Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cochise posted:

I mean it's being completely destroyed by the fire too.

Yeah, but imagine the shitstorm if it was purposely destroyed vs destroyed by the fire. Not to mention air drop water isn't like precision bombing, whichever way that plane comes in it's gonna hose down everything in that path coming in and going out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

My mind is being dragged back to Brazil’s museum right now.

Our negligence is destroying everything. Even the things time didn’t tear down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
So the question now is will they just recreate it or can they resist the urge to add "modern touches" when they rebuild?

Sucks that people won't get to experience seeing that drat place anymore.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Literally beyond parody

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

that's why they had a hard and fast "no campfires on the roof" policy, but when you make a rule it just tempts somebody to break it

somewhere fumer l'ours is loving PISSED

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

We can at least hope that the vaulted ceilings hold up. Those are stone although the structure above them is timber with lead sheeting for the roof.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This loving sucks and will be a tragedy for the history of human culture. Can’t wait for the hot takes about how this is actually a good thing because it’s an obnoxious display of religious authority or some poo poo.

Yeah gently caress that noise. I'm atheist but this is a monument to human achievement built by people. I don't care what they believed.

If the fire is contained to the roof things could be worse, the central spire wasn't even 100 years old. There's people alive who remember it being built. The original survived 500 years but was so decrepit it was torn down in 1786. The one that just collapsed was a re-creation.

The biggest problem is the building is so loving big they can't get to the fire at all. They may have to either risk lives by running hoses to the still-standing roof to fight the fire over the cathedral or let it burn itself out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Wow that a bunch of the wood was still original

I honestly didn't know wooden structures could last that long

The oldest surviving wooden structures are in Nara, Japan and date back to 700. This kind of thing is rare, especially since you wind up in a ship of Theseus situation, but there are a few extremely old wooden buildings out there.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Generic American posted:

Literally beyond parody

Yeah let's just put garbage into orbit for shits and giggles, nothing could go wrong

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Butts posted:

We don't know what caused it yet.

Right, assumption and all that, but still It'd be like if St. Paul's Cathedral burned down during renovation work, or if the Genbaku Dome got taken out by a bulldozer accidentally left in gear.

EDIT: It's a wondrous piece of human architecture and a monument to human engineering that may end up being a pile of ashes and charred stone when all is said and done. It's pretty depressing.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Has anybody said, "Watch Macron start a loving war!" yet?

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The oldest surviving wooden structures are in Nara, Japan and date back to 700. This kind of thing is rare, especially since you wind up in a ship of Theseus situation, but there are a few extremely old wooden buildings out there.

I remain of the opinion that it is the same ship. Notre Dame isn’t gone unless they wipe away every trace and then what’s left is the Original Site of Notre Dame still.

That doesn’t make any of this less depressing. At least no injured, that’s all that’s good.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FilthyImp posted:

So the question now is will they just recreate it or can they resist the urge to add "modern touches" when they rebuild?

Sucks that people won't get to experience seeing that drat place anymore.

Unless that modern touch is a sprinkler system in which case add-away.

What a loving tragic fire. All we can hope for now is that the "no deaths" holds.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Well gently caress, this is a tragedy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
a religious icon destroyed due to a poorly-planned attempt to restore it, you say?

gentlemen, I believe we have our suspect

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1117852874128658433

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Noise Complaint posted:

You're talking nearly 1000 year old lumber that was probably soaked in pine pitch or something to preserve it. The lumber in that place was a match waiting to go up.

Which makes it even more amazing it lasted this long, survived English invasions, two world wars, Nazi occupation, and like a half dozen revolutions and street battles.

Props to the original architects and engineers.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Harik posted:

Yeah gently caress that noise. I'm atheist but this is a monument to human achievement built by people. I don't care what they believed.

If the fire is contained to the roof things could be worse, the central spire wasn't even 100 years old. There's people alive who remember it being built. The original survived 500 years but was so decrepit it was torn down in 1786. The one that just collapsed was a re-creation.

The biggest problem is the building is so loving big they can't get to the fire at all. They may have to either risk lives by running hoses to the still-standing roof to fight the fire over the cathedral or let it burn itself out.

The building was built to educate illiterate people through art. Granted it was the Bible and to only the benefit of the Catholic church, but seeing the Last Judgement in person is really loving something. The inside was overwhelming.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CPColin posted:

In the GBS thread on the first page.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Noise Complaint posted:

The building was built to educate illiterate people through art. Granted it was the Bible and to only the benefit of the Catholic church, but seeing the Last Judgement in person is really loving something. The inside was overwhelming.

There should be pretty strong digital records of everything, maybe it will be replicable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's just odd to me that a major world landmark can just..burn down in 2019. 1819? Sure.

It's really not odd at all. Carelessness transcends time and fame.

CPColin posted:

No, but I'm looking forward to the dumbass comment he's gonna have about it.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There should be pretty strong digital records of everything, maybe it will be replicable.

yeah, who needs timeless monuments when you can just pay $5 for a tour on your smartphone vr headset, right

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

What the gently caress?!

The most Godly President of all time truly sees himself in the story of a man who overcame the adversity of *checks notes* repeatedly cheating on his wife.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/velocciraptor/status/1117852682088112128?s=20

yeah I can’t imagine they didn’t go through the effort of imaging the entire structure to aid in preservation

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kerning Chameleon posted:

yeah, who needs timeless monuments when you can just pay $5 for a tour on your smartphone vr headset, right

i don't think that was what this poster was suggesting. maybe cool it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Generic American posted:

Literally beyond parody

:cry: :cry: :gonk: gently caress gently caress gently caress now I'm tearing up again why would you post this

catch a riiiiiiiiiiiiidee......

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Generic American posted:

Literally beyond parody

lolk capitalism is going to cause Kessler syndrome. Like remember when some artist sent a discoball up into low orbit without telling space agencies or most importantly, hobbyist astronomers and legit astronomers about it?

Hope that dude got a relatively painless death.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

if there isn't a slipped in dong somewhere, the French are dead to me

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

We don't know what caused it yet.

This. I live in Pittsburgh and a construction crew managed to set a concrete and steel bridge on fire and it nearly collapsed. poo poo happens.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1117845462617415680

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Last time I was Europe I visited the restoration of a church/cathedral. I think it might have been the Old Kirk in Amsterdam?

I remember reading that they digitally scanned the entire thing to the point that they could reproduce 1:1 textures on a 3D model.

You still lose the unknowables though, the stuff that gets lost in time. Like the Viking graffiti in the Hagia Sophia that was found not too long ago.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

if there isn't a slipped in dong somewhere, the French are dead to me

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Which makes it even more amazing it lasted this long, survived English invasions, two world wars, Nazi occupation, and like a half dozen revolutions and street battles.

Props to the original architects and engineers.

When the Nazis got pushed out of Paris, Hitler ordered the general in charge to demolish the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame on on the way out and he refused

So it was a near-run thing, as they say.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

As a series of Google©™® Photo©™® Spheres©™®

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Pretty sure HA was referring to physical recreations of anything lost.

I saw a lot of those in Korea since Japan in WW2 basically razed everything even remotely approaching historic significance. When well done you'd never know, and for something like Notre Dame it will be exceptionally well done.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Generic American posted:

Literally beyond parody

This is probably the single-most tempting target existing in space and if someone doesn't hack it to goatse the entire planet I've officially lost faith in humanity.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1117856263218421762

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shifty Pony posted:

Pretty sure HA was referring to physical recreations of anything lost.

I saw a lot of those in Korea since Japan in WW2 basically razed everything even remotely approaching historic significance. When well done you'd never know, and for something like Notre Dame it will be exceptionally well done.

is there actually a point in rebuilding the cathedral if enough of it is a pile of charcoal, glass shards, and rocks

aside from the tourism value, after a certain point it just makes more economic sense to just bulldoze the remains and build something more useful to modern society

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

In other news the MAGAbomber is in front of a judge arguing that he didn't really mean to plead guilty.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1117856575438245889?s=19