Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd rather have Hock because he's an amazing run blocker and helps both the run and the pass. But then again Kelce can't block for poo poo and he's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I caved and went ahead and got an athletic subscription because I wanted to check out that draft guide. This better be good, I hate acting like a degenerate sports junkie

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Play posted:

I caved and went ahead and got an athletic subscription because I wanted to check out that draft guide. This better be good, I hate acting like a degenerate sports junkie

It's very good.

Here's a Mahomes article that I posted that is behind a pay wall that is worth the read. Hell here's two.

https://theathletic.com/893572/2019...en-even-better/

https://theathletic.com/413296/2018/06/29/beyond-the-arm-patrick-mahomes-chiefs-intelligence-intangibles/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kiimo posted:

I'd rather have Hock because he's an amazing run blocker and helps both the run and the pass. But then again Kelce can't block for poo poo and he's pretty great.

I badly want Hock on the Packers, I think that particular combination of blocking capability and threat as a catcher is exactly what the Packers offense needs to explode.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I agree with you. If they just draft a wide receiver I feel like they'll be making a grave mistake. Rodgers is still the best QB in the league in my opinion and I think the Packers should be greatly feared when a moron isn't running the team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

I badly want Hock on the Packers, I think that particular combination of blocking capability and threat as a catcher is exactly what the Packers offense needs to explode.

The Packers absolutely have to ride Aaron Jones and the run game. We saw how awesome that run game was last year, but it could be even better. If they really unlock that, everything else in the passing game will come. And I think Hockenson has the potential to do that AND offer a legit receiving threat as well

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Play posted:

The Athletic is awesome in generally, you won't regret it

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The new DJ mock has Ed Oliver going 3 as an edge rusher.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1118177110806319105

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

I might die laughing if the Giants take Daniel Jones at 6 a year after passing on Darnold.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Diva Cupcake posted:

Oliver over Williams and Allen is interesting. Most mocks are anointing Murray, Bosa, Allen/Williams as the top 3.

I guess Oliver is in the Aaron Donald mold and teams are coming around on drafting undersized DTs since pass rush is king.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Diva Cupcake posted:

No no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Greedy @ 14

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Diva Cupcake posted:

Insanely good draft for Raiders

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Seahawks didn't trade down so this list is clearly invalid.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If anyone drafts Abram over Taylor Rapp as a SS or Abram over Adderly as a FS I mean just quit immediately.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I'm glad I got Elgton Jenkins at 68 in the goon mock :getin:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Slowpoke! posted:

Oliver over Williams and Allen is interesting. Most mocks are anointing Murray, Bosa, Allen/Williams as the top 3.

I guess Oliver is in the Aaron Donald mold and teams are coming around on drafting undersized DTs since pass rush is king.

To me Williams is a better player right now than Allen. Allen only has one real move, and when tackles take away the edge he gets washed out of the play constantly. Williams is legit. Oliver I really am not sure about yet, I can't make a decision.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Oliver doesn't deliver I think he'll be the biggest bust as far as pre-draft grades that I've ever seen. He's like A+ across the board.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

kiimo posted:

If Oliver doesn't deliver I think he'll be the biggest bust as far as pre-draft grades that I've ever seen. He's like A+ across the board.

I think it's quite possible that someone could gently caress up Oliver with a bad scheme fit.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I think it's quite possible that someone could gently caress up Oliver with a bad scheme fit.
Anywhere that would ask him to 2 gap.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

I would never suggest bust, I'm just unsure how good he'll actually be. Starter level is a given, but how much further is something I don't know yet

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

kiimo posted:

was vernon gholston like this?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Oliver's grades were pre-combine. Gholston wowed at the combine and tricked the Jets into drafting him. But the real answer is they didn't give number grades back then that they do now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There's a bit more mystery in this draft than there was last year. Last year the top team's needs were relatively clear, and the quarterbacks rankings essentially marked out where they were taken. This year the Cardinals could change the entire draft just by whether they draft Kyler or not at the first pick. Last year we knew the Browns, Bills, Jets and Cardinals were looking for a QB. This year we have no idea if teams like the Raiders, Bengals, Giants, Dolphins or Cardinals are actually going to take a QB or not. I think it'll make for a more interesting draft night.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
gotta imagine the raiders don't take a qb unless it's murray, right? but if they did hot drat

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

kiimo posted:

Oliver's grades were pre-combine. Gholston wowed at the combine and tricked the Jets into drafting him. But the real answer is they didn't give number grades back then that they do now.

Stephen Hill was a Combine guy with no actual production in college. Gholston at least produced. He set the OSU record for sacks and was all conference.

As it turns out he only had one bull rush maneuver and was a laughably bad fit for Rex Ryan’s 3-4. Whoops.

e: He still has the single season record over Joey Bosa.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 17, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Stephen Hill was a Combine guy with no actual production in college. Gholston at least produced. He set the OSU record for sacks and was all conference.

Hill had similar looking production to demaryius, he just didn't have as good a QB throwing to him as hard as that can be to imagine. He was looking great in Carolina until he got popped then blew out his knee.

Gholston got all of his sacks against like purdue.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

nerve posted:

gotta imagine the raiders don't take a qb unless it's murray, right? but if they did hot drat

Yeah I don't think they'll gently caress with the other options. But they're well positioned to move up or even stay and take him at 4 if the Cardinals end up passing on him. That very first pick will determine a lot about how things go from there.

Even beyond that, there is no clear consensus between Bosa/Allen/Oliver/Williams so those guys could end up going in basically any order. The top ranks of the tackles and O linemen are also pretty confused with people having a lot of different opinions (although most now seem to agree that Taylor is the top tackle in this draft).

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

nerve posted:

was vernon gholston like this?
I think Vernon had more negative feedback, but it was pretty much known that some team was going to take him very early anyhow.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Gholston got drafted solely because of beating Jake Long in one game and his combine. He was a terrible player

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Was Gholston a bigger bust than Aaron Curry?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

a neat cape posted:

He's the other guy I thought of

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I think Curry has to be the bigger bust.

Everybody thought Curry was a guaranteed all-pro.

The only debate was whether any 4-3 LB was worth taking that high.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

a neat cape posted:

Yes and it's not close. Curry at least put up some stats in his career, however poor it was. Gholston accounted for 3 TFL and 1 QB hit in 45 games played. He's an all time bad bust.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My favorite gholston stat was like the 8 million dollar bonus on his contract he'd get if he recovered a fumble. He never got it.

even if you flat out Do Not Care about football how the gently caress are you not just diving for the strip sack every single play?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

LiquidFriend posted:

Anywhere that would ask him to 2 gap.

Even more than that, I think. Not all 1-gap responsibilities are created equally, and a lot of teams still defend the run by having defensive tackles taking on blocks and playing pretty conservatively to let the linebackers flow to the ball. You could pretty well call it 1 1/2 gap if you wanted.

Oliver needs to go to a scheme and a sub-position where he can attack in pretty much every situation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gaines Adams was a more productive pass rusher than Vernon Gholston and he was traded and then died before his rookie contract was up.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Have we had Sean Bunting chat here yet? I can't figure out if draft pundits are watching the same player. Draft Network has him as their 20th ranked CB prospect with a late round grade, while Brugler has him as his 4th ranked CB prospect with a 1st-2nd round grade.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Gaines Adams was a more productive pass rusher than Vernon Gholston and he was traded and then died before his rookie contract was up.

No substitute for heart

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Jets made the AFCCCG twice with Gholston and then sucked when he left. Clearly, he was the heart of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Professor Funk posted:

Have we had Sean Bunting chat here yet? I can't figure out if draft pundits are watching the same player. Draft Network has him as their 20th ranked CB prospect with a late round grade, while Brugler has him as his 4th ranked CB prospect with a 1st-2nd round grade.

Shut up shut up shut up Bunting is just terrible and nobody should draft him before the Chiefs' second round pick.