Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

who will you take to Star Trek prom?

- Geordi ((blushes!!))
- Wesley crusher
- cat woman from TAS you drat furry
- Commander Sisko (single dad!)
- nog- soft baby
- dr Pulaski
- Seska
- neelix
- chancellor Martok

- Dax.

No, not that Dax. Not that one either. Or that one. I mean the one from Star Trek VI.

My only concern is that I'm a klutzy enough dancer that I'd probably be stepping on his feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I never played Bridge Commander, was it more than just a Star Trek flight sim? I feel like an X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter type game wouldn't really work that well in the ST universe. Less because it wouldn't be fun and more because I feel like that's not really what Star Trek is all about.

Star Trek Invasion for the original Playstation was exactly this, and you are right, it didn't have enough of a Star Trek feel. People were calling it Colony Worfs at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziI7M37W1oI

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I would date The Borg.

*doorbell rings*

WE ARE THE BORG. ACCEPT YOUR CORSAGE. WE WILL ENTER THE RENTED LIMO OUR GRANDMA PAID FOR. WE WILL HAVE YOU HOME BY 11PM AT THE LATEST. WE WILL GET TO SECOND BASE.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

Good luck getting it to run on Windows 10. Klingon Academy was coded with the blood of the wretched and the damned.

Indeed it was, but at least you can watch the many cutscenes edited together into what is essentially Star Trek 5 1/2: The Search For Gorkon's Gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVlSNP1jEI

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Re-watching the earliest TNG series it's funny to see Quark turn up as two Ferengi, to see Alaimo be a few aliens and even to see Gowron as a human.
I know DS9 brought people back because they liked them as actors but some parts (especially the Gowron one) are really short and I don't see how they'd have time to warm up to them!

TNG memory alpha gives you so much less information about episodes than the DS9 rundowns do.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The guys who play Quark and Rom play a lot of Ferengi on TNG - I assume it was because they'd shown they could act in the makeup, and they could probably reuse some of the prosthetics that had been molded for their faces, so it was easier to keep rehiring them than find another short actor who could play the part.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

The guys who play Quark and Rom play a lot of Ferengi on TNG - I assume it was because they'd shown they could act in the makeup, and they could probably reuse some of the prosthetics that had been molded for their faces, so it was easier to keep rehiring them than find another short actor who could play the part.

Max isn't until a lot later, Armin's right in there with big characters straight off the bat.
I'm just saying it's a shame that Memory Alpha doesn't give much info about why they keep getting picked where as in DS9 it goes all in with why J.G is used a load.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

They definitely did that with other actors.

quote:

In 1989, he went on to play another Benzite, "Mendon", awarding him the honor of being the first TNG guest star to play two separate characters from the same species. Though happy with being welcomed back to the show, Putch later understood there was an ulterior motive for his re-casting; "I was all very impressed by that. I thought, 'Ah, they love me, they love me.' What they really loved was that it was me, because they'd spent all that money on making that blue head and it was form fitted to me...I don't fault them for that. I would have done the same thing, but it's funny how you are naive about these things when you're just an actor."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I would date The Borg.

This was a Rick and Morty episode, both subtextually and literally.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Snow Cone Capone posted:

that's not really what Star Trek is all about.

While I mostly agree with this, both bridge commander and klingon academy had that whole diverting energy to shields, engines, support systems and a focus on engineering and ship systems that was kind of unique to those games, excepting x-wings similar but very simplistic engine/weapon/shield triangle. The pure combat certainly isn't very star trek, but at least yelling at your chief engineer to give it all she's got certainly is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Everyone in the Mirror Universe fucks so you can’t go wrong with that

Just watch out for backstabs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bohemian Nights posted:

While I mostly agree with this, both bridge commander and klingon academy had that whole diverting energy to shields, engines, support systems and a focus on engineering and ship systems that was kind of unique to those games, excepting x-wings similar but very simplistic engine/weapon/shield triangle. The pure combat certainly isn't very star trek, but at least yelling at your chief engineer to give it all she's got certainly is

FTL: Faster Than Light really is one of the most Star Trek games gameplay-wise.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1118550012584235009?s=21

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

McSpanky posted:

Indeed it was, but at least you can watch the many cutscenes edited together into what is essentially Star Trek 5 1/2: The Search For Gorkon's Gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVlSNP1jEI

I never played this game, but so far this is a really, really good movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has Discovery or Orville had an episode directed by Burton yet?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

MorgaineDax posted:

They definitely did that with other actors.

The funny thing with that guy is that he's basically playing the same character the second time. There's even a "you all look the same" joke from Wesley, kinda.
Easily the weirdest double use of the same actor.

It's nice he's directing both of the star trek series, Picard and Orville. Never heard of Discovery though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

The funny thing with that guy is that he's basically playing the same character the second time. There's even a "you all look the same" joke from Wesley, kinda.
Easily the weirdest double use of the same actor.

I liked that character, too. He had a fun plot where he had to learn to open his mouth when something weird happens.

It's too bad TNG was always so noncommital about side characters. I really liked Lycia Naff as Sonia Gomez (she spills chocolate milk on Picard in her first appearance). She made Geordi look like less of a goon. I think there were plans to make her and Geordi a thing, but then they dumped her after three appearances.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I liked that character, too. He had a fun plot where he had to learn to open his mouth when something weird happens.

It's too bad TNG was always so noncommital about side characters. I really liked Lycia Naff as Sonia Gomez (she spills chocolate milk on Picard in her first appearance). She made Geordi look like less of a goon. I think there were plans to make her and Geordi a thing, but then they dumped her after three appearances.

Two appearances. Not only that - they were one after the other!
On my rewatch of TNG any of the side characters like that have been the thing I'd forgotten about. There's quite a lot - not just the random chief engineer people - and I don't know why only Chief O'Brien manages to stick about.

I liked her because a sort of...dorky woman in the 80s was a lot rarer as a character and even after reading the memory alpha stuff I'm still not quite sure why they dropped her.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
WTF - I just found out there was a collectible card game that got blammed from existence back in January? Anyone know exactly what happened with adversaries?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Has Discovery or Orville had an episode directed by Burton yet?

No, and neither has Robert Duncan McNeil, the other prolific Trek actor-turned-director. Burton hasn’t done The Orville either. Last thing he directed was NCIS a couple years back.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

WTF - I just found out there was a collectible card game that got blammed from existence back in January? Anyone know exactly what happened with adversaries?

That reminds me, how was the original Trek CCG? I never played it but when I was younger I noticed that it tended to divide between people who played Magic the Gathering and the Star Wars CCG, and people who played Legend of the Five Rings and the Trek CCG.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That reminds me, how was the original Trek CCG? I never played it but when I was younger I noticed that it tended to divide between people who played Magic the Gathering and the Star Wars CCG, and people who played Legend of the Five Rings and the Trek CCG.

I never played it, but apparently there's enough of a fanbase for it that it has a quasi-official fan-based governing body called, in true Trek fashion, The Continuing Committee.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

No, and neither has Robert Duncan McNeil, the other prolific Trek actor-turned-director. Burton hasn’t done The Orville either. Last thing he directed was NCIS a couple years back.

I'm pretty sure Robert Duncan McNeil did a season one Orville

Edit: Yeah he did episode 2, Command Performance, where Ed and Kelly were abducted into an alien zoo.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm not sure who was the first to mention it in some offhand comment, but I'm now, for whatever reason, 100% committed to the idea of LeVar Burton replacing Alex Trebek on Jeopardy! I'm going to pretend his lack of recent directing is to prepare himself for that responsibility

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The original Trek CCG was...a loving mess. There's no resource system, no card count limit, and minimal interaction with the other player. Once they started releasing expansions it went downhill from there: optional side decks, sublocations, alternative timelines, alternate win conditions, and new card types. The game got worse and worse until they rebooted it and the Second Edition was, by all accounts, much better. By then, though, Decipher was dying and they barely made it to the Enterprise expansion before it got the axe.

It really, really does feel like Star Trek though. I miss that game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trying to play STCCG was a mess

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Playing the first version was a lot of fun if you got together with friends and treated it like a big nerdy party game with lots of house rules like "Red Alerts are always out" and stuff like that. But the best thing about Trek CCG that no other card game has had to my awareness is the spaceline, which made it feel like a crazy ad-hoc board game and gave the locations a sense of physical presence that most games of that type lack. The second edition was a technically better game but it wasn't nearly as interesting.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't forget Roxanne Dawson. She hasn't done any DISCO or Orville, and she's still directing.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

McSpanky posted:

Playing the first version was a lot of fun if you got together with friends and treated it like a big nerdy party game with lots of house rules like "Red Alerts are always out" and stuff like that. But the best thing about Trek CCG that no other card game has had to my awareness is the spaceline, which made it feel like a crazy ad-hoc board game and gave the locations a sense of physical presence that most games of that type lack. The second edition was a technically better game but it wasn't nearly as interesting.

To expand on this (in reverse): part of deck building is selecting six missions and some number (20? I think?) dilemmas. During setup you lay out your missions next to your opponent's missions to make a "spaceline," sort of a one-dimensional representation of an area of space. Moving along the spaceline uses the range of your ship. The goal of the game is to scoot up and down the spaceline and complete missions using the skills on your personnel to get points - but you also "seed" your dilemmas face-down under your opponent's missions. Dilemmas are like plot twists or b-plots from the show and can slow down or stop your mission completion. Each mission is worth 10-50 points; 100 points wins.

It really was Star Treks: The Card Game.

The game went quite batshit insane by the end; every faction, every past/future timeline and alternate universe character had a card and they had three different kinds of side decks and introduced the Borg who used a completely different set of rules and you could just spend your game walking around on different locations in Deep Space 9 and oh yeah here's a tribble-based side-game thing. You know how the worst kinds of Magic decks are the ones that just wait until they combo out and win? Imagine that but a hundred-fold and you have late-stage ST:CCG.

I wish I still had all of my physical cards because, as McSpanky said, it makes a great party-style game. Back in the day we played a variant with a floor-spanning two-dimensional spaceline and 500-card decks where we'd slug it out for galactic domination.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I think the main problem with STO and New Horizons is that taking exploration and discovery of the unknown and putting it into a game is difficult - you either create a scripted game that has x hours of content, or you attempt to make it procedural and end up with "diplomatic mission 2 only on a blue planet with Kingons instead of a pink planet with Romulans".

It's a lot easier to just make a combat game and change the number and type of ship you face, but that doesn't capture much of the essence of Star Trek.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My favorite part of the Star Trek CCG was it had crazy poo poo like missions that took place in the past and let you change the timeline - like the Borg could go back in time to stop First Contact, which required a whole bunch of special cards to pull off, but meant both players had to permanently discard any humans because Earth was now a Borg planet. Oh, except for time travelers and humans from alternate dimensions, obviously they wouldn't be affected.

Like, Magic might be a better game, but it didn't let you do poo poo like that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Has anyone posted this before? It's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNu1cdISsvY

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think the main problem with STO and New Horizons is that taking exploration and discovery of the unknown and putting it into a game is difficult - you either create a scripted game that has x hours of content, or you attempt to make it procedural and end up with "diplomatic mission 2 only on a blue planet with Kingons instead of a pink planet with Romulans".

It's a lot easier to just make a combat game and change the number and type of ship you face, but that doesn't capture much of the essence of Star Trek.

Well I can imagine a Star Trek game with combat and dialogue mechanics, but what about the third way Star Trek resolves problems, with technobabble? How do you have that as a game mechanic?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Does anyone know how the new picardy show is going to be distributed? Is it a netflix partnership again?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Well I can imagine a Star Trek game with combat and dialogue mechanics, but what about the third way Star Trek resolves problems, with technobabble? How do you have that as a game mechanic?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bohemian Nights posted:

This reminded me you could divert power from Sensors in Bridge Commander and it would actually severly affect your ability to target/see the positions of other ships on the scanners.

So of course naturally I kept doing this when using the Sovereign class because that ship apparently is always running at a power deficit on Red Alert like it's Ultraman the Starship.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I had a bunch of important poo poo to do today, but I did this instead.

https://twitter.com/jd_cohen/status/1118945056382181379

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I'm watching you, Quark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

vuk83 posted:

Does anyone know how the new picardy show is going to be distributed? Is it a netflix partnership again?

Related CBS has been an Australian tv station and brought their All Access thing here so I'm not looking forward to them locking Trek behind it here.