Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry if that sounded agressive, I was hoping youd share since I want to know what the stupid loving reason is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the reason is george lucas didn't decide to stop using written english in star wars until 2004 so the canon was already littered with it, so they just gave it a new name and left it in as a second alphabet, completely defeating the purpose of not just using the english alphabet

here are the parts from wookiepedia that made me laugh:

quote:

Behind the scenes
The High Galactic alphabet is identical to the real-world English alphabet,

quote:

Droids, too, are named with the alphabet, such as R2-D2 being called "Artoo-Detoo" rather than "Reshtoo Dorntoo," and C-3PO being See-Threepio and not Cresh-ThreePethOsk.
thanks, bless

Barudak
May 7, 2007

God bless you wookiepedia and thank you cubone.

Honestly Japanese does the two identical writing systems thing so its not super weird for Galactic Standard to do that

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Animal-Mother posted:

Is this blue guy in any of the new Star Wars? He seemed pretty cool in Tie Fighter back in the day.

Thrawn is the best character in all of Star Wars and that's pretty drat sad for what is supposed to be a movie-centric franchise.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

I think I've watched all these new Star War movies but I was drunk most of the time, I may have skipped one or two. From what I understand, the gist of the story is that a rag-tag group of friends are fighting the new Not Empire, one of them is a Jedi but wasn't really trained by anybody, Luke didn't even want to train her, but she's a better sword fighter than the new Not Vader guy who I presume was trained in the evil stuff by the new Not Emperor. And the new Not Rebels are fighting the new Not Empire because..... there is nothing else to do in Star Wars stories?

How small is this galaxy that you can't just warp away from the new Not Empire? And living under Old Empire rule looked pretty unhappy, why would these guys reform the Empire? Didn't the Rebellion smash them victoriously?

What..... I mean..... Why are there still Star Wars?

During the entire series, from the beginning of the prequels all the way through the movies now, everyone from slaves through people living in the capital of the goddamn empire who isn't directly, actively fighting the war has no loving idea what the gently caress is going on and doesn't care.
Every single person or alien slob bucket ever met is like "Who the gently caress are you?" "What the gently caress is the Resistance/Rebels/Jedi", and has no qualms living under whatever government they're under at the time. They're all doing their own drat thing regardless and no one gives a flying poo poo about any of it, so even if the Rebels win forever no one would give a rats rear end and even when they supposedly were winning or had won nothing changed or got better or worse enough to change anything. Even when the Empire took over nothing changed from when it was the Republic and when it was the Republic no one cared about that poo poo either.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

During the entire series, from the beginning of the prequels all the way through the movies now, everyone from slaves through people living in the capital of the goddamn empire who isn't directly, actively fighting the war has no loving idea what the gently caress is going on and doesn't care.
Every single person or alien slob bucket ever met is like "Who the gently caress are you?" "What the gently caress is the Resistance/Rebels/Jedi", and has no qualms living under whatever government they're under at the time. They're all doing their own drat thing regardless and no one gives a flying poo poo about any of it, so even if the Rebels win forever no one would give a rats rear end and even when they supposedly were winning or had won nothing changed or got better or worse enough to change anything. Even when the Empire took over nothing changed from when it was the Republic and when it was the Republic no one cared about that poo poo either.

Cool

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Star Bores.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I want ep IX to have more gun mummies

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A series of short, feel good stories about Jedi shenanigans called "Light Capers"

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
A slice of life comedy centered around two Death Star janitors called Star Floors

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Mr. Plenty seems like a very cool guy. I wanna have all the sex, too.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Suppose they gave a star war and nobody came.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KillerJunglist posted:

Suppose they gave a star war and nobody came.

They did that, it was called Solo?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

:eyepop:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

:flame:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also stop being mean to Billy Dee Williams, he’s 82.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Also stop being mean to Billy Dee Williams, he’s 82.
people surprised hes still working should remember he works every time

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I hope they make several Rose Tico spin off movies.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
"solo" is a reference to the one guy who bought a ticket

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It was better than rogue one

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you are a star wars fan and you are reading this: never forget that the prequels happened

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Didn't Palpatine like literally explode too?

lol

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I totally misread the theme of Why Are We Still Fighting Old Conflicts from the past two movies because this seems like a step away from that. Will still be fun, hopefully

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
End of movie they finally find the Emperor's Yak Bak and everyone has a good laugh at how dumb they were for thinking he was alive.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Tip posted:

Just heard a rumour that the title is actually a fake out title as a reference to the Revenge of the Jedi/Return of the Jedi trick Lucas pulled back in the day.

It's gonna have the normal title crawl, which will say "Rise of the Jedi" and the beginning of the crawl text will talk about how Luke bravely sacrificed himself. Then a green lightsaber cuts through the screen and Luke steps through the hole screaming, "I'm back bitches! And I'm Rey's dad!" and the new title slams down onto the screen, "The Ruse of Skywalker", while a guitar solo plays.

hosed up if false

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

lol

No one's ever really gone tho.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
No franchise is ever really gone.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
palpatine transferred his consciousness into a computer like Toby Jones in winter soldier

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3_ZO-6IqjY

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cubone posted:

palpatine transferred his consciousness into Toby Jones

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I am gonna watch and enjoy this film I reckon

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
No you see Palpatine didn't explsde all that energy wad him using his super saiyan powers to slow down so he didn't splat into the reactor.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Palpatine was a force ghost all along

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Palpatine has merged with the deathstar ruins, the halls are his lower intestine and Rey has to fight his giant head.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the death star symbolizes america and palpatine is tromp

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Star Wars franchise symbolizes Brexit, and Rose is Theresa May

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Star Wars symbolizes unchecked, vain consumerism.

No wait there is no symbolism.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Chomp8645 posted:

lol

If there is one thing that Solo has taught us, it's that throwing Sith Lords down hilariously long shafts isn't a sure-fire method to kill them.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

unlike maul, palpatine's mastery of the dark side allowed him to retain his dick and balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Drogo posted:

unlike maul, palpatine's mastery of the dark side allowed him to retain his dick and balls

The 2 death stars were the balls, but that still leaves the death cock, which is better because it shoots stars st planets and also other stars