Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

For what it’s worth I’d predict the final PDF will be about 450 pages, though it’s hard to tell until I have the actual finished text to work with.

Surprised you're managing to cut 100 pages out considering the current doc has tiny font on top of no art/layout, but I guess two column layout helps here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Surprised you're managing to cut 100 pages out considering the current doc has tiny font on top of no art/layout, but I guess two column layout helps here.

The 566-page pre-release has Mech art, at least, and an 11 point font which isn't exactly tiny. And as you say, a two-column layout does a lot to slim things down.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am really glad this is getting a better formatted release. All the playtest docs were really good, but I can't imagine this game would have gotten anywhere without the art. At least having a professional artist as a primary creator means he won't flake on the project.

Everything being so modular is good. Once I hit Level 3 in the Mech I think is the coolest, I can multiclass into Mech with cool sword for a bit, and then get a level or two of Neat Utility gimmick.

Good and crunchy yet pretty simple in play is a pretty underserved segment of the RPG games in general, and hugely so in the Cool Robots genre. I am so glad this game exists.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
In non-LANCER news, there are 48 hours left on my Kickstarter for Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands.

It's a roleplaying game of politics, adventure and discovery in a weird fantasy world. The Empire has been ousted from the city of Montara, but the scars of occupation remain. You control a Hero seeking their fortune in the city - and a House reshaping Montara to suit their agenda.

Will you rebuild the city, discover the dark secrets of the Empire, or get rich from the spoils of war? Find out as you tell this city’s saga and make it your own.

Over this campaign, we've unlocked a solo play mode, custom dice, a dry-erase game board to draw your own city map on and more! But with your help it'd be great to hit those final stretch goals, adding things like detailed rules for inhuman player characters and a magical experimentation system to the game.

If you're interested, click here to take a look at the game and see if you want to back it, go here to grab the free quickstart (complete with pre-gen characters and a starting adventure), or check out us playing through that quickstart here.

Thanks for all your support already - I feel like I can always count on the TG goons to help out my projects :)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Flavivirus posted:

Thanks for all your support already - I feel like I can always count on the TG goons to help out my projects :)

I loved What Ho, World and Legacy 2e enough that anything you make is an auto-back for me.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
(I am not affiliated with Divine Madness Press, although I did write a supplement for the game's first edition)

I was very glad to see the Kickstarter for Fight! (the Fighting Game RPG)'s 2nd edition is up. It's the closest thing we'll get to a modernd ay create-a-fighter video game (which is sad), and I love the game's flexibility, as the modular system of building moves and characters means a fireball can be just a brief little burst, or a roaring meteor, depending on what manuever modifiers you take.

The goal is reachable ($11,000)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1142833459/fight-2nd-edition?ref=user_menu

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, very nice. I enjoyed the first edition of Fight! and I know drkrash from RPG.net and he's a cool, chill dude who is a fighting game story nerd like me.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 11, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

I was very glad to see the Kickstarter for Fight! (the Fighting Game RPG)'s 2nd edition is up.

Every time I've asked about this for what feels like the last two years the answer has been "it's coming soon" so I'm glad to see it actually happened.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Yeah, he mentioned it on the Fight RPG mailing list, and I was like. "FINALLY" :)

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Can anyone give me a sorta quick summary of the Fight! system mechanics? Dice, point buy, etc.? I see mention of hit stun and combos, is the action economy sensible?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

March of the Ants' new expansion is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants-empires-of-the-earth

March is one of my favorite 4x games, since it actually feels like a substantive 4x experience despite being only like a 90 minute game. It's drat brisk, but pretty satisfying.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

ElegantFugue posted:

Can anyone give me a sorta quick summary of the Fight! system mechanics? Dice, point buy, etc.? I see mention of hit stun and combos, is the action economy sensible?

Here's how it breaks down in first edition.

Only 3 major stats (Speed, Strength, Stamina) Rated from -1 (weak) to 2 (Strong). Characters have either 2 stats at 1 (and 1 at 0), or 1 at 2, 1 at 0, and 1 at -1 (So: Nine archetypes).

Speed breaks down into Initiative (who goes first) and Control (How big a maneuver can you try). If you have speed other than 0, you get a bonus (or penalty) to one or both stats (if you have 2, you can have two in initiative, 1 in initiative and 1 in control, or 1 in control

Each step up (or down) means you roll a higher (or lower) die size:

1d4
1d6 -- BASE
1d8
1d10
1d12
1d12+1
1d12+2
Etcetera

Higher Initiative means you go first. Then you can launch an attack, a special maneuver, or a combo (which can include both).

Special Maneuvers are built when you create the characters. they are all given a level based off how many qualities they have, so a Dragon Punch may be Level 3 (and thus have 3 qualities), but a flaming dragon punch may be level 5, and a Super Move Dragon Punch may be Level 7 or higher.

For example, here's a maneuver from one of the premade characters from Fight Challengers! (the book of fighters)

Level 3: Righteous Lance
Damage: 1d8
Accuracy: 0

Qualities: Critical Hit, Increased Damage (2), Mobile: Move up to 2 ranges

The attacker rolls 1d6 and adds the move accuracy and any bonuses (for example, if you have more control then the level of the maneuver, or you can spend Fighting Spirit to add to this roll). Compare this to the defender's defense total (which comes from the defender's skill in the applicable defense skill (plus any bonuses, again, for example, spending fighting spirit). If the attacker rolls equal to or higher, then they hit, and roll the move's damage and subtract it from the defender's life point total.

A character who takes damage takes Hit Stun. Control drops by four points or it is reduced to half (round down), whichever is lower. If they still have Control left, they can act on their turn (but can only choose moves that fit their new amount of control), if they don't have any control left, they lose their action for the turn.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Actually, I was going to go more into the Fight system and the supplements (one of which I wrote), but realized that would probably be more of a FATAL and Friends thing, right?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

SirFozzie posted:

Actually, I was going to go more into the Fight system and the supplements (one of which I wrote), but realized that would probably be more of a FATAL and Friends thing, right?

Here you go!

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/doresh/fight--the-fighting-game-rpg/
https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/doresh/fight-round-2/

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
drat. Guess I posted a couple things in the F&F thread for nothing :)

(I'll still continue probably)

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Very happy to be proven wrong on the Lancer shipping costs - they actually managed to get it down to the realm of reasonable. Probably going to back for the hardcover since goddamn if it isn't a beautiful thing

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

GrandpaPants posted:

March of the Ants' new expansion is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants-empires-of-the-earth

March is one of my favorite 4x games, since it actually feels like a substantive 4x experience despite being only like a 90 minute game. It's drat brisk, but pretty satisfying.

March of the Ants is a true good game, and I actually like the art. But I must warn you that they ran out of the base game. So you can only back for the new expansion now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Any chance of them getting anymore copies in before the kickstarter is over?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
No, they were just selling through old stock.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FirstAidKite posted:

Any chance of them getting anymore copies in before the kickstarter is over?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants-empires-of-the-earth/posts/2477858

They just caved and started a full reprint. So now you can get the base game and previous expansion for March of the Ants once more.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

golden bubble posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/910041337/march-of-the-ants-empires-of-the-earth/posts/2477858

They just caved and started a full reprint. So now you can get the base game and previous expansion for March of the Ants once more.

Once again I would encourage people to do this since March is best in its weight class (I say this mostly because I have never and will likely never play the mega 4x games, like Advanced Civ).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Getting the base and both expansions for $60 is pretty tempting, I gotta say.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah the all-in pledge is steeply discounted. It's too good a deal to pass up.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Thank you for these! The writeup sounds promising, the game is more focused on The Fighting Game Experience than accurately modeling Fights As Physics. Backed!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Derp double post

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

djfooboo posted:

I just culled the 4x's that never hit the table, but am still tempted. The theme is so much cooler than fighting mans.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

golden bubble posted:

What's shipping supposed to be like? All three at 60 dollars sounds like a great deal, considering the base game is about 40 from where I could find it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Agent Rush posted:

What's shipping supposed to be like? All three at 60 dollars sounds like a great deal, considering the base game is about 40 from where I could find it.
For USA, it's only like $8, which is still great.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Agent Rush posted:

I can't remember off the top of my head, but it was pretty cheap to the UK. Like $15 or something?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
And if you just need the new Ants expansion, shipping is heavily subsidized to the tune of "$3 or $0 for everyone."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Flavivirus posted:

In non-LANCER news, there are 48 hours left on my Kickstarter for Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands.

I just wanted to say I backed this and am SO looking forward to running this for my RPG crew - the campaign we're doing now will wind down roughly the same time the physical book ships!

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about the Vampire legacy board game. It's got an active and funded kickstarter project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sweet-lemon/vampire-the-masquerade-heritage/description

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
36 hours to go for the Eisenkern Grav-Stug, and he's 14k short. I'm hoping there will be a finish line surge, but I'm doubting it, which is a real shame since his models are always great.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really wanted the .STL files for those buildings, too. :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yessod posted:

I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about the Vampire legacy board game. It's got an active and funded kickstarter project:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sweet-lemon/vampire-the-masquerade-heritage/description

Honestly it looks cool but at the same time it's hard to justify a 100+ board game (because of course I'd get the KS exclusives) I'll never play.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly it looks cool but at the same time it's hard to justify a 100+ board game (because of course I'd get the KS exclusives) I'll never play.

"No honey, I'm OK ignoring the copies of Cthulhu Wars, Gloomhaven, Nemesis, and Deep Madness I shelled out for. Let's play Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Again. You know, we do have that copy of Betrayal at Baldur's Gate and...no, you already have the spooky music on, gotcha."

Granted it's my fault, but drat my board game cupboard looks pretty. :unsmith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CobiWann posted:

"No honey, I'm OK ignoring the copies of Cthulhu Wars, Gloomhaven, Nemesis, and Deep Madness I shelled out for. Let's play Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Again. You know, we do have that copy of Betrayal at Baldur's Gate and...no, you already have the spooky music on, gotcha."

To hell with your game cupboard looking pretty, your wife must be a loving supermodel for you not to have divorced her by now.

E: related content - Cthulhu Wars: The Final Onslaught launches on the 23rd. 14 day project.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

CobiWann posted:

To be fair, you will both have died of old age before finishing Gloomhaven

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Yessod posted:

This looks exactly my jam, and I have backed it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I tried to run a multi-century Vampire: the Requiem game once and it remains one of my "Really want to try this again" games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Finally, you too can experience art pieces zooming at the camera.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/rifts-for-savage-worlds-american-armageddon