Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

No Wave posted:

I miss Walder Frey the most. That guy was the best.

Arya should put his face on every once in while and wander around Winterfell dunking on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

What a bunch of freaking babies.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

No Wave posted:

He was definitely the last cackling cartoonishly-evil villain who was any drat fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Wave posted:

All he ever did was violate :decorum:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lycus posted:

Arya should put his face on every once in while and wander around Winterfell dunking on people.
Heck yes. Every episode this season should end with a 3 minute scene of Arya frey entertaining and poisoning another minor person on the list.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you can't have fun during the apocalypse, when can you have fun?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh my god can you guys just go jerk off together and stop filling every page of this thread with this same crap over and over and over?

Oh the irony.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

No Wave posted:

Heck yes. Every episode this season should end with a 3 minute scene of Arya frey entertaining and poisoning another minor person on the list.

This is wrong because the last bit of Arya's character arc left is obviously learning forgiveness and letting go of her list.

e: on my wish list for this season is a scene that's a conversation between Varys and Bran. Having Varys and Tyrion who's whole world is scheming and plotting come face to face with someone from whom there are no secrets could be really well done.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 16, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
robb broke his marriage oath. the only bond that glues feudal society together. walder frey did nothing wrong. :colbert:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sethsez posted:

Which is probably why GRRM has been unable to finish anything in years and the last two books were mediocre with good bits here and there. This is where everything was meant to end up (everyone involved has already said they knew how the story was going to end and the basic path to get there) but HBO were willing to just hit each plot point however they could, while GRRM is incapable of leaving anything behind or wrapping anything up so we just get two books of aimless wandering followed by nothing.

Cersei was always going to sit on the Iron Throne, Dany and Jon were always going to end up together, the only difference is that HBO has a schedule and a shitload of contracts to honor while GRRM has the world's most patient publisher, so GRRM can take all the time in the world to try and write himself out of all the various corners he's in while HBO has to just blow up some plotlines and move poo poo along because Bran's actor isn't getting any younger.

Yeah, if Grum is really dead set on hitting plot points like Cercei being on the throne then he was never gonna finish the books in a hundred years. I have no idea how you could get there in any sensible and satisfactory way.

I mean, she could still get a moment where she crowns herself Empress of the world from her Führerbunker in King's Landing before they drag her out screaming and kicking, but not actually rule a functioning kingdom. Maybe she gets to be queen of the post-apocalyptic wastelands, ruling over corpses and ashes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zane posted:

robb broke his marriage oath. the only bond that glues feudal society together. walder frey did nothing wrong. :colbert:

The Starks were their guests. Walder Frey would've done nothing wrong if he had just denied them passage.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zane posted:

Telling him to gently caress off and breaking your alliance with Rob is the correct course of action after that.

But inviting someone to dinner and then murdering them is biblical level of jackassery though.

Hospitality is mostly a forgotten thing these days, but in ye olden days it was a Big loving Deal. There isn't much these days that has the same level of taboo on it as breaking hospitality did back in the day.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zane posted:

He killed them after offering them bread and salt, which is a huge no no.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
speaking more seriously for a moment: the starks would have been pretty hosed without the karstarks and freys to support them. and the starks wouldn't be inclined to bend the knee for long with ned, and presumably arya, still lying unavenged.

the situation is actually good historical encapsulation of the endless cycle of blood revenge--the avenging of past kin--that a lot of elites in pre-modern europe typically got up to before the church introduced a more impartial and universalist legal tradition. the lannisters want revenge for tyrion. the karstarks want revenge for eddard and torrhen and then for rickard. the starks want revenge for.. everything. it's one of the themes in beowulf: grendel is a son of cain, the first kinslayer; and beowulf has to 'kill' the principle of kinslaying somehow.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 17, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sethsez posted:

I made fun of a guy who said interest in Game of Thrones is waning. Calm down.

Sorry, it just seems like its come up a lot lately. We're here to talk about the show. Some people gonna like things other goons don't, some goons gonna dislike things other goons like. That's the whole point of the convo.

He also seemed to be more asking then making a definitive declaration, so you can respond by just making a counter-point instead of attacking him.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hey remember when Jaime killed his own cousin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Away all Goats posted:

Jaime's character arc has been so satisfying specifically because of who he was when he started.

Arya, Jon, Dany, they were all pretty innocent and blank when the show started. But Jaime we've seen completely walk the spectrum of alignments.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Jaime's character arc has been so satisfying specifically because of who he was when he started.

Arya, Jon, Dany, they were all pretty innocent and blank when the show started. But Jaime we've seen completely walk the spectrum of alignments.

The Starks arcs are the opposite of Jaime's in the books, but the show has cut that aspect.

Cat is an undead vengeance zombie, Arya is a faceless man. Sansa is a Littlefinger. Rickon is a cannibal. Bran is half tree.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What are the chances Syrio Forel returns for the final battle?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

The Starks arcs are the opposite of Jaime's in the books, but the show has cut that aspect.

Cat is an undead vengeance zombie, Arya is a faceless man. Sansa is a Littlefinger. Rickon is a cannibal. Bran is half tree.

They feed parts of Jojen to Bran IRC so he is either a cannibal or a carnivorous tree

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What are the chances Syrio Forel returns for the final battle?

Boy would that be a reunion.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shame she never got a chance to steal his face and teach others. :(

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

that was a real dumb and unnecessary addition.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Opferwurst posted:

They feed parts of Jojen to Bran IRC so he is either a cannibal or a carnivorous tree

That's very lightly implied, but not confirmed yet. There's definitely something weird going on with Jojen tho, whether it's literal cannibalism or he and Bloodraven just sucking his life energy into their roots or something.

Man Bloodraven was such a disappointment in the show. I wanted some body horror tree poo poo but he was just an old dude sitting in some branches lmao

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Max Von Sydow is not a disappointment. You can be disappointed that he wasn’t a horror show, but he’s better than a lot of things and quite frankly Bran could do a lot worse than learn from Blofeld.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Breaking Bad Season 5B was a ratings bonanza and the height of the shows popularity. Better Call Saul gets less than a fifth of the viewers IIRC. The GoT spinoffs are not gonna be a wild success.

Better Call Saul has overall had consistently better ratings than Breaking Bad over the life of the series. Their 4th season ratings nearly mirror Breaking Bad’s 4th season. People forget that Breaking Bad was on the cancellation bubble for a number of seasons. I’ve heard second hand that AMC actually tried to cancel it after the first season and Melissa Bernstein somehow managed to save the show.

The 5th season of Breaking Bad was a ratings monster — but also an aberration we’re unlikely to ever see again. No other show has experienced an exponential explosion of viewers like it:

413 (finale) — 1.9 mil viewers
501 (premiere) — 2.9 mil viewers
509 (mid-season premiere) — 5.9 mil viewers
516 (finale) — 10.3 mil viewers

Anyway, long tangent to say it’s not really fair to judge Better Call Saul on those 5th season numbers Breaking Bad numbers. The show continues to do quite well for AMC.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Xae posted:

Telling him to gently caress off and breaking your alliance with Rob is the correct course of action after that.

But inviting someone to dinner and then murdering them is biblical level of jackassery though.

Hospitality is mostly a forgotten thing these days, but in ye olden days it was a Big loving Deal. There isn't much these days that has the same level of taboo on it as breaking hospitality did back in the day.

It still does when it comes to relations between countries. Even the most insane, genocidal dictators recognize that diplomats are absolutely immune from all prosecution and the worst you can do is kick them out, no matter what they or their countries do. Not even Hitler or Stalin broke that rule.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
My wife says Euron looks like, "if Michael Shannon raped Jude Law."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

We know Theon’s shaft was chopped off but do we know if he still has balls or not?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I've long figured that D&D wanted to show Theon in full during the bath scene, but HBO said "gently caress no".

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So is Danny not going to be surprised when Jon or whomever tells her than Jon is the heir to the throne, since she encouraged him to ride the dragon last episode? Like she already knows.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Golbez posted:

My wife says Euron looks like, "if Michael Shannon raped Jude Law."

tea tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zotix posted:

So is Danny not going to be surprised when Jon or whomever tells her than Jon is the heir to the throne, since she encouraged him to ride the dragon last episode? Like she already knows.

she'll probably be hype as gently caress to be boning the son of the brother she dreamed about marrying

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Alchenar posted:

This is wrong because the last bit of Arya's character arc left is obviously learning forgiveness and letting go of her list.

https://youtu.be/vh9pZWCd8MU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Max Von Sydow is not a disappointment. You can be disappointed that he wasn’t a horror show, but he’s better than a lot of things and quite frankly Bran could do a lot worse than learn from Blofeld.

This show has relied on James Bond actors from the start and we have none now. The best we have left is a John Wick villain.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

https://twitter.com/pointclickbait/status/1118338223766290432

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Lol

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Going onto the Gurm stuff, I feel like it's an unfortunately common trend of a lot of fantasy literature to make leagues and leagues of literature about your particular fantasy universe and then struggle to bring it to an end. I have no idea how many fantasy series just kept going and going and either dragging out plotlines or burdening the world with more and more narratives and stories. First thing that comes to mind is Wheel of Time, where I wasn't even halfway through the first book before realizing there was no way I was going to get through all of that in one lifetime (although to be fair, the author also didn't get through all of it in his own lifetime, either).

I wonder what it is specifically about fantasy authors/novels that makes them so vulnerable to bloat? Does it have to do with the readership? Something about wanting to make the most out of a fantasy world you put effort into crafting? Something else?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's really stark with ASoIaF because how much work GRRM pours into making GRRMarillion books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I remember reading one of those books. It was this big coffee table book about the Targaeryens.

It was...not actually very interesting. A history book about fictional characters is kind of a hard sell.