Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

One of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Reaching my goal body weight is never satisfying because it always leads me to realize I've underestimated how much fat I actually have and overestimated my muscle mass. When I was 210 pounds I thought I would look great at 180. I get there, nope, I just look less round lmao. Same thing for 170 and 160. Now I'm like 155 and maybe I think I'll be done when I get to 150? I'm certainly close to the point where instead of "I gotta lose 10 pounds of fat" I'm gonna go "I need to gain X pounds of muscle"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Do not go below 150. Wait until the leaves turn and get to bulking.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe you're losing a lot of muscle along with the fat. That was always one of my main problems. I'd be really diligent with diet and training during cuts (pumping myself full of protein and working out just as hard in the gym) and I'd lose weight but along with the weightloss I often also lost a lot of muscle and retained way too much fat. I never really managed to get the "chiseled" look a lot of fitness models have

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zzulu posted:

I never really managed to get the "chiseled" look a lot of fitness models have

Should’ve tried steroids

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have tried steroids and they gave me a lot of good results. But not like, SUPER amazing results and they didn't really do anything for cutting. I did basically look like I was always pumped up though which, from an aesthetic perspective, was really nice.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

In addition to high protein intake (like .8g per lb) while cutting, I find going slow helps with muscle retention. I try to keep cuts at like .5 lbs per week.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Maybe you're losing a lot of muscle along with the fat.

I do DXA scans every 6 months or so and usually for every 10 pounds I lose like 1-1.5 pound of it is lean mass. Can do better probably but I'd have to be much stricter with my adherence. My lifts are lower of course but they are still comfortably in the "intermediate" range according to a few websites. I hope I can get back whatever I lost eventually.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Do you guys take anything besides protein and creatine? I have a couple folks singing the praises of collagen, cherry juice, and taurine but I don’t want to get myself into some snake oil nonsense

bomb fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 13, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bomb posted:

Do you guys take anything besides protein and creatine? I have a couple folks singing the praises of collagen, cherry juice, and taurine but I don’t want to get myself into some snake oil nonsense

I spent a couple of years stuffing my body with supplements - All the vitamins A through K + Zinc, arginine, chlorophyll, collagen, fish oils, resveratrol, lecithin, etc etc. If it had a slightly positive study I was taking it. It was probably about 20 pills a day.

Honestly I did feel somewhat better than today, had better skin, and I was definitely in better shape and had more energy, but it gets real expensive and I was probably pissing away like 90% of it. Also I was drinking green juice more often.

I would say I felt about 5-10% better than today where I just take fish oil and maybe vitamin B some days. And green tea. But it could just be the aging

Also I took blood tests at the time and everything came out super

I’m curious about ketones, which weren’t popular at the time... but again, I doubt they help more than just eating well

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 13, 2019

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My favorite ketones cyclohexanone.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

VorpalFish posted:

In addition to high protein intake (like .8g per lb) while cutting, I find going slow helps with muscle retention. I try to keep cuts at like .5 lbs per week.
Depends on weight. As a fatass, I can personally lose more than that per week.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

UnfurledSails posted:

I do DXA scans every 6 months or so and usually for every 10 pounds I lose like 1-1.5 pound of it is lean mass. Can do better probably but I'd have to be much stricter with my adherence. My lifts are lower of course but they are still comfortably in the "intermediate" range according to a few websites. I hope I can get back whatever I lost eventually.

Maybe you have lovely genes? Ever though about that? :biotruths:

The only other supplement that I take next to creatine is Beta alanin. Everything else seems to be just expensive fluff.

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 13, 2019

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

bomb posted:

In my experience:
I take EAAs and cyclic dextrin during training, unlike everything else I've used so far (maltodextrin, whey etc.), I've noticed actual difference in recovery.
Curcumin has helped in reducing inflammation and aches (muscles, joints).
Magnesium is good (just don't get oxide or citrate).
Multivitamin is good, taking the recommended dose is usually overkill, so if it's 2 pills I take 1 a day etc.
Vitamin D is mandatory if you live in a dark hell like northern europe.
Creatine never did anything for me, except cause bloat and acne.
Omega 3's are good if you don't eat much fatty fish, I stopped taking them after a long time and now that I'm back using krill oil, I've noticed a big difference in how my joints feel.
All the actual joint supplements (collagen etc.) have actually made me feel stiff, so I don't take them. Never noticed anything positive.
If you have trouble sleeping, try Ashagwanda. For me this is probably the most important along with vitamin D.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never noticed any difference while taking vitamins or fish oil or whatever. Except vitamin d since it is so important here in the dark frozen north

I did notice a difference taking testosterone. That's the real stuff

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm now pressing my own cissus pills. After my primaforce bottle ran out I bought a little press thing, caps and a bulk bag of cissus. I've got at least 6 months worth for like $20 before the press thing. I've been working on my knees lately and a lot of days it's removed all discomfort pain caused by an old meniscus tear. When I stop taking it, I see a pretty huge difference.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Most days i take:
-a multivitamin
-6,000 iu d3
-calcium, magnesium, zinc
-b complex
-citrulline malate
-arginine

Along with the other vertical diet stuff. i consistently feel way better and have more energy when i take all this stuff, but it very well could be placebo

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Besides protein and creatine, I do a multivitamin and omega 3 capsules. I feel like. I get a little more joint pain when I stop the omega 3s, but I could be imagining that pretty easily. Mostly it's a "I know I don't eat enough green poo poo, please don't die, body" thing.

Khorne posted:

Depends on weight. As a fatass, I can personally lose more than that per week.

Yeah, if you have 25+ pounds to lose, you're going to want to go faster, but at that point you also don't have to worry about losing muscle as much. The leaner you are to begin with, the harder it's going to be to keep muscle in a deficit.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i don't see how eating collagen specifically could have an effect. it's a protein and like all proteins gets broken down into its component amino acids during digestion. when the body then absorbs these amino acids it doesn't care where they came from

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The amino acids retain their memory of what it was like to be collagen, and yearn to be folded as they were in a past life :byoscience:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

UGH I'm at a mental plateau. Was going for a 405 DL, did 395 no issues. 405 barely budged. It's 100% in my head and it's really annoying.

any ideas on how to break thru? Excess salami intake?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

MA-Horus posted:

UGH I'm at a mental plateau. Was going for a 405 DL, did 395 no issues. 405 barely budged. It's 100% in my head and it's really annoying.

Accidentally load some extra weight without realizing it and think you're having a bad day.

Then when you go to take off the plates later realize what you've done.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How long did you rest between those attempts? Sometimes taking a few more minutes makes a difference.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

david carmichael posted:

Someone convince me not to do the conjugate method in like a month. My form is bad, im weak, i have no coach and no good training partners. But i have a shitload of bars, a mono, bands, chains, ghr, hyper, belt squat, etc. and if i set up my DE days with straight weight I should be able to do my ME or DE days in any gym while Im travelling

Conjugate is awesome and I wish I had started it last year instead of getting super weak loving around with no program after having a kid. But my God make sure your conditioning is decent

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

Conjugate is awesome and I wish I had started it last year instead of getting super weak loving around with no program after having a kid. But my God make sure your conditioning is decent

My conditioning is bad relative to how i look, but i hope this will help. Ill do some cardio on off days too

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

david carmichael posted:

Most days i take:
-a multivitamin
-6,000 iu d3
-calcium, magnesium, zinc
-b complex
-citrulline malate
-arginine

Along with the other vertical diet stuff. i consistently feel way better and have more energy when i take all this stuff, but it very well could be placebo

its probably more the steak and rice making you feel good, cuz the vertical diet is pretty solid

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
im literally going broke buying filet mignon everyday but i can eat a whole lb of it so fast it makes it worth it

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Find a restaurant supply store like Gordon. You can get a whole 20 pound eye of round for $2.50/lbs. You have to trim the fat cap and silver skin but adjusting for edible/inedible comes to 2.65ish/lbs.

Cut eight or ten ounce steaks and use the meat trimmings for either ground beef or stew meat.

Edit: a large cutting board and very sharp knife will help

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just hunt the animals yourself you loving pussy, weakling

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Deer season has been over since January here and I don't know anyone with land.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Guyver posted:

Deer season has been over since January here and I don't know anyone with land.

guyver you are a cool dude

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

Do a hypertrophy block then try again, that's how I broke 400

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

If you're sure it's a mental block just do some mushrooms.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Are you on mushrooms right now?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Fallows posted:

Are you on mushrooms right now?

uH, NO

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Anyone ever done a minicut before? Advice? I'm heading to the Bahamas for a wedding in a few weeks and want to be unnecessarily shredded for it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Defiant Sally posted:

Anyone ever done a minicut before? Advice? I'm heading to the Bahamas for a wedding in a few weeks and want to be unnecessarily shredded for it.

don't eat salt and drink a lot of alcohol

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

nooneofconsequence posted:

don't eat salt and drink a lot of alcohol

I haven't had a drop of alcohol since New Years so I'm looking forward to getting instantly blackout.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

turd in my singlet posted:

Do a hypertrophy block then try again, that's how I broke 400

Use the trap bar for a couple week 👀

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

Don’t eat anything or drink any water