Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feature not a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feature not a bug

You shutup! I need me some mech moon basketball!

Edit: There were more animes, but I mean I think mech moon basketball is enough.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 7, 2019

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'm thinking of switching my unlimited provider to Eweka, does anyone have any experience with them?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Chris Knight posted:

I signed up to Ninja a little while ago, after using Giganews since like 2001. Also got a friend to signup, since we were sharing the Giga account and things got a bit fucky. He signed up near the end of March, and this code was still valid:

Pretty happy with the speeds, basically maxed out my Fibre :D

Ah rad, thanks for that. I'm gunna switch over then since that promo still works and it's a 4th of what I pay now.

e: so far so good, same speeds way way cheaper. shoulda done this a while ago.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 7, 2019

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
If anyone wants to get even cheaper, UsenetExpress has a $55 for 2 years unlimited deal https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup?coupon=55for2

They're one of those providers that has a small local retention and then buys ~1100 days of retention from another provider. NewsDemon and NewsgroupDirect (the same guy owns all or part of all three companies) will match any offer, so you can mail their support and get the full 3800+ retention for the same price.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

sedative posted:

If anyone wants to get even cheaper, UsenetExpress has a $55 for 2 years unlimited deal https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup?coupon=55for2

They're one of those providers that has a small local retention and then buys ~1100 days of retention from another provider. NewsDemon and NewsgroupDirect (the same guy owns all or part of all three companies) will match any offer, so you can mail their support and get the full 3800+ retention for the same price.

I was on UNE for a while. Very satisfied. I think I'll sign up for that 2 year account, thanks for pointing it out.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Alright, dumb question in regards to providers.

Is ninja on a different feed vs astraweb?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

sedative posted:

Says code expired. drat, was paying $90 for a year there currently.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm trying to add Hydra2 as an indexer into Sonarr and it's not working. When I do a manual search in Sonarr I get zero results, despite Hydra testing ok in the indexer tab. Is there anything special I need to do when adding Hydra2?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm trying to add Hydra2 as an indexer into Sonarr and it's not working. When I do a manual search in Sonarr I get zero results, despite Hydra testing ok in the indexer tab. Is there anything special I need to do when adding Hydra2?

Add it as a generic Newznab server, with the correct Hydra API key and address+port. I just set it up on my own box this past weekend and it works fine.

skul-gun
Dec 24, 2001
I got this account for Xmas.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I don't think so?

Usenet Providers Map
Astraweb IP change. Is highwinds now?
Evidence that Newsgroup.Ninja is now a Omicron (Highwinds) subsidiary

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bobfather posted:

Add it as a generic Newznab server, with the correct Hydra API key and address+port. I just set it up on my own box this past weekend and it works fine.

I've done some further investigating and it seems like it's only one specific show that has issues. Kind of strange that searching in Hydra2 directly would give results that are missing in Sonarr but I'll manage.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Astraweb was bought and now is highwinds. So is ninja.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

So I have hydra running, but one of the new (to me from .org) places has all these things saying don’t use hydra, or if you do be careful and not grab the nzbs with hydra. And then they're super helpful and say "If you are interested why, you likely already know the reason." :rolleyes:

Why does it matter to them?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ClassH posted:

Astraweb was bought and now is highwinds. So is ninja.

Thanks all.

So to follow up on this..what is the el-cheapo option for another provider that compliments it?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 11, 2019

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hmm, so as of this morning i've been getting the following error in SABnzbd.

Decoder failure: Out of memory

I tried reducing the article cache all the way down to 200MB but the same error keeps happening. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've tried deleting my queue, restarting everything and even updated to the latest SABnzbd version, but no joy.

Everything was working perfectly last night so i've no idea what's changed.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks all.

So to follow up on this..what is the el-cheapo option for another provider that compliments it?

I use usenet express as my main https://usenetexpress.com/ (it's own local storage for short retention), then free usenet block account https://free-usenet.com/prices and tweak news block account https://www.tweaknews.eu/en/usenet-plans as backups. Works out well.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks all.

I've been using Usenet.Farm's cheapo option, since they frequently run sales of 20%-30% off, and you can pre-pay for additional months; plus my internet speed isn't great, so a cap of 6Mbps isn't really losing much. They only have a 75 day retention for all records, plus 500 days for popular stuff, but so far it's been good for my needs when combined with Blocknews block purchases for long-retention backups.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

EDIT: so long and thanks for all the fish.

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 12, 2019

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Kin posted:

Hmm, so as of this morning i've been getting the following error in SABnzbd.

Decoder failure: Out of memory

I tried reducing the article cache all the way down to 200MB but the same error keeps happening. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've tried deleting my queue, restarting everything and even updated to the latest SABnzbd version, but no joy.

Everything was working perfectly last night so i've no idea what's changed.

According to this: https://sabnzbd.org/wiki/introduction/known-issues#toc2 you shouldn't run it as a service, other than that did you check if you ran out of disk space? I don't think a lot of people here run sab anymore, so you may not get much traction.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What are people using instead of sab?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nzbget

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
nzbget in a docker (unRAID)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'll have to check it out. Running sabnzbd in an unraid docker now, works pretty well with sonarr and radarr but haven't tested much past that.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Any notable benefits of Nzbget over sab? There's not currently any nzbget plugins for FreeNAS, so I doubt I'll actually try it unless it's got some really nice advantages because :effort:

It looks like there is an NZBHydra plugin, though, so I should probably try setting that up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

pseudorandom posted:

Any notable benefits of Nzbget over sab? There's not currently any nzbget plugins for FreeNAS, so I doubt I'll actually try it unless it's got some really nice advantages because :effort:

It looks like there is an NZBHydra plugin, though, so I should probably try setting that up.

nzbget is written in C (or is it C++...i'm too lazy to look up which it is) so it's faster than sab on low-power devices like NAS's

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The last time I checked out Nzbget, I was unable to download an NZB through my web browser, tell it to "open with" Nzbget, and have it appear in my download queue. I never had that problem with Sabnzbd so I never got rid of it. Did that ever get fixed? The fact that you couldn't open an nzb file and have it queue up?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it doesn't work for you, you can tell it to monitor your downloads folder for any NZBs that get dropped in.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nalin posted:

The last time I checked out Nzbget, I was unable to download an NZB through my web browser, tell it to "open with" Nzbget, and have it appear in my download queue. I never had that problem with Sabnzbd so I never got rid of it. Did that ever get fixed? The fact that you couldn't open an nzb file and have it queue up?
I'm not sure if that's been added, but considering the initial appeal of nzbget was the lightweight nature allowing it to run better on appliance devices features that only work when running locally on your PC probably aren't the highest priority.

What's wrong with using one of the browser extensions that passes the NZB directly from the indexer to the downloader?

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

I'm a little late posting this but.... :cool:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wow you guys sure like your linux ISOs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rexxed posted:

Wow you guys sure like your linux ISOs.

So many distros, so little time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Distro hopping is a curse.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
NewsDemon is running a Game of Thrones promo https://premium.newsdemon.com/got-promo/

Current deals:
Unlimited + VPN for $3/month
500GB/Month + VPN for $2/month
1TB non-expiring block for $8

The deals change each week. I signed up back during the season 7 premiere when they had a 70% off special that came out to $27.60 a year. Maybe they'll have 80% off for season 8.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

sedative posted:

NewsDemon is running a Game of Thrones promo

That's a pretty hilarious thing to do a promo over. I still have almost 900GB left of the 1TB block I got at Christmas for $10, but I may have to add another block for that price.

Perhaps a bad question for this thread, but I see an increasing amount of VPN mentions, even in mainstream media. I've never used one, but I'd be curious if it's now considered a smart idea for someone using this thread?

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 14, 2019

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

sedative posted:

NewsDemon is running a Game of Thrones promo https://premium.newsdemon.com/got-promo/

Current deals:
Unlimited + VPN for $3/month
500GB/Month + VPN for $2/month
1TB non-expiring block for $8

The deals change each week. I signed up back during the season 7 premiere when they had a 70% off special that came out to $27.60 a year. Maybe they'll have 80% off for season 8.

Hmm. I pay $10/mo for Supernews, am I a silly dinosaur who has been overpaying for years?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sedative posted:

NewsDemon.

I swore off then after the "we've deleted all the cheap subscriber accounts by accident" incident but $3 1TB blocks... Ooohh tempting

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Heners_UK posted:

I swore off then after the "we've deleted all the cheap subscriber accounts by accident" incident but $3 1TB blocks... Ooohh tempting

Allegedly, that company has had a change of ownership since - as has NewsgroupDirect (same guy owns both now).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Perhaps a bad question for this thread, but I see an increasing amount of VPN mentions, even in mainstream media. I've never used one, but I'd be curious if it's now considered a smart idea for someone using this thread?

Eh nobody has ever been busted for purely downloading from Usenet. I think some people get a speedboost though? But from a protection POV nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

tzirean posted:

Hmm. I pay $10/mo for Supernews, am I a silly dinosaur who has been overpaying for years?

They're different backbones, but there's no need to pay extra. Your indexers are more important than your provider these days with all the obfuscated posts. You should go for the cheapest one that offers what you want.

Heners_UK posted:

Yeah I was one of those heavy users who was mysteriously deleted, but I haven't had a problem since. They've been cheap and good.