Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I chilled and bought a skateboard

Edit: old man snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

do you drink half-and-half yet? how do you feel about peanut brittle?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Sounds like old Dutch people are boring lol

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Quick question to HK goons: I read recently that when going to Hong Kong you should bring and carry around cash, as a lot of cafes, small restaurants and taxis don't accept cards or "Apple Pay" (who the gently caress uses Apple Pay?). This was an article written 4/10/2019.

So uh... does HK not use WeChat Pay/Alipay? Most of the traveling I did in China I felt like cash was wasted because literally even the street vendors had one or both of those set up.

I guess this article is written for westerners visiting Hong Kong in which case getting WeChat/Alipay set up is a hassle, I just wanted to double-check and make sure.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
WeChat Pay/Alipay is very common in places that cater to mainland tourists but is not much used by Hong Kongers. I used Samsung Pay at convenience stores, but just your regular old Visa card is widely accepted. You will need cash if you want to go to like an old school cha chan ting though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
You also need cash to recharge subway card in China.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
What are the best places to look for housing in HK? Somebody posted GoHome.com.hk and that was helpful. Any others? Seems like craigslist is exclusively realtor spam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gotta find the ghost realtors so you can get a low rent ghost apartment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloodnose posted:

WeChat Pay/Alipay is very common in places that cater to mainland tourists but is not much used by Hong Kongers. I used Samsung Pay at convenience stores, but just your regular old Visa card is widely accepted. You will need cash if you want to go to like an old school cha chan ting though.

You need either a mainland ID linked to your Alipay/WeChat or you need a Hong Kong based account to use them in Hong Kong though. If you were using it in China and you’re not mainland Chinese, it will not work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tino posted:

Probably depends on the city but you do not need cash to use the automatic recharge machines in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Nanjing at least

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Probably depends on the city but you do not need cash to use the automatic recharge machines in Shenzhen, Guangzhou, and Nanjing at least

Yeah every city I've been in has wechat/alipay options to recharge cards.

Now in Shanghai I have the Apple Wallet version of the card and I can have it auto fill when it gets below a certain number.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

tino posted:

Really? This has to be by city then, I recharge mine with wechat and you can use alipay without even having a subway card to pay.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BrainDance posted:

Really? This has to be by city then, I recharge mine with wechat and you can use alipay without even having a subway card to pay.

Shenzhen is the same but you gotta use WeChat or UnionPay contactless instead of Alipay. Nanchang and Nanjing both let you use Alipay and UnionPay contactless directly but not WeChat.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I'm pretty sure you need cash for the recharge machines in beijing

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
In Xi'an only locals with Chinese ID card numbers can use Alipay for metro, but we are allowed to use WeChat + Xiaomi NFC bands and recharge through WeChat.

In summary, China is a land of contrastsdictions.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trammel posted:

In Xi'an only locals with Chinese ID card numbers can use Alipay for metro, but we are allowed to use WeChat + Xiaomi NFC bands and recharge through WeChat.

In summary, China is a land of contrastsdictions.

actually to label China as anything makes you a sinophile, you can’t sum up china with simply one word. Reeks of orientalism imo

unless you have met every single Chinese person on earth and coded every interaction, to talk about China as a single entity is incredibly offensive

edit: #wokeposting from downtown San Francisco lol

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 16, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We were in HK a couple weeks ago

I would say 80-95% of the shops we were in took visa/mastercard without issue

Restaurants was about 60% would take visa/mastercard but we ate a lot of "street food" and local places

You need an octopus card to get around the city; all the shops in the underground/metro take octopus card which covers about 99% of your on the go eats

Circle K/7-11, if you depend on those shops while traveling (I walk a lot when traveling, end up buying a fair number of candy bars and red bulls, etc), all take octopus cards

Between the two of us we probably went through $300 in cash in five days/four nights, maybe $80 of that was spent putting money on our octopus cards

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm pretty sure you need cash for the recharge machines in beijing

lmao typical beijing still behind circa-2014 chengdu

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

We were in HK a couple weeks ago

I would say 80-95% of the shops we were in took visa/mastercard without issue

Restaurants was about 60% would take visa/mastercard but we ate a lot of "street food" and local places

You need an octopus card to get around the city; all the shops in the underground/metro take octopus card which covers about 99% of your on the go eats

Circle K/7-11, if you depend on those shops while traveling (I walk a lot when traveling, end up buying a fair number of candy bars and red bulls, etc), all take octopus cards

Between the two of us we probably went through $300 in cash in five days/four nights, maybe $80 of that was spent putting money on our octopus cards

Hong Kong is not china :qq:

Magna Kaser posted:

lmao typical beijing still behind circa-2014 chengdu

I had to pay then newspaper vendor extra money to exchange for some cash

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Vernacular posted:

What are the best places to look for housing in HK? Somebody posted GoHome.com.hk and that was helpful. Any others? Seems like craigslist is exclusively realtor spam.

Squarefoot is a popular site

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

Squarefoot is a popular site

is it because the name is the biggest apartment you can find in Hong Kong!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Hong Kong is not china :qq:

I had to pay then newspaper vendor extra money to exchange for some cash

So when you told me you could only recharge metro cards at newspaper stands you were lying and you meant you didn’t have cash on you

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Thanks all for the HK cash/card/app pay info. In Kunming I believe it was cash-only for recharging bus/subway cards, but that was a year ago so they may have updated it.

Of course we had all of two lines so it didn't matter so much.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

is it because the name is the biggest apartment you can find in Hong Kong!

Good one :golfclap:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

sincx posted:

I'm based in the US and travel to Asia for work once in a while. Always been that way.

Recently I've been looking for jobs and a recruiter for a large Taiwanese company that manufactures semiconductors reached out. The position is almost a perfect match for my skills and interests. Unfortunately the job is at their headquarters in Hsinchu, and the pay is below US standards (because the job is in Hsinchu).

If I was 5 years younger, I might be open to it. Loved Best China every time I visited.

Alas, I'm too old and have too many things tying me down to spend a few years overseas now.

</end rant>

follow yr heart mate !!!!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Do it

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Steal the Taiwanese semiconductor secrets and make the offering to the Pooh. You will be rewarded handsomely with high pay.

tino fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 17, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hsinchu is one of the nicer places to live in Taiwan. Taiwanese people want to be here.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I'm gonna move to Taiwan we could be friends

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm gonna move to Taiwan we could be friends

When

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Whenever the hell I want :mufasa:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I wonder what my life would be like if I moved to Taiwan.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bloodnose posted:

I wonder what my life would be like if I moved to Taiwan.

Better

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

More like terrible because I wouldn’t be there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

More like terrible because I wouldn’t be there

That doesn’t make sense, you’re already not in Nevada

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

That doesn’t make sense, you’re already not in Nevada

lol

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’m also liable to move to Taiwan but I sure as hell hope I can swing some remote work because lol at loving Taiwanese salaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Calm down, mr Rockefeller