Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The "thing they should try different" is just shooting the good guys with giant loving spaceship lasers the second they can instead of constantly pussyfooting around and having heart to hearts while breakdance fighting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

If they really wanted to be different they should've just ditched the loving Skywalkers and the First Order entirely

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Well, I mean, that was noted hack JJ Abrams, who is now finishing the trilogy, so

Kennedy advocated for it, it didn't pay off, Disney retreated

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Donovan Trip posted:

Kathleen Kennedy is President of lucasfilm and was agreed upon by both Lucas and Disney. She was the one pushing for TLJ because it was different and had ideas, she even greenlit a Rian trilogy that has since been shut down. She's been the advocate for anything different in these movies and now Disney seems to be feeling they should have reigned her in.

I know Disney said they're slowing their roll with the movies (for good reason). Did they actually cancel the Rian movies? What about the trilogy from those Game of Thrones dudes?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

If they really wanted to be different keep the latest trailer EXACTLY the same except replace Palpatines laughter with a ghostly, high pitched "...ANNIE?!"

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Palpatine is probably just chillin with the ghosts of Ewoks that were killed when the debris from the Death Star smashed into Endor. He doesn’t give a poo poo about the force or the war.

“Hello emperor, I am Kylo Ren, supreme leader of the first order.”
“... what?”
“ uh, I killed Supreme Leader Snoke. With your help, we will finally crush the Resistance once and for all.”
“Hold on. Who the gently caress is Snoke?”

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Big Beef City posted:

The "thing they should try different" is just shooting the good guys with giant loving spaceship lasers the second they can instead of constantly pussyfooting around and having heart to hearts while breakdance fighting them

People always poo poo talk the prequel trilogy's lightsaber fights for being over coreographed but personally I just cannot get enough of these dumb assholes doing unnecessary corkscrews and backflips and pirouettes like they're geralt from the witcher

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

Kathleen Kennedy is President of lucasfilm and was agreed upon by both Lucas and Disney. She was the one pushing for TLJ because it was different and had ideas, she even greenlit a Rian trilogy that has since been shut down. She's been the advocate for anything different in these movies and now Disney seems to be feeling they should have reigned her in.

Kathleen Kennedy is why all the disney star wars films suck dude jfc

She's no Feige because she's not attached to Star Wars the way he is with Marvel. She's always been more on the business executive producer side, and boy does it show with these films

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know Disney said they're slowing their roll with the movies (for good reason). Did they actually cancel the Rian movies? What about the trilogy from those Game of Thrones dudes?

The fact Kathleen Kennedy tapped the GoT showrunners to helm a Star Wars trilogy illustrates everything that is wrong with producers in Hollywood these days. They think because someone makes a poo poo load of money means they are really talented. She did the same with Colin Trevorrow before they canned his rear end solely because that stale Jurassic World movie made 1.5 billion

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Hey now I didn't say these movies suck, that's your opinion pal

Kennedy has one of the most impressive careers in Hollywood, the list of films attached to her isn't an accident. I think what hurts there franchise films is that they took fun movies, corporatized them, designed them by committee, and forgot to have a creative in the room with a singular vision. It's like an inverse Lucas and the head doesn't know what the tail is doing but I still like the movies because i mean I'm a fuckin nerd

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Yup. Box office take =/= good director. Especially when your brand has the momentum of a rogue oil tanker and filming a dog making GBS threads into a wine glass will still net you a few hundred million based on name recognition alone. It also doesn't help that a lot of these hacks are relying on fans with horrible taste and a sad devotion to an ancient trilogy who plan their lives around SW release dates years in advance. Even the Marvel fans who live and breathe that poo poo don't cry at loving teaser trailers like some of the sad-brained SW fans do. Half the people who saw TLJ in theaters opening night (and probably watched it another dozen times while in costume and waving toys at the screen) would probably watch it even if someone was holding a gun to one of their loved one's heads.

Although statistically more likely to be pedos, Star Trek fans seem to be the more level-headed and discerning fanatics of the two.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Blistex posted:

Yup. Box office take =/= good director. Especially when your brand has the momentum of a rogue oil tanker and filming a dog making GBS threads into a wine glass will still net you a few hundred million based on name recognition alone. It also doesn't help that a lot of these hacks are relying on fans with horrible taste and a sad devotion to an ancient trilogy who plan their lives around SW release dates years in advance. Even the Marvel fans who live and breathe that poo poo don't cry at loving teaser trailers like some of the sad-brained SW fans do. Half the people who saw TLJ in theaters opening night (and probably watched it another dozen times while in costume and waving toys at the screen) would probably watch it even if someone was holding a gun to one of their loved one's heads.

Although statistically more likely to be pedos, Star Trek fans seem to be the more level-headed and discerning fanatics of the two.

...uh, ok.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s funny to think how if TLJ came out 10 years earlier, people could say they didn’t like it without being branded actual literal nazis and russian bots.

It’s just fun to imagine a less embarrassing time period in my life.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

It’s funny to think how if TLJ came out 10 years earlier, people could say they didn’t like it without being branded actual literal nazis and russian bots.

It’s just fun to imagine a less embarrassing time period in my life.

If you aren't a Nazi or Russian bot you don't have to be embarrassed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

If you aren't a Nazi or Russian bot you don't have to be embarrassed.

Embarrassed for the world, not for myself.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Nill posted:

Was there seriously no one at Disney raising concerns about Last Jedi when it became apparent early in development what a massive dump Rian was planning to take on their trilogy plans? No grizzled executive saying "We're just now breaking even, how are we going to make a sequel to this hogwash let alone a dozen spinoffs if everyone is dead!?"

At this point my guess is that rian Johnson has some primo blackmail material because why would you promise not just the next movie but an entire new trilogy to that hack?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hairy Busey posted:

At this point my guess is that rian Johnson has some primo blackmail material because why would you promise not just the next movie but an entire new trilogy to that hack?

“Star Wars will make billions no matter what, let everyone have a trilogy that’s just more trilogies and thus more billions. Doesn’t matter who.”

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 15, 2019

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hairy Busey posted:

He's probably really engaging in person and knows how to sell himself and his ideas to suits who don't know poo poo about storytelling and live in constant fear

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

He's probably really engaging in person and knows how to sell himself and his ideas to suits who don't know poo poo about storytelling and live in constant fear

He's got a dick that won't quit and it has a great sense of humor and it always gets the door for you and pays for dinner and it can sing

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Dunno he seemd horrible in interviews too

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
looper, brick, and brothers bloom are all clever and charming small to medium sized films (everyone should go see them!). but they aren't big action blockbuster studio movies which i think is where some of this friction comes from.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Hairy Busey posted:

Dunno he seemd horrible in interviews too

You're a human being, not a movie studio executive. What you like and what they like are very different

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

You're a human being, not a movie studio executive. What you like and what they like are very different

I suppose, among their many infamous predilections, this is the least disgusting

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Didnt they not have a set plot arc, even after filming the force awakens? Like they didnt need three finished scripts but an idea of what would happen, and more importantly where it all needed to go. might have been helpful

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Barudak posted:

Didnt they not have a set plot arc, even after filming the force awakens? Like they didnt need three finished scripts but an idea of what would happen, and more importantly where it all needed to go. might have been helpful

I was under the impression that JJ basically plagiarized the OT and had set up an arc that crudely aped it, and sold it to Disney as his idea for the trilogy. The confusion is if Rian actually did derail it, or if there wasn't enough to go on that he had to make it up as he went along. Either way, the spin-off movies were miles better than the trilogy poo poo JJ had planned, and I can't picture myself seeing another one in Theaters. (I was pretty "meh" about TFA, but liked Rogue One). After hearing about what everyone thought of TLJ I figured I'd wait until it was on netflix, and even then I feel cheated out of money. Solo was fun, but I don't think it was "Theater Worthy".

I'm just hoping we finally get an X-wing/Tie Fighter remake.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

All the Disney Star Warses have been deeply flawed, but each in their own individual way, and that's kinda interesting

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Blistex posted:

I was under the impression that JJ basically plagiarized the OT and had set up an arc that crudely aped it, and sold it to Disney as his idea for the trilogy. The confusion is if Rian actually did derail it, or if there wasn't enough to go on that he had to make it up as he went along. Either way, the spin-off movies were miles better than the trilogy poo poo JJ had planned, and I can't picture myself seeing another one in Theaters. (I was pretty "meh" about TFA, but liked Rogue One). After hearing about what everyone thought of TLJ I figured I'd wait until it was on netflix, and even then I feel cheated out of money. Solo was fun, but I don't think it was "Theater Worthy".

I'm just hoping we finally get an X-wing/Tie Fighter remake.

rian absolutely derailed it. the end of TFA, as confirmed by jj and hamill, was that rey would find luke meditating on the ocean planet, surrounded by huge floating boulders (and this was shot). rian asked for this scene to be changed into what we got.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Rian Johnson made a poo poo movie, and has chosen to spend the rest of his life defending it online instead of moving on with his life.

Lol.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

rian absolutely derailed it. the end of TFA, as confirmed by jj and hamill, was that rey would find luke meditating on the ocean planet, surrounded by huge floating boulders (and this was shot). rian asked for this scene to be changed into what we got.

He actually had a part of TFA (another person's movie) changed, so that he could make his move shittier? And JJ accepted this? He either has the biggest pile of dirt on everyone at Disney, or he can suck dick like nobody else.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm genuinely curious what rian's thoughts were for ep 9. like aside from my snarky "lol rian made a whole star wars movie just to say 'kill your parents'" remarks there's also that bit in there about "this whole war is a sham, it's just to prop up the moneyed interests" and i want to know what he thought an appropriate resolution to that would have been

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So like, is that supposed to be Endor the planet, or the forest moon of Endor that orbits the planet?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Blistex posted:

He actually had a part of TFA (another person's movie) changed, so that he could make his move shittier? And JJ accepted this? He either has the biggest pile of dirt on everyone at Disney, or he can suck dick like nobody else.

JJ has not been that positive on TLJ. He's been polite but otherwise obviously telegraphing that he's going to course correct as much as he needs to. People make a lot of noise about one quote from Abrams about how he wished he could've shot TLJ... but that came from Greg Grunberg, not from Abrams, and when asked about it Abrams basically said that Grunberg overstated his opinion on the film.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
TLJ is the second best Star Wars movie hth

EDIT: the Mandalorian leaked footage is way more interesting than the new trilogy anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0dhPm3vbyE

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 15, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bogus Adventure posted:

Rian Johnson made a poo poo movie, and has chosen to spend the rest of his life defending it online instead of moving on with his life.

Lol.

Everybody please post Rian Johnson defending TLJ ITT, TIA

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I love how they got so lazy in the last one that they just gave up pretending it wasn't a remake of the OT and just said, "gently caress IT! Let's go to Endor! Palpatine is the bad guy! loving GIVE THEM WHAAAAAT THEY WANT!"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"this whole war is a sham, it's just to prop up the moneyed interests" and i want to know what he thought an appropriate resolution to that would have been

Yup

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm genuinely curious what rian's thoughts were for ep 9. like aside from my snarky "lol rian made a whole star wars movie just to say 'kill your parents'" remarks there's also that bit in there about "this whole war is a sham, it's just to prop up the moneyed interests" and i want to know what he thought an appropriate resolution to that would have been

It's in the movie. Benicio is an answer to the romanticism of war in star wars, he isn't raising the question himself. He's a realist in a universe of idealogists. He's there to say ideologists are caught in a war of utilitarian tradition and faith that serves to make the nonfaithful rich, and the third act says the solution isn't revenge, dogma or institutions of religion. It's spirituality, love, and building something new because the fight is long over and the universe (just like the audience) doesn't care, outside of their nostalgia.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Donovan Trip posted:

It's in the movie. Benicio is an answer to the romanticism of war in star wars, he isn't raising the question himself. He's a realist in a universe of idealogists. He's there to say ideologists are caught in a war of utilitarian tradition and faith that serves to make the nonfaithful rich, and the third act says the solution isn't revenge, dogma or institutions of religion. It's spirituality, love, and building something new because the fight is long over and the universe (just like the audience) doesn't care, outside of their nostalgia.

okay but the space nazis are out there still raging, so what, the rest of the galaxy should just shrug and accept their domination?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The space Nazis were boring dogshit Abrams introduced and barely a thing in TLJ, their death planet is destroyed and Rian killed their leader and destroyed their ships. Like neither the rebellion or the space Nazis have poo poo all left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

lmfao