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, theres a difference between interacting with someone and telling them "hey, you should do a crime. Here have some tools for doing said crime"

mystes
May 31, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

Worse, they're just as happy to work with neo-nazis as they are leftists
I think the supposed idea was that they would basically just indiscriminately publish everything they were sent and thereby eventually get governments to give up and be more transparent, and there may be some logic to that idea, but they seem to have actually selectively released information to benefit Trump so it's not even true that they're "just as happy to work with neo-nazis as leftists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/Pablo3names/status/1116052286604763137
2https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1116536461745172481
3https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1116648267260026880
4https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1116642143416782849
5https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1116395553322143744
6https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1116399142635487233