Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Smaller teams make far more enjoyable smaller-scale experiences than bigger companies make larger scale ones all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, then. I can't say I've got a lot of good experiences with quest- or companion mods for Skyrim, but it sounds like it might be time to actually give that one a fair shot.

VVV Geeze, be more defensive about it, why don't you. :jerkbag:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 13, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, if you say so. I guess I'll give it a shot the next time I feel like playing Skyrim, but I'll be honest: I have a hard time believing that twelve random German modders could put out anything as fully-formed as the 90+ professionals that worked on that game, as weak as parts of it were.

Now, better than the main quest? That, I'll buy.

Just play it, and try not to go into it all :colbert: and ready to hate it so you can trip over yourself to "told you so" itt

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

No you didnt miss a shitload of story, the end is just that unsatisfyingly rushed

My favourite part of the final stretch of the game is "Okay guys, the entire ruling council of Trinity are arriving onsite offscreen so we need to look alive and keep them safe" *five minutes of gameplay later* "OH GOD, the entire ruling council of Trinity are loving DEAD without appearing once onscreen! GAME OVER MAN, GAME OV-AAAAGGGHH" :gibs:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Devil May Cry 5? I beat 4 and almost beat 3.

V feels terrible to play in particular. Attacking anything above ground level is a chore. The panther whiffs all of its attacks and the crow uses its AOE attack when I don't want it to. What am I doing wrong?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Since Staxel just came out of Early Access I figured I'll try it out finally. Anyone got any tips/stuff I should be aware of starting out?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Bethesda keeps hiring prominent modders so at this point their official games are basically made by the mod community

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think my favorite thing about Enderal is that the Arcane Fever mechanic actually makes using healing magic have interesting drawbacks instead of just being better than food healing in every way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also if we're talking strictly about the writing, having a giant team working on it at once is not necessarily going to be an improvement. I haven't played the mod so I can't testify to it but I can believe that a small dedicated team is capable of putting out something genuinely good, especially if what I assume to be the hard part (making a fully-formed video game) is already taken care of for them.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also if we're talking strictly about the writing, having a giant team working on it at once is not necessarily going to be an improvement. I haven't played the mod so I can't testify to it but I can believe that a small dedicated team is capable of putting out something genuinely good, especially if what I assume to be the hard part (making a fully-formed video game) is already taken care of for them.

The writing of Enderal is at least as good as Skyrim, and imo better. It's all fully a competently voice acted, and has a nicely detailed and interesting world built in to it.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I think my favorite thing about Enderal is that the Arcane Fever mechanic actually makes using healing magic have interesting drawbacks instead of just being better than food healing in every way.

My favorite part is when someone brings you a nice crisp piece of meat.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite part of the final stretch of the game is "Okay guys, the entire ruling council of Trinity are arriving onsite offscreen so we need to look alive and keep them safe" *five minutes of gameplay later* "OH GOD, the entire ruling council of Trinity are loving DEAD without appearing once onscreen! GAME OVER MAN, GAME OV-AAAAGGGHH" :gibs:

i was always pretty hard on the first two new tomb raiders for their writing (despite loving rise), but god drat. the pacing, plotting, everything about shadow was so weak, it gave the previous game a retroactive upgrade.

even after thief 4 i was willing to give eidos montreal's b team the benefit of the doubt. lesson learned there i guess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The writing of Enderal is at least as good as Skyrim, and imo better. It's all fully a competently voice acted, and has a nicely detailed and interesting world built in to it.
The problem with main Skyrim writing is a combination of it being a commercial product and just plain too many cooks spoiling the broth. You'll hear a lot of people talk about their favorite part of Skyrim, but it's almost always a single self contained quest line, probably put together by just a couple people. There was no strong thematic throughline in the game, just a showcase of Cool Fantasy Moments.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Enderal being written by a small team creates a really cohesive atmosphere and mood. The way they build dread throughout the story is excellent.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

If you're going to play skyrim, especially if you're going to play a thief-y character, consider trying an overhaul mod like Skyre (or if you hate yourself, Requiem). Vanilla thieves are kinda broken and not very rewarding since pickpocket is basically never useful and the unfortunate stealth ai going on with the npcs.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

V feels terrible to play in particular. Attacking anything above ground level is a chore. The panther whiffs all of its attacks and the crow uses its AOE attack when I don't want it to. What am I doing wrong?

If you mean the move where the bird teleports back to you and does the burst around you, that's Lock-On + Back + Bird button. You're probably triggering it while you're moving or something. Lock + forward + bird is a launcher but is also pretty good at bringing flying enemies back down to earth.

As for Shadow, how close are you staying to the enemy? He likes to drift back to V, which can put him out of position for attacking. You can quickly reposition him by dodging left or right.

If you're having trouble with them, you can spend some Devil Trigger to let them go on auto-pilot for a bit. You'll need to read a lot to keep this up of course.

To feel good, I think V needs to be more deliberate about what buttons are being pressed than the others, so watch your thumbs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That part was absolutely incredible and I nearly laughed when it happened. Honestly the entire endgame sequence is like that and all of it is in a "gently caress it were not getting a fourth game" kind of way. My second favorite is that theres no real explanation at all for several things that they spent hours teasing and lara just face values because theres no time left not to.

Also the very end was such a naked grab for pathos it belongs on a nude beach.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

That part was absolutely incredible and I nearly laughed when it happened. Honestly the entire endgame sequence is like that and all of it is in a "gently caress it were not getting a fourth game" kind of way. My second favorite is that theres no real explanation at all for several things that they spent hours teasing and lara just face values because theres no time left not to.

Also the very end was such a naked grab for pathos it belongs on a nude beach.

Don't forget Commander Rourke being built up as the big target of revenge for Lara after RoTR... just to get unceremoniously murked while manning an APC turret that you can't actually tell he was on until he's getting his guts torn out and... oh well, gotta get this loving game over with and done with because the writers really do not care anymore and are on the bottom-drawer scotch at this point. :nallears:

A lot of Shadow's writing really feels like the production team is just burned out on Tomb Raider in its current form and wants to be done with it. The characters were actually pretty decently-written and a lot of the moment-to-moment stuff is good, but a lot of the overarching plot just feels like they want the game out the door so they don't have to look at it anymore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiovorax posted:

Just always a bit leery when a Skyrim mod starts throwing big promises like that around. I guess I've been spending a bit too much time in the Awful Mods thread to trust the user content for this game, lol.

Enderal is really good. Vastly better than vanilla.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Terminally Bored posted:

I found that V plays best only locking on when you were trying to do lock on moves, as opposed to the others who you can play locked on 90% of the time.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of Shadow's writing really feels like the production team is just burned out on Tomb Raider in its current form and wants to be done with it. The characters were actually pretty decently-written and a lot of the moment-to-moment stuff is good, but a lot of the overarching plot just feels like they want the game out the door so they don't have to look at it anymore.

it wasn't crystal dynamics that developed shadow, it was eidos montreal's thief 4 team. the problem isn't burn out, its that they make mediocre games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

the nucas posted:

it wasn't crystal dynamics that developed shadow, it was eidos montreal's thief 4 team. the problem isn't burn out, its that they make mediocre games.

Ooof that explains a lot.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Hm. I tried Enderal and came to a crashing halt when I met a group of new NPCs and what seemed like uncannily familiar plot development from Mass Effect. Is there much more to it if the main quest leaves me cold? Good sidequests?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Imo if you're already feeling cold on the plot because it bears some vague similarities to another game's overarching plot, you should probably just move on to something else.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Any advice for Outward?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Riatsala posted:

consider trying an overhaul mod like Skyre

Whoa, never heard of this. Has anyone played it? What's the overall philosophy of it, like is it aiming to make the game more difficult or what?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Since Staxel just came out of Early Access I figured I'll try it out finally. Anyone got any tips/stuff I should be aware of starting out?

If you're planning on playing with friends:

I spent about 3 hours trying to get the game to allow me and my friends to progress through the first quest chain. There's a super annoying bug that will lock you out of receiving the Barn Sign and you're just hosed. It's a very common issue, too, that's been fixed a few times.

To spare yourself from having to remake your server/world or cheat the items in (this causes more issues later), make sure that people who join only talk to Farm Fan, complete each step up until Maximilian sends you to construct a barn. This method was the only way we were able to trigger the proper events.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Any tips for the Technomancer?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa, never heard of this. Has anyone played it? What's the overall philosophy of it, like is it aiming to make the game more difficult or what?

SkyRe is about 5 years out of date nowadays, you want ordinator probably. anyway just go to the Skyrim mods thread

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

SkyRe is about 5 years out of date nowadays, you want ordinator probably. anyway just go to the Skyrim mods thread
There's a sequel/spiritual successor mod by the same designer, but I've never used either so I can't comment on the quality.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

StoryTime posted:

I'd honestly say that it's a better game than vanilla Skyrim. It's really quite impressive.
Being a better game than vanilla Skyrim honestly isn't that high of a bar. But while the story can get pretentious, the mechanics and leveling and dungeons and quests and just about loving everything else is indeed better than in Skyrim.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

My favorite part of Enderal is an early quest you can pick up in the first town about the mayor's wife having hallucinations because she's haunted by the ghosts of people the mayor's assistant had killed because they found out he was having an affair with her. It does the low-key spooky thing pretty well as long as you're doing the quest at night and the climax of the whole thing is the ghostwoman loving exploding the dude after he confesses. It immediately sold me on the mod being at its worst 'at least as good as the average Skyrim questline.'

Either that or the opening where you have a hallucination/nightmare where your dad accuses you of killing and cannibalizing your family and then the house burns down around you. It's VAed very well for what could have ended up being a completely ridiculous scene if the guy hadn't nailed the lines.

Fake Edit:

anilEhilated posted:

the mechanics and leveling and dungeons and quests and just about loving everything else is indeed better than in Skyrim.
Also this.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
What's the enemy design like in Enderal? Spiders are a hard no for me which is why I always roll with the mod that turns them into bears in Skyrim but if Enderal uses them with no easy way to replace them I'd rather know now rather than mid-way through.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CaptainRat posted:

What's the enemy design like in Enderal? Spiders are a hard no for me which is why I always roll with the mod that turns them into bears in Skyrim but if Enderal uses them with no easy way to replace them I'd rather know now rather than mid-way through.
There's definitely spiders, and IDK what mod compatibility is like. Someone better at it than me could probably look into it. Maybe ask the Skyrim modding thread?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

CaptainRat posted:

IMO a giant poisonous bear dropping from the ceiling in a webbed-up cave would be even more terrifying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I can't imagine a replace mod wouldn't work, enderal is just a extremely elaborate skyrim mod after all

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Enemy design is mostly just the same enemy models from Vanilla, but with different names and stats and such.

Probly my favorite thing about Enderal is that undead are actually pretty loving dangerous, and the anti undead spells are incredibly useful to the point of being almost a neccesity if you're playing on higher difficulty / early game.

There is a big rear end castle in the southwest near the start. Go there and see what we mean by the design team being on their fuckin game (also prepare to get your poo poo pushed in if you aren't leveled enough or prepared for undead).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

IMO a giant poisonous bear dropping from the ceiling in a webbed-up cave would be even more terrifying.

All it needs now is a chainsaw.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Update: Without really intending to initially, I'm playing Skyrim like it's Fantasy GTA, just doing crimes for the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild and ignoring the main quest line entirely.

After that maybe I'll go to wizard school or some poo poo, I dunno.

Skyrim is worse than Witcher 3 in every single way... except for the ability to just avoid playing the main game itself and loving around indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I've put hundreds of hours if not more into most every elder scrolls main game from Daggerfall onward.

I don't think I've ever gotten more than half way into any main quest.