Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A few years ago some thieves hit my condo parking lot and stole an expensive set of power tools out of my neighbour's work van and then hit my dilapidated Subaru (because I had bought it the day before and didn't know how to work the power locks).

Out of my car, they only stole a little tiny squeeze bottle of lock de-icer. I don't think you can even get high off that stuff.

The next week they came back - except my neighbour wasn't sleeping then, and hosed up one of them super bad with a baseball bat. You can imagine how pleased the cops were at vigilante justice.

dont leave us blue ballin here did he get arrested or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I've always wanted a Brat

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

T-Square posted:

Also, putting gloves in the glove box is weird. Gloves are for when it's cold, why would I want to put cold gloves that have been sitting in my cold car all night on my cold hands? :colbert:

I forgot to lock my car one night a few years back, and in the morning I was missing my winter gloves

Nothing else

Hell, it was a cold night, I hope they helped.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My roommate once flew to Denver and drove back to Bozeman with a Subaru BRAT he bought on eBay.

I would send him those photos, but his wife would murder me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A brat that clean is for a different type of person than me because if I had one I would instantly start modding it in ways that couldn't be undone.

But gently caress me the 80's are BACK. I hated everything from that decade growing up but now that we've lived through an era of scalloped plastic cars I can't get enough of 80's styling.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
How. How the gently caress is that Brat so clean. I don't understand.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

xzzy posted:

Once upon a time I straight up forgot to put my license plate sticker on. I drove around for 11 months unaware, and never got pulled over.

Then one night I was at a gas station getting a snack and a patrol car fueling up ran my plates. Dude walked over and was all "your registration is up to date but your sticker is expired, should get that fixed."

I think technically he could have given me a ticket but I guess he was in a good mood or something? My tag for the upcoming year showed up like a week later.

I did this for 14 years or so before I really got screamed at about it. There was impressive screaming. No ticket. I had a multi colored pamphlet of registration sheets with stickers still attached when I got pulled over. Showing this to the officer and flipping through it to prove I had always had it registered did NOT make him calmer. I can not possibly overstate the amount of yelling.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

dont leave us blue ballin here did he get arrested or what

He did, but I don't know what happened after that. He moved away.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BitBasher posted:

I did this for 14 years or so before I really got screamed at about it. There was impressive screaming. No ticket. I had a multi colored pamphlet of registration sheets with stickers still attached when I got pulled over. Showing this to the officer and flipping through it to prove I had always had it registered did NOT make him calmer. I can not possibly overstate the amount of yelling.

lmfao

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I once got pulled over for expired registration. When I went to look for my insurance I couldn't find the current card. I gave him the most recent one and he was able to look up the policy based on that. He let me off on a warning for both. Surprised a cop over reacted to a situation?

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 17, 2019

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Geez you guys have it tough needing all this paperwork. I got pulled over probably 10 years ago now and realised I didn't have my wallet on me so no license. Luckily I was able to recite my license number off the top of my head and the cop was able to go back to his car and check the details then just wave me on my way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, glad I'm not the only one. The recent one is still setting on my desk with probably ten expired in the glove box.

I keep it in my wallet because there's no glove box installed on my Vic. :downs:

Reminds me, I should print an updated one. In theory I can show them my phone with the proof of insurance, but gently caress if I'm handing a cop my unlocked cell phone for any reason.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 17, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How. How the gently caress is that Brat so clean. I don't understand.

Because it looks like it has under 400 miles on it. I'd love to buy that and start driving it everyday. :getin:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Because it looks like it has under 400 miles on it. I'd love to buy that and start driving it everyday. :getin:

Did you miss the 300 on the left side of the odometer?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

T-Square posted:

I remember several years ago Wisconsin made proof of insurance mandatory or something like that and everyone was making a huge deal out of it.

About 10-15 years ago, Ohio started sending out letters to the registered address of any vehicle with current registration, demanding proof of insurance. OR ELSE.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/susp-ins-random-selection.aspx

If you don't live at that address and don't get your mail regularly, say you're a college kid and your car is registered at mom and dad's house instead of your dorm room, you'll probably never get the letter and you'll get your license suspended. Even if you're all paid up. You'll only find out your license is suspended during your next chickenshit traffic stop. There's some exceptions for cars that are inoperable or stored, but you'll still actively need to respond to the state or you're getting hosed with a license suspension and all the joys of increased insurance premiums for the next 3 years.

I don't know if this program is still active, because I can't imagine a quarter of a million Ohioans going through this yearly without heads on pikes. If this isn't the most obvious example of open grift of the insurance industry over our legislature, I don't know what is.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1984-alfa-romeo-gtv6-7/?fbclid=IwAR1EvsWVlW8Ftx0BioU6LcLeiJww3jhWgIj6Dg5PdU3MI5o182nK8IXTIkk

Someone buy this.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Shai-Hulud posted:

Did you miss the 300 on the left side of the odometer?

Now that I'm on my computer and not looking at that picture through my phone, yes!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

oh my god.

:stare:

i want this like i want oxygen

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've been into Brats ever since I saw this:
https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=9473

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
How is this pickup truck the same size as a contemporary Camaro?

Is it lowered or something?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Trucks used to be good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aargh posted:

Geez you guys have it tough needing all this paperwork. I got pulled over probably 10 years ago now and realised I didn't have my wallet on me so no license. Luckily I was able to recite my license number off the top of my head and the cop was able to go back to his car and check the details then just wave me on my way.

Last time I got pulled over I didn't have my wallet, or pants on. I was breathalysed and passed, and the officer wrote me a thing I had to take down to a station the next day to show them my license. No penalty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wait what

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah... we're going to need more info on that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Memento posted:

Last time I got pulled over I didn't have my wallet, or pants on. I was breathalysed and passed, and the officer wrote me a thing I had to take down to a station the next day to show them my license. No penalty.

TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE: burying the lede

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

TEXTBOOK EXAMPLE: burying the lede

It's not nearly as fun as it sounds. I had spilled a cup of coffee on myself and pulled over to take my pants off to see if they were recoverable with the takeaway napkins etc I had with me in the car. They were not, so I continued on my journey without them. It was Sunday ~midday, and I was on my way to pick up my wallet, which I had left at a friend's place the previous night. I had enough change in the car to get myself a McDonald's drive through coffee, which I waited to be cool enough to drink, then promptly tipped all over myself.

Fun fact, it's not illegal to drive naked in Victoria, Australia. A dude was pulled over naked, and he was charged on summons with public nudity offences, then went to court and successfully argued that because he was in a car, you couldn't see his junk unless you walked up to the side of it and looked down through the window, which isn't expected behaviour.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Memento posted:

Fun fact, it's not illegal to drive naked in Victoria, Australia. A dude was pulled over naked, and he was charged on summons with public nudity offences, then went to court and successfully argued that because he was in a car, you couldn't see his junk unless you walked up to the side of it and looked down through the window, which isn't expected behaviour.

You got a link to the court case? Just for precedent, I've got some driving to get done this long weekend and it's meant to be pretty warm..

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

MetaJew posted:

Trucks used to be good.

Yep, and current-gen Camaros are ridiculously bloated. Here's a 2016 next to a 2015 Charger. The charger is a four-door full size sedan.

Sixth Gen Camaro:
Wheelbase 110.7 in (2,810 mm)
Length 188.3 in (4,780 mm)
Width 74.7 in (1,900 mm)
Height 53.1 in (1,350 mm)

Fifth-gen Toyota HiLux (if I'm guessing right):
Wheelbase Regular cab (long bed): 2,850 mm (112.2 in)
Length Regular cab (long bed): 4,724 mm (186.0 in)
Width 1,689 mm (66.5 in)
Height 1991–97 regular cab: 1,590 mm (62.6 in)

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 18, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

NoWake posted:

About 10-15 years ago, Ohio started sending out letters to the registered address of any vehicle with current registration, demanding proof of insurance. OR ELSE.

https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/susp-ins-random-selection.aspx

If you don't live at that address and don't get your mail regularly, say you're a college kid and your car is registered at mom and dad's house instead of your dorm room, you'll probably never get the letter and you'll get your license suspended. Even if you're all paid up. You'll only find out your license is suspended during your next chickenshit traffic stop. There's some exceptions for cars that are inoperable or stored, but you'll still actively need to respond to the state or you're getting hosed with a license suspension and all the joys of increased insurance premiums for the next 3 years.

I don't know if this program is still active, because I can't imagine a quarter of a million Ohioans going through this yearly without heads on pikes. If this isn't the most obvious example of open grift of the insurance industry over our legislature, I don't know what is.

what the gently caress??? that's absolutely disgusting

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MetaJew posted:

Trucks used to be good.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Memento posted:

It's not nearly as fun as it sounds. I had spilled a cup of coffee on myself and pulled over to take my pants off to see if they were recoverable with the takeaway napkins etc I had with me in the car. They were not, so I continued on my journey without them. It was Sunday ~midday, and I was on my way to pick up my wallet, which I had left at a friend's place the previous night. I had enough change in the car to get myself a McDonald's drive through coffee, which I waited to be cool enough to drink, then promptly tipped all over myself.

My friend got indecent exposure for riding as a passenger naked through a toll booth. I was technically naked at the time too but I had reasonably decided to cover my junk with my boxers when we went through the tolls. but you dont know that driving naked with the top down on your convertible is a glorious thing and you don't know what it's like until you've tried it.

Shut up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Aargh posted:

You got a link to the court case? Just for precedent, I've got some driving to get done this long weekend and it's meant to be pretty warm..

I can't find it and I'm worried either I fell victim to some proto mid-2000s Fake News, or that maybe I made it up out of whole cloth.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Memento posted:

I can't find it and I'm worried either I fell victim to some proto mid-2000s Fake News, or that maybe I made it up out of whole cloth.

Nah, you remebered it correctly. You might note that other people busted driving while nude have not been chared with offenses relating to this - BUT most of what you will find is that the driver is often drunk, already disqualified, on drugs etc and charged with offenses relating to that instead. It's actually a case that goes back further than the Interwebs.

Being nude and trying to chat up underage schoolgirls would certainly be a problem.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Liquid Communism posted:

Yep, and current-gen Camaros are ridiculously bloated. Here's a 2016 next to a 2015 Charger. The charger is a four-door full size sedan.

Game screenshot aside, it's not necessarily an easy comparison pic, is it?

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

MetaJew posted:

Trucks used to be good.

I used to drive one twenty years ago. They were small even then. The doors were paper thin and and a corolla hitting you sideways would kill you.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mr-Spain posted:

I used to drive one twenty years ago. They were small even then. The doors were paper thin and and a corolla hitting you sideways would kill you.

Safety wise, you're absolutely right, but practically and financially, the not-full-size truck is dead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yo, found this on Japanese twitter. It's a Dodge but a Dodge what? The rear lights are just the best...

:fap:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

it's a Dodge Why Isn't It In My Driveway :colbert:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Dodge Satellite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr-Spain posted:

But modern pickups are still woefully unsafe?