Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Someone want to tell me again why Pelosi ISN'T worthless?

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1118507919631355904
Pretty much everyone replying to this post is making the point that Pelosi is actually right about this, and while she is right that the Mueller report's impact on the electorate will not be all that great, I'll just point out that when centrists talk about "kitchen table issues" what they usually mean is "poo poo the GOP wanted ten years ago."

I mean she's not going to bat for GND or M4A, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
While the voter in the street doesn't care about the Mueller report unless it has sex in it, the Democrats need to or else they will never win another election as the Republicans realize they can cheat, cheat, cheat without consequences.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Need more headlines like "Republicans in a frenzy that public opinion on Trump didn't change with release of Barr Memo"

or...

"Very mad conservative activists unable to grasp why liberals haven't abandoned Ilhan after they called her mean names"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm more a fan of the simultaneous outrage at their hateful religious beliefs being cited as a reason not to do business with them and at not being allowed to cite their hateful religious beliefs as a reason why they won't do business with someone.

"We totally don't hate gays, we just hate the sin. Oh, it's really really important that we are allowed to oppress them though. We won't. But we need to be able to. Although we won't."

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

BarbarianElephant posted:

While the voter in the street doesn't care about the Mueller report unless it has sex in it, the Democrats need to or else they will never win another election as the Republicans realize they can cheat, cheat, cheat without consequences.

This is very weird to me. It was a constant drum beat while the investigation was in progress, the whole focus of the #resistance crew, all sorts of people were drawing cartoons of Mueller in a superman suit and posting edited clips of Mueller arresting everyone associated with Trump.

Then there's some resistance to releasing the report and all of a sudden it's like "eh who cares?" What? Why play it up when it's far away and incomplete and then downplay it when it actually exists? What's that strategy?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

That literally looks straight off Weekend Update

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

^burtle posted:

Video of Kraft getting a handy is considered lukewarm internet content at this point.

I look forward to the day when elections are determined based on who has the best sex tape.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Peterson decided to debate a guy with this kind of energy.

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1118476534480695296?s=19

This is the finest description of Zizek I've ever seen.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

pseudanonymous posted:

It's kind of sad tbh, I think long term incarceration kind of makes you crazy, even when it's as hands-off as skateboarding around an embassy with a cat.

Not that I'm any fan of Putin's stooge, but I think it points out how hosed up the prison system is when it does this kind of thing to people.

Hiding from the police to avoid a rape charge is not incarceration hth

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

This is very weird to me. It was a constant drum beat while the investigation was in progress, the whole focus of the #resistance crew, all sorts of people were drawing cartoons of Mueller in a superman suit and posting edited clips of Mueller arresting everyone associated with Trump.

Then there's some resistance to releasing the report and all of a sudden it's like "eh who cares?" What? Why play it up when it's far away and incomplete and then downplay it when it actually exists? What's that strategy?

I think they are actually trying to say that statistically no one ever cared about the Mueller report.

To the vocal minority it matters A LOT.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Does anyone really want to see a video of an ugly old pervert getting off? Is that a recognised fetish?

Have you been on the internet? Everything's a fetish

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

About what, in particular, did you think he had the right idea about?

I used to think 'Letter to a Christian Nation' was really good, and for that dark period I was also on the train of 'religion is a poison, we'd be better off if everyone was an atheist', and I used to troll people on the religious boards on Reddit. As for his uglier stuff about Muslims, I just ignored it as a 'bad opinion' and refused to see that it was pretty integral to his public ideals.

After about a year of that and just getting away from the echo chamber, I mellowed out considerably. I'm still proud to be an atheist, but people like Harris and Dawkins do more damage to the image of atheists and atheism that people would like to admit, and the fact that their space is shrinking just makes them more vocal to fight for a place in the market of ideals.

As I said before, I'm deeply ashamed of how I acted in those days, and I at least try to be positive about my non-belief to make up for it.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

twice burned ice posted:

Just a reminder that the Zizek Peterson debate is this Friday.

That's like Godzilla vs Bambi level mismatch.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1118574646528442368?s=19

This is such a dumb attempt at ratfucking, holy poo poo really?

"Apologize and grovel to my special friend or you can't talk to the coal miners!"

Is this loving grade school? :psyboom:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah the Mueller report won’t shift opinion in “America” but the Dems’ choice of response is going to have serious effects on their “ground game”. In my town I would see protestors at the bottleneck curve agitating at every turn in the special investigation. If Barr releases a document that’s more black bars than text and the Democrats just shrug, then they’ll lose big in terms of people willing to volunteer in 2020.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Zizek is a creepy wierdo but I also wouldn't debate him on economic theory.

Petersen is a creepy wierdo but also very stupid.

Of course like most oral debates whomever you went in wanting to win has won anyway.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah the Mueller report won’t shift opinion in “America” but the Dems’ choice of response is going to have serious effects on their “ground game”. In my town I would see protestors at the bottleneck curve agitating at every turn in the special investigation. If Barr releases a document that’s more black bars than text and the Democrats just shrug, then they’ll lose big in terms of people willing to volunteer in 2020.

the dems are gonna still push for a the full report, i think want pelosi and others mean is its not gonna be some central pillar of the 2020 campaign. i feel like at some point the full report will come out one way or another.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
One day, long long ago, I got to open up the newspaper and read how the leader of our country inserted cigars into his interns hoo ha. The whole report just printed in every major newspaper. They even sold it as a bound book in stores. Not one redaction.

Don't know why I keep thinking about that lately.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

Of course like most oral debates whomever you went in wanting to win has won anyway.

What's the dirt on Zizek? Why creepy?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Skex posted:

That's like Godzilla vs Bambi level mismatch.

Completely agree.

Nothing says as much about the current tragic state of the world, that this is probably going to be this decades version of the Foucault Chomsky debate. Which is hilarious for how two incredible minds managed to sit in the same room and have incredible advanced monologues, completely unrelated to each other. Pretty sure Peterson Zizek will be the exact opposite.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 17, 2019

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Casey Finnigan posted:

A wrapped present is more exciting than the disappointing toy inside.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

twice burned ice posted:

Peterson challenged Zizek to a debate on Marxism, and for some reason Zizek decided that this is not a humongous waste of time.

The topic of the debate is: Happiness: Capitalism vs. Marxism

It's sure to be absolutely god awful. I can't wait.

Wasn't that a Chapo Trap House bit?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the dems are gonna still push for a the full report, i think want pelosi and others mean is its not gonna be some central pillar of the 2020 campaign. i feel like at some point the full report will come out one way or another.

Fine, but I would really like to know what "kitchen table issues" she's referring to. I'm also curious - if the view is that people are more responsive to those issues and will focus on them to a greater degree than the Mueller report... then why was the Mueller report entirely dominating the discussion of Trump for so long?

Trying to run in 2020 only on the Mueller report would mean a definite loss, and they shouldn't do it, and I never thought the Mueller report would lead to more consequences than it has (lackeys ended up getting relatively mild sentences). But what the hell is this 180? If the Mueller report is unimportant, then why was it essentially the centerpiece of opposition to Trump up until now? If the kitchen table issues are more important, where were they? What are they?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Lycus posted:

Wasn't that a Chapo Trap House bit?

I don't listen to Chapo, so I don't know. I do know that the debate is actually happening.

Unfortunately the live stream will be $15, so unless you have a gaggle of nerds to watch with, it's probably not worth it.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Completely agree.

Nothing says as much about the current tragic state of the world, that this is probably going to be this decades version of the Foucault Chomsky debate. Which is hilarious for how two incredible minds managed to sit in the same room and have incredible advanced monologues, completely unrelated to each other. Pretty sure Peterson Zizek will be the exact opposite.

The first I'd ever heard of Zizek was him giving a speech about the ideology of toilets and what their designs said about the cultures they were used in, it was one of the most amazing things ever.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wistful of Dollars posted:

This is the finest description of Zizek I've ever seen.

Yeah I want to make sure I remember that one because it hits all the notes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kidkissinger posted:

What's the dirt on Zizek? Why creepy?

From what I've read, sexual harasser at the least of it. Not sure if full on assault.

Also has bad opinions on transgender people and some other poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jaxyon posted:

From what I've read, sexual harasser at the least of it. Not sure if full on assault.

he doesn't like muslims or refugees either apparently. he jerks off to accelerationism a ton.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Fixing "Kitchen table" issues isn't going to happen if Democrats lose the election due to more rampant Republican cheating.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Jaxyon posted:

Well even if you don't know anything about him he looks like Pigpen from Charlie Brown and talks like a garbage bag full of phlegm so he does have that working against him as well.

I believe he will make Jordan Peterson look very stupid though, not like that's hard.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Slavoj might be a bombastic, goony slob with no discernible motivations and lots of weird opinions, but he's also very very smart.

Also he's doing more than most theorists to rescue the idea of communism, which is a very important pursuit IMO. So I tend to give him leeway when he wants to share his thoughts on toilets and Batman movies.

Edit: I think he's not so much "anti-immigrant" as "look around, do you think this is going to end well?"

mdemone fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 17, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Also he broke the half plus 7 rule for relationships.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Put me in the ground because I am dead.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FizFashizzle posted:

Looks like Hangover 4. Dude looks like he had one hell of a fuckin night; hungover, black eyes, couldn't even bother to brush his hair and his wife is just happy to be there because her character was not fleshed out and was a macguffin for the plot.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

mdemone posted:

Slavoj might be a bombastic, goony slob with no discernible motivations and lots of weird opinions, but he's also very very smart.

Also he's doing more than most theorists to rescue the idea of communism, which is a very important pursuit IMO. So I tend to give him leeway when he wants to share his thoughts on toilets and Batman movies.

Edit: I think he's not so much "anti-immigrant" as "look around, do you think this is going to end well?"

Eh, I have no tolerance for transphobia and sexual harrassment, even if it comes from the brilliant mind behind poo poo like "the hand is the sex instrument par excellence" and "Germans like to examine their turds".

His constant rambling about bullshit does kind of make me consider him not a very serious thinker. The guy is smart, he should stop acting like the philosophy version of Vice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Casey Finnigan posted:

Eh, I have no tolerance for transphobia and sexual harrassment, even if it comes from the brilliant mind behind poo poo like "the hand is the sex instrument par excellence" and "Germans like to examine their turds".

His constant rambling about bullshit does kind of make me consider him not a very serious thinker. The guy is smart, he should stop acting like the philosophy version of Vice.

Absolutely agreed. See, I came to his work through the hard-philosophy books, he really is excellent on dialectical materialism etc. and his project of reading Hegel through Lacan is, I think, one of the more useful moves available to theory right now.

But you are correct that he wastes a lot of his time and thought these days. Maybe try reading In Defense of Lost Causes, it's very theory-oriented but also accessibly written.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1118607058977189889

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Well this should be fun

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Didnt he say he was going to withdraw a few days ago? Did something happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

Well this should be fun

It's you and me,
I know it's my destiny!