Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

i once pooped while being held by a celebrity

(i was a baby)

I was apparently held by one of the Ramones but I don’t think I pooped :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ships passing in the night

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

i once pooped while being held by a celebrity

(i was a baby)

i also peaked at a young age

HD DAD posted:

I was apparently held by one of the Ramones but I don’t think I pooped :(

print the legend

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Was it one of the originals (Marky would be acceptable) or was it like CJ or Richie?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Deadlock (VOY S02E21) was a great episode. It and "Timeless" seem to be an acknowledgement that whenever there's a high-risk situation, it's only because it's a work of fiction that they always win the day, and in a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure version of the show there'd be a lot of "bad endings". Harry Kim's stunt in Sick Bay was movie-caliber. Around the middle, I expected that one of the two ships would be destroyed, rather than a parallel universe separation, but I didn't expect it'd be the undamaged ship via self-destruct after being boarded and taken over by Vidiians.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 12, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Been awhile since I watched it but I seem to recall Counterpoint was a good Voyager episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard this story before but don't know why they wouldn't take the two minutes to yank the big bits off before he ran out the door.

The "Arnold grabbing a sandwich while wearing terminator makeup" story at least presumes he was intending to go back to filming soon.

Two minutes is a lot of time, and I imagine they'd gotten used to it at that point. And when you really need to hug your family, it's as urgent as putting yourself out if you're on fire.

I shook the Prime Minister's hand once when I was 13 and then shouted at him to free the refugees. He was a short weirdo. It may have been contagious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BYOBlol but srly I posted:

ira behr is cooler than any of you nerds. he co-wrote "Far Beyond the Stars" the gently caress you ever do?

I was far beyond the stars.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

galenanorth posted:

Deadlock (VOY S02E21) was a great episode. It and "Timeless" seem to be an acknowledgement that whenever there's a high-risk situation, it's only because it's a work of fiction that they always win the day, and in a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure version of the show there'd be a lot of "bad endings". Harry Kim's stunt in Sick Bay was movie-caliber. Around the middle, I expected that one of the two ships would be destroyed, rather than a parallel universe separation, but I didn't expect it'd be the undamaged ship via self-destruct after being boarded and taken over by Vidiians.

I hate VOY a lot, but the Vidiians were a legit cool and creepy Trek villain, up there with TNG season 2/3 Borg, imho. I know they are kind of a B story in that episode, but just mentioning the Vidiians ratchets up the tension because of their backstory.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Like everything else in Voyager, the Vidiians are a really great idea executed terribly and then promptly forgotten.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phylodox posted:

Like everything else in Voyager, the Vidiians are a really great idea executed terribly and then promptly forgotten.
Yeah they never had a great episode.

Instead they seemed to have a lot of gimmick episodes like the one just mentioned, then the one where they steal Neelix’s lungs, or the one where they somehow split B’Elanna into a human and a Klingon (as two different people?)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Vidiians were always the B-story and never the A-story. They decided it'd be better to focus on "why can't gangs learn to read" villains who never posed a threat because their technology was too primitive and their culture too divided against one another, from the imagination of 1990s hand-wringing. Medical exploitation for experimental purposes, meanwhile, is still relevant today as it is being done today in immigration camps

edit: That was a little too negative, and there was no need to re-tread criticisms that had already been made. I think I only typed it because I'm waiting on something, and I should've used that time on something else

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From the greatest gen Facebook group

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How did Gul Dukat accidentally knock up a bajoran woman when it was clearly established that interspecies hybrids had to be made with a science?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Because cardassians are just an ethnic minority of bajorans, discriminated against because of their necks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I guess not all of them need to be?

Or because Bajorans and Cardassians are space-neighbors, maybe their genetic makeup is somehow close enough to be compatible. Who the hell knows, it's an allegory for comfort women in Japanese-occupied China.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

From the greatest gen Facebook group

ughh

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How did Gul Dukat accidentally knock up a bajoran woman when it was clearly established that interspecies hybrids had to be made with a science?

Are you referring to Worf and Jadzia? Because I think that just establishes that some pairings need extra help.

Pretty sure humans and Klingons are able to bang it out without a problem, what with K'heylar (gently caress i know i'm loving up the spelling) and B'elanna.

Humans and Romulans (and probably Vulcans too) probably don't need help either, what with Sela. Did T'Pol have any kids in the alternate future timeline in that one episode of Enterprise?

I do seem to recall something about Spock requiring intervention, but I also think that was only in books.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 12, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Humans and Romulans (and probably Vulcans too) probably don't need help either, what with Sela. Did T'Pol have any kids in the alternate future timeline in that one episode of Enterprise?

I do seem to recall something about Spock requiring intervention, but I also think that was only in books.

In Enterprise, T'Pol thought a human/vulcan was impossible before the space racist terrorists made one for reasons I can't remember. So must have required at least a little medical help.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scifi can never quite make up its mind if aliens are just a stand-in for different human cultures or not, but generally the answer is "yes".

Humans from all over the earth can obviously "interbreed" so aliens in a scifi setting where aliens just represent "foreign people" can too. Except when the episode says they can't, without science, except for the other times when they don't. Also all aliens are equal because all human races are equal, except some alien races are just genetically predisposed towards aggression or intelligence, just like humans! Wait...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He did this twice actually

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pretty sure humans and Klingons are able to bang it out without a problem, what with K'heylar (gently caress i know i'm loving up the spelling) and B'elanna.

Eh, we have no idea if K'Ehleyr or Torres needed help to be conceived. Alexander and Miral didn't, but their parents were half-klingon plus klingon or half-human plus human respectively.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

MillennialVulcan posted:

The Thaw is worth it to begin with, but ends with Janeway terrifying the dying villain personification of fear.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - JFK
"Bitch please." - Janeway

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Burning_Monk posted:

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - JFK

That was FDR

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Janeway at the end of The Thaw is probably my favourite moment of hers in the show.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

In Enterprise, T'Pol thought a human/vulcan was impossible before the space racist terrorists made one for reasons I can't remember. So must have required at least a little medical help.

If I remember they basically did it as an obvious Nazi "they're going to ruin our genetic purity" thing. The point was the clone wasn't really viable and eventually died but it turns out it's because the Space Nazi Terrorists are completely garbage at science just like the real nazis, not any genetic incompatibilities between the species.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
All the offspring on the Children of Time planet make me assume that they don't need help.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwEaBu6lfQ

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

The_Doctor posted:

All the offspring on the Children of Time planet make me assume that they don't need help.

Definitely a 'some do, some don't' situation. Worf's descendants were with a human member of the crew, if I recall correctly, rather than Jadzia, so presumably they didn't need help, and Jadzia probably banged a human as well (simply going by odds on a relatively small ship and the sheer number of humans in Starfleet here), which also presumably didn't need help...

...wait, is it humans that are universally bangable without additional work? While there are a few other species that can get it on without much trouble (Bajorans and Cardassians, clearly, not sure about Klingons and Romulans, but that one secret prison camp/colony obviously had the resources if they needed it), but humans are just...easy...that way?

I blame the ghost of Roddenberry.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
There's a whole TNG episode about how the galaxy was seed with the DNA of an ancient humanoid race so that creatures would evolve along the same humanoid lines, so of course they're all able to gently caress and reproduce.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MillennialVulcan posted:

There's a whole TNG episode about how the galaxy was seed with the DNA of an ancient humanoid race so that creatures would evolve along the same humanoid lines, so of course they're all able to gently caress and reproduce.

the funny thing about that episode is that even taken at face value humans are still far, far, far more closely related to sea slugs than klingons

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 13, 2019

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Humans are basically the universal outlet adapter of the universe

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the funny thing about that episode is that even taken as face value humans are still far, far, far more closely related to sea slugs than klingons

We must be eternally grateful that nobody in trek has attempted a klingon/seaslug hybrid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MikeJF posted:

Janeway at the end of The Thaw is probably my favourite moment of hers in the show.

Possibly the high point of the show. Sisko had a few moments like that, but I don't recall any of the other captains having such a :stare: moment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mllaneza posted:

Possibly the high point of the show. Sisko had a few moments like that, but I don't recall any of the other captains having such a :stare: moment.

"The line must be drawn HERE! This far, no farther! And I will MAKE THEM PAY for what they've done!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nah sorry. janeway's is just loving sicker.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Cythereal posted:

"The line must be drawn HERE! This far, no farther! And I will MAKE THEM PAY for what they've done!"

Yeah, Quark was awesome when he did that

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

J33uk posted:

Humans are basically the universal outlet adapter of the universe

Klingon: *scratches head* Ah! *flips human over*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drone posted:

I guess not all of them need to be?

Or because Bajorans and Cardassians are space-neighbors, maybe their genetic makeup is somehow close enough to be compatible. Who the hell knows, it's an allegory for comfort women in Japanese-occupied China.
I imagine human/Vulcan is harder if for no other reason than Vulcans have copper-based blood. Like, that happens on Earth with mollusks. I assume Spock is "half human" in the sense that they probably spliced the equivalent of some of Amanda's genome into him.

Personally I think the cultural/family building metaphor is stronger if the alien species can't casually hybridize. It speaks more deeply of culture and society being a strong link rather than fantasies about blood. Spock is Sarek and Amanda's son because he was raised by them. (As is this Michael person I guess)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

I imagine human/Vulcan is harder if for no other reason than Vulcans have copper-based blood. Like, that happens on Earth with mollusks. I assume Spock is "half human" in the sense that they probably spliced the equivalent of some of Amanda's genome into him.

Personally I think the cultural/family building metaphor is stronger if the alien species can't casually hybridize. It speaks more deeply of culture and society being a strong link rather than fantasies about blood. Spock is Sarek and Amanda's son because he was raised by them. (As is this Michael person I guess)

Maybe Vulcan genes just express their phenotype much more strongly over the human genes, leading to a genetic hybrid that is nevertheless a biologically Vulcan entity in most practical respects. After all, Simon Tarses had a Romulan grandfather yet still looked about as Vulcan as Spock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ughh

Are you referring to Worf and Jadzia? Because I think that just establishes that some pairings need extra help.

Vulcans and humans need help. It was mentioned in Enterprise. And Humans and Klingons need help according to Emissary. And Trill and Klingons need help.

We don't know if Betazoids and humans need help. Uh, I think Dianna's mother also got accidentally impregnated. This poo poo happens a lot in Star Trek actually, Worf's descendants on the time planet are implied to be half klingons even though they would need a science to do that and they don't know how no more...