Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

rkajdi posted:

The reduction in birthrate has to do with something else besides economic condition (at least in the way that's being discussed) More likely, the cause is that women a) have some control over having kids now, and b) aren't societally required to get married/be in a relationship. So half our population can hold out on a relationship when you're main options are idiot failsons, while also now not trapping them into spawning a million kids if that's not something they want to do.

It is mindboggling to me that anyone would actually think "the ideal society we're building is internally unsustainable" is an argument that wouldn't be soundly defeated by pretty much anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Radish posted:

It's getting harder and harder not to believe this is true.

Also is this just Pelosi being typically bad at public statements or is she implying she's going to talk to Omar about her comments as if the right wing is complaining about them in good faith?

When push comes to shove liberals will choose to side with the fascists.

This happens every. loving. time.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

Haha no, gently caress this too.

There isn't a single person on this website who gives the slightest poo poo about the Sacred Constitution so I have no idea what you're trying to do here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1117395599685558273

This is such a disgusting and contemptible display by Pelosi.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

eke out posted:

It seems like it's also "... and that underlying crime must involve conspiracy with the Russian government" since Barr's wording has been so careful to not acknowledge any other Russia-related crimes (or coverups of things that might be crimes, like the graft and bribery associated with Trump Tower Moscow) that could be underlying their obstruction.

But yeah, i think you're right. After all, if Mueller took seriously his inability to indict Trump, the appropriate thing to do would be to detail the charges to Congress and not assume that Barr would take this unprecedented step of intervening and issuing his own conclusions.

Also, the "we take no position on whether obstruction was legally committed, but this report details all the evidence on both sides" is exactly the kind of way a shrewd prosecutor would write this kind of report, since it increases the appearance that they're impartial, even if the evidence is damning.

What is the chance that Barr actually read the entire report before making GBS threads out his little memo?

I put it at around 0.01%

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shifty Pony posted:

What is the chance that Barr actually read the entire report before making GBS threads out his little memo?

I put it at around 0.01%

i'm the opposite, i'm pretty confident he blazed through the whole thing

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Data Graham posted:

Gross as it might be, I’m mentally gaming out what things would look like if that actually happened, and uh

I mean poo poo WOULD start going down.

A Labour member of parliament was assasinated for her political ideas in the UK and not a goddamn thing happened.

My point isn't that nothing will happen, but that nothing will happen unless you make it happen. And if you're going to make something happen, please do that before Omar gets hurt.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I put it at around 0.01%

I think it's very likely he and his team read the entire thing and know exactly whats in it and that's why they gave such a horse poo poo, transparent scam job with the letter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think we know he didn’t.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/SpeakerPelosi/status/1117395599685558273

This is such a disgusting and contemptible display by Pelosi.

For gently caress's sake Corbyn isn't anti-Semitic you loving cretin CUKs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Story time

So for a long rear end while now, my business partner and I have gone to a local On the Border (this is in suburban NJ near NYC) every Sunday for lunch. That's not the issue, it's kinda dumb, it's just a routine. But it means for the last few months we nearly always have been served by this waiter who recently moved from Texas; he's this middle-aged, Jeb Bush looking guy who has gotten to know us and handles everything well.

Progressively over time he's gotten more and more chatty about his personal life while taking the order and bringing food and such. Which is normally fine. But today, well... he comes to the table and without prompting launches into a story about how he'd just been yelled at in Spanish by one of the line cooks. "I dropped a plate of taco shells," he says. "I don't know what she was saying in Spanish, but..." We sort of chuckled noncommittally, said "Probably nothing complimentary," but he went on. "So I threatened to call immigration on her and she shut right up."

He disappears. My partner is a chud and a great big shouty bully type so I'm not about to make a thing out of this with him. But then when we're done the waiter comes back, and as he's approaching I can hear him grousing with one of the other waiters (maybe the manager) like "I knew this was gonna happen" and something about "those two guys are always here". He gets to the table to clear up the dishes, and he says "They don't like me around here. I'm too real." Yeah I'll loving bet

So this whole time I'm trying to think about how to handle this. I can post a complaint on their corporate site, which I'm sure will get the guy fired. That's the easy option, but of course what if it somehow doesn't, and he comes back the next week and starts apologizing to us or whatever? I don't know if there's a more cowardly way I can imagine handling this, but the big issue I have is that I don't want my chud partner thinking I've gone all SJW on him and/or cost this nice white Texan his job. I know it's lovely to be thinking of self-preservation but I really can't handle that kind of drama right now. So nor could I have tried to slip the guy a note warning him against this kind of behavior, because I don't want that coming back around on us either, nor could I do it clandestinely enough. In the end I settled on a reduced tip in the hopes that he would get the super-subtle message. It sounded kinda like he was on the outs anyway and maybe this is his final lovely day on this job, so do I even want to make my super heroic act of anti-racism "getting a poorly paid food service employee fired"? Or do I just come and whine about my horrible moral quandary on the SA thread?

Burn down the restaurant in the dead of night?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

I put it at around 0.01%

ctrl-f collusion

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Condiv posted:

as for citizenship, how do people feel about the idea that a person can become a citizen immediately by renouncing other citizenships?

Well, for Republicans that depends on what color they are

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It was a pleasure to burn.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pedro De Heredia posted:

There isn't a single person on this website who gives the slightest poo poo about the Sacred Constitution so I have no idea what you're trying to do here.

My point is there are higher ideals than the status quo and I will weaponize the first like the right wing has weaponized the second.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1117163644012437504

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Wafer posted:

That sure was a Goonish story.

He was trying to relate to a couple of regular customers by making a joke. No waiter at a restaurant is calling ICE on the kitchen staff because waiters don't deliberately piss off people who can and will gently caress with their tips.

Ahahahahahahaha, and no one's going to piss off someone that makes their food. Go on and keep telling yourself that

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://womenintheworld.com/2019/04/12/hillary-clinton-given-the-chance-many-women-will-govern-and-lead-differently/

hillary posted:

The difficult topic of immigration drew a more nuanced response from Clinton, seemingly aimed at members on both sides of the aisle. We cannot “demagogue the issue,” she said, but open borders are “not in anybody’s interests.”

She added, “For people who want to deny a problem, or people who don’t want to solve the problem but want to use it as a political issue — they’re both, in my view, failing.”

Hillary Clinton closed the 2019 Women in the World Summit on Friday.

Clinton called for more immigration judges (“quadruple”) to be placed at the border so asylum claims can be processed quickly, humanely and in orderly fashion. “One of the worst things this administration has done is to separate those children and have no system that actually would tell you where they are. I would go to the big tech companies and I would say, ‘Okay, you’ve got 15 days. Give me a system so that I can keep track of everyone. I’m not going to lose anyone.'”

what the hell is wrong with hillary clinton? :prepop:

so she's fine with children being ripped from their parents at the border as long as there's an app to track them :doh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

My point is there are higher ideals than the status quo and I will weaponize the first like the right wing has weaponized the second.

Absolutely. Like even though we come nowhere near fulfilling the promise engraved on the Statue of Liberty, I think that's a perfect weapon to use in the push for immigration reform:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Same goes for the Constitution. Use the good parts of it as rhetorical framing, because so many Americans already have bought into the "if it's in the Constitution it must be good!" mindset, you do yourself a disservice to ignore it entirely.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Arcsquad12 posted:

For gently caress's sake Corbyn isn't anti-Semitic you loving cretin CUKs.
They don't care in the least, it's just a cover for breaking away from the Labour Party now that it is under Corbyn and no longer beholden to Blair's neoliberal centralism. I'm sure they are ecstatic that they can pretend to be taking a principled stand against anti-Semitism and not admit that all the party insider plots against Corbyn failed.

Pelosi though doesn't have any real need to hold up their bullshit, she just decides to wallow in it of her own free will.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Including the supporting documents? I expect he just skimmed it looking for stuff he could quote out of context.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chronic privilege. mod edit: nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 14, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SocketWrench posted:

Ahahahahahahaha, and no one's going to piss off someone that makes their food. Go on and keep telling yourself that

Waiters try to deliberately piss off kitchen staff you say?

That's a recipe for getting your orders hosed up.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Shifty Pony posted:

I put it at around 0.01%
Wasn’t his immediate response to Congress demanding the report - after his useless-rear end memo - to say “hold on, I have to read it first and that will take months”?

Seriously, is my memory scorched by hellworld or wasn’t it really that transparent?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

AmiYumi posted:

Wasn’t his immediate response to Congress demanding the report - after his useless-rear end memo - to say “hold on, I have to read it first and that will take months”?

Seriously, is my memory scorched by hellworld or wasn’t it really that transparent?

It's certainly the subtext but people are bad at realizing what isn't spelled out for them.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Lol, i feel awful for the intern that has to wit through all the fox news segments and count the number of times AOC id mentioned. I hope their work covers theryapy sessions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shifty Pony posted:

Including the supporting documents? I expect he just skimmed it looking for stuff he could quote out of context.

I'd be a bit surprised if anything Barr said in his summary isn't technically true (if we grant his weird and bad theory about presidential obstruction of justice), which means he'd at least have had to skim it close enough to see if it directly contradicted anything he wanted to say.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

That sure was a Goonish story.

He was trying to relate to a couple of regular customers by making a joke. No waiter at a restaurant is calling ICE on the kitchen staff because waiters don't deliberately piss off people who can and will gently caress with their tips.

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to relate to customers by being a racist piece of poo poo.

Also your assumptions about racist wait staff never picking on kitchen staff is pretty dumb. It happens all the time without racism

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Darko posted:

I disagree entirely. Realize I grew up in Detroit lower income. Nobody is siding with Republicans here or in Atlanta, etc. And that (and Mexicans) are the scary thing they have been "prepping" for. But they'd have to come to cities and, er, good luck.

Again, you're thinking about things in a very neat and clean manner - the Balkanization that people are talking about when they go "HAHA BLUE'LL WIN OUT IN THE END!" are ignoring that a societal breakdown would not work like that. You have folks like Patriot Prayer out with god drat sniper nests ready to go and we at least have some sort of functional society in place.

Which is why some of the gun control stuff and how some folks on the left are so outspoken against the military sets my teeth on edge. The former because "no really support your local huey p long gun club or redneck revolt", the latter because "holy poo poo y'all the capitalist machine requires devouring desperate people joining up at recruiter stations as much as it requires devouring service workers we should be banding together".

Dammerung posted:

What should we be worried about?

Yep. It's amazing how the leadership wants the house freshmen to be both as visible and quiet as possible.

Oklahoma City style bombings and a marked uptick in SovCits attacking the police, leading to an even harsher crackdown that spirals out of control all over the place. White supremacists have already infiltrated the military and suddenly it's not just some Proud Boy LARPer you have to be concerned about it's Sovcits making the federal government back down like they did initially with the Bundy clan. Coordinated attacks on infrastructure.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Our hubris is good in making us think that the (very delicate) logistics chains we've created for this modern life are more robust than they actually are.

Yeah. It'd be insurgent warfare styles and we are not really equipped to actually handle that.

SalTheBard posted:

I love that podcast (it's called "It Could Happen Here"). But goddamn does it feel me with anxiety.

I love it too but god drat does it make me worried about my family.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fart Amplifier posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have tried to relate to customers by being a racist piece of poo poo.

Also your assumptions about racist wait staff never picking on kitchen staff is pretty dumb. It happens all the time without racism

It probably does. Everywhere I waited tables there was push back and infighting, but you didn't go out of your way to gently caress someone over. Calling ICE would make your life miserable as a waiter and it doesn't happen and even if it did happen, nothing happens. ICE already knows illegals are working in restaurant kitchens. They're not sitting around waiting for a hot tip to come in about the local Rio Bravo.

And the racist piece of poo poo waiter related just fine to the chud business partner. The passive-aggressive Goon didn't care for it, but that's a .500 batting average.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zotix posted:

Okay, but why should anyone who wants in, get in? It doesn't work that way anywhere else. Nearly every other country has a strict immigration policy and it's a fairly lengthy process to work, and eventually move there. Additionally, every major area I've lived along the south recently is struggling to keep infrastructure up to current population levels. Why not enforce border security strictly but increase current immigration policies by say 25% annually until it reaches a point in which the people who want in can be allowed in, but the country is able to handle the influx.

I think it's also debatable that the next generations would be reproducing at a much faster rate if the economy was more favorable. Yes there are stats that say the economy is doing well, but there are many signs for much of America that it isn't. And that's hindering the building of families for many people.

Why shouldn't anyone who wants in get in? Nearly every country has a strict immigration policy, yes, but most of them also have a long history of racism and xenophobia. Southern infrastructure is rotting, yes...because declining population, fleeing industry, and tax-cutting politicians have wrecked the tax base.

The country could easily handle an influx of immigrants, as demonstrated by the fact that it has in fact handled millions of illegal immigrants without a serious problem despite the fact that they're often not paying taxes, participating in communities, and so on. Legalizing them and allowing them to contribute more without fear would hardly be a massive burden.

VH4Ever posted:

There you go again! Making me respond to, and defend, an argument that 1) I did not even make and, more to the point, 2) no serious player currently holding federal elected office in the US is currently making. NO ONE WANTS OPEN BORDERS, not in the way CHUDs/GOP pundit hacks allege and not how you're alleging here. Nope, no way, didn't happen, hasn't happened. That argument is, was, and always has been a bullshit, jingoistic lie intended 100% to be red meat for the CHUD base to tear apart, as delivered by the likes of Hannity and O'Reilly on Fox News and AM radio. It's a racist talking point, nothing more and nothing less, designed and intended from inception to chum the waters anytime we really, honestly try and reform the xenophobic, broken disgrace that is our current immigration system. So keep asking, and I'll keep repeating myself. Kind of sounds pointless though, so I'd encourage you to try and actually engage with what I, and others ITT, actually said and not your own racist broken record projection argument. I think that would, at least, be more enlightening.

Are you a Canadian?

Sorry, but plenty of people do want to at least seriously discuss open borders. They just mostly aren't sitting members of the political or media elite. Reflexively shouting "NO ONE WANTS OPEN BORDERS" is just refusing to admit that anyone to your left exists, and conveniently shutting out an issue that you instinctively oppose but can't articulate convincing arguments against.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Story time

So for a long rear end while now, my business partner and I have gone to a local On the Border (this is in suburban NJ near NYC) every Sunday for lunch. That's not the issue, it's kinda dumb, it's just a routine. But it means for the last few months we nearly always have been served by this waiter who recently moved from Texas; he's this middle-aged, Jeb Bush looking guy who has gotten to know us and handles everything well.

Progressively over time he's gotten more and more chatty about his personal life while taking the order and bringing food and such. Which is normally fine. But today, well... he comes to the table and without prompting launches into a story about how he'd just been yelled at in Spanish by one of the line cooks. "I dropped a plate of taco shells," he says. "I don't know what she was saying in Spanish, but..." We sort of chuckled noncommittally, said "Probably nothing complimentary," but he went on. "So I threatened to call immigration on her and she shut right up."

He disappears. My partner is a chud and a great big shouty bully type so I'm not about to make a thing out of this with him. But then when we're done the waiter comes back, and as he's approaching I can hear him grousing with one of the other waiters (maybe the manager) like "I knew this was gonna happen" and something about "those two guys are always here". He gets to the table to clear up the dishes, and he says "They don't like me around here. I'm too real." Yeah I'll loving bet

So this whole time I'm trying to think about how to handle this. I can post a complaint on their corporate site, which I'm sure will get the guy fired. That's the easy option, but of course what if it somehow doesn't, and he comes back the next week and starts apologizing to us or whatever? I don't know if there's a more cowardly way I can imagine handling this, but the big issue I have is that I don't want my chud partner thinking I've gone all SJW on him and/or cost this nice white Texan his job. I know it's lovely to be thinking of self-preservation but I really can't handle that kind of drama right now. So nor could I have tried to slip the guy a note warning him against this kind of behavior, because I don't want that coming back around on us either, nor could I do it clandestinely enough. In the end I settled on a reduced tip in the hopes that he would get the super-subtle message. It sounded kinda like he was on the outs anyway and maybe this is his final lovely day on this job, so do I even want to make my super heroic act of anti-racism "getting a poorly paid food service employee fired"? Or do I just come and whine about my horrible moral quandary on the SA thread?

do what I do when someone's being cringey as gently caress about their politics

do a yeesh face and be like, "ooooooooooookay"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oh yeah, that seal is psycho. they were trying to keep the ISIS fighter alive so they could capture him and the dude just stabs in to death while medics were working on him. he also just killed people indiscriminately and was so loving nuts other seals hated him and tampered with his sights so innocent people had a chance. crenshaw is a shithead.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

I put it at around 0.01%

He basically read the summaries, and summarized the summaries.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Main Paineframe posted:

The country could easily handle an influx of immigrants, as demonstrated by the fact that it has in fact handled millions of illegal immigrants without a serious problem despite the fact that they're often not paying taxes, participating in communities, and so on. Legalizing them and allowing them to contribute more without fear would hardly be a massive burden.

They do pay taxes. This is a bullshit right wing talking point. They pay taxes which fund services they are not able to utilize, they are the operate of free loaders

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The issue with open borders is that it invites a lot of litigation of both domestic and international law, and it makes border / customs enforcement weird. If you really want something like that you'd be looking at a north american customs union or something to iron out any border issues.

Let me tell you about the Amero

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Grapplejack posted:

The issue with open borders is that it invites a lot of litigation of both domestic and international law, and it makes border / customs enforcement weird. If you really want something like that you'd be looking at a north american customs union or something to iron out any border issues.

Let me tell you about the Amero

Why would you stop with one continent?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Condiv posted:

what the hell is wrong with hillary clinton? :prepop:
How about we stop talking about her? She literally doesn't matter anymore.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

pseudanonymous posted:

They do pay taxes. This is a bullshit right wing talking point. They pay taxes which fund services they are not able to utilize, they are the operate of free loaders

I brought this up the other day and was told "Federal Taxes," then the guy I was talking to segued into how illegal immigrants abuse the emergency room. More accurately he told me to visit the local emergency room and see who shows up. I didn't want to further the argument by bringing up that I work in a hospital and the answer to the question of who shows up at the emergency room is "people who need medical care."

The Federal Taxes are avoided if the immigrants are paid under the table with cash wages. If they work at a normal business and are claimed as employees by that business, then the business pays the withholding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zotix posted:

Okay, but why should anyone who wants in, get in? It doesn't work that way anywhere else. Nearly every other country has a strict immigration policy and it's a fairly lengthy process to work, and eventually move there. Additionally, every major area I've lived along the south recently is struggling to keep infrastructure up to current population levels. Why not enforce border security strictly but increase current immigration policies by say 25% annually until it reaches a point in which the people who want in can be allowed in, but the country is able to handle the influx.

I think it's also debatable that the next generations would be reproducing at a much faster rate if the economy was more favorable. Yes there are stats that say the economy is doing well, but there are many signs for much of America that it isn't. And that's hindering the building of families for many people.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"