Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How was the DLC for Horizon? I never picked it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Len posted:

How was the DLC for Horizon? I never picked it up

It's solid. About 10-12 hours of new content with a central storyline that connects into the main campaign. The quest design and character animations are also much improved just from the base game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

DLC for Horizon is a must if you liked the main game, Banuk are so chill

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Quite literally!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I bought a PS4 explicitly for H:ZD and I have no regrets. I do however regret all the other purchases i've made for it. It's not like i'm above buying a console for a single game - i've only ever purchased nintendo consoles so i can play metroid and zelda.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I regret buying a PS4 because basically everything on it eventually came to PC later.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Leal posted:

I regret buying a PS4 because basically everything on it eventually came to PC later.

Except all of its best games

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leal posted:

It still has a ton of exclusives.
It's reaching critical mass for me and I may get one.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza made the transition toPC, now we just need to use black-magic /inception device to convince Sony to hand over Bloodborne.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Yakuza made the transition toPC, now we just need to use black-magic /inception device to convince Sony to hand over Bloodborne.

PS Now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How is that? I dunno if I'd trust streaming Bloodborne because someone turning on Netflix could just murder you

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Len posted:

How is that? I dunno if I'd trust streaming Bloodborne because someone turning on Netflix could just murder you

I haven't had any issues with it, it seems to run a lot better than Remote Play from my actual console to my computer, I guess because it's some server farm designed for it not just an actual PS4 running the game. They have a speed test you can do before signing up for it and it seems pretty accurate from what I've gotten from it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

I bought a PS4 explicitly for H:ZD and I have no regrets. I do however regret all the other purchases i've made for it. It's not like i'm above buying a console for a single game - i've only ever purchased nintendo consoles so i can play metroid and zelda.

My only regret so far has been Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm sure it's a great game but I just haven't been able to get into it yet. I'm sure I'll pick it up later and enjoy it though, and I've got Spider-man to finish first.

Speaking of which, I'm sure it's been been discussed to death in this thread (I tend to skip over posts about games I've yet to play) but one thing I really love is how you actually web to the buildings around you when you swing through the city. It's something you actually consider while making a path.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Taeke posted:

My only regret so far has been Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm sure it's a great game but I just haven't been able to get into it yet. I'm sure I'll pick it up later and enjoy it though, and I've got Spider-man to finish first.

Speaking of which, I'm sure it's been been discussed to death in this thread (I tend to skip over posts about games I've yet to play) but one thing I really love is how you actually web to the buildings around you when you swing through the city. It's something you actually consider while making a path.

And if you knock a mook off a rooftop you can find them hanging where you left them, since the drop would definitely kill them and we as Spiderman can't be killing peeps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm replaying Cryptark, which is a game about boarding procedurally-generated derelict alien vessels, destroying the drones and protective systems that guard them, and then eliminating the AI cores. As the game goes on the ships get more complex and start adding things like repair systems that resuscitate other systems, failsafes that can imitate the most recently-destroyed system, multiple redundant systems, factories that spit out bigger and nastier drones, etc. So you start putting together correspondingly more complex plans, like, "I'll go here and take out the alarms, then while the repair systems are busy with those I'll eliminate the door locks, then exit the ship, fly around to the other side, re-board, and destroy the factories. That should buy me some breathing room to get the repairs, and it's smooth sailing from there." Which is a ton of fun, frankly. Naturally, the final ship is by far the biggest, most complex, and hardest to plan around. However, in my most recent game, it made a fatal mistake: the shields protecting the AI core were close to the core itself, and there were no failsafes. So I just flew in, blew up the shields, then dropped a suitcase nuke on the core and called it a day.

Anyway, if you want a cool sci-fi twin-stick shooter, I strongly recommend Cryptark.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

And if you knock a mook off a rooftop you can find them hanging where you left them, since the drop would definitely kill them and we as Spiderman can't be killing peeps.

Right, because throwing an exploding motorcycle at someone's face is fine :v:

One thing that's a bit of a disappointment though is that I'm a little over 60% into the main game and the only somewhat interesting villains I've fought were Kingpin and Electro, and that was at the start. Maybe they'll show up later but I'm craving me some adversaries with superpowers. That's for the other thread though.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Pyroclastic posted:

I loved how H:ZD's culture was almost entirely divorced from the previous civilization. Almost no one cared about it apart from trinkets like mugs. It was such a wholesale disconnection I was wondering just how long it had been since the apocalypse. The actual reason kinda blew me away.

They also put a hell of a lot of care into the cultures. The facepaint that all people of the Nora have are unique and have a purpose for the people in that society. It's also why it's significant that Aloy doesn't have any facepaint herself (at least, not until you unlock it). I don't think the meaning is ever made explicit in the game, because Aloy already knows what the paint means and doesn't need to ask the Nora what it's about.

edit: The meaning of the facepaint is a combination of status within the tribe, as well as familial relationships: a family will have consistent motifs on each member's face paint, sort of like a coat of arms, as well as incorporating the family member's job within the tribe as a whole.

Inco has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Apr 13, 2019

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Little thing in Sekiro, also major endgame spoilers ahead:

Over the course of the game, you can find various types of Sake, which you can offer to any of three characters and they'll give you some additional backstory while they enjoy their drink. Some of them move to different locations at different points in the story but depending on where they are sometimes you won't have the option to offer them a drink. One of those characters is Emma, who, depending on how you play your cards, can offer you insight into alternative ways of dealing with the main mystery in the game. If you follow up on that questline, she'll eventually hang out in the Dilapidated Temple near the start of the game and you won't be able to offer her a drink until you pass a certain point in the story. This occurs once you kill the Divine Dragon, after which she'll move back up to the top of Ashina Castle, where she's tending to the corpse of Isshin Ashina who died of old age/illness while you were gone. The death of Isshin is also the cue for a massive attack on the castle, and the whole place is surrounded by horrible, ceaseless violence and fire. The top of Ashina Castle happens to be a place where you can offer her a drink, and the option appears again when you talk to her. But if you offer her a drink here, she'll politely decline while saying something along the lines of, "hey, maybe this isn't the most appropriate time for a drink..."

That aside, I really enjoyed as always how the feeling of mastery slowly builds over the course of the game. Starting out, regular grunts were giving me trouble and the first fight against Genichiro is pretty much a one-sided massacre. He ends up being the first real stumble block boss but eventually after a few hours I managed to beat him as well. Then, depending on your route he becomes just the first of what is essentially a four-phase final boss fight. By the time you beat the game and start a NG+, the first fight against Genichiro is exceedingly easy since you already know all his moves and have dealt with them probably hundreds of times already. You also get a slightly different cutscene there if you beat him there.

The last little thing that comes to mind is a bit of meta-commentary within the game itself. If you help out the Tengu of Ashina with his little quest, he gives you the esoteric text for the Ashina Arts skill tree, explaining that it's not exactly a formal style of martial arts. It's kind of "anything goes," where how you win doesn't matter so much as that you do win...which I think is a really inclusive way of telling players not to worry too much about how they approach the game. Lots of Soulsborne players are really pretentious about honor and doing things the "right" way, and this is basically From Software telling players not to stress if a boss is too difficult and they want to cheese their way through the encounter. It's also a nod to Sekiro's own battle options, since you get all these fancy shinobi tools and even stuff like just throwing a bunch of ash into your opponent's eyes. Finally, a game where Pocket Sand is a legit technique to use against bosses. Oh yeah, and as for that alternative cutscene if you beat Genichiro at the start of the game: instead of him overpowering you, you get the upper hand. But then a throwing star flies at Sekiro from out of nowhere and while he's distracted dealing with it, Genichiro takes the opportunity to cut his arm off. He also delivers a line like, "as a shinobi, you should realize there's a difference between honor and victory" which hints at his relationship to the Ashina Arts and to the Tengu of Ashina who is himself Isshin in disguise

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Apr 13, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I love how weapons in EDF Iron Rain all have animal names as weapon type classifications, even though in reality all it means is what kind of model they use. It means you get stuff like the laser guide for satallite lasers being called a microbat, or one of the more common assault rifle classes being aardwolf.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inco posted:

They also put a hell of a lot of care into the cultures. The facepaint that all people of the Nora have are unique and have a purpose for the people in that society. It's also why it's significant that Aloy doesn't have any facepaint herself (at least, not until you unlock it). I don't think the meaning is ever made explicit in the game, because Aloy already knows what the paint means and doesn't need to ask the Nora what it's about.

edit: The meaning of the facepaint is a combination of status within the tribe, as well as familial relationships: a family will have consistent motifs on each member's face paint, sort of like a coat of arms, as well as incorporating the family member's job within the tribe as a whole.

It's cool how the game consistently let you get a couple steps ahead of the major plot revelations if you paid close attention, like listening to the Nora Matriarch's story at the Proving festival. Or wondering "hey why is Aloy a pale redhead in this tribe of mostly swarthy dark-haird people?" Or when you go into All-Mother Mountain for the first time, how the focus Aloy finds with Elisabet Sobeck's image displays something like a 99.6% genetic match in the lower part of the screen for half a second.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In the best ending of Rondo of Blood, it shows the three women you save looking wistfully in the distance, and then Maria who looks directly into the camera and sticks her tongue out you like the little poo poo she is :allears: Maria is the best

Also if you beat the game as her, instead of waxing philosophical with Dracula like Richter did, she's just like "I dont really get what you're talking about but you're a rear end in a top hat so bye". In the PSP remake she even smugly says "didnt you know? Good ALWAYS wins!" And Dracula sounds like he wishes he would die faster

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Anno 1800 is having its open beta this weekend and already there are some great quality of life improvements over the previous entries I've played.

A big one is that, for a number of different farm buildings, you can place custom fields that must take up a certain numbers of hexes as opposed to having to place down a set number of static farm land. This allows you to ton more freedom to set up your farms in a space efficient way.

You can also now move buildings around once you have created them, if you misplace a building or find a better spot for it later you can move it without the hassle of having to navigate the menus to rebuild it.

Setting up trade no longer requires you to build a ship. You can now charter ships to run it for you for a small amount of upkeep.

They've greatly expanded the options you can chose from in the right click menu so its really easy to access the most used buildings and features.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

moosecow333 posted:

You can also now move buildings around once you have created them, if you misplace a building or find a better spot for it later you can move it without the hassle of having to navigate the menus to rebuild it.

Setting up trade no longer requires you to build a ship. You can now charter ships to run it for you for a small amount of upkeep.

They've greatly expanded the options you can chose from in the right click menu so its really easy to access the most used buildings and features.

2205 added all of these. :colbert:

Such a shame Ubisoft basically stopped supporting 2205 shortly after launch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

One different thing I always notice in Horizon Zero Dawn compared to other games of its type is how Aloy actually reacts like a human being to NPC dialogue. She'll say she's sorry and show compassion when some questgiver talks about how a machine ripped their entire family apart when in most other RPGs your response options are [GO ON] [PAY ME]

I love when games do that. Nothing tops Geralt just getting annoyed at every side quest given to him.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If Geralt does a long sigh before accepting a quest, you know you're in for a good time

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

One of the good things in Fallout 4 was being able to make dismissive noises while an npc chatted at you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you skip a briefing in The Saboteur, Sean interrupts the speaker with something along the lines of "Yeah yeah give me the short version" and it skips right to the last line of dialogue from the mission giver :v: theres like a dozen different lines for it

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

*glares silently*

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In Yakuza, Kiryu just turns and walks without a word when a sidequest NPC gets too weird for him, it's great.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Hypnospace Outlaw has an insane amount of music, including:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KahV73Q3lbc
A linkin park-style nu-metal band with authentic lovely quality on a Teen's Cool Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAwVTXrPDW0
Jingles made by a washed up rockstar doing 80s throwbacks about his products

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJkjdD_u4Y
the same guy doing an insanely catchy rap to promote Granny Cream's Hot Butter Ice Cream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZOJMg-kaNk
A surprisingly good indie song you can just sort of stumble across on a band's page

Wrestlepig has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Apr 14, 2019

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Wrestlepig posted:

Hypnospace Outlaw has an insane amount of music filtered

I loved how the Pokémon stand-in has it's own theme but on the pages of fans, they don't have the theme itself, they have a lovely midi version of it :allears:

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Icedude posted:

I loved how the Pokémon stand-in has it's own theme but on the pages of fans, they don't have the theme itself, they have a lovely midi version of it :allears:

Good lord I need to play this.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Retro Futurist posted:

I love when games do that. Nothing tops Geralt just getting annoyed at every side quest given to him.

My Lovely Horse posted:

In Yakuza, Kiryu just turns and walks without a word when a sidequest NPC gets too weird for him, it's great.

I played Zero, kiwami, kiwami 2 and 6. In the early games people run up to kiryu and ask for his help with their batshit problems and he goes "What?" (seriously, if you did one of those word frequency diagrams of his dialogue"Nani?" would be about 30 times more prominent than any other word). By the time 6 rolls round (set ~30 years after the events of Zero) when teenage girls are running up to him in the street and saying "Hey mister, you have to help me, I'm a time traveller!" he just rolls his eyes and goes "Of course you are. Why wouldnt you be? gently caress... <sigh> What crazy bullshit do you need me to do?". He's had 30 years of nonstop crazy bullshit sidequests. He's not even phased by that poo poo any more. He still helps them, obviously, because Kiryu is The Best Worst Yakuza.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kiryu is World’s Greatest Dad to all of Kamurocho and its the best.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Enter the Gungeon (PS4, I don't have a computer; only a laptop) is kicking my rear end relentlessly and I can't get anywere past the second floor yet but I like that the Boss Door was a boss too.

Granted I just bought it today so I'm sure I'll get better eventually.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Recently bought the new Battlefront 2 and enjoyed the campaign a lot. One small thing I liked was the shift in Iden's demeanor toward her droid Dio pre and post defection.

As an imperial commander she's curt and clinical with Dio: "droid, slice now" "shock on that area now" "hurry up, droid."

Once she joins the rebellion she humanizes it more, and actually names it Dio: "I need healing pal" "thanks, buddy" "slice this please."

It's a great way to show character growth.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Glukeose posted:

Recently bought the new Battlefront 2 and enjoyed the campaign a lot. One small thing I liked was the shift in Iden's demeanor toward her droid Dio pre and post defection.

As an imperial commander she's curt and clinical with Dio: "droid, slice now" "shock on that area now" "hurry up, droid."

Once she joins the rebellion she humanizes it more, and actually names it Dio: "I need healing pal" "thanks, buddy" "slice this please."

It's a great way to show character growth.

She just doesn't want it to hit her with a "STAR WARUDO, REEEEEEEEY!"

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Enter the Gungeon (PS4, I don't have a computer; only a laptop) is kicking my rear end relentlessly and I can't get anywere past the second floor yet but I like that the Boss Door was a boss too.

Granted I just bought it today so I'm sure I'll get better eventually.

Gungeon is way more skill intensive than something like Binding of Isaac. This isn't innately a positive or a negative depending on your point of view but I love how once you get good at gungeon pretty much every run becomes a successful run unless the RNG goes really really wrong.

One of my favorite games of the past decade probably.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

DLC for Horizon is a must if you liked the main game, Banuk are so chill

What if I haven't played it since completing it on release and wanted to play the DLC? Just restart a new game and go there once I've enough of the abilities I like to use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pocket Billiards posted:

What if I haven't played it since completing it on release and wanted to play the DLC? Just restart a new game and go there once I've enough of the abilities I like to use?

You should be able to load up a post game save right before the final battle