Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Defiant Sally posted:

He's just a weird gently caress and says and does weird poo poo. He actively respositions himself in the gym based on where I'm working out, always somewhere in my peripheral, and then starts looking around left to right, trying to nonchalantly and casually make eye contact with me. He'll even do this when I'm mid set doing volume squats or lunges. He'll just stand there in the mirror behind me, flicking his eyes around like a lizard. Once he's got me talking past 'hey dude', he'll immediately try bait me into answering questions about diet and training. He works out a little earlier than me, and a couple times now he's been waiting for me after his workout for god knows how long, waylaying me with another conversation on my way into the gym. I've managed to avoid him by going upstairs to the track level as soon as I get into the gym a couple times, but I've seen him come up and do a single lap around the track, looking for me.

Today he just happened to be parked 2 stalls down from me at the back of the parking lot, getting out of his car at the exact same time as I did. Of course I scurry away as fast as I can without acknowledging him before he has a chance to 'see' me. In my haste to escape, my belt ends up slipping off my bag and I don't notice because I'm fearing for my life. As I'm power walking away from him I'm looking in the reflection of the windows of the gym to see if he's tailing me. Sure enough I see this hunched over gremlin looking gently caress scuttling after me, half running, trying to catch up to me so he can slip in the door behind me and no doubt call me the Hero of Kvatch. As I reach the door, I realize my belts somehow missing so I pull an abrupt 180 to walk back to my car, dodging him entirely. Despite my best efforts, I still managed to make 1/15th of a second eye contact with him during my workout, so of course he tried to start a conversation with me and I just flat out ignored him.

So if I end up getting dissolved in a vat of acid now you guys know why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqKhyIRe6w

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFH-y-gJn6w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Managed 260lbsx2 on the bench this morning, thanks to rando spotter for the assist. 265 by the end of April seems within reach!

poo poo, you've probably got it now on a good day.

e- I managed to hit 240 for 5, 5 and 7 last night so I'm gonna keep bumping it up. Down 12lbs in just over 3 weeks & like 25~ this year, sorry salami fam

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

trap bar is not a substitute for a deadlift.

Sure if you are doing it wrong maybe.

It absolutely is a good substitute for the DL. Pretend I posted the article with the science to back it up.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

Pretend I posted the article with the science to back it up.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If you're "comfortable" at the beginning a trap bar deadlift, you're strongly favoring the squat end of the squat-hinge continuum. A proper hip hinge movement feels uncomfortable as hell because before you even start, all the posterior musculature from your upper back down to your knees should be tense. If you like trap bar deadlifts because they're "comfortable", then you're indeed doing the equivalent of a pin squat from half depth.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Yeah, you hear that you assholes? You're doing it WRONG. You should be feeling awkward as poo poo

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like trap bar deadlifts because I can my shoulders back further without squishing my balls and/or wiener with the bar

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

feelix posted:

If you're "comfortable" at the beginning a trap bar deadlift, you're strongly favoring the squat end of the squat-hinge continuum. A proper hip hinge movement feels uncomfortable as hell because before you even start, all the posterior musculature from your upper back down to your knees should be tense. If you like trap bar deadlifts because they're "comfortable", then you're indeed doing the equivalent of a pin squat from half depth.

:lol:

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
I actually find trap bar deads uncomfortable and much prefer pulling a straight bar.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

feelix posted:

My hip hinge is on point, thanks kettlebell swings and snatches.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

pretend i said that you all should subscribe to MASS here:

Winstons
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah sorry it's hard to take the guy seriously who thinks Aliens is a poo poo movie

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dilber posted:

pretend i said that you all should subscribe to MASS here:

$30 a month? That's more than my gym membership.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Winstons posted:

Yeah sorry it's hard to take the guy seriously who thinks Aliens is a poo poo movie

Trap bar deadlifts are the dumbed-down, flashy sequel to barbell deadlifts

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
getting stronger at trap bar deads will do absolutely gently caress all for your conventional deadlift

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

But what if

Just hear me out here

You don't give a gently caress about getting a stronger conventional dl

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

MA-Horus posted:

But what if

Just hear me out here

I've just started training again after 2 weeks off due to the flu.
Not just 2 weeks off training - 2 weeks barely getting out of bed.
I took a double scoop of that All Black Everything preworkout on Sunday and tried to squat the weight I was doing before I got sick.
Today is the first day I can sit on the toilet without almost crying from the pain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Whats wrong with sitting on the toilet while crying ? Do it all the time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

getting stronger at trap bar deads will do absolutely gently caress all for your conventional deadlift

Lol.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

just like kettlebell swings won't do anything for your conventional deadlift :rolleye:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Trap bar deads are uses by plenty of strength and conditioning coaches. They arent the best primary movement for building the conventional deadlift and its variations, but it also isnt a useless variation/supplemental/accessory movement for conventional deads.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I don't squat & my legs are bigger than yours.

REAL TALK: If you're a powerlifter or strongman who competes, by all means skip trap bar DL's. Otherwise, who gives a poo poo. I do them every 3 months or so just to make the other guys at the gym think I'm strong as gently caress I'm not

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I don't squat & my legs are bigger than yours.

There are people who don't work out at all who have legs bigger than yours

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

Nap Ghost
Leg fight!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Just PRd my bench

Small Salamis compared to some of y'all but it felt great.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

feelix posted:

There are people who don't work out at all who have legs bigger than yours

Where? WHERE?!?!?!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MA-Horus posted:

But what if

Just hear me out here

At that point, why even live? I mean I guess there's still bench....

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Numbers only in service of physique ftw

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

MA-Horus posted:

Just PRd my bench

Don't feel bad, I've yet to hit 200. But I'm close!

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

Just PRd my bench

Good work. Also we should lift sometime.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

MA-Horus posted:

Just PRd my bench

Kudos my goon, good job!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Where? WHERE?!?!?!

Bariatric care?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
the rock is jacked af but is actually weak af too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you're looking for jacked people who are also Supa Stronk then look no further than up and comer Larry Wheels. He calls himself the worlds strongest bodybuilder and he's probably right. He's a 20 something that has blown up on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRPLMQslSg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgMtStkvyyw&t=605s

He has been training with both Thor and Eddie in strongman poo poo and was last seen getting interested in armwrestling. He is also refreshingly honest about his steroid usage

It turns out armwrestlers are pretty stronk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkL-bAH8H4&t=3s

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 12, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A gorilla would wreck all those dudes though

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

david carmichael posted:

Good work. Also we should lift sometime.

I was actually training at West last weekend

I know it's only a year old but I love love LOVE how loving clean that gym is. JH takes such good care of the place. Such a nice dude too, I sent him a message asking if I could come by for a lift and how I should pay, he's just like "I just re-activated your entry card, have fun."

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

I was actually training at West last weekend

I know it's only a year old but I love love LOVE how loving clean that gym is. JH takes such good care of the place. Such a nice dude too, I sent him a message asking if I could come by for a lift and how I should pay, he's just like "I just re-activated your entry card, have fun."

Its definitely the besy gym Ive ever been to for a lot of reasons. Awesome owners, super well maintained and clean, awesome people, great/cool equipment, etc. It is lousy with youths so i have plenty of Old Man Yells At Cloud moments, but fewer of those moments than I have in any other gym.

For instance, the last time i was at my second favourite gym i seent a bunch of high school kids hitting nose torque before every set for 1 hour.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Someone convince me not to do the conjugate method in like a month. My form is bad, im weak, i have no coach and no good training partners. But i have a shitload of bars, a mono, bands, chains, ghr, hyper, belt squat, etc. and if i set up my DE days with straight weight I should be able to do my ME or DE days in any gym while Im travelling

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

david carmichael posted:

Someone convince me not to do the conjugate method in like a month. My form is bad, im weak, i have no coach and no good training partners. But i have a shitload of bars, a mono, bands, chains, ghr, hyper, belt squat, etc. and if i set up my DE days with straight weight I should be able to do my ME or DE days in any gym while Im travelling

It'll be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

david carmichael posted:

My form is bad, im weak, i have no coach and no good training partners

I don't remember posting this