Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Donovan Trip posted:

Yes, you are special. No, you are no one.

It's a big deal in a universe where the only important people have been Skywalkers, it's a different kind of message for a different generation of viewer. The new movie looks engineered to undo that as much as possible and I think it's going to hurt the box office internationally. The rest of the world doesn't care so much about OT.

The last jedi did pretty bad internationally, so i somehiw doubt that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
The best would have been the resistance doing space 9/11, then the first order invades them and a bunch of unrelated planets using the attack as a pretense. The final movie has them almost wiped out before they are saved by a multinational army that's fighting to create a new republic based on jediism called the jedi state of the inner sphere also known as jSIS

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/978819689341059072

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Not as bad as Solo and rogue one, that's the measure now. I mean you gotta keep in mind Disney has had numerous plans for star wars and stuck to none of them, changed strategy after every film, there's no central leader here and these movies need vision. It's film by committee, with no source material.

I like TLJ but I'm in no way trying to spend time convincing anyone it's secretly great or something. If you don't like it that's valid. I think there are different ways of interpreting something you don't like in films, and i think thats fun but everyone is right that the well is pretty godamn dry here

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Donovan Trip posted:

Not as bad as Solo and rogue one, that's the measure now. I mean you gotta keep in mind Disney has had numerous plans for star wars and stuck to none of them, changed strategy after every film, there's no central leader here and these movies need vision. It's film by committee, with no source material.

I hope they re-hire Lucas

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Donovan Trip posted:

Star Wars is also on hiatus after TROS (welcome that acronym to Star Wars) because all Anthology movies got scrapped and any new trilogies aren't even written yet. It's for the best because Disney really needs to figure out a plan here because its almost like they just assumed Star Wars would just print money regardless of quality.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Regarding Lucas, The phantom menace is at least tightly edited and fun bad rather than boring bad. Kids like it. That's more than many would say about the new trilogy

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

How hard would it have been to make a movie where the original trilogy's cast were treated respectfully and allowed to pass the torch to the new cast?

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Donovan Trip posted:

Regarding Lucas, The phantom menace is at least tightly edited and fun bad rather than boring bad. Kids like it. That's more than many would say about the new trilogy

Also it tried new things without endlessly rehashing the original movies. Even tha drat design and spaceships in the new movies are.boring as poo poo. They suck even for selling toys

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Ironslave posted:

I'd like to think Abrams, even for all his doofy views on good filmmaking, knows this. I'd wager "Rise of Skywalker" would probably end up referring to Luke's role as inspirational figure which the climax of TLJ touched on rather than something asinine like "Rey was a Skywalker all along" or "it's the new word for Jedi" or "actually, it's referring to Kylo Ren/Ben Solo."

But this is Abrams, and I have very little faith in his skills as a storyteller.

It wouldn't surprise me if Luke isn't really dead or a force ghost and they just retcon him disappearing at the end. It's astral projections all the way down. Even though I think Luke turning his back on the Jedi is a decent idea on paper, the way it was handled in the new movies was pretty terrible. Hammill was at least open in the press about hating the direction for his character and that the new movies were like relay races in that nothing was planned and one director picks up where the last one left off. He said as much as he could publicly without a giant Mickey Mouse cane yanking him offstage

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

Star Wars is also on hiatus after TROS (welcome that acronym to Star Wars) because all Anthology movies got scrapped and any new trilogies aren't even written yet. It's for the best because Disney really needs to figure out a plan here because its almost like they just assumed Star Wars would just print money regardless of quality.

They tried to do the avengers trilogy + character trilogy model with Star Wars ignoring the fact they didn't have decades of writers works as a starting point. And yup, it's hubris too.

It really is a headless corporate committee product with no vision, there are universal tells when that happens whether the product is a movie or an app or an event or whatever else. Everyone wanted to be in charge so no one was. There were no agreed upon principles, except as you said they all agreed they would make money. Aaaaand they mangled that, too

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Hairy Busey posted:

Also it tried new things without endlessly rehashing the original movies.
baby Darth Vader made C3PO. come on lol.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hairy Busey posted:

Also it tried new things without endlessly rehashing the original movies. Even tha drat design and spaceships in the new movies are.boring as poo poo. They suck even for selling toys

I was pretty surprised, from a marketing standpoint, that there were only three spaceships for video games and toys to use. An x-wing+ a TIE fighter+, and Star Destroyer+. Nothing else. Like what are people supposed to work. There literally wasn't any resistance vessel that I can remember on screen larger than a fighter.

Oh but it's ok they have quirky space-gnome bartender that we're very told and very not shown is totally cool and badass. That'll help.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

anyone else keep reading it as "ree-ann" and not "ryan" ?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Donovan Trip posted:

Ive always thought that was the best prequel movie because it had some semblance of a story arc people could give a poo poo about. Without jar jar and a different, older anakin actor it would have been serviceable

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
These numbers are based on available rounded estimates of course but some quick math

TFA + 2 BILLION
ROGUE ONE + 1 BILLION
TLJ + 1 BILLION
SOLO + 450 MILLION
~~~~
BUYING THE FRANCHISE - 4 BILLION
MAKING 4 MOVIES - 1.5 BILLION
GLOBAL ADVERTISING of 4 MOVIES - ~5 BILLION
ALL SORTS OF MERCH COSTS - 900 MILLION

Disney has lost billions on Star Wars so far and that's pretty funny. Lucas won tbh

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 15, 2019

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
I'd like to think the advertising backfired a bit on them as I know a lot of people who got real sick of seeing Star Wars everywhere.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KillerJunglist posted:

I'd like to think the advertising backfired a bit on them as I know a lot of people who got real sick of seeing Star Wars everywhere.

My research shows that even on Something Awful a majority of folk are just sick of all these star war!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Donovan Trip posted:

These numbers are based on available rounded estimates of course but some quick math

TFA + 2 BILLION
ROGUE ONE + 1 BILLION
TLJ + 1 BILLION
SOLO + 450 MILLION
~~~~

Disney has lost billions on Star Wars so far and that's pretty funny. Lucas won tbh

They'll make it all back in the next year guaranteed. People are about to pay $1000 a night to stay in a hotel and pretend to be a Star Wars person.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Donovan Trip posted:

they didn't have decades of writers works as a starting point. And yup, it's hubris too.

They totally did though, they just decided they knew better.

If they did the Rogue Squadron books into movies they'd be having their collective genitals sucked off but instead, this.

There's was a lot of crap in EU don't get me wrong but there was also a lot that wasn't.

Donovan Trip posted:

TFA + 2 BILLION
ROGUE ONE + 1 BILLION
TLJ + 1 BILLION
SOLO + 450 MILLION
~~~~

It is funny but also I don't think it's fair to put merch costs in the list without putting merch profits? Or are they just in the hole $900m on merch period (would be surprising tbh)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNZove4OTtI

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 15, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, I'd wager that Disney is in the black with respect to all things Star Wars. However, I'd also wager that they expected to have made more money by now. China's indifference to it is probably putting a bigger dent in things than anything else.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Ive always thought that was the best prequel movie because it had some semblance of a story arc people could give a poo poo about. Without jar jar and a different, older anakin actor it would have been serviceable

tell me you know about the "evil jar-jar theory"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Universe Master posted:

It's hilarious that they are making GBS threads all over rian Johnson's work and he just has to take it.

Looking at the rate that Disney is gobbling up studios, if he does anything to piss them off he won't have anywhere to work.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I'd wager that Disney is in the black with respect to all things Star Wars. However, I'd also wager that they expected to have made more money by now. China's indifference to it is probably putting a bigger dent in things than anything else.

Imagine a movie so bad even China doesn't watch it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hairy Busey posted:

You don't have to. Check out Asura:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKmbBYiC01g

It's a movie chock full of CGI and bad storytelling, a lot like the new Star Wars movies

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hairy Busey posted:

:eyepop:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
no one's ever really gone

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Luke's disappearing act wasn't an off screen death, he just learned Force Teleport and will be doing it all the time to everyone's annoyance.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
sometimes its worth fighting for the things you love!

but sorry we will still have to edit finn out of the chinese poster

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

They'll make it all back in the next year guaranteed. People are about to pay $1000 a night to stay in a hotel and pretend to be a Star Wars person.

How much did it cost them to put that together?
How much does it cost them to run it every day?
How many people can stay there every night, and how many room nights do they have booked at '$1000 per night'?

They're gonna make back billions of dollars in a year, in an industry known to have poor profit margins, capitalizing on a fan base they just pissed off and watched run away from them, on one hotel property huh? Billions?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlestonJew posted:

no one's ever really gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTLC_uiGFA

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Fanboys rise up

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

End of Shoelace posted:

And yet, hilariously, Black Panther made like 2-3 times as much money in China as The Last Jedi.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hairy Busey posted:

And yet, hilariously, Black Panther made like 2-3 times as much money in China as The Last Jedi.

The Marvel franchise is massive in China, unlike Star Wars which nobody gives a greasy poo poo about. IP man in Rogue One couldn't even make Chinese fans go to the theater.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Blistex posted:

The Marvel franchise is massive in China, unlike Star Wars which nobody gives a greasy poo poo about. IP man in Rogue One couldn't even make Chinese fans go to the theater.

It's really not surprising since the only exposure China had to star wars maina in the 70's was a weird comic.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

The universe and plot they created for 7 was poorly thought out and made exclusively to repeat the story of new hope. By going the direction they did they locked themselves into a dead end plot. They could’ve done anything with the IP, but Disney is a soulless corporation and creativity and passion don’t exist there.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

End of Shoelace posted:

He’s considered an alien monster in China, they think of him as basically a rancor.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

The Skeleton King posted:

The universe and plot they created for 7 was poorly thought out and made exclusively to repeat the story of new hope. By going the direction they did they locked themselves into a dead end plot. They could’ve done anything with the IP, but Disney is a soulless corporation and creativity and passion don’t exist there.

Dave Filoni is doing good things as the curator for the animated shows and the upcoming Mandalorian series. Too bad those don't have nearly the reach of the movies.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Laterite posted:

Dave Filoni is doing good things as the curator for the animated shows and the upcoming Mandalorian series. Too bad those don't have nearly the reach of the movies.

Yeah, while really don't care too much for the sequel trilogy, things like Rouge One, Rebels, and the Mandalorian make me hopeful that good star wars content is still a thing. And I will consume it like the lowly nerd I am.

I grew up with Shadows of the Empire stuff, comics, and the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, so not having it in a movie format isn't a big deal for me, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Something vaguely Jedi Knight-ish wouldn't be a bad way forward. You get Han Solo smartass with the morally grey fun and the pew-pew sword and acrobatics.

Moridin920 posted:

If they did the Rogue Squadron books into movies they'd be having their collective genitals sucked off but instead, this.
I'd laugh very hard if the post-credits teaser scene is a variation on "Fine, I'll do it myself" and instead of a purple buff california raisin it's loving Thrawn finally.

Hairy Busey posted:

I hope they re-hire Lucas
I made a joke about him reappearing for Celebration 2025 to blow everyone's mind, but I don't think Disney is thatdesperate.