Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

I. Am. Borg.

Bjorn boeg is still alive dude, no need to play zombie borg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Imagine if star wars bombed but logan's run was a hit and made movie history, and instead of saying may the force be with you, it'd be box saying this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKROeWxZHfg

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lots of good kids movie are also just good movies in general, you don't get to retreat to "but it's a kids film!!!" when trying to defend a bad movie

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

yeah "it's for kids" is and has almost universally been a cop-out for lazy filmmaking.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I get the same gaff from the Doctor Who community in response to my scathing reviews of modern Doctor Who episodes. There's always that fan that says, "you're not a true fan because you have negative things to say," as if being a fan means you must love everything about it unconditionally and blindly.

IMO, the problem with Rogue One is that the film was presented in the drab, shallow, pointless-action oriented format of modern movies, which simply doesn't work for a Star Wars film. Abrams was careful to maintain rich colors in TFA to make it feel/look more connected to the original trilogy. Rogue One to me looks like a modern reboot of the original franchise, and like so many of those, it fails to match or exceed expectations set by it's source material.

The original Star Wars films set the bar really high in terms of quality, but the ingredients worked perfectly. Disney is attempting to tell a SW story as a modern doomsday action flick, and the result is hogwash. Why not stick to the format of the original trilogy? You know it works, you know it sells, you know it will please both new and old fans. To think audiences would prefer a colorless, drab, mindless action version to the formula of the original trilogy is patently absurd.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

lots of good kids movie are also just good movies in general, you don't get to retreat to "but it's a kids film!!!" when trying to defend a bad movie

Oh definitely there are way better kids movies these days and the box office reflects this

Also this new JJ quote

quote:

“I will say that we knew, going into this, that this movie, it had to be a satisfying conclusion. And we were well aware that that’s one of the things that’s been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn’t happen]. We have honored that. But I will say that there’s more to the story than you’ve seen.”

He totally wants to say it didn't happen

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 17, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think kylo's ren fat tummy is really funny

why did they make his pants so high? Like, above the belly button. I think its to cover his fat tummy

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

lando looking plump dudes ready to be cooked for thanksgiving

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

I get the same gaff from the Doctor Who community in response to my scathing reviews of modern Doctor Who episodes. There's always that fan that says, "you're not a true fan because you have negative things to say," as if being a fan means you must love everything about it unconditionally and blindly.

What that person meant was that you have the ability to differentiate between good and bad things, an ability that all true Doctor Who fans lack. They were just making a statement of fact

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiberius Christ posted:

lando looking plump dudes ready to be cooked for thanksgiving

they asked billy dee williams to put on a little extra weight to make the movie more appealing to its biggest (lol you see what i did there) fans

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hey its me, kyle katarn, appearing in the newest movie, it turned out i was canon all along and i'm the coolest guy here

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

anyone else keep reading it as "ree-ann" and not "ryan" ?

YES

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Caesar Saladin posted:

hey its me, Dash Rendar, appearing in the newest movie, it turned out i was canon all along and i'm the coolest guy here

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FogHelmut posted:

anyone else keep reading it as "ree-ann" and not "ryan" ?

Oh, is it actually "Ryan"? Huh. Maybe his parents are gaelic or something.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

hey its me, kyle katarn, appearing in the newest movie, it turned out i was canon all along and i'm the coolest guy here

Dark forces is way cooler than rouge wan

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Big Beef City posted:

The entire franchise has existed eternally to sell toys, video games, and candy specifically marketed to and for the children who see the movies.

It's gone beyond just those things. Bags of oranges with Yoda on them, clothes, tooth brushes, wipes, cars making x-wing noises.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Caesar Saladin posted:

hey its me, randomized player name Warm Organa, appearing in the game, it turned out i was Revan all along and i'm the coolest guy here

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hardawn posted:

It's gone beyond just those things. Bags of oranges with Yoda on them, clothes, tooth brushes, wipes, cars making x-wing noises.

quote:

the children who see the movies

No it hasn't.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
me, at the thater opening night: *pointing to visible bulge at crotch* "look like the 'skywalkers' arent the ONLY thing rising tonight ladies"

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Lmao @ Eric butts

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

star war beta max posted:

me, at the thater opening night: *pointing to visible bulge at crotch* "look like the 'skywalkers' arent the ONLY thing rising tonight ladies"

"Who wants me to shoot a proton torpedo in their exhaust port this evening right? Hiyoooo"

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Can't wait for the part in episode 9 where x-wing pilot Rhyyan Jonzon's space ship attack plan gets proposed and immediately shot down by Grand Admiral Cat Kenady.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

IMO, the problem with Rogue One is that the film was presented in the drab, shallow, pointless-action oriented format of modern movies, which simply doesn't work for a Star Wars film. Abrams was careful to maintain rich colors in TFA to make it feel/look more connected to the original trilogy. Rogue One to me looks like a modern reboot of the original franchise, and like so many of those, it fails to match or exceed expectations set by it's source material.

The original Star Wars films set the bar really high in terms of quality, but the ingredients worked perfectly. Disney is attempting to tell a SW story as a modern doomsday action flick, and the result is hogwash. Why not stick to the format of the original trilogy? You know it works, you know it sells, you know it will please both new and old fans. To think audiences would prefer a colorless, drab, mindless action version to the formula of the original trilogy is patently absurd.

I disagree. I think the fatal flaw of Rogue One is neither the tone nor the aesthetics, but the fact the characters are a bunch of boring ciphers and the movie is terrified of letting them have a normal conversation. The feeling of fatalism that permeates everything comes more from the fact the characters have no individual motivations and are just marched forward by the script than by the fact that they die in a suicide mission

Like there's that scene where they're flying to the rain planet where it's like, okay, they've got some downtime, this is clearly where the group gets to know each other a little so the audience actually knows what's at risk and what's to be gained for these characters in the action to come, but instead they just... don't talk at all and the scene ends. It is so baffling and I feel like there must have been a real scene here in the original cut of the movie and some dingus edited it out because talking is BOOOORING let's get back to the lasers bitch!!

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I reck butts

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
idk this star warriors poo poo or whatever looks kinda gay. wanna hit up the shake shack with maude and bernice??

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How the hell does this thread have 700 posts in like 5 days

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Shame, projection, and infantilism would be my bet

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Away all Goats posted:

People love talking about Star Wars

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Did anyone say Star war? Love it!

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Away all Goats posted:

Lol when these forums were neither dead nor gay you could've added a zero to that post count

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
People just love talking about Star Wars! It ruined my childhood! Extended universe! Rian Johnson and Ron Howard! Jarjar binks! Darth Vader, ooooooo!

The force! Jedi! Smugglers! Empire!

And such and such.

star war beta max
Sep 26, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Farrier Theaks posted:

Lol when these forums were neither dead nor gay you could've added a zero to that post count

Truly the halcyon days of talking about star wars

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Are the Ewoks movies canon? I SURE HOPE SO

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Broke: watching a star war

Woke: posting about star war

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I just warred in my stars.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
brb making a knights of the old republic character called Ri-an Jon-son with pink hair

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Happy Lando is probably the best thing to come out of these new movies, tbqh

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Chomp8645 posted:

Broke: watching a star war

Woke: posting about star war

Bespoke: Funneling hot Tar Wars up my butthole with a space cone.

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I disagree. I think the fatal flaw of Rogue One is neither the tone nor the aesthetics, but the fact the characters are a bunch of boring ciphers and the movie is terrified of letting them have a normal conversation. The feeling of fatalism that permeates everything comes more from the fact the characters have no individual motivations and are just marched forward by the script than by the fact that they die in a suicide mission

Like there's that scene where they're flying to the rain planet where it's like, okay, they've got some downtime, this is clearly where the group gets to know each other a little so the audience actually knows what's at risk and what's to be gained for these characters in the action to come, but instead they just... don't talk at all and the scene ends. It is so baffling and I feel like there must have been a real scene here in the original cut of the movie and some dingus edited it out because talking is BOOOORING let's get back to the lasers bitch!!

I hear it's because thry changed the characters and before thry were too terroristy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Xtra Innings Lovin posted:

Are the Ewoks movies canon? I SURE HOPE SO

i asked georg lucas and he said uyes.