Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thank you for that, wicked.

I've been thinking about it and I think that Harris, Beto, and Buttgieg might actually sabotage each other and lead to a Sanders primary win. It's extremely clear that they all want to be the establishment candidate but they're all self-absorbed enough to where they won't likely bow out for one of the other candidates. Like three mini-Clintons running at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The sheer amount of gay communities on social media rallying around him, and being outwardly hostile towards any criticism of Buttigieg, has alarmed me. The LGBT community needs to be better than this, imo.

VitalSigns posted:

Then there's the kind that says "wow I've been oppressed and discriminated against my entire life for something beyond my control, and I've learned that it's unjust that I personally have been shut out from the privilege to which I was always told I was entitled as a (pick one or more) ☑affluent ☑cis ☑white ☑male, and systems of oppression must and shall be reconfigured to put me on top where I belong!"

The latter is the kind that sends stormtroopers out to smash up a homeless encampment because it's impinging on their property values/car-window commuting view. Unsurprisingly the more check-boxes that apply, the greater percentage of that demographic that are shitheads. Poor black lesbian transwomen, pretty good. Rich white gay men, pretty poo poo.

I hope this clears up your confusion.

From past experience, it's this kind of gay that has disproportionate influence within Democratic politics, and is almost always complaining when anything happens that isn't about them.

When I was trying to help get Michigan canvassed in 2016, some Hillary staffer was mad about that, because the campaign believed Michigan was already won. Instead of debating the poll numbers, he immediately went to complaining that any criticism of him was wrong, because he was gay.

When the Green New Deal came out with AOC, this same group was mad that something other than LGBT issues were pushed to the forefront.

Even last year, during the midterms, this group was just trying to be intentionally contrarian, by starting dumb arguments that only Hillary Clinton should be the Democratic nominee in 2020, and if you're against that, you're anti-gay.

That shouldn't be a thing in big-tent, vast coalition politics, but it's been an issue for a while. Hopefully, Pete Buttigieg making a fool of himself can get some heads back on straight.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

AsInHowe posted:

That shouldn't be a thing in big-tent, vast coalition politics, but it's been an issue for a while. Hopefully, Pete Buttigieg making a fool of himself can get some heads back on straight.

hello pence

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember that Systemic Consultant Thinking you were busy trying to work your way through, Brandor

let me give you some of it, straight from the vaunted heights of an office building shooting the poo poo with other dipshits fresh out of college tasked with deciding where seven figures of investment should go to Achieve Efficiencies (tm)

1. doing things costs money

2. getting people to give you money by saying things they want to hear is a low-investment way to make money to do other things

3. right now there are a lot of very wealthy democratic donors who are having a sad about how it looks like people are showing insufficient fealty to israel and/or might think about taxing the rich.

the Buttman's willingness to lick Netanyahu's feet clean is not an aberration, Brandor. this is that beautiful sociopathy you say you want in a candidate. it turns out it is perfectly tuned to produce the sales pitch "I Would Gladly Gun Down The Untermenschen Myself" in the hopes of opening Haim Saban's wallet.

Every time haim saban comes up I get sad because power rangers pays for Zionist bullshit

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Establishment policies with a dash of identity politics is a good way to attract big money donors and useful idiots. Buttigieg's election strategy makes sense to me, I just don't think he will garner enough of a coalition to pull it off. After reading more about him the last few days in this thread I can see why he drives many people insane, but I also don't think many of his stances are far at all from what Democratic leadership has traditionally advocated for in the past several election cycles.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Didn't you hear the news? Being gay and white automatically cancels out your minority status.

Swigs stopped doing anything for human queers the second they got marriage. If they could have kept the rest of us from getting married they would have.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

Prison should be reserved for people we've decided are no longer fit to be apart of our society. Assuming prisons are being used correctly, you wouldn't want the people within having an input in the society they do not get to be apart of.
Yeah it should be but it ain't, and by assuming that it is anyway you're locking a lot of people out who don't deserve to be.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Condiv posted:

hello pence

ah shut

I didn't see that phrasing. Sorry.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

HootTheOwl posted:

What do you think a prison is?
You seem to think we expel prisoners or otherwise make them outlaws. This is not the case, for the time being anyway. Prisoners have rights. It's weird to me that you think they don't. It's less weird to me that you think they shouldn't, but that just means you're a reactionary and we have plenty of those.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/04/15/pete-buttigieg-national-service-program-1277274

quote:

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg on Monday night advocated a form of national public service for all young adults as a way to create unity among Americans.

"We really want to talk about the threat to social cohesion that helps characterize this presidency but also just this era," the mayor of South Bend, Ind., told MSNBC's Rachel Maddow. "One thing we could do that would change that would be to make it, if not legally obligatory, but certainly a social norm that anybody after they're 18 spends a year in national service."

Buttigieg was vague about what would constitute national service, but both he and Maddow acknowledged it would most likely not be a military draft. Without saying the program would be mandatory, Buttigieg did suggest colleges and employers ask applicants about participation in it.

"It's one of these ideas that everybody kind of likes, but it was always important and never urgent," Buttigieg said of a national service program. “How would that ever kind of hold on its own in a policy debate where we deal with kids in cages and we have to deal with climate change and there are all these pressing, burning issues?“

how can ANYONE like this trashpile of a candidate!?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

you all can say "well, pete will be better than trump" but I am not gonna vote for that shitstain if he wins

gently caress him

whiggles
Dec 19, 2003

TEAM EDWARD
referring to Pete as "Butt," "the buttman," or any variation that places emphasis on the fact that his last name contains the word 'butt' is probably not a great look, imo. I won't call it 'homophobic' but its not a great look and plenty of people would find it offensive and crass.

I do not like the mayor, personally.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I’m 100 percent certain mayor Pete is a loving sociopath . He has no concrete plans and just speaks in the vaguest sense about uhhh stuff .

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SERVICE GUARANTEES CITIZENSHIP!

Would you like to know more?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

whiggles posted:

referring to Pete as "Butt," "the buttman," or any variation that places emphasis on the fact that his last name contains the word 'butt' is probably not a great look, imo. I won't call it 'homophobic' but its not a great look and plenty of people would find it offensive and crass.

awww how dare we offend the little fascist Pete the butts sensibilities ! He wants to gas and kill Palestinians . But if we mock his last name we are the true bad guys

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

whiggles posted:

half of his original appeal was that his name contained butt in it

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

From past experience, it's this kind of gay that has disproportionate influence within Democratic politics, and is almost always complaining when anything happens that isn't about them.

When I was trying to help get Michigan canvassed in 2016, some Hillary staffer was mad about that, because the campaign believed Michigan was already won. Instead of debating the poll numbers, he immediately went to complaining that any criticism of him was wrong, because he was gay.

When the Green New Deal came out with AOC, this same group was mad that something other than LGBT issues were pushed to the forefront.

Even last year, during the midterms, this group was just trying to be intentionally contrarian, by starting dumb arguments that only Hillary Clinton should be the Democratic nominee in 2020, and if you're against that, you're anti-gay.

Someone else knows what a Straight White Gay is and is more composed than I'm capable of being at the moment.

Anyway, when "I can't be bothered with this poo poo." (this poo poo meaning clarifying diplomatic issues revolving around gay passports and asserting the equal citizenship of SSM/SSA couples, as well as trans people) happened the SWGs were out in full force for the rest of the election poo poo-talking lgbt people who would want to leave America, lgbts who HAVE to travel for business instead of getting to, trans people, Muslims, etc.

The Straight White Gays, to a man, are the sort of fucks who'd give their kid to a conversion camp rather than accept a tax hike. They are also astonishingly racist/sexist and are often TERF-aligned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

whiggles posted:

haha gently caress off with this "I'm not gonna call it homophobic but..." poo poo, if you're wanna paint it as homophobic to call him Butt then just do it so we can mock you properly.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
If you don't want to be mocked as wannabe president Buttman of fartmerica then a good first step would be to not openly revel in the deaths of brown people / destroy homeless encampments / protect racist cops.

Not having your surname be Buttigieg is a strong second step I will admit.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

MrFlibble posted:

If you don't want to be mocked as wannabe president Buttman of fartmerica then a good first step would be to not openly revel in the deaths of brown people / destroy homeless encampments / protect racist cops.

Not having your surname be Buttigieg is a strong second step I will admit.

oh he's gone beyond reveling in the deaths of brown people. now he wants to force every young person in america to revel in america's imperialism

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There are versions of a national service program which are actually decent proposals, this just isn't one of them.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Imagine a national service where you get to go take care of a park or do environmental protection stuff.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

whiggles posted:

Buttchuggers is the only okay one since that one actually ties into his College White Boy supporters.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Or work at a homeless shelter, or a drug treatment facility, etc etc

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

There are versions of a national service program which are actually decent proposals, this just isn't one of them.

Yeah if he starts calling for everyone to spend a year cleaning up national forests and doing public works I might be ok with that, but no doubt in my mind he wants everyone to spend a year stomping on brown people abroad.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
The thing about "Butt" jokes is that pretty soon right-wingers will start doing them in overtly homophobic ways and then it'll pretty clearly be not okay for anyone

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

whiggles posted:

We call him Buttman because he's a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt.

e: Also most of us started calling him Buttman long before we realized he's gay. Because his name has "Butt" in it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 17, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Yeah if he starts calling for everyone to spend a year cleaning up national forests and doing public works I might be ok with that, but no doubt in my mind he wants everyone to spend a year stomping on brown people abroad.

oh, it's almost certain

from the politico article posted:

Buttigieg mentioned that for him and several former presidents, including John F. Kennedy and George H. W. Bush, serving in the military allowed them to meet and build trust with people of starkly different backgrounds, education and income. Buttigieg served in the Navy from 2009 to 2017, including a deployment to Afghanistan. Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) are the only current Democratic presidential candidates who are veterans.

if there is anything else to do in pete's "national service program" aside from military misadventures, it'll probably be discriminated against unless you're a wealthy failson/daughter. remember that pete wants his national service program to affect employment and the ability to get an education!

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 17, 2019

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Majorian posted:

We call him Buttman because he's a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Z. Autobahn posted:

The thing about "Butt" jokes is that pretty soon right-wingers will start doing them in overtly homophobic ways and then it'll pretty clearly be not okay for anyone

I find a lot of these funny even if a few get kinda uncomfortably close to the line but pretty much this.

I also fully expect a Trump/Putin makeout situation of having to once again explain to people that poo poo ain't okay even if the targets are complete monsters.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

guys we have other options than making fun of the way his name is spelled

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I'll cop to muddying the difference between citizen rights and resident rights on my end. The rights unique to citizens should be inherent and ironclad, there can be zero compromise on them and any stance other than full protection should be treated with suspicion.

The rest of the rights should be protected and are important, but there are times when a greater societal need trumps rights like, say, right to bear arms or free speech or whatever.

So what you are saying is that you oppose gun control? I mean that's a right that's unique to citizens so we can't deprive someone of that right, even if we have good reason to believe that they are on their way to murder their ex.

edit: I don't personally have an objection to prisoners being granted the franchise, in a sane world the numbers should be a small enough percentage that it's not like they'll be able to vote themselves out of jail. But you're going to find it to be a hard sell that someone in prison should be able to vote, someone who has completed their sentence, sure but current prisoner, yeah I don't see that getting anything resembling support.

Skex fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 17, 2019

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
The question is - do you think a similarly monstrous straight man with the surname Buttsomething would be getting more / the same / or less calling of the buttman and similar joshing.

Because if the people on something awful are being homophobic with their juvenile frivolous mocking of the bloodthirsty homeless hunting cop tongue kisser then it is a sad day for all of us.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

At least when Hillary proposed something similar students got free college out of it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

True, but given that this is a pretty self-contained space without too many right-wingers, I don't we're going to be giving the idea to them.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Skex posted:

So what you are saying is that you oppose gun control? I mean that's a right that's unique to citizens so we can't deprive someone of that right, even if we have good reason to believe that they are on their way to murder their ex.

edit: I don't personally have an objection to prisoners being granted the franchise, in a sane world the numbers should be a small enough percentage that it's not like they'll be able to vote themselves out of jail. But you're going to find it to be a hard sell that someone in prison should be able to vote, someone who has completed their sentence, sure but current prisoner, yeah I don't see that getting anything resembling support.

Did you watch the Fox News crowd cheer for the concept of people voting from prison at the town hall? I think you're the one who wants it to be a hard sell because that makes you feel better, but most people seem to understand that 1 person = 1 vote.

You're even buying into the dumb rhetorical framing of "they might vote themselves out of jail" (yes you said it probably won't happen but you're admitting it's a fear)

eta: never mind, it's just gonna prompt a huge essay response, I know this pattern by now

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 17, 2019

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Majorian posted:

True, but given that this is a pretty self-contained space without too many right-wingers, I don't we're going to be giving the idea to them.

Oh yeah it'll happen 100% independently of us

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

guys we have other options than making fun of the way his name is spelled

Petit Bourgeoisie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
At the absolute very least for districting purposes prisoners should be counted where they lived before their incarceration instead of giving people who live near prisons a bunch of extra votes with a perverse incentive to vote to keep people imprisoned.