Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/he-scream-at-own-rear end/32973436815.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
From the same shop as the rear end weasel comes this striking likeness of, uh, RuPaul, apparently?

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
what do y’all put these pins on

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

heeheex2 posted:

Display.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol, where are they stealing their ideas from?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

heeheex2 posted:

use them as thumbtacks on my bulletin board

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

my backpack

super sweet best pal posted:

most of it is just stolen artwork from what I can tell, probably tumblr stuff for a lot of it

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

Backpack. They also make great little extras for when you're giving someone a more substantial gift.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

snoo posted:

my backpack

most of it is just stolen artwork from what I can tell, probably tumblr stuff for a lot of it

This one seems to be a meme, but I didn't see that exact image. I suspect someone in China did their own rendition of it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'd bet that 99% of stolen pin designs are being made by the company that the original artist hired to produce their pins.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Must be a bunch of kids with these backpacks and poo poo

I’ve been thinking of getting some for my leather jacket but I don’t think they’d go all the way through, anyone have a solution for that?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Molten Llama posted:

From the same shop as the rear end weasel comes this striking likeness of, uh, RuPaul, apparently?

That is very clearly an opossum, not a weasel. An asspossum.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Former DILF posted:

Must be a bunch of kids with these backpacks and poo poo

I’ve been thinking of getting some for my leather jacket but I don’t think they’d go all the way through, anyone have a solution for that?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50pcs-100pcs-M2-4-M3-2-M4-GB12618-Aluminium-Mushroon-Head-Break-Mandrel-Blind-Rivets-Nail/32870355026.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pra...2837664161.html

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

super sweet best pal posted:

whole bunch of people who draw this sort of thing get their pins produced by aliexpress

i presume they are then surprised when this happens

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Neat how do these work

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Former DILF posted:

Neat how do these work

https://www.instructables.com/id/All-About-POP-Rivets/

Works best for metal to metal.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Looks like i’d have to drill through a given pin and it would be permanent. This isn’t an acceptable solution. Are there no pinbacks that allow me to secure pins through thick layers of material?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Finally I can shrink my giant dick with herbal tea
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ene...04-d18a823a7c75

And something I might actually buy
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Men...21-562481d2c7f3

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I am going to risk some cash and buy a fine leather bag from Ali. I'm in the $40-$100 range. Open to canvas as well. I need to upgrade my current messenger into a serious commuting man bag.

Anybody have any advice on what to look for? I'm putting more stock into photos of a factory or work place taken at different times. What should I focus on to dismiss low quality bags?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item//1872751878.html

I got this leather messenger bag (for about $10 cheaper at the time) for my also cheap, but very excellent xiaomi air notebook and was extremely pleased. Its not very big, but I was looking for something compact so it worked out for me, dunno what your needs are or how useful this endorsement is, but I guess Westal might be good?

e: It says cow leather now, but it definitely said horse when I ordered it fwiw

Mondian fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Apr 15, 2019

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Former DILF posted:

Are there no pinbacks that allow me to secure pins through thick layers of material?

Buy a tin of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01DU8U63Y

I use them for all my pins to prevent losing them and they work fine on a leather jacket

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Miss posted:

whole bunch of people who draw this sort of thing get their pins produced by aliexpress

i presume they are then surprised when this happens

I got some pins made a while back and the conversation went "We could get these made for half the cost on Ali or something, this UK company is kinda expensive"
"Is that a good idea?"
"Yeah, you're right, let's not"

I also bought that same tin of backs to go with them, they work well!

Sticker time!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40-...2860699109.html Pokemon stickers! These are tiny but really nicely made and packed, they came in a little ziplock envelope with a furry pattern back, instead of just being in a plastic sleeve.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50p...2967801013.html
Stitch Telegram reaction images! These were really good too, gonna buy a second pack for friends!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 15, 2019

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Just got my load of washi tape in just 15 days. This is the fastest I ever got anything from Ali, definitely going to buy more from that store. Not that I'm going to run out of tape or stickers anytime soon with how much I bought.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Former DILF posted:

Looks like i’d have to drill through a given pin and it would be permanent. This isn’t an acceptable solution. Are there no pinbacks that allow me to secure pins through thick layers of material?

The traditional solution would be nuts and bolts. What are you trying to secure? There are leather rivets that work well for softer materials. You'd still need to punch holes, though.

Maybe ask in DIY?

PremiumBlend
Jun 12, 2002

We did it little buddy...

Former DILF posted:

Just buy a leather jacket from aliexpress and then you don't have to worry about all that pesky thick material!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Black Feather posted:

Just got my load of washi tape in just 15 days. This is the fastest I ever got anything from Ali, definitely going to buy more from that store. Not that I'm going to run out of tape or stickers anytime soon with how much I bought.

I just had something arrive in 10 days, which quite surprised me.

Edit: I'm about to go travelling for three weeks, so ordered a bunch of stuff thinking it would get here after I get back. Now I'm worried about things being returned by Canada Post because I'm not around to collect them.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 16, 2019

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

PremiumBlend posted:

Just buy a leather jacket from aliexpress and then you don't have to worry about all that pesky thick material!

Because it’ll be made from people skin. :ohdear:

Wouldn’t pins ruin leather? Get yourself a nice denim jacket and relive the 90s.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh their label is cryptographic

this makes things tough for cryptography nerds :v

Duh Ugh
May 27, 2008

PremiumBlend posted:

I've actually bought a leather jacket from Ali. Shockingly good jacket tbh. Leather weight is fairly decent. Been going about a year now and the only issue is I managed to rip one pocket lining by jamming my keys into it. Thing has held up better than the crappy Wilson's Leather biker jacket I had when I was a teenager. Paid less for it too. Even after accounting for sending the first one back because I'm a dumbass and messed up on sizing.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Go on...

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've picked up 2 or 3 led strips from Ali in the last year. One to put under our bed, one to make the inside of my car garish, one behind the TV, etc. They've all seemed perfectly serviceable so far, in that I plugged them in, turned them on, and haven't thought about them since.

I'm wondering if anyone had tried them for more daily use. There's a few spots in our new house that I'd like to add some lighting to, such as the inside of a butler's Pantry. The types people tend to have installed by contractors are considerably pricier - a couple dollars per foot, perhaps - and use transformers that are wired directly into the electrical line. Has anyone installed the cheap Ali led strips somewhere in their house that gets daily use?

It's hard to imagine the $100 strips are really that much better, since it's just a pile of leds, and I imagine all the constituent parts came from China anyways.

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 16, 2019

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've picked up 2 or 3 led strips from Ali in the last year. One to put under our bed, one to make the inside of my car garish, one behind the TV, etc. They've all seemed perfectly serviceable so far, in that I plugged them in, turned them on, and haven't thought about them since.

I'm wondering if anyone had tried them for more daily use. There's a few spots in our new house that I'd like to add some lighting to, such as the inside of a butler's Pantry. The types people tend to have installed by contractors are considerably pricier - a couple dollars per foot, perhaps - and use transformers that are wired directly into the electrical line. Has anyone installed the cheap Ali led strips somewhere in their house that gets daily use?

It's hard to imagine the $100 strips are really that much better, since it's just a pile of leds, and I imagine all the constituent parts came from China anyways.

I'll second this, I'm looking to add some lighting and if there are reputable items on Ali I'd rather use them.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I haven’t bought LED strips from AliExpress, but I have purchased dozens of meters of LED strips, and thousands and thousands of individual LEDs, from eBay. I’m sure they all come from the same factories. I haven’t had any significant issues with them. If a mystery brand is $12, and a name you recognize is $16, go ahead and upgrade. Otherwise, don’t sweat it.

Don’t skimp on the power supply. That’s the part I would be concerned with. I have exploded a couple of cheap eBay power supplies.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have an RGB strip glued to my Ikea shelves in the bedroom and a white one as a countertop light in the kitchen. The RGB one seem to have lost a few LEDs and is constantly giving me trouble mostly because I had to hack it up for each of the shelves and join them with the lovely snapping connectors. The white one's been going fine for about a year of daily use, although I did blow up the first $4 power supply.

These strips are all cheaper than dirt though so unless there's complicated installation involved, I'd just try it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

I bought one of these that I put inside the closet (attached around the inside of the door frame)

US $1.54 34%OFF | 1m 2m 3m Wireless PIR Motion Sensor LED Bed Closet Night light 5V 2835 LED Strip AAA Battery Power Flexiable lamp Illumination
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/hFNTScY

It is amazingly bright and I just recharge the batteries every month or so. It does support 5v micro USB input if you have power handy.
The eneloops I power it with are far more expensive than the light, and that's way cheaper than an electrician callout fee.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Thibs is hgow yu remingd me...

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I installed an ali led-strip with motion-sensor under our bed (the plugged in kind) and it works pretty great for when you have to pee in the middle of the night. I did have to secure it with some double-sided tape because the adhesive it came with let go at some point.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://aliexpress.com/item/30/32974588871.html

Is this a raven which I see before me,
The magnet toward my hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I ordered the Law & Order pin, and got some other one instead. Are sellers generally responsive to messages, or should I just dispute? Or try ordering again because it was only $1?