Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

K loving LOOK

Oh balls that’s the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Hey Phone, August will you be in Fuji speedway? If it’s the weekend I love to go but hotels and stuff are filling up fast so you better book stuff now

Do you seriously communicate with this person by loving forum posts. Use line you retarded clown.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Do you seriously communicate with this person by loving forum posts. Use line you retarded clown.

Don't sign your posts.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

Or the one that got rolled by Nigerians in Roppongi for five grand after a goon meet, lol.

How do those Nigerians get visas anyway? Always wondered about that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LyonsLions posted:

Or you can be like that legendary goon that showed up on a weekend without telling his bank that he was traveling and they blocked his card the first time he tried to use it so he had no access to money for two days.

i got my cc stolen back in the states when i still had a week left in my trip and i'll tell ya that was not a fun time

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

Hey Phone, August will you be in Fuji speedway? If it’s the weekend I love to go but hotels and stuff are filling up fast so you better book stuff now

I doubt it. Right now I'm going to be in country from May 22 to June 11. I might schedule something for the fall, but no plans just yet.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knuc U Kinte posted:

one of the greatest posts we ever had in the China LAN thread was one goon telling another to check their phone, implying that they checked the forums more often than they looked at their mobile phone. lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pls add me to line chat

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's better for getting in from Narita to Tokyo, NEX or the Keisei Skyliner? I completely blanked out on how to get from the Airport to Tokyo, so thankfully it doesn't look like you have to reserve seats in advance or some poo poo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Stringent posted:

Since the onsen you're visiting is in Okubo (I think?) I'd suggest you go to a Korean place since that area is one of Tokyo's bigger Korean districts.

Here's two places I like:
https://foursquare.com/v/%E9%9F%93%...f0037049c8af1a0
https://foursquare.com/v/%E3%81%A8%...964a5203f4034e3

Yooo these look fuckin DOPE! I can't find the second one's actual name though, Google translate just gives me "Korean style charcoal grilled chicken specialty store spicy" which... doesn't help narrow it down on Google maps, haha. Most of the Korean restaurants on Google maps are titled "Korean restaurant" followed by that in katakana, then all the kanji :psyduck: I think I might've found it right here?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Where you going in Tokyo?

Nex looks like it came right out of Mass Effect so...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Doctor Zero posted:

Where you going in Tokyo?

Our hotel's near the Okachimachi station, so my plan was to get to either Ueno or Okachimachi and walk from there. Apparently Keisei goes directly to Ueno, so that works I think?

quote:

Oh my god that thing is loving dope.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh yeah, and if anyone's got suggestions for cool poo poo to seek out in the city (besides the walk-around-and-find-poo poo part), lay them on me. We don't have an itinerary for Tokyo besides hitting up Asakusa, Shinjuku, Sky Deck, and maybe Odaiba at some point.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Oh yeah, and if anyone's got suggestions for cool poo poo to seek out in the city (besides the walk-around-and-find-poo poo part), lay them on me. We don't have an itinerary for Tokyo besides hitting up Asakusa, Shinjuku, Sky Deck, and maybe Odaiba at some point.

Please please please surprise your parents and take them to the robot show then like, livestream it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Johnny Truant posted:

Yooo these look fuckin DOPE! I can't find the second one's actual name though, Google translate just gives me "Korean style charcoal grilled chicken specialty store spicy" which... doesn't help narrow it down on Google maps, haha. Most of the Korean restaurants on Google maps are titled "Korean restaurant" followed by that in katakana, then all the kanji :psyduck: I think I might've found it right here?

You’ve referred to the second one and then given google translate of the first one’s name and then appear to have linked a completely different place a block away from the first one

If you go back to the four square links you will find that it gives the exact address for each restaurant. Try putting those in google maps if searching for names isn’t working

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pollyanna posted:

The area west of Asakusa toward Ueno is one of my favorite parts of the city for aimless wandering.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Soricidus posted:

You’ve referred to the second one and then given google translate of the first one’s name and then appear to have linked a completely different place a block away from the first one

If you go back to the four square links you will find that it gives the exact address for each restaurant. Try putting those in google maps if searching for names isn’t working

:hmmyes:

Yup, it's me, the gaijin who can't even copy and paste the english translated directions into google maps :negative:

Thank you, though!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

National museum but don’t stack your itinerary and overload on your parents

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

Bloodnose posted:

How do those Nigerians get visas anyway? Always wondered about that.

Any way they can, many are on spouse visas.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Phone posted:

Pls add me to line chat

Please send a message after adding me! At least you posted this. Young people these days have no manners!!!! Do you want a peppermint?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Johnny Truant posted:

Please please please surprise your parents and take them to the robot show then like, livestream it.

I don't really wanna go to that, that thing looks like a pain in the rear end.

Grand Fromage posted:

The area west of Asakusa toward Ueno is one of my favorite parts of the city for aimless wandering.

You mean like the area that Google Maps calls Taito City? Sweet, that's close to where we're staying.

caberham posted:

National museum but don’t stack your itinerary and overload on your parents

I'm worried about the opposite - not having enough to do and we just twiddle our thumbs. Which won't happen but still.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So do I need a physical photo to get my touristy visa for Japan? I had one but they took it in Cambodia. If I need to I can probably find a passport photo place.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What country is your passport from? US and EU (and Mexican!) citizens just show up and a digital photo is taken at the immigration window.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

So do I need a physical photo to get my touristy visa for Japan? I had one but they took it in Cambodia. If I need to I can probably find a passport photo place.

This guy is trolling

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Doesn’t know how to get out of an airport and now this? Pollyanna and other newbie travel goons are dumb but are not smart enough to know about visa restrictions and deportations because they are oblivious/white as hell

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

You mean like the area that Google Maps calls Taito City? Sweet, that's close to where we're staying.

I'm worried about the opposite - not having enough to do and we just twiddle our thumbs. Which won't happen but still.

Your parents are demanding, neurotic type and raised you to have random nervous breakdowns and confidence issues.

But they are actually slow, stubborn and not very smart because they don’t have their poo poo put together and can’t even sort out a god drat vacation in japan for a few days.

So take it easy and if in doubt, find a cafe or tea house to sit, and just walk their legs off in each activity

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He’s not close enough yet for PM and everything is tentative, turns out dates don’t match anyways so oh well I WAS RIGHT

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

peanut posted:

What country is your passport from? US and EU (and Mexican!) citizens just show up and a digital photo is taken at the immigration window.

US. In Cambodia they wanted ( to keep) a physical photo for my Visa. I wasn't sure about Japan.

caberham posted:

Doesn’t know how to get out of an airport and now this? Pollyanna and other newbie travel goons are dumb but are not smart enough to know about visa restrictions and deportations because they are oblivious/white as hell

Forgive me that I am not a travel master for thr first time I go overseas.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pollyanna posted:

If you manage to run out of things to do in Tokyo in just a few days, you will deserve a special prize!

Worst case there are always plenty of world class shops and cafes and things. Or head down to the river and take a boat ride. Or chill out in one of the many parks.

Also can confirm that’s a good area for wandering the streets

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
But back to coin purses...

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Spent my friday evening watching Japanese street food videos on youtube.

Wtf man wtf

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I'm really not gonna be starved for poo poo to do, am I? The country in general sounds like a great place to just sit and drink and people watch at least. v:v:v

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

arisu posted:

Spent my friday evening watching Japanese street food videos on youtube.

Wtf man wtf

What street food?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Stringent posted:

What street food?

Mostly watching this guy's stuff for tonight:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCixD9UbKvDxzGNiPC_fgHyA/videos

So far I've watched the Ameyoko, Shinjuku Shin Okubo, Tsukiji, Jujo Ginza, Yokohama Chinatown, and Harajuku sweets videos. And I keep going, someone send help or send some delicious yakitori

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

arisu posted:

Mostly watching this guy's stuff for tonight:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCixD9UbKvDxzGNiPC_fgHyA/videos

So far I've watched the Ameyoko, Shinjuku Shin Okubo, Tsukiji, Jujo Ginza, Yokohama Chinatown, and Harajuku sweets videos. And I keep going, someone send help or send some delicious yakitori

I looked at the Yokohama one just now. I always buy meat from Kinryo when I'm there, but iunno about the rest of it. Who the hell eats pancakes in Chinatown?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is currently my favorite place in Chinatown:
四五六菜館 本館 - 中区山下町190 - http://4sq.com/amJoYT

Only the honkan or shinkan though, the bekkan had a cut down menu and the cooks are definitely second stringers.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Ya that Chinatown one is my least favorite so far, I liked this guy's for Chinatown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxtJUHP_nc

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

arisu posted:

Ya that Chinatown one is my least favorite so far, I liked this guy's for Chinatown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxtJUHP_nc

Yeah that was good. I've never tried that noodle place, I'd like to give it a go.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

If you know the location can you drop me a link? Usually Mike Chen's stuff is easy to find through his links but that vid he just linked Chinatown and I'd like to maybe stop by that noodle place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

arisu posted:

If you know the location can you drop me a link? Usually Mike Chen's stuff is easy to find through his links but that vid he just linked Chinatown and I'd like to maybe stop by that noodle place.

https://tabelog.com/en/kanagawa/A1401/A140105/14000137/