Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I wonder what Kou's particular psychosys is?

People joke all the time about carrots, but that kind of thing is a little kid's problem and I think that may be the point. Kou not being over poo poo most people get over by age 10 is directly indicative of the fact that Kou is just incredibly immature and short-sighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Mora owns.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the carrot thing is really just a comedic expression of the rest of the show's weird-rear end takes on masculinity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I wonder what Kou's particular psychosys is?

Kou was homeschooled

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mora owns, Keith owns, every member of the Immortal 4th team except Monsha owns, Synapse owns, Cima owns. Then you get all the shitheads at Anaheim and the most diehard Space Nazi Zeon faction in all of Gundam and they want you to be sympathetic to their cause of murdering millions.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

That video's reminding me how funky it is that 'Stardust Memory' is written in a font I'd expect to see in a fantasy anime like, Aura Battler Dunbine or something

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mora owns, Keith owns, every member of the Immortal 4th team except Monsha owns, Synapse owns, Cima owns. Then you get all the shitheads at Anaheim and the most diehard Space Nazi Zeon faction in all of Gundam and they want you to be sympathetic to their cause of murdering millions.

I dunno, I think the Zeon Remnant loonies who thought "let's steal a vaporization warhead and toss it at Side 3, so they'll get back into the war (or something)" is probably worse. At least the Delaz Fleet threw the nuke at a military target, and a concentrated one at that, so there was at least some vague logic to the plan (though not much). Operation Silver Lance happened in roughly the same timeframe too (once again, it was a Titans plot to let it get stolen).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Operation Stardust is also directly responsible for nearly every starvation based casualty in the post OYW Universal Century. Creating a firestorm that obliterated the American Midwest's farming output is the kind of ecological disaster that would take decades to undo before you even consider that the federation gets into a new war every other month.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The 0083 Rebellion manga is an okay adaptation. It does the Return of Johnny Ridden thing by throwing tons of MSVs into it but it also dilutes the focus on the Albion a bit, having other Federation units take part in the initial GP02 pursuit, for instance. It's also gone wildly off course because Kelly and the Val Walo didn't die on the moon. Generally speaking I prefer it over the anime because it does delve into characters more but it can only do so much with a mediocre story in the first place.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XryetNOCS4I It's too bad they didn't do more of these. IIRC they were official renditions? Just intended for a celebratory music release than actually being used for the shows.

Also, hot take but the GP03 sucks rear end. It's supposed to be a one-man army-style anti-fleet weapon but it's only got one substantial beam weapon, tons of ammunition-dependent weapons, and awkward handling/coverage. Obviously it's designed to charge in, blow poo poo up, get out and rearm but it doesn't even have the speed for that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Operation Stardust is also directly responsible for nearly every starvation based casualty in the post OYW Universal Century. Creating a firestorm that obliterated the American Midwest's farming output is the kind of ecological disaster that would take decades to undo before you even consider that the federation gets into a new war every other month.

guess we gotta live in space then

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Argas posted:

Also, hot take but the GP03 sucks rear end. It's supposed to be a one-man army-style anti-fleet weapon but it's only got one substantial beam weapon, tons of ammunition-dependent weapons, and awkward handling/coverage. Obviously it's designed to charge in, blow poo poo up, get out and rearm but it doesn't even have the speed for that.

Not a hot take to me. I think it looks hilariously dumb. Maybe it's a shallow take from me, but gently caress it, I don't like the way my robot looks.:colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I like the GP-03 precisely because it looks like the designer was blackout drunk and doodled a mobile suit with a bunch of giant fridges on its back and then Anaheim spent entirely too much money strapping a Gundam into a giant slab of metal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Like when I think one-man army against a fleet, I think just one beam cannon and a ton of missiles, not throw more beam cannons onto that thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The GP-03 works in conjunction with other stuff. It can't literally take out a fleet by itself, but it can be massively disruptive and attention getting by itself. It runs in, shoots off all the missiles, cuts a ship in half with a giant beam saber, takes a bunch of fire on it's I-shield, meanwhile other MS are engaging the fleet and loving them up because they're concentrating all their fire on the GP-03

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's a pretty classic Mobile Armor. It's a pile of guns with engines on it somewhere.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

It's a pretty classic Mobile Armor. It's a pile of guns with engines on it somewhere.

And, like almost all Mobile Armors, it was a bad idea that no-one should have tried.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

And, like almost all Mobile Armors, it was a bad idea that no-one should have tried.

If they had been mass produced they would have put an end to the Federation in no time.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

I've never seen 0083 but the GP03s itself is one of my favorite MS designs and I wish there was a more modern kit

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

And if nothing else the GP-03 is a baller unit in Super Robot Wars Alpha 2.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
why the heck don’t the battleships ever have I-fields?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ManSedan posted:

The Mother Metatron does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManSedan posted:

I-Fields have the issue of having insane power consumption (which isn't a big issue for a carrier) but also that under sustained fire they can overheat quickly. It also does nothing against physical weaponry or against beam weaponry that gets inside the field or is high output enough to potentially overcome or overheat the barrier.

Basically I-Fields make sense on smaller mobile units where their advantage is minimizing the risk of glancing shots, they're not very effective at pure tanking. The Big Zam was basically the best you could and even that was dealing mostly with the lowest of the low end beam weapons.

It also doesn't help that there's a fairly thin period where I-Fields are truly majorly effective. As units progressed they began to lose their effectiveness. Beam shields, like the Mother Vanguard has, have the same benefits and more.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
The best defense is high mobility. Everything always boils down to trans-am this or FX-burst that.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

The best defense is high mobility. Everything always boils down to trans-am this or FX-burst that.

*dodges incoming light* :pseudo:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
This Heisenberg driver unit hooks up to the main reactor. It enables the mobile suit to maybe exist at one spot for a short period, thus avoiding beam weaponry altogether. It may or may not work sometimes see.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

*dodges incoming light* :pseudo:

You don't have to dodge the shot. You just have to dodge where they're aiming. Which is, admittedly, a lot easier when you have psychic powers.

It was nice how IBO had most fights set up so that people could trade some hits, by contrast with the usual. Having a pilot clown all over her opponent but not finish the deal because the suit was so loving durable is a rare sight in Gundam.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ka0 posted:

This Heisenberg driver unit hooks up to the main reactor. It enables the mobile suit to maybe exist at one spot for a short period, thus avoiding beam weaponry altogether. It may or may not work sometimes see.

My favorite application of the Tem Rey circuit will always be in an old Super Robot Wars game where it's equippable on a unit and nerfs all its stats, but makes repairing it cost only 10 creds.

The best application of it in that game was to put it on the EVA-01 from Evangelion which normally costs a small fortune to repair if it goes Berserk, but with the Tem Rey circuit...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Beam weapons aren't lasers anyway, they're compressed and agitated particles more akin to plasma.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ImpAtom posted:

I-Fields have the issue of having insane power consumption (which isn't a big issue for a carrier) but also that under sustained fire they can overheat quickly. It also does nothing against physical weaponry or against beam weaponry that gets inside the field or is high output enough to potentially overcome or overheat the barrier.

Basically I-Fields make sense on smaller mobile units where their advantage is minimizing the risk of glancing shots, they're not very effective at pure tanking. The Big Zam was basically the best you could and even that was dealing mostly with the lowest of the low end beam weapons.

It also doesn't help that there's a fairly thin period where I-Fields are truly majorly effective. As units progressed they began to lose their effectiveness. Beam shields, like the Mother Vanguard has, have the same benefits and more.

Beam shields are technically just I-fields backed with plasma anyway. They're way more energy efficient than just surrounding your suit with a gently caress-off big barrier though.

Merilan posted:

My favorite application of the Tem Rey circuit will always be in an old Super Robot Wars game where it's equippable on a unit and nerfs all its stats, but makes repairing it cost only 10 creds.

The best application of it in that game was to put it on the EVA-01 from Evangelion which normally costs a small fortune to repair if it goes Berserk, but with the Tem Rey circuit...

I think it shows up in Dynasty Warriors and if you equip one your suit's stats go down. If you equip three your suit's stats skyrocket!

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 13, 2019

Caros
May 14, 2008

dogsicle posted:

the carrot thing is really just a comedic expression of the rest of the show's weird-rear end takes on masculinity

The carrot thing is mostly a VA joke that Kou's voice actor is vegeta.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
0083 is kinda bad with some incredible episodes but the best part of it is how burning trips literally every single death flag that has ever existed

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

dogsicle posted:

it's good when gato is there, shoulda just been a 70/30 split of delaz poo poo/feddies

You can replace Gato with a tape recording of Akio Otsuka shouting "SIEG ZEON" on infinite loop and that's basically his entire characterization and dialogue in every scene involving Gato. He's an incredibly wooden, one-note character with no arc or characterization and if the show wasn't infested with terrible characters he'd be standout bad.

Omnicrom posted:

People joke all the time about carrots, but that kind of thing is a little kid's problem and I think that may be the point. Kou not being over poo poo most people get over by age 10 is directly indicative of the fact that Kou is just incredibly immature and short-sighted.

I don't know if "not liking a particular type of food when there are other options available to eat instead" is really an immaturity flag. "Kou doesn't like carrots" is pretty much just a VA joke.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Immortal 4th are all nearly as bad as Monsha. They participate in his dumbass bets that put Kou and the Albion in danger and Bate is nearly as big of an rear end in a top hat as Monsha, only falling short because he's not quite as gross of a womanizer and doesn't get as much screentime. Burning is honestly a terrible commanding officer in general, since he lets the 4th get away with all sorts of stupid poo poo and completely fails to control Kou to boot.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I watched the 0083 movie cut again this morning after I convinced my broken-rear end brain that 0083 is good, and man, that thing made some weird cuts:

Kou helps fix the Val Valo and then welp that's it, time to leave! I don't think Burning - do we even need spoiler tags for a show this old? actually dies, he just stops showing up partway through. They include an entire scene of Cima getting the Gerbera Tetra from Anaheim, and then she sorties in it once, and the suit shows up in all of two shots, one of which is it exploding.

Kou still badly sucks, but I'm actually kind of OK with it because I forgot how much of the series he spends getting owned. Gato wrecks his poo poo like four separate times, and the closest Kou gets to a win is when they both destroy each other's suits. Keith sucks, the tie-in with Zeta through Jamitov and Bask sucks, Delaz sucks, Cima only partly sucks.

Monsha kind of owns (as a character, not as a person) just because he's a gross scumbag, and him being an rear end in a top hat to Kou never fails to crack me up.

The show's gorgeous, the mecha designs are some of my favorites in all of Gundam, and the soundtrack slaps, but if I'm being honest with myself goddamn 0083 is Not Very Good.

chiasaur11 posted:

It was nice how IBO had most fights set up so that people could trade some hits, by contrast with the usual. Having a pilot clown all over her opponent but not finish the deal because the suit was so loving durable is a rare sight in Gundam.

Speaking of 0083, there's a good bit in that one where Cima is just racking the GP01 with shots and gets visibly pissed that the thing won't just loving explode already.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

wasn't the whole reason behind Kou hating carrots is that he's voiced by Vegeta

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Merilan posted:

wasn't the whole reason behind Kou hating carrots is that he's voiced by Vegeta

Yeah, Kou's VA is Vegeta and Kou hates carrots because Vegeta hates Ka(carrot).

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Kou was considered the best Gundam husband and tbh I can understand it since he seems simple.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

What if Amuro became a politician and became the leader of the Earth Federation and there was a Metal Wolf Chaos-esque showdown between him and Char ala CCA? Whether or not Char was his VP-equivalent or not is up to your imagination.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Kou was considered the best Gundam husband and tbh I can understand it since he seems simple.

I can honestly see this. Kou is an immature trainwreck as a soldier but as a person he's a good guy who cares about other people on a normal human level. If he was just like, a civilian mechanic or something instead of a soldier he'd probably be a fine dude.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I can honestly see this. Kou is an immature trainwreck as a soldier but as a person he's a good guy who cares about other people on a normal human level. If he was just like, a civilian mechanic or something instead of a soldier he'd probably be a fine dude.

It also helps to remember what total trainwrecks most Gundam characters are as human beings for a lot of their histories.

Still odd that Loran didn't score higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/7yuki_amano/status/1116980507588251648