Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DanZX posted:

That sounds as bad or worse than NSMB2. Thanks

I consider NSMB1 to be my worst DS purchase.

Take what I said, imagine it being even more simplistic. That's that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fayez Butts posted:

what the gently caress is going on in this thread

Welcome to every Nintendo thread!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

There’s some stuff that feels like it’s just unavoidable to not know about even if you’ve never watched it. I never watched twilight but I somehow know the entire story and also that Kirsten Stewart is the main actress and dated her costar

I am not American and don’t watch sports but I’ve heard of tom Brady enough to figure out he’s important ball throw man

My parents never watched game of thrones and are aware it’s coming back soon and that the main character is Jon Snow, who is coming

It's not that hard. I just spend my time on other things. I'm not saying this makes me better than others, or even that it's a good thing (makes first dates awkward lol). Just saying people who don't know anything about pop culture exist. We're not pretending not to recognize the people in the Gameboy photo for Internet cool guy points. It's just not in my sphere of knowledge.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

DanZX posted:

Also, same music as the last two games, except for maybe 2 new songs

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
If you're nerd enough, you can listen Digital Foundry talk about Hellblade on the Switch. Sounds like it's a technical marvel of a port, considering the hardware in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1BGLGS_UY

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
here's my super old take of nsmbwud, because I played through the whole game and expansion on the toilet:

jeremy parish is right in that it has some superb level design, and if there was any new super mario brothers game to give a remaster treatment it was this one, but it's still kinda too reliant on nostalgia for super mario world and it's aesthetic only reaches somewhat memorability at certain moments. also there's some stuff to nitpick: it sucks that everytime you die you are kicked out to the overworld and are treated to an annoying loading screen (truly the soulsborne of mario games HAR HAR HAR), the whole peachette thing is clunky and nintendo should've embraced full queer and let the crown be used on every character, the twirl ability also being on the jump button is stupid and yes I know of the cheat and it's dumb that you have to do that. Also luigi bros is cool but is kneecapped by the decision to boot you to the world map when you die, also I imagine that engaging in luigi bros is going to be extremely confusing to folks who do not understand the context of the expansion, they should have done something to indicate that yes you are playing an entirely new campaign.

edit: I realized that most of that was bitching, so I guess I should say more nice stuff: The game is overall really good, and you can tell that the team was pushing the confines of the NSMB template to the point where it sometimes resembles content you would see in super mario maker. The really clean look actually looks nice in max resolution. I really enjoyed that there were secrets to uncover, and to find the special levels I had to eyeball the world map and theorize where a hidden route would be, just like I did back with Super Mario World. The powerups are all great this time, and I liked that at the endgame they made the penguin and propeller suit more common. Also all the star road levels were extremely entertaining!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 13, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DanZX posted:

It’s much better than NSMB2. The game is modeled after Super Mario World much more than Mario 1.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thanks Ubisoft for discounting the base Rabbids game and the Gold Edition but not the DLC

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ColdPie posted:

It's not that hard. I just spend my time on other things. I'm not saying this makes me better than others, or even that it's a good thing (makes first dates awkward lol). Just saying people who don't know anything about pop culture exist. We're not pretending not to recognize the people in the Gameboy photo for Internet cool guy points. It's just not in my sphere of knowledge.

Out of curiosity have you ever heard of Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks or The Rock?

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm basically wishing I'd bought Tropical Freeze instead because there's less variety to level design and block types than Mario 3 or World.
The graphics are fine, but the cleverness isn't there.
It's like Nintendo said they wanted a sequel to the original Mario 1 and stuck to it too literally; it's an iteration of a series that was already improved upon.

Just to offer a different opinion: NSMBU is one of my all-time favorite platform games and probably the only Mario game I've 100% completed. Granted, that was on the Wii U, but considering the Switch version is just that + more, well...

NSMBU is loving delightful!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DanZX posted:

Is NSMBU good? I played 1 and kinda enjoyed it and 2 was boring as hell. Wii was ok I guess.

Every level of NSMBU is good - and it's designed with co-op in mind in a way other Mario isn't (hence no real flying), and it's at least based on Mario World not Mario 1. But although every level is good you can see the four phase level design in it and the lows are higher than the highs lower than probably any other 2d Mario game. It's probably the third best in the series but has no real ambition to challenge 3 or World for the title of best.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Out of curiosity have you ever heard of Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks or The Rock?

Yes, though I don't think I've seen anything with The Rock in it. I could identify Tom Hanks on sight, probably The Rock, and I have no idea what Spielberg looks like.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I could probably identify more local real estate agents than Hollywood actors because that's what's on all the billboards around here.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's the pettiest reason to dislike it but I absolutely hate the aesthetic choices in the New SMB series. The music is atrociously mediocre and the designs are just very pedestrian to me.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What’s the better game to play with 30-something friends that are not necessarily into video games?

Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Other??

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tetris 99

Controller swap every time someone loses, and if they didn't make top ten (adjust as necessary) they have to take a drink. :cheers:

DanZX
May 5, 2015

DLC Inc posted:

it's the pettiest reason to dislike it but I absolutely hate the aesthetic choices in the New SMB series. The music is atrociously mediocre and the designs are just very pedestrian to me.

Ok to sum up all the things everyone said about NSMBU is that it’s ok as a game but it’s absolutely mediocre as a Mario game?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

What’s the better game to play with 30-something friends that are not necessarily into video games?

Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Other??

Mario party doesn’t really take a lot of skill to play.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DanZX posted:

Ok to sum up all the things everyone said about NSMBU is that it’s ok as a game but it’s absolutely mediocre as a Mario game?

It's got extremely good level design and exactly one attractive level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ColdPie posted:

Yes, though I don't think I've seen anything with The Rock in it. I could identify Tom Hanks on sight, probably The Rock, and I have no idea what Spielberg looks like.

Old guy with baseball cap, glasses, goofy smile

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mario party doesn’t really take a lot of skill to play.

But doesn't it require equipment? I think it's joy-con only.

Another question. For my own birthday gift coming up in about a week, I'm thinking of either gifting myself several indie games (SV (I've beaten before, Wargroove, and Baba is You), or a physical copy of either Tropical Freeze or Dark Souls, after trading in Octopath. Barring that I may pick up one of the older re-releases between RE4, which I'd have to wait for, FF VII, or maybe... Dragon's Dogma. Hellblade looks interesting too. Don't know what either of those last two are about or if I'd like the gameplay but I do like open-world games that I can explore.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslxyJGjyZY

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

I knew he was top tier, but holy loving poo poo...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DLC Inc posted:

This is a fair reason to not like it. It would be regarded so much better if the level design was the same but it looked and sounded less generic.

Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Other??

1, 2 Switch is perfect for this. Game is hilarious with friends that don’t really play games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fire emblem is cool because women were crazy into the snes games to the point there were like five separate manga adaptations of fe4 running in different shoujo magazines at the same time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also fire emblem is the only good first party nintendo series

kirby is okay

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Mister Facetious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslxyJGjyZY

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

I knew he was top tier, but holy loving poo poo...

Jesus

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

also fire emblem is the only good first party nintendo series

kirby is okay

how dare you slight boxboy like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

how dare you slight boxboy like this
only internet weirdos would have played boxboy

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endorph posted:

only internet weirdos would have played boxboy

The number of boxboy games I've played is greater than the number of avengers movies I've seen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RZA Encryption posted:

The number of boxboy games I've played is greater than the number of avengers movies I've seen.

What are these movies you speak of

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Other??

smash bros with weed

every time you win you have to take a huge hit and hold it in for a minute while everyone else plays another match

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

They're like x men but with new mutants.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlestheHammer posted:

They're long Youtube videos except they star random nobodies instead of famous people like Pewdiepie.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

The music is just teeth-grinding to me and made me stop playing it.

I think it's that annoying "bop bop" vocal they have in almost every track. it just doesn't fit at all with the rest of it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

They also re-used a lot of assets between the games, in a way that's just really depressing considering the money it was making and what was possible. Imagine if they went full productions with a once per generation 2D Mario.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Other??

Mario Tennis is super fun because you can do the swing mode thingy and it's like playing real tennis except i don't have to wear pants

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't know who the guy in the Gameboy pic is and I didn't realize that's a problem. Some people (including myself) just don't watch many movies and don't know poo poo about celebrities.

I'm a pretty normal dude, I think.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wildtortilla posted:

I don't know who the guy in the Gameboy pic is and I didn't realize that's a problem. Some people (including myself) just don't watch many movies and don't know poo poo about celebrities.

I'm a pretty normal dude, I think.
You're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Chris Evans is cool and all but he's no Pat Sajak, whose generic demeanor would be perfect for the Switch.