Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

star war beta max posted:

Everybody wondering how JJ Abraham's is going to resolve all the "plot lines" of the last jedi and make it mesh with the force Wakes and bring it all together is a satisfactory and cohesive ending.................. Real head scratcher here folks à real conundrum.

I'm sure he'll pull it off with his characteristic elegance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Donovan Trip posted:

"sorry, you're no one" is second only to "I'm you're father" but ymmv

That's not even close. Luke thinks that his father was a great jedi knight that was killed by evil Darth Vader. It's one of the things that motivates Luke to fight the empire. But surprise, Vader didn't kill his father, he is his father. It's an important plot point and it's a genuine twist that comes out of nowhere (with the exception of Luke's vision in the cave I guess). It's something that immediately impacts Luke and is vital for his character development.

It's different with Rey because it was never established or suggested that her parents were important. In TFA it's not clear whether she knows who her parents were but it's implied that she was abandoned and she knows it, she's just unable to accept it. She then moves on at the end to search for a surrogate father figure. She doesn't even seem to care very much about her real parents.The revelation that they were nobodies was a big deal maybe if you gave in to the hype that had nothing to do with the content of the movies themselves. Rey barely reacts to it and it has no bearing on her actions afterwards. She thinks she's nobody from nowhere and is not surprised when Kylo confirms that.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The thing with Rey is that unlike Luke, where his backstory is very clearly set up (his dad was a navigator on a spice freighter and he died and left his kid with their aunt and uncle) and has already been questioned before the big twist (your dad was a jedi and he was old Ben’s best friend and they fought together in the Clone Wars), Rey’s backstory is inchoate and implicit. She was apparently abandoned at a young age in a garbage dump where she makes a living by scavenging, she’s kind of fixated on the idea she holds of the events of the original trilogy, and she seems to have no friends or relationships of any kind except an antagonistic business dealing with her slumlord/exploiter who will never be seen again and isn’t relevant to anything. So twists about her backstory are not going to yield the same kind of catharsis because we barely know what it is, let alone how Rey really feels about it.

e: I recall reading that something that got cut from TFA was Rey having some kind of mentor relationship with Max von Sydow’s character (old guy that Kylo merks at the beginning) a la Luke & Ben. If that’s true then it’s a pity it was cut. One of the most disappointing aspects of these movies for me is that Rey is so much a woman of action constantly zipping about the universe doing big things that we have very little sense of what sort of person she is. There’s no humanizing moment like Luke’s disappointment that he can’t get to Tosche station and waste time with his friends. Probably the most interesting scene in TLJ is the Mirror Cave: Rey descends into the Dark Side and sees...only herself repeated infinitely, not doing anything of importance (contrast Luke’s frightening battle with his Vader-self inside the evil tree in ESB), just there. Later she admits that she was hoping to see her parents. Really? In a cave of the dark side? Why was she hoping for that? We don’t know because she never comes back to the subject or really reflects on it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 15, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it turns out her parents were Noh and Bodhi, the two most hitherto unknown powerful Jedi in the galaxy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nobody. No. Body.

OK Rey was definitely fathered (and possibly birthed) by the disembodied spirit of Palpatine.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It's hilarious that they are making GBS threads all over rian Johnson's work and he just has to take it.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how many new likable characters will be introduced in this new Star War.

White guy in a beige jacket. He squints.
White woman with brown hair tied up in a pony tail. Types on a computer and says "I used to think we were fighting for something that matters, now I see that we're just.....fighting"
White kids with force powers...........power to fly through space and atmosphere???
a cgi motion captured purple octopus voice acted by the fat kid from stranger things
a black girl who discovers Finn trying to escape again because hes still a worthless coward... and they have a romance that is allowed to develop because China didn't like the miscegenation of the previous film.
A new robot, full cgi, voiced by woody harrilson and mo-caped by andy circus. its called "2-KW3L" and it loves eating tacos. Revealed to be C3P0s son.
A white guy with a robot arm and PTSD. He wears a dark brown coat and the camera allways zooms up on him real close and he fights with ninja throwing stars that he spins like fidget spinners.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

skasion posted:

The thing with Rey is that unlike Luke, where his backstory is very clearly set up (his dad was a navigator on a spice freighter and he died and left his kid with their aunt and uncle) and has already been questioned before the big twist (your dad was a jedi and he was old Ben’s best friend and they fought together in the Clone Wars), Rey’s backstory is inchoate and implicit. She was apparently abandoned at a young age in a garbage dump where she makes a living by scavenging, she’s kind of fixated on the idea she holds of the events of the original trilogy, and she seems to have no friends or relationships of any kind except an antagonistic business dealing with her slumlord/exploiter who will never be seen again and isn’t relevant to anything. So twists about her backstory are not going to yield the same kind of catharsis because we barely know what it is, let alone how Rey really feels about it.

Characters don't need backstories and can be defined in the present. But with Rey they made discovering her nonexistent backstory her entire motivation for two thirds of her trilogy. That's a dumb move. Luke was never looking to discover who his father was, and audiences weren't waiting to see the reveal, hence why it took them by surprise.

JJ Abrams is known for using lazy "mystery box" writing to propel narratives. Unfortunately, Rey's characterisation bore the brunt of this as set up in TFA. So two thirds of her journey is spent trying to discover where she came from rather than looking ahead at where she is going. Her lack of set belief or affiliation might be interesting, making the narrative so far all about her discovering who she wants to be. Except the answer isn't satisfying in the end. Her closest and most compelling interactions are with Kylo Ren, but she rejects him for the resistance with no real explanation or convincing emotional pull to take her back to them. So it took an entire movie to get back to where she was to begin with, just with the resistance by default (and by a forced relationship with Han/Leia that is kind of bizarrely loving and unconvincing since they have spent only a few minutes together).

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

"We have to go back, Rey!"

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Captain Jesus posted:

That's not even close. Luke thinks that his father was a great jedi knight that was killed by evil Darth Vader. It's one of the things that motivates Luke to fight the empire. But surprise, Vader didn't kill his father, he is his father. It's an important plot point and it's a genuine twist that comes out of nowhere (with the exception of Luke's vision in the cave I guess). It's something that immediately impacts Luke and is vital for his character development.

It's different with Rey because it was never established or suggested that her parents were important. In TFA it's not clear whether she knows who her parents were but it's implied that she was abandoned and she knows it, she's just unable to accept it. She then moves on at the end to search for a surrogate father figure. She doesn't even seem to care very much about her real parents.The revelation that they were nobodies was a big deal maybe if you gave in to the hype that had nothing to do with the content of the movies themselves. Rey barely reacts to it and it has no bearing on her actions afterwards. She thinks she's nobody from nowhere and is not surprised when Kylo confirms that.

It's important because Star Wars has been about royal blood lines, and here is someone from nothing, without the Skywalker midichlorians or whatever pseudoscience the establishment Jedi believed in, a new line the force created without the Skywalker history. Yes, you are special. No, you are no one.

It's a big deal in a universe where the only important people have been Skywalkers, it's a different kind of message for a different generation of viewer. The new movie looks engineered to undo that as much as possible and I think it's going to hurt the box office internationally. The rest of the world doesn't care so much about OT.

Plus Adam Driver delivers that line with great callousness

Universe Master posted:

It's hilarious that they are making GBS threads all over rian Johnson's work and he just has to take it.

Agreed, there are lots of ways to enjoy Star Wars, the directors working on them hating each other being one of them!

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 15, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I wonder how many new likable characters will be introduced in this new Star War.

White guy in a beige jacket. He squints.
White woman with brown hair tied up in a pony tail. Types on a computer and says "I used to think we were fighting for something that matters, now I see that we're just.....fighting"
White kids with force powers...........power to fly through space and atmosphere???
a cgi motion captured purple octopus voice acted by the fat kid from stranger things
a black girl who discovers Finn trying to escape again because hes still a worthless coward... and they have a romance that is allowed to develop because China didn't like the miscegenation of the previous film.
A new robot, full cgi, voiced by woody harrilson and mo-caped by andy circus. its called "2-KW3L" and it loves eating tacos. Revealed to be C3P0s son.
A white guy with a robot arm and PTSD. He wears a dark brown coat and the camera allways zooms up on him real close and he fights with ninja throwing stars that he spins like fidget spinners.

:burger:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

In the end they just realize that regular people are too stupid for their own good and the power of the dark side is just a necessary evil meant to be used to stop rogue actors from empowering the masses from doing stupid poo poo to themselves in the long run, and that an ordered, structured society overseeing such a large contingent of interconnected societies is needed to maintain peace and logistical strength between them all.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Donovan Trip posted:

It's a big deal in a universe where the only important people have been Skywalkers, it's a different kind of message for a different generation of viewer. The new movie looks engineered to undo that as much as possible and I think it's going to hurt the box office internationally. The rest of the world doesn't care so much about OT.

If they don't care about the OT, then that empowering political message (???) is irrelevant. As such it's not surprising that it's not that non-twist the viewers take away from that scene, but that Kylo went from being "I take what I want!!!" to "Join me, please, I beg of you". He's such a heartthrob.

Which when you think about it is a kinda hosed up way to portray someone who's literally murdered several trillion people.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

If they don't care about the OT, then that empowering political message (???) is irrelevant.

Disney wants to make Star Wars movies forever, yeah? Most of the world does not care about the old movies. So, it's not so much an empowering political message, it gave episode 9 chance to be a wholly new kind of ending arc, that opens up the universe in a BIG way.

International attendance of these movies has not been good, with almost no one going to see Solo. The main series has done decently, so leaning hard into Western nostalgia to close this out seems like Disney throwing their hands up about the whole potential of a universe bigger than Skywalker. At least for a while, on the silver screen.

JJ is pissed off and making it about rebellion and the emperor because he doesn't have any ideas.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Star wars: Skywalkers erection

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

But what about the Chinese market!

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Universe Master posted:

But what about the Chinese market!

Well yeah. India and China are more important markets than the dying American Cinema

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I’m so excited about this movie. I hope there are more shots like them running past the falcon calling it junk so I could point at the screen and yell I remember that! I’m like a hog who eats only things I can remember from being a kid I HATE new things

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hitchensgoespop posted:

Not trying to be an edge lord here but I genuinely couldn't give a poo poo about this film, the last two I watched in the cinema and I definitely wasn't on board with all the retarded misogynistic poo poo over the last one, the last one just sucked major balls and killed it for me.

Same although I actually still haven't seen more than the first 20-30 minutes of The Force Awakens because I fell asleep and I just can't be bothered honestly.

I used to be suuuuper into Star Wars too it's a shame. I am starting to think maybe I like the prequels more because at least those were entertaining whereas these ones are just... boring. That's really the worst thing - I could forgive the plot holes and stupid decisions from characters and weird things like Rey being a saber master with 0 training and everything else but they're just so goddamn boring. At this point I'd rather sit at home and jerk off for 3 hours than go pay money to see Star Wars.

Rogue One was alright.

Donovan Trip posted:

it gave episode 9 chance to be a wholly new kind of ending arc, that opens up the universe in a BIG way.

They already had this but they decided nah let's scrap all the EU then somehow make worse movies than the EU would have been. The Emperor and Darth Vader are dead and most of the Imperial Fleet with most of the fancy ships have been destroyed at Endor. They could go pretty much anywhere from there.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 15, 2019

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Donovan Trip posted:

It's important because Star Wars has been about royal blood lines, and here is someone from nothing, without the Skywalker midichlorians or whatever pseudoscience the establishment Jedi believed in, a new line the force created without the Skywalker history. Yes, you are special. No, you are no one.

Plus Adam Driver delivers that line with great callousness

Rey doesn’t think she’s special though and nobody considers her the chosen one or anything like that. I agree the scene is a good moment between the two characters but it’s nowhere near the “I am your father” revelation.

I think the point of the scene isn’t really that Rey is no one but that she is someone to Kylo Ren. But a viewer paying attention will know both of these things already at that point.

I personally thought having Rey be obi wans daughter or anything like that would be extremely stupid so I was just relieved they weren’t doing that.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
I am really debating if it will be any good cause the last jedi was painful i am still getting the taste crap out my mouth but who know looks like jj got a great idea

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Dear Watson posted:

I’m so excited about this movie. I hope there are more shots like them running past the falcon calling it junk so I could point at the screen and yell I remember that! I’m like a hog who eats only things I can remember from being a kid I HATE new things

Hell same. I’m going to whoop, holler and cheer when lando comes on screen FYI.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If they gonna have Lanfo back, they gotta have Nien Nunbnuts copiloting with him.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
jj abrams is a terrible director and a terrible storyteller. he very much wants to be spielberg, but falls short in every way so he’ll just make mediocre genre pictures with established ips for the rest of his life.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
What if Rey gets adopted and becomes a defacto Skywalker? That's a pretty stupid way to solve the problem so it might happen!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Darth Vader is back boys but now he's called Darth Blader and he's got cool blades like wolverine

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Darth Bladder because this movie is 2 1/2 hours and there's no freakin intermission! :monocle:

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Darth Maul but it's Darth MALL and he runs a store selling commemorative versions of his double sword

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The cast of Red Tails cameo in the new star wars movie as themselves

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KillerJunglist posted:

What if Rey gets adopted and becomes a defacto Skywalker? That's a pretty stupid way to solve the problem so it might happen!

Rey: My father was a nobody.

Luke: No Rey, I am your father now!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the best part about the disney star wars movies are the "behind-the-scenes" "interviews" where everything is so inorganically clean and sterile. Like everyone gets along, everyone's on the same page, there are no conflicts or disagreements or eyerolling or cynicism. I Love Big Disney.

Meanwhile it's so obvious that Disney wants to erase Kathleen Kennedy from existence and that jabrams is gonna retcon the last Jedi into last century. At least the prequel behind the scenes were honest, if not entirely self aware

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QuarkJets posted:

I was hoping that the hacker was just going to be Lando livin it up at the casino and we'd spend 30 minutes with him seducing and then graphically making love to finn's new girlfriend. Then Lobot walks in, looks at Finn and is like "lol owned" before taking a fat rip off a space bong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqccwbjzVjA&t=91s

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The idea that Skywalker supplants jedi as the term for force users is so terrible. That better not be the case.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Chomp8645 posted:

Rey: My father was a nobody.

Luke: No Rey, I am your father now!

Who’s yer daddy

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Leon Einstein posted:

The idea that Skywalker supplants jedi as the term for force users is so terrible. That better not be the case.

I'd like to think Abrams, even for all his doofy views on good filmmaking, knows this. I'd wager "Rise of Skywalker" would probably end up referring to Luke's role as inspirational figure which the climax of TLJ touched on rather than something asinine like "Rey was a Skywalker all along" or "it's the new word for Jedi" or "actually, it's referring to Kylo Ren/Ben Solo."

But this is Abrams, and I have very little faith in his skills as a storyteller.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
The Jurassic Park lady ramming that ship and miraculously killing all 5,000 people in the hangar bay except for the 2 heroes and main bad guy was the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a movie

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

They should have had the republic just turn into the first order immediately after overthrowing the old empire and all the ex-rebels are the only ones who oppose the new authoritarians.

The resistance is the one who does space 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Everybody wondering how JJ Abraham's is going to resolve all the "plot lines" of the last jedi and make it mesh with the force Wakes and bring it all together is a satisfactory and cohesive ending.................. Real head scratcher here folks à real conundrum.

Cold open. Luke wakes up, blue milk all over his face. He mutters 'what a weird rear end nightmare, I'm never getting smashed on Bantha milk again." THEN the SW credits roll and it's obvious to all that TLJ never actually happened.

Later in the movie Luke is telling some pilots about the gravity bomber ship from his dream, and is told that such a ship would be "dumber than Jar Jar Binks." They all have a laugh.

Luke becomes a respected elder and passes on Jedi traditions minus all the weird celibacy poo poo and whatever and a new less-loving-religiously-weird Jedi order is born to help protect the fledgling Republic against assaults from Imperial-era warlords grasping for power and other unknown threats. Wisdom in the form of repackaged zen koans is given out. Cool space battles are had.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 15, 2019