Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

eke out posted:

it's crap

Yang's program is almost literally Milton Friedman's version that kills the safety net in exchange for a much smaller overall set of benefits from ubi

Yes, while UBI might indeed be cool and good in the abstract, Yang is a Silicon Valley dipshit who just views it as a bandaid for capitalism, his version of UBI is a total joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Easy Diff posted:

I keep saying this because it's seriously true: Donald Trump is a textbook Solipsist and it's honestly kind of amazing from a psychiatric and philosophic point of view.

Trump is a creature that was ultimately born to thrive in the modern political environment.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TulliusCicero posted:

The Proud Tower by Barbara Tuchman is an excellent historical account of this trend well before WWI, and Tuchman does an excellent job of connecting the dots between the Monarchists of mid to late 1800s Europe morphing into the conservatives and reactionaries of the right we know today.

They have been using the same anti left racist playbook for the last 150 years.

I will definitely check that out, thanks!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

This coming from the guy who bragged about having the tallest building in Manhattan literally hours after the 9/11 attacks.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

eke out posted:

it's crap

Yang's program is almost literally Milton Friedman's version that kills the safety net in exchange for a much smaller overall set of benefits from ubi

Additionally, i think its been found that the utility of things like SNAP is much higher dollar for dollar than just giving people money.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Easy Diff posted:

I keep saying this because it's seriously true: Donald Trump is a textbook Solipsist and it's honestly kind of amazing from a psychiatric and philosophic point of view.

it was probably somewhere i missed earlier but i was surprised the first time i saw someone refer to him as solipsistic was in an article i read last week. it's always been the best explanation for him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

I haven't watched the video since it came out but iirc Charlemagne (in the video I posted!!) asked him about that and he said he'd be keeping safety net iirc. Is he lying or did he change his position or what

Yang's idea is that you can choose to either keep your benefits OR take the dividend. Of course, everyone will make a perfectly rational free market choice to take the dividend, and that won't cause any issues.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

She had my vote up until now, but I don't know if I could in good conscience vote for someone who films video vertically.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

You know, like Trump steaks, Trump vodka, Trump University, Trump Airlines...

"What the hell do I know" is the truest thing he's said in years.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1117736685721223168?s=19

I love his wierd really petty tweets about how awesome he is because you know for sure those are him

Like yeah dude, we are all painfully aware you are the President

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Is there a good source/reference material on this? I'm curious because I've never really heard someone connect Monarchies with Conservatism before and would like to know more about it.

A lot of it is early american colonial political development combined with britain on one side and france on the other.

I’m sorry I can’t provide a particular piece of information it makes me look rather silly, but the history of the french revolution, and how ideologies consolidated in the western nations after that, is entrenched within a lot of our political systems. It is the origin of the terms right and leftwing, those sitting on the left voted to reduce the monarchy, the right was born in an attempt to conserve the power of the monarchy.

Keeping the money flowing to the top. A George Lakoff quote from snopes here says it well, as a definition of conservatism:

“Conserving the authoritarian power of the strict father in the family—primarily the power to punish and discipline—and in the nation, ‘as if the nation is a family of this kind’”.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

She had my vote up until now, but I don't know if I could in good conscience vote for someone who films video vertically.

I'm willing to let it slide as long as we get more bailey video.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nevvy Z posted:

It's kind of interesting watching red pillers get all nihiilistic and want just $1,000 per month. Maybe we can bribe them into being humans with a little more.

I mean red pill is right on the edge of nihilism anyway, there's a reason the Next Level is the black pill

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Did you time travel here? Who is still worrying about twitter cellphone videos being vertical?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This coming from the guy who bragged about having the tallest building in Manhattan literally hours after the 9/11 attacks.

That rules tho

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump is having himself a day and it’s only 10 AM.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It really can't be overstated, as David J. Roth has repeatedly written about (above everything else) how incredibly weird, like as a person, Donald John Trump is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Easy Diff posted:

It really can't be overstated, as David J. Roth has repeatedly written about (above everything else) how incredibly weird, like as a person, Donald John Trump is.

i must've read each of his trump articles a dozen times they're so good. and of course chapo had to have him on after the burger summit.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yang's idea is that you can choose to either keep your benefits OR take the dividend. Of course, everyone will make a perfectly rational free market choice to take the dividend, and that won't cause any issues.

Yeah that's garbage. I really wish more candidates would push for UBI AND safety nets.

It reminds me a lot of how under No Child Left Behind the worst performing schools got less money despite needing it much more ugh

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

torgo posted:

I'm pretty sure if a guy says "I want to murder my wife. I'm gonna claim self defense and do it.", then later shoots her 5 times in the head, the police aren't gonna buy it if he says "I REALLY thought she was a bear coming for me and I was just defending myself".*

*Unless that guy is a cop.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Koalas March posted:

Yeah that's garbage. I really wish more candidates would push for UBI AND safety nets.

It reminds me a lot of how under No Child Left Behind the worst performing schools got less money despite needing it much more ugh

But is our children learning?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

torgo posted:

These people don't believe in intent.

even worked on the supreme court!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Easy Diff posted:

Mencken's prophecy came true in an astounding way, and it didn't even take a century after being published in 1920. America finally spawned a man who embodied every value it held -- the Protestant view of prosperity as individual worth, the narcissism and intellectual isolationism that comes from a complete disregard for the lessons of history, the deeply racist and fascist moral foundation shared by the federal and state governmental apparatus, and most of all the incredible weirdness and stupidity that comes from being superstitious hillfolk and swampfolk for a century before anyone bothered to learn to read -- and then America promptly elected that man president.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I haven't watched the video since it came out but iirc Charlemagne (in the video I posted!!) asked him about that and he said he'd be keeping safety net iirc. Is he lying or did he change his position or what

No, this is what I was gleaning from the 4Chan/8Chan set regarding this position. They were backing him a lot because they had this notion that with UBI "those people" would lose their assistance and thus usher in the brave new republic.

Purely my opinion based on what these idiots were babbling.

E: Also apparently his actual position. Sorry I'm out of the country and haven't been as in the loop as I should be.

Medium Chungus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 15, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1117787850399989766 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1117793692281135104 He mad today.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

david frum thinks this guy is playing 4D chess with the dems.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

David Frum ping pongs between being a credulous idiot and a monster depending on who he's trying to criticize.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

:911:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Is he trying to tap into post 9/11 patriotism by continuing to say "never forget" in regards to his dumb campaign?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Faustian Bargain posted:

Is he trying to tap into post 9/11 patriotism by continuing to say "never forget" in regards to his dumb campaign?

I mean I certainly will never forget these past few hellyears, so maybe he's onto something.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

You know, like Trump steaks, Trump vodka, Trump University, Trump Airlines...

"What the hell do I know" is the truest thing he's said in years.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1117736685721223168?s=19

Oh, I'm pretty sure other products have gone through worse. And isn't this like a complete 180 from him when this poo poo went down and he said planes are too complicated?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
his base/ regressives doesnt care, but why doesnt some other billionaire just constantly buy commercials times of Donnie bragging about his poo poo tower being higher again after 9/11.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/jMESSpalmer/status/1117801982478159873?s=19

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This is the type of thing that, if linked to the Arkansas or New York State, would be tied to the Clinton's forever and ever in perpetuity in the wingnutosphere.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

F. Lobot posted:

Trumps previous statements on muslims make this more problematic, but Dems have on-large failed to establish that link. Instead it feeds into the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" myth when Dems say "It's horrible that Trump tweeted something this bad" meanwhile to the average onlooker the tweet is nothing out of the ordinary.

Dude, the link is clear and obvious. It's not any sort of "Democrats have failed to establish that link" or "Democrats haven't messaged well enough that Trump is racist" or "Democrats aren't good at messaging", it's that 75% of Americans generally agree with Trump that Muslims are all dangerous terrorists you can't trust.

And that includes the media, so any Democrat saying, "these tweets are racist", no matter how well messaged or logical, are going to be met with skeptical columns and frowning news anchors who dismiss and deride it because otherwise they'd have to actually admit that they themselves were racist.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

Whenever the democrats have days like this (lol when dont they) I just remind myself that the republican party’s progress over the last few decades has just been a mirror to the democrats and the center left. Hillary and her political supporters are dead in the water and may have been for almost 10 years at this point. Trump is here in our face because the democrats ran a dead candidate. He’s more of a tell about the democrats than he is the republicans.

The electoral college and the house of reps is significantly slanted so as to over represent lower population states which is contrary to the constitutional intent.

The Donald is more of a tell of the systemic disenfranchisement of the majority than anything else.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mdemone posted:

Mencken's prophecy came true in an astounding way, and it didn't even take a century after being published in 1920. America finally spawned a man who embodied every value it held -- the Protestant view of prosperity as individual worth, the narcissism and intellectual isolationism that comes from a complete disregard for the lessons of history, the deeply racist and fascist moral foundation shared by the federal and state governmental apparatus, and most of all the incredible weirdness and stupidity that comes from being superstitious hillfolk and swampfolk for a century before anyone bothered to learn to read -- and then America promptly elected that man president.

He really is like the Id of all Fox News viewers come to life

And he's deeply, truly unhappy.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
What’s the chance that Trumps latest Shitweets are going to result in some crazed nut job making an attempt on Ilhan Omar’s life? I’m sure he’s riling up some followers that are just insane enough to make an attempt. I’m glad that they’re beefing up security on her at least, but someone really needs to get Trump to cut that poo poo out. Some wacko is going to take it literally.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Our big strong leader.

Everybody where ever you are right now say the part in caps out loud, it's like trying to say Bubbles angry.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ringo Star Get posted:

What’s the chance that Trumps latest Shitweets are going to result in some crazed nut job making an attempt on Ilhan Omar’s life? I’m sure he’s riling up some followers that are just insane enough to make an attempt. I’m glad that they’re beefing up security on her at least, but someone really needs to get Trump to cut that poo poo out. Some wacko is going to take it literally.

That's Trump's goal imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mdemone posted:

A reminder that they found a bad candidate to run against him with the worst political campaign conceived by mankind, and he still only won because our broken system doesn't actually care about what the voting majority wants, but what empty land wants, along with copious help from a hostile foreign power.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement