Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

RaySmuckles posted:

i like to think of the trilogy as a spiral

the first film is a half of a perfect looking circle. that's awesome, a perfect circle! how satisfying!

then the second film subverts your expectations because its not a circle at all anymore! in fact its something different! but its concluded under the starting point of the circle, a tragic unfulfillment of the original sensation, leaving you wanting. the circle is ruined, but now its something more.

the third film is boring at first because now its just a smaller half-circle that you know isn't going to end up a circle, but the conclusion is great because it comes to the terminal point of the spiral, leaving a satisfying, unique creation

:thunk:

that was a stupid post. i'm going to bed

have I got the site for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Regarding Lucas, The phantom menace is at least tightly edited and fun bad rather than boring bad. Kids like it. That's more than many would say about the new trilogy

yeah aint nothin more fun than going to the senate floor to talk about trade regulations and electing a new chancellor

kids love watching an old man in a robe haggle with a flying jewish stereotype, how fun!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watto has a brooklyn accent, loves gambling, is honest in business to his own detriment, runs a locally respected autoparts business, and loves NASCAAR which are all obviously jewish stereotypes as we all know

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Watto has a brooklyn accent, loves gambling, is honest in business to his own detriment, runs a locally respected autoparts business, and loves NASCAAR which are all obviously jewish stereotypes as we all know

What about the trunk and the yarmulke?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You mean his pith helmet looking hat that looks nothing like a yarmulke? Look up his hat again.

Also if all it takes having a trunk to be a jewish stereotype is babar a jewish stereotype?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you think watto was bad just wait till you see Jar Jar Binks!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

You mean his pith helmet looking hat that looks nothing like a yarmulke? Look up his hat again.

Also if all it takes having a trunk to be a jewish stereotype is babar a jewish stereotype?

Pretty sure Babar is Indian.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Barudak posted:

watto hits nearly all of the classical antisemitic stereotypes, what with the long hook nose, being obsessed with money, and running the local slave trade, among other things. a bunch of rabbis even said as much when it came out, everyone knew he was a weird racist stereotype right alongside the trade league leaders with those hosed up fake asian accents.

but sure dude you go ahead believing that Brooklyn isn't known for having a huge Jewish population lol

okay I'm playing into things on purpose here cause it's fun but come on you write this right after you said that you think Phantom Menace is better than A New Hope? if you really wanna shitpost then you've gotta be more subtle

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Pretty sure Babar is Indian.

So why arent you claiming watto is indian?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

So why arent you claiming watto is indian?

Cuz he’s not an anthropomorphic Indian elephant, idiot.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Join us as we celebrate the 20th anniversary of Online People doggedly rationalizing awful racial caricatures in The Phantom Menace.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
You know what they should have done instead of releasing the prequel trilogy in order from Episode I, II and III, they should have released it III, II, I and had episode I contain a huge revelation that totally changes the tone or context of the series if viewed in episode order.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Cuz he’s not an anthropomorphic Indian elephant, idiot.

Both have trunks, hats and profit from a corrupt system of inhuman exploitation for their own benefit. Both clearly the same.

I havent worked out the flying part, but I also havent hunted every indian elephant yet to prove they all cant fly so Ill get back to you on that

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Wait I thought jedis were supposed to be Jewish.
Jedaism, Judaism...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait I thought jedis were supposed to be Jewish.
Jedaism, Judaism...

It would explain the stylized priestly breastplate Vader wears...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Applewhite posted:

It would explain the stylized priestly breastplate Vader wears...

And he's definitely circumcised!

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
It was explained in great length in CineD that there are no racial caricatures in TPM. Now if you disagree, I suggest you go to one of the Star Wars threads there to discuss it.

SMG hasn't been fed in a while.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

oh well if cined says that it's not then it is definitely a racist caricature

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

They make very long posts about movies in cined and are much smarter than me, using terms like dialectical and ontological to describe movies where pro wrestlers crack fart and poop jokes with giant fighting robots

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkJets posted:

watto hits nearly all of the classical antisemitic stereotypes, what with the long hook nose, being obsessed with money, and running the local slave trade, among other things. a bunch of rabbis even said as much when it came out, everyone knew he was a weird racist stereotype right alongside the trade league leaders with those hosed up fake asian accents.

but sure dude you go ahead believing that Brooklyn isn't known for having a huge Jewish population lol

okay I'm playing into things on purpose here cause it's fun but come on you write this right after you said that you think Phantom Menace is better than A New Hope? if you really wanna shitpost then you've gotta be more subtle

Wait, being a slave trader is a jewish stereotype?

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Jesus posted:

It was explained in great length in CineD that there are no racial caricatures in TPM. Now if you disagree, I suggest you go to one of the Star Wars threads there to discuss it.

SMG hasn't been fed in a while.

CineD is what happens when you let a joke get out of hand. But instead of "ironic" racism turning into actual racism, it's ironic bad film criticism turning into actual bad film criticism

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Watto wasn't actually real he was just a cgi cartoon.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

star war beta max posted:

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
my name is Watto ; I love to get blotto

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I hope I can buy an alcoholic drink served in a branded 55 cent piece of glass to cherish this occasion.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

You know what they should have done instead of releasing the prequel trilogy in order from Episode I, II and III, they should have released it III, II, I and had episode I contain a huge revelation that totally changes the tone or context of the series if viewed in episode order.

I too wish those movies were “good” or “interesting” instead of “loving trash”

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

star war beta max posted:

hosed up if true.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is this cartoon a Jew? The answer may shock you!

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Watto is actually a very, very offensive stereotype of japanese and inuit people because he can fly and plays dice.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Hardawn posted:

I hope I can buy an alcoholic drink served in a branded 55 cent piece of glass to cherish this occasion.

Yeah I’m also going to see this movie at Alamo Drafthouse

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

for a franchise that's heavily informed by eastern mythology it's pretty cool how in Star wars immortality is good and cool instead of a perversion of the natural order

kalel fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 16, 2019

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mickey mouse: (digging up Carrie fishers corpse) sorry, I don't remember the right to death being in your contract, huh-huh!

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Bonaventure posted:

my name is Watto ; I love to get blotto

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Mickey mouse: (digging up Carrie fishers corpse) sorry, I don't remember the right to death being in your contract, huh-huh!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Barudak posted:

Watto has a brooklyn accent...

Is this one of those things where there's also another city called Brooklyn in the middle east?

Cause his accent being from Brooklyn, NY? Nah. Sorry about your accent deafness.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is this one of those things where there's also another city called Brooklyn in the middle east?

Cause his accent being from Brooklyn, NY? Nah. Sorry about your accent deafness.

Watto: Ey you see the Mets game last night? Fuckin Mets, man. Love the Mets baby, go Mets.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

QuarkJets posted:

yeah aint nothin more fun than going to the senate floor to talk about trade regulations and electing a new chancellor

kids love watching an old man in a robe haggle with a flying jewish stereotype, how fun!

Counterexample are the die hard prequel fans who must defend them from all criticism and now claim that everyone loved the prequels until rlm changed people's minds single handedly.

We have yet to see how kids who are watching the st right now will turn out, if they'll even remember the movies. I suspect not. The tv tropes page writing of tlj only really appeals to adults who never really liked star wars that much and thought something "different" was interesting.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Remember when that space camel cuts a fart right in jar jar's face?

I feel like george's true vision of star wars wasn't realized until that very moment.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's obviously a Queens accent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvGKfaO3os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Linux Pirate posted:

Remember when that space camel cuts a fart right in jar jar's face?

I feel like george's true vision of star wars wasn't realized until that very moment.

It cuts a fart, and yet there is no visible butthole.

We were cheated. Cheated of one ruby red starfruit CGI butthole.