Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Well, not since she got that terrible infection from going back to front.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Angry_Ed posted:

Also wait, Ben Murphy as Riker? Like...Riding with Death Ben Murphy?

The Enterprise is not nearly mellow enough for Ben Murphy and being mellow is what Ben Murphy is all about

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So I decided I’m going to attempt a rewatch of TNG. I have only watched through it entirely once, with a handful of episodes I’ve rewatched a few times. Just finished up the Yar Fights A Lady To The Death episode and I forgot how janky and lovely the first season looked. And Frakes looks so young and fresh. I look forward to everything until the loving Borg shows up and I may just outright skip the season 2 finale.

How much further down the timeline is DS9? Ferengi still are a mystery to the Federation in S1E5 and in DS9 they seem pretty much fully assimilated into the Federation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DS9 premiered halfway through TNG season 6.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Windows 98 posted:

So I decided I’m going to attempt a rewatch of TNG. I have only watched through it entirely once, with a handful of episodes I’ve rewatched a few times. Just finished up the Yar Fights A Lady To The Death episode and I forgot how janky and lovely the first season looked. And Frakes looks so young and fresh. I look forward to everything until the loving Borg shows up and I may just outright skip the season 2 finale.

How much further down the timeline is DS9? Ferengi still are a mystery to the Federation in S1E5 and in DS9 they seem pretty much fully assimilated into the Federation.

DS9 season 1 takes place concurrently with TNG season 6.

Yeah the whole Ferengi thing is a bit of a continuity snarl. They largely abandoned the idea of the Ferengi being a mysterious adversary by S2 of TNG.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Lmao Quark over here causing trouble in TNG

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He's quoting Gene Roddenberry, who was talking about giving Majel a terrible infection because he raw-dogged her during their honeymoon in Japan, going from back to front.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

He's quoting Gene Roddenberry, who was talking about giving Majel a terrible infection because he raw-dogged her during their honeymoon in Japan, going from back to front.

Told completely unprompted to a production staffer, IIRC

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Told completely unprompted to a production staffer, IIRC

Bob Justman, I think.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've said it before, I think, but man alive do I love how the editor collated all the stories of Gene in 50 Year Mission.

Person A: Gene was an rear end in a top hat.

Person B: Gene was an rear end in a top hat.

Person C: Gene was an rear end in a top hat.

Person A: Gene was an rear end in a top hat, kee-rist

Gene's Son / Random Gene Apologist: I don't know why everyone thinks Gene was an rear end in a top hat, he pet my dog that one time and didn't spend a half hour talking about a Dog Race that can be treated like a Dog, they love it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MisterBibs posted:

I've said it before, I think, but man alive do I love how the editor collated all the stories of Gene in 50 Year Mission.

Person A: Gene was an rear end in a top hat.

Person B: Gene was an rear end in a top hat.

Person C: Gene was an rear end in a top hat.

Person A: Gene was an rear end in a top hat, kee-rist

Gene's Son / Random Gene Apologist: I don't know why everyone thinks Gene was an rear end in a top hat, he pet my dog that one time and didn't spend a half hour talking about a Dog Race that can be treated like a Dog, they love it.

Don't forget Susan Sackett.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Bob Justman, I think.

Ande Richardson recounts the anecdote in Fifty-Year Mission, although it wouldn't shock me if Roddenberry had told Justman at some point as well.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It was printed on his business card

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ande Richardson recounts the anecdote in Fifty-Year Mission, although it wouldn't shock me if Roddenberry had told Justman at some point as well.

Oh, that's right, Coon's assistant (who was referred to around the offices as "Coon's coon"). :barf:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My recollection is that someone - can't remember if it was Gerrold or Justman - said she would answer the phone with that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Did she have a pet raccoon?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

The first time I heard about this, I misunderstood it as Roddenberry roping a random studio underling into informing Majel that Gene had given her an infection, which was a slightly more horrifying idea.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Oh, that's right, Coon's assistant (who was referred to around the offices as "Coon's coon"). :barf:
I think you are misremembering that. She had a pretty good sense of humor and liked to pick up the phone and say that to catch people on the phone off guard.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I really want to get into a star trek video game but Star Trek Online is the best most recent one and its a horrible pile of poo where all I did for an hour was shoot klinks and borgs. What the poo poo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I really want to get into a star trek video game but Star Trek Online is the best most recent one and its a horrible pile of poo where all I did for an hour was shoot klinks and borgs. What the poo poo

Get Stellaris and the Star Trek: New Horizons total conversion mod https://stellaris.paradoxwikis.com/ST_NewHorizons

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I wish New Horizons wasn’t such a buggy piece of poo poo because Stellaris is basically crying out for such a mod

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

ST games have been almost non-existent since Activision lost the ST license and the CBS/Viacom split happened

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

there's an area where you can shoot cyborg dinosaurs too

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's been like, what, 25 years since someone made a Star Trek game that wasn't a shooter or a space combat simulator? Star Trek is much more suited to the adventure game genre. I would say a Telltale game but lol.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

ST games have been almost non-existent since Activision lost the ST license and the CBS/Viacom split happened

IMO though New Horizons, if it worked perfectly, would be the ultimate ST game, and considering the scope and effort involved in making those kinds of games, I can kind of understand why nobody's willing to commit to it. Star Wars games are easier because you can always fall back on "action game where you have magic powers" or "pure space combat" but neither of those would really work for ST. It really would have to be either like a Bridge Command-type game (but there's only so much you can really do with that concept), or a full-fledged galactic-scale Space Diplomacy game like Stellaris.

ashpanash posted:

It's been like, what, 25 years since someone made a Star Trek game that wasn't a shooter or a space combat simulator? Star Trek is much more suited to the adventure game genre. I would say a Telltale game but lol.

This could work too but RIP Lucasarts, Sierra, and Telltale :(

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah, sometimes missions go on a little too long and become by-rote, which is a problem with all MMORPGs. During mission replays, I'd like to be able to skip parts of missions and fast-forward to a mission's segments that are the most original, because they have a lot of original stuff like "figure out a logic puzzle with an abandoned shuttle's on-board computers, then escape from an arena" sandwiched between lengthy space battles.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 16, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

skasion posted:

I wish New Horizons wasn’t such a buggy piece of poo poo because Stellaris is basically crying out for such a mod

I haven't really noticed bugs but it's really hard to play just because Stellaris can't handle the amount of poo poo in that mod, it takes forever to get anything done after a few decades of running the simulation and gets boring.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ashpanash posted:

Just do a DS9 version of ST25A/Judgment Rites.

EDIT: also TNG. I know they already got an adventure game with The Final Unity but it's kind of tedious compared to the TOS adventure games.

double edit: OKAY FINE i guess we could do Voyager too.

t-t-triple edit: Discovery can get the Telltale treatment.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 16, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Planetary Union Network podcast (Orville Fan Podcast) scored an interview with Jonathan Frakes this week. Audio quality is bad.

Funny they got one before any of the star trek podcasts

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IMO though New Horizons, if it worked perfectly, would be the ultimate ST game, and considering the scope and effort involved in making those kinds of games, I can kind of understand why nobody's willing to commit to it.

I wish they'd just commit to it like they did back in the old days and take an existing good game and slap a star trek total conversion on top of it, like an official version of New Horizons.

ashpanash posted:

Yeah I always though back before telltale went to crap that that a Telltale Star Trek game could've been great fun.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 16, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Planetary Union Network podcast (Orville Fan Podcast) scored an interview with Jonathan Frakes this week. Audio quality is bad.

Funny they got one before any of the star trek podcasts

Even Frakes knows that Orville is more of a Trek show than Disco :haw:

It's probably because he directed last week's Orville, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Even Frakes knows that Orville is more of a Trek show than Disco :haw:

It's probably because he directed last week's Orville, though.

Which apart from being directed by him, had Marina Sirtis, Tony Todd, Murray F Abraham, Ted Danson, and Victor Garber

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Which apart from being directed by him, had Marina Sirtis, Tony Todd, Murray F Abraham, Ted Danson, and Victor Garber

Yeah it owned. That show is really some TNG-quality stuff and I love it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I don't remember any TNG episodes featuring Dolly Parton or Billy Joel as key story elements.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't remember any TNG episodes featuring Dolly Parton or Billy Joel as key story elements.

I can't think of any episodes featuring them but TNG was advertised with a Billy Joel parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDk3eaeao8E

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

Their loss

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Go to gog.com and grab the 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites games.

And if you can track down a copy, Klingon Academy is baller.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Star Trek: Bridge Commander has held up decently.

It's spiritual successor Bridge Crew is supposed to be a lot of fun though if you can't handle the oldness.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Bridge commander's single player campaign was a little boring and lovely but the combat is an absolute blast. Flying a Galaxy class is all about positioning and keeping your weak/recharging shields away from oncoming fire while keeping your freshly charged phaser banks trained on the enemy. Flying a nimble Bird of Prey is all about precision strikes against the enemy's blind spots. Plus I'm sure you can still get just about any Trek ship you want through mods, including TOS era movie ships if Klingon Academy is too old and low fidelity for your standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Bridge commander's single player campaign was a little boring and lovely but the combat is an absolute blast. Flying a Galaxy class is all about positioning and keeping your weak/recharging shields away from oncoming fire while keeping your freshly charged phaser banks trained on the enemy. Flying a nimble Bird of Prey is all about precision strikes against the enemy's blind spots. Plus I'm sure you can still get just about any Trek ship you want through mods, including TOS era movie ships if Klingon Academy is too old and low fidelity for your standards.

I never played Bridge Commander, was it more than just a Star Trek flight sim? I feel like an X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter type game wouldn't really work that well in the ST universe. Less because it wouldn't be fun and more because I feel like that's not really what Star Trek is all about.