Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Alhazred posted:

We don't really know why magic is returning though.

It’s implied in the books that it’s the comet. but that’s never brought up in the show sooo....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The warlock guy says straight up that magic is returning because of the Dragons being born

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Basically Martin has written himself into a quagmire around an entirely new set of characters revolving around the Golden Company in the books, whereas in the show they barely matter/don't exist. Related to that, the show basically clown-car'd the entire Dorne plot into "ok whatever they're all dead now" while that shows no signs of slowing down in the books either.

I think this is more the cause of the delay than Martin not working on the books. It lines up with what he's said about the plan for a 5-year time jump in the narrative that he couldn't make work.

Like, you can look at the crazy videos by Preston Jacobs, and a lot of them are based on "Well, this character/house/faction should be focusing on this goal, but instead they're working against it. That means there must be a conspiracy at work!" But the real reason tertiary characters sometimes don't act the way they should is the books have sprawled beyond Martin's control.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mywhatacleanturtle posted:

It’s implied in the books that it’s the comet. but that’s never brought up in the show sooo....

That appears in the show; but its significance is vague. Osha claims it’s about dragons.

Red fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 16, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Let's be fair that would be dumb as

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

The warlock guy says straight up that magic is returning because of the Dragons being born

He says the dragons make him stronger, but the white walkers were moving south years before they were hatched. Something also caused them to hatch after being fossils for hundreds of years, and made Daenerys the fulfillment of the family prophecy about being fireproof (although maybe she wasn’t fireproof until the dragons were ready to hatch).

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
This first time she is introduced they mention that she likes to take baths in near boiling water, so I assume she was born that way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

precision posted:

Comets being associated with bad omens and magic is a pretty common fantasy/historically real panicky thing

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He says the dragons make him stronger, but the white walkers were moving south years before they were hatched. Something also caused them to hatch after being fossils for hundreds of years, and made Daenerys the fulfillment of the family prophecy about being fireproof (although maybe she wasn’t fireproof until the dragons were ready to hatch).

I imagine it's entirely possible we'll see Bran exposition dumb all of this but I think ultimately the answer is 'this is the time of destiny'. Rhaegar reads a bunch of books and decides that he's living in the time of prophecy. Then something makes him realise that it's his children's generation specifically that will live in the time of prophecy. The dragons come first, then the comet shows up.

Causality is problematic because it's been established that the main players on both 'magical sides' have the ability to see through time and space and even do a bit of meddling. Why is the Night King marching south? Because he knows he's going to be able to get a dragon and breach the wall.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Between star wars, marvel, game of thrones, and every other fantasy IP, I am all the way fed up with folks excusing lazy writing or lovely cinematography and just accepting whatever bullshit they're spoon fed as-is with zero thought.

Using your brain is important and you're bad at consuming media.

Also what is it about CinemaSins that gets some people so extremely butthurt? Its a comedy youtube series. Its for fun. Its not meant to be a critical dissertation. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Do you think MST3K is terrible too? No sense of humor is a real problem.

E: I can't believe this has to be said but different people are bothered by different things, and a TV forum thread is a place to discuss those things. If you're looking for the millions of the people of the internet to all stop and agree that X show is perfect, you're in for a lifetime of disappointment and you really don't get what art is. We get so few big-budget fantasy series on the level of GOT, its only natural people are going to lament it not being one thing or another that they'd prefer. Deal with it man.

Okay, while I agree with some of your other posts, the irony here is a bit much. CinemaSins is the epitome of "bad at consuming media" and criticism without using one's brain, being based on superficial, thoughtless once-overs of movies (the scripts are written as the movie is being watched, and apparently go unedited given how often an early complaint is contradicted or invalidated by later events in the movie, or the inverse where they complain that the movie didn't do something it actually already did (which they might have also complained about even!), etc), not knowing anything about... Anything (complaining about Moana "making up" stuff that was actually based on real Polynesian myth, complaining about there still being dirtiness and poverty in Blade Runner because apparently they don't understand the central concept of cyberpunk), and sometimes outright lying (cutting clips so they can complain that a film doesn't do a thing it did literally seconds before the edited clip).

People can enjoy it if they want; I'm a fan of a lot of "bad" media myself, Game of Thrones arguably included. But complaining about lazy writing and people accepting things with zero thought, then defending CinemaSins in the same post, is kind of ridiculous. Is CinemaSins too lovely to criticize or something? Are you just taking positions to be contrary even if they contradict each other ("stop defending bad writing" vs "don't criticize CinemaSins's bad writing")?

I mean, I said it already, but CinemaSins really is exactly what you're complaining about here; they complain every time a movie exposits at them as if they feel patronized, yet also are so terrible at even the most basic analysis that they miss obvious things and complain about things not being explained. One time (at least) they even complained about exposition, then in that same review complained about something being unexplained... That was literally, explicitly stated in the exposition they made such a big deal about and which they gave it a "sin" for literally minutes prior. They're so perfectly wrong, dishonest, or hypocritical that it almost feels deliberate at times, except then you see everything else they do and realize they're entirely sincere, or at least not trying to be bad.

Really, not trying, or at least not trying to do anything other than shovel out as many videos as they can and pad their runtime with endless nitpicks, even if they have to literally make things up to complain about, is their biggest problem. CinemaSins, more than anything else, is just lazy, both as analysis and as comedy; despite your defense of it, you can actually put some effort into things that are "for fun". It usually makes them a lot better, in fact, while just churning out whatever because you are aiming for quantity over quality is generally regarded poorly.

One nice thing I can say about them, their format does work well for highlighting how lovely things can be and making fun of them for it.

Opferwurst posted:

IRC it was heavily implied that the Maesters were slowly poisoning the dragons and that's why they died out.

Really? Huh. Never read the books, but I actually assumed it was incest. Not even joking; it seemed like a mirror to the Targaryens themselves, with rampant inbreeding resulting in increasingly weak, sickly, and twisted dragons alongside the tangled family tree that eventually produced the Mad King, both getting Habsburg'd into near-extinction.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 16, 2019

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

precision posted:

not really imo

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Roland Jones posted:

Really? Huh. Never read the books, but I actually assumed it was incest. Not even joking; it seemed like a mirror to the Targaryens themselves, with rampant inbreeding resulting in increasingly weak, sickly, and twisted dragons alongside the tangled family tree that eventually produced the Mad King, both getting Habsburg'd into near-extinction.

I think it may have also have had to do with them being penned in. Like how Viserion and Rhaegal are both smaller than Drogon on the show.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Most of the dragons were killed in a Targ vs Targ civil war, fighting other dragons.

A bunch more were killed in the war when Kings Landing rose up, stormed the dragon pit and collapsed it on the dragons there.

After that there was only a few hatchlings and a couple of crippled dragons. Mysteriously all the hatchlings stopped growing, grew sick and died over the next few decades.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

The whole season is just reunions for fans to jerk off to.
And I love it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

LividLiquid posted:

And I love it.

:same:

And if nothing else, this season gave Gwendolyn Christie an excuse to wear this dress:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Dany has been the worst most unbearable character with the worst plot from the beginning

Yeah she has been pretty lame for a long time now, she was an interesting wildcard at best in the beginning and since was wasted dragging her heels at best cause dude wrote himself in a wall with the entire story. He has no idea how to finish all the unnecessary Dany poo poo he wrote himself in circles around because he wasn’t ready to bring out the endgame yet. Westeros and Danyland could almost be 2 completely different series.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah right? The loving comet, lol. I would even be happy if the comet just hit right as the fight starts and blows up the planet. Just end it already.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
It wouldn't surprise me if the problem the people have with the show is exactly the same reason GRRM is having problems finishing the books. The series made its bones being steeped in political intrigue and subverting genre expectations, but having everything build to grand apocalyptic battle with an unknowable and external existential threat is not conducive to either. There is no bargaining, backstabbing, or politicking with the white walkers, so they are boring rear end villains.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol watching s1e1

-Mark Addy headlining
-Tiny Bran
-Tiny Sansa (or normal height Sansa?)
-there are dire wolves in this show??

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 16, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
OTOH the series has kinda always been about Westerosi politics slowly but surely having the veneer of anything but brute force mattering slip away, as more and more the ultimate answer to problems is just war and killing while people who try to find other ways get offed or succumb to the lure of just murdering your problems away. So having it all culminate in an apocalyptic force of unstoppable and relentless violence there's no coming back from feels thematically appropriate.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

fishing with the fam posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the problem the people have with the show is exactly the same reason GRRM is having problems finishing the books. The series made its bones being steeped in political intrigue and subverting genre expectations, but having everything build to grand apocalyptic battle with an unknowable and external existential threat is not conducive to either. There is no bargaining, backstabbing, or politicking with the white walkers, so they are boring rear end villains.

Concur. I think that Gurm is also hamstrung by assuming Westeros doesn't end when his books do which means new powers rising now even if they don't tie into the current conflict. The show can just ignore that poo poo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there still a spinoff series being developed, or has waning enthusiasm for last/this season killed it?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
^^^ You realise how many people are watching this season, right?

Crow Jane posted:

:same:

And if nothing else, this season gave Gwendolyn Christie an excuse to wear this dress:

Looking forward to Gwendolyn Christie's run in the Hunger Games

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

What happened to Ghost?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Is there still a spinoff series being developed, or has waning enthusiasm for last/this season killed it?

Waning enthusiasm?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dazerbeams posted:

What happened to Ghost?

He's hanging out offscreen with Ilyn payne

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Like seriously, there's been one episode and this thread is already 33 pages long

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I mean you say waning enthusiasm, it's still pretty much the most popular show on tv by a wide margin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I figured any spin off attempt would be killed less by lack of enthusiasm and more Rome-style "oh god do you know how much it costs to produce this poo poo."

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

fishing with the fam posted:

the setting would have a lot more legs if the white walkers were not the apocalypse but a sort of more proportional threat such that the common imperative to sustain the nights watch would have to be balanced against the disparate imperatives of the various civil war factions. a good writer could keep that spinning indefinitely.

e: apocalyptic thinking was really prevalent in the medieval era and it motivated a lot of actions. the crusades for example. so it is helpful to have a fantasy analogue. but it's almost always better for it not to be straightforwardly resolved.

Zane fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sydin posted:

I figured any spin off attempt would be killed less by lack of enthusiasm and more Rome-style "oh god do you know how much it costs to produce this poo poo."

How much money does it make though?

Especially since the spinoff could probably drop having cgi dragons and poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'm happy to get closure for the main characters and the big plot from the show.

Are you kidding me? The show characters are a lovely fanfic of an even shittier fanfic someone wrote about the show. You really think Cercei will end up sitting on the Iron throne? Or that the Others will turn out to be generic evil comic book ice elves #259 with no motivation? Or that Littlefinger will be dicking around in Wintefell for a year, do nothing and then be killed by Arya in the dumbest possible scene? That Danny or Jon will turn out to be the Arthurian heroes of the story? None of the characters even had any kind of real, sensible character development since the show left the books behind. It's all just a garbled mess

e: gently caress, I signed my post

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 16, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh haven't they already started casting the prequel series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Opferwurst posted:

Are you kidding me? The show characters are a lovely fanfic of an even shittier fanfic someone wrote about the show. You really think Cercei will end up sitting on the Iron throne? Or that the Others will turn out to be generic evil comic book ice elves #259 with no motivation? Or that Littlefinger will be dicking around in Wintefell for a year, do nothing and then be killed by Arya in the dumbest possible scene? That Danny or Jon will turn out to be the Arthurian heroes of the story? None of the characters even had any kind of real, sensible character development since the show left the books behind. It's all just a garbled mess

lmfao

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This is a couple years old but apparently Both Rome and GoT cost ~$10M an episode on average. That said GoT is far, far more popular so it's probably much better at justifying its cost.

Also didn't the Targs have dragons around all the way up till the very end, even if the last handful were pitifully small and weak? Granted I'm sure the occasional shot of baby CGI dragons in a pit somewhere is probably cheaper than How to Train Your Dragon sex scenes. Or maybe you set it in Essos and don't need any of that poo poo period.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sydin posted:

This is a couple years old but apparently Both Rome and GoT cost ~$10M an episode on average. That said GoT is far, far more popular so it's probably much better at justifying its cost.

Also didn't the Targs have dragons around all the way up till the very end, even if the last handful were pitifully small and weak? Granted I'm sure the occasional shot of baby CGI dragons in a pit somewhere is probably cheaper than How to Train Your Dragon sex scenes. Or maybe you set it in Essos and don't need any of that poo poo period.

The dragons died out about 100 years before the show.

Not having dragons was a sore spot for the fanily and they kept trying to get new ones to hatch. Or worse. Danny's father became king when his grand(?)dad burned down the summer palace with himself inside of it trying to use magic to either birth a dragon or turn Rhegar into a dragon at his birth.

A prince went nuts and tried to turn himself into a dragon by drinking wildfire.

Xae fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 16, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It was so much traffic on HBO Nordic on monday that the site crashed.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sydin posted:

The spin off show is set thousands of years before asoiaf AFAIK. there were no dragons in Westeros, but a shitton of other stuff they can blow their CGI load on like rideable spiders, snarks and grumpkins(whatever the gently caress that is)

In any case, they are making mad money with this show and have been begging the show runners to do another season, but everyone associated with the actual production of this tire fire wants it to just be over cause they are burned out

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Opferwurst posted:

You really think Cercei will end up sitting on the Iron throne? Or that the Others will turn out to be generic evil comic book ice elves #259 with no motivation? Or that Littlefinger will be dicking around in Wintefell for a year, do nothing and then be killed by Arya in the dumbest possible scene? That Danny or Jon will turn out to be the Arthurian heroes of the story?

No because he's never going to finish the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

, or has waning enthusiasm for last/this season killed it?

The episode's viewership was record-breaking, and GoT terms dominated Twitter trending Sunday night. Surely signs of waning interest.