Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

snugglz posted:

my ‘88 Prelude has this... the 4WS steered the rear wheels in parallel with the front for the first few degrees of turn-in, THEN changed to steer the wheels opposite the fronts for tighter turning radius. I didn’t realize this till swapping the tires one day and was mesmerized by the movement

I was installing a stereo in one of those many years ago, and after noticing the 4WS badge, sat for a few minutes spinning the wheel back and forth, hanging out of the door watching the rear wheel do it's thing. So, yeah. Mesmerizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I can't remember which car it was but something recent has that exact thing for cruising on the freeways, it supposedly makes changing lanes smoother...

'91-'92 Galant VR4 had it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Darchangel posted:

I was installing a stereo in one of those many years ago, and after noticing the 4WS badge, sat for a few minutes spinning the wheel back and forth, hanging out of the door watching the rear wheel do it's thing. So, yeah. Mesmerizing.

That's so clever, but does the geometry gently caress with vehicle stability in emergencies, or does it help?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MikeyTsi posted:

'91-'92 Galant VR4 had it.

Late 80s Mazda 626 too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Four-wheel steering is getting quite common in big German luxobarges. The rears turn the opposite way at low speed to improve turning ability, and with the front wheels at high speed to improve stability.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

cursedshitbox posted:

To bless the 4 threads holding the sparkplugs in.

This happened to the F150 I briefly owned. While on a beach vacation it blew out a plug. Driving to the shop sounded like I was towing a large, running air compressor.
To top it off, the rental place only had a single car left for my beach vacation - a 1995 Crown Vic in black. It actually did pretty well on the beach but people scattered whenever they first saw that thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wasabi the J posted:

That's so clever, but does the geometry gently caress with vehicle stability in emergencies, or does it help?

It helps a lot, so long as you're at least a little bit used to the car.

From wikipedia:

quote:

In 1987, Road & Track published a test summary that shows the 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4WS outperforming every car of that year on the slalom, with a speed of 65.5 mph (105.4 km/h), even besting exotics such as Porsche and Ferrari. For reference, the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette C4 took the same course at 64.9 mph (104.4 km/h).

Beating Porsche and Ferrari in a slalom? That's loving impressive.

jamal posted:

I think the first honda prelude 4ws was a mechanical linkage? And it did something like turn the wheels the same direction at small steering angles and then the opposite once you reached a certain point.

Yeah, on the 3rd gen Prelude. I've been in one (didn't get to drive it though), it was really creepy how goddamn well that car handled being tossed around tight turns at stupid speeds. Friend was test driving it, but it wound up being a rust bucket. Said friend had a non-4WS 3rd gen before and missed it (hence the test drive), and I got to ride in that one plenty as well. it was a night and day difference.

Good luck finding parts today.

4th gen got electronic 4WS, but again, good luck finding parts. Or for that matter, finding a running Prelude in general these days, they've become unicorns. I think I see more 3rd gens than anything else on the road now. I would think the 3rd gen 4WS systems hold up better since it was purely mechanical; most people disabled the electronic 4WS on the 4th gen once they discovered how hard it was to find parts.

The mural is poo poo, but I kinda miss well done murals on truck tailgates.

.... showing my age a bit I guess, but I've always wanted to own an extended cab slammed Nissan Hardbody with a mural on the tailgate, with the entire space behind the seat taken up by enough decibels to pop every eardrum within a mile.

It helps that GF's first vehicle was a hardbody (first manual I ever drove), and she really wants one again... and absolutely loving HATES lowered trucks (even stock ride height is too low for her on a lot of trucks). :haw: She thinks every truck should be lifted. So the first thing I'm gonna do when I win the lotto is throw a hardbody on hydraulics and daytons. :v: (then LS swap it with glasspacks... then some House of Kolor assistance for the body... then find an old school artist to do a proper mural)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 12, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was watching some classic canadian rap and i spotted something.

A Nissan Murano Convertible.

4 years before Nissan even showed their concept.

Also,

quote:

Chuggo has released only one official music video, for the opening track on his first album, "Ah C'mon."[4] The video was posted on YouTube on June 11, 2006, but was relatively unknown. Indie rock forum Hipinion ostensibly began the video's ascent to popularity before it ultimately garnered widespread attention when it was featured on SomethingAwful during April 2008.

ah, c'mon fuckin guy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That just looks like they are poorly screened in, not a convertible.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That just looks like they are poorly screened in, not a convertible.

I mean, it's Chuggo so yeah it's this.

AHHH, CMON gently caress A GUY

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The things you see parked at Walmart.

I'm curious what the badge is? Looks like some bastardized BMW 8 series.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

This almost works, like it stops just short of being so bad it's good. If only it didn't look like it was snapping in half...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I think the major fault I see is it probably could use some more tail lights.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the major fault I see is it probably could use some more tail lights.

And why such huge tires?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Mister Kingdom posted:

And why such huge tires?

Yes. I'm not one to comment on personal choices of rims/tires. It is their prerogative. As I get older I think different strokes for different folks.

With that said, having dual fuel tanks should have an input on having a different set of tires on it given the GVWR of this vehicle's capacity. They obviously need to kick the ply count up a notch.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
look at that front plate tho 😅

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
did someone say chuggo?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
:smuggo:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

This almost works, like it stops just short of being so bad it's good. If only it didn't look like it was snapping in half...

It looks like a real life Go-bot

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
re: 4WS and boomers

https://youtu.be/wfOZ-uajfNE

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i want my friend to steer the rear like a firetruck before i ever consider the 4ws gimmick

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Thief posted:

i want my friend to steer the rear like a firetruck before i ever consider the 4ws gimmick

Either your have better friends than me or a great sense of adventure.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

glyph posted:

My first car was a [hand me down] Plymouth voyager. The shifter on mine was very similar, boot and all.

Here is a pic of the shifter placement on he minivans- SUPER low. Mine was silver, with shiny, hot as the surface of the sun in summer, vinyl seats, and just as stripped- it had no AC, power anything, TACH, cupholder, the front seats didn’t recline, there wasn’t a seek function on the radio only head unit... it only had the three seater bench in the second row, there wasn’t a third row in ours.

I absolutely hated it at the time (mid- late 90s), but I’d love to have it now.

Gotta bring all the way back to this, because I find it difficult to believe that there was another young person in the late 90s who had my van. But it's true - you know the ways of suffering like I did.

Best parts - max speed of 35 up any given hill, having to rebuild the carb 3 times, and passing out in the back after drunken high school parties. Also, the little shelf next to the console is where I bolted in a boom box after the radio died.

Mine was brown with fake woodgrain.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc8nsWwO8fU

Not 100% certain, does it wrap around to being wrong thread? It is a PT cruiser

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Trambopaline posted:

Not wrong thread, PT cruiser

Just needed to fix up your grammar and punctuation there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Imagine wasting time, effort and money on a PT Cruiser without realising that at the end of it all you'll still have a PT Cruiser.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Imagine wasting time, effort and money on a PT Cruiser without realising that at the end of it all you'll still have a PT Cruiser.

Yeah, chrysler isn't known for making good decisions. with money.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Gotta bring all the way back to this, because I find it difficult to believe that there was another young person in the late 90s who had my van. But it's true - you know the ways of suffering like I did.

Best parts - max speed of 35 up any given hill, having to rebuild the carb 3 times, and passing out in the back after drunken high school parties. Also, the little shelf next to the console is where I bolted in a boom box after the radio died.

Mine was brown with fake woodgrain.

My Voyager was a 94 automatic. Called it the Man Van. Pretty sure I was the only minivan in the lot when I took it off to college. Some days I miss that thing. I assume this indicates brain damage.

Edit: or maybe it's the wipers with more than three settings. :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

more like PT Loser lmao gottem

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

more like PT Loser lmao gottem

Don't sign your posts.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I was gonna say right thread till those stripes changed colors. I don't care if its on a pt cruiser, that poo poo owns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if you didn't have to pay for it?

A Free T Cruiser if you will.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Rhyno posted:

What if you didn't have to pay for it?

A Free T Cruiser if you will.

You (typically) don't have to pay for genital warts either. Doesn't make you happy to get them...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fair point. Hell, there are things I'd pay not to get.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

They were so close.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Do people still unironically think color-shift paint is cool and looks good? poo poo is nineties as all hell

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Un chien andalou posted:

Do people still unironically think color-shift paint is cool and looks good? poo poo is nineties as all hell

Whoa, get a load of this jabroni!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Un chien andalou posted:

Ford thought so for their Mustang, thinking 95 or so. Mystique purple or something. Probably was a one off color on the SN95 Cobra.*

* No, most of my random memories are not googled.