Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, they brought in new leadership who solved that and got them on an even keel again. They have experience in this crap sandwich now.

This provides more detail, but the gist of it is - Charlie Krank mismanaged the company, Greg Stafford and Sandy Petersen took control away from him, then they gave control over to a group of much more experienced businessmen who have since managed the company infinitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kaza42 posted:

This looks exactly my jam, and I have backed it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I tried to run a multi-century Vampire: the Requiem game once and it remains one of my "Really want to try this again" games

They fact that they haven't completely exploded their scope with stretch goals, and have basically said "We're not adding anything else", gives me a lot of faith.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was pretty tempted to drop $100 on the Vampire legacy game despite the high price tag and 'yeah I guess I should play Gloomhaven more instead' issue, but honestly the gameplay video by Rahdo didn't look super engaging to me.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

CottonWolf posted:

They fact that they haven't completely exploded their scope with stretch goals, and have basically said "We're not adding anything else", gives me a lot of faith.

This impressed me too. They have a two week run kickstarter with only a few quality-of-life stretch goals and aren't adding in new expansions or game modes despite pestering. It's giving me confidence this could actually meet its release date.

Sinteres posted:

I was pretty tempted to drop $100 on the Vampire legacy game despite the high price tag and 'yeah I guess I should play Gloomhaven more instead' issue, but honestly the gameplay video by Rahdo didn't look super engaging to me.

I'm getting burned out on Gloomhaven, so was just thinking it'd be nice to find something new so it came along at the perfect time for me. The Rahdo video looked okay, but I really want to see what the legacy mechanics do long term. If they can get the game to change organically over time I'll be happy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

I'm getting burned out on Gloomhaven, so was just thinking it'd be nice to find something new so it came along at the perfect time for me. The Rahdo video looked okay, but I really want to see what the legacy mechanics do long term. If they can get the game to change organically over time I'll be happy.

There's a fair chance my negative reaction was just based on having unrealistic expectations (based on the IP being from a story-heavy RPG) for how much storytelling they can shove into a board game, but to the extent that there is a story there, it's going to be mostly in the legacy stuff, so I'd be interested in learning more about that too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so, the Stug didn't fund. Roughly 10k short of the goal. drat. Shortly before the end of the kickstarter, Mark posted a request to backers. I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks in this thread about it:

quote:

THIS IS A BACKER ONLY UPDATE

I tend to be a dreamer, but I am also a pragmatist. I know that this campaign likely is too far from its goal to make up the ground that needs to be made within the time we have. I am still holding out hope but I need your help planning if we cannot get that final funding.

I know, that within Kickstarter there is a tendency to not want to be associated with a campaign that does not fund. There may be an urge to jump ship in the last hours.

I am asking that you stay in and stay funded.

I will ride this campaign to its completion rather than cancel out the project early. You never know, it's a long shot but I am here for the duration.

The reason I am asking you to stay in and freeze your funding, is that if this does not fund, it makes a difference for the next campaign. We have come a very long way to funding this and although it is falling short, having it fall at 80% is better optics for the next offering than if it failed at 20% funded. Even failures (especially when this close to the funding goals) can help provide confidence.

So please, stick around… You are not going to be charged for your pledged support if the campaign does not fund and I would love your feedback and general input on the next step.

The second reason; it may be possible to re-launch. (working on the assumption that this does not fund) I would need to do this very shortly after this campaign ends so as not to completely waste the advertising invested, now that eyes are on the project.

What would a relaunch look like?

I have two options available, both of which I want your feedback on.

1) I can lower the cost per kit. The funding required will have to go up but the per unit cost would go down. Essentially, we are attempting to spread the fixed costs of the tooling over a wider audience. Perhaps picking up more backers as we move closer to an impulse-buy or a fantastic deal when the kit cost is compared to other kits in the market.

Most of the costs for this campaign are tied up in paying for the tools… Printing more kits is a lesser expense comparatively. The MSRP on the kit would stay the same. It may be possible to get the kit down the the $30.00 level and not increase the total funding needed outside of the realm of reason.

Why did I not do that in the first place? Judgement call, I knew we would have a limited customer base (looking at my past Kickstarters and the survey) and there is simply no way for me to know if other factors such as perceived value would drive the numbers I needed in total backers or not. I still don't know... I just know this kit is a solid design and one that really needs to find its way to your collection.

2) I can re-launch as a resin kit. The cost per kit would go down, the cost of shipping would go up, they would not be as durable, but they would be far easier to assemble. (less parts) There is no tooling cost hurdle to meet. I could literally list the funding goal at the cost of a single kit, and we would be front page on KS funded in a day without shenanigans in funding goal fudging. The casters give me a per kit price that does not shift based on volume… It is what it is, pricing, rubber tooling is already included in the per kit price they give.

What do you think?

Re-launch or no?

Plastic or resin?

If you have another options or directions, I am open for discussion, just a brain storming session between you, me and 428 other friends :)

Whatever I do, I need your feedback. If this campaign does not fund, I need to be heading that direction as soon as I possibly can.

Thank you for backing, thank you for helping me get the word out!

I saw many posts by all of you and I have no doubt you are the ones who got us from 60% to 80% funded over the last couple of days.

Thank you again!

Mark

Personally, I think going straight for a single vehicle-based kickstarter wasn't a good idea, and that he should probably start with either the stug AND some sort of infantry to back(which would also raise the base cost of the kickstarter unfortunately due to mold costs), or just start back into the KS game after such a long hiatus with the Shadokesh that he has posted teasers for for so long, which are sort of necron-eldar-tyranid/xenomorph aliens and they look extremely cool. Multipose infantry have a much bigger draw than singular vehicles, imo.

I know it says backer only update, but the KS is over and this subforum is one of the best I've ever visited for detailed, thoughtful traditional games talk, so I figured it'd be worth picking some brains here about it too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A single vehicle's useless except as a conversion piece without a line to support it. I like his sculpts, but don't really have a use case for them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does anyone have anything that helps explain Lancer for a group that has only previously used DnD 5e and Heroquest?

I love the setting, the idea and the whole set up but I also know my players will bounce off of it really hard unless I can explain it in a way they are used to, can anyone provide advice? Thanks!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Lancer is a d20 mech adventure game that has a slight spin on Advantage/Disadvantage and it's pretty easy to build a "magic user" who can hold their own in a brawl or a fighter with access to magic. You get to build your own mechs that look like whatever you want, here are some sample pictures, and you don't have to worry about tracking XP. Plus nobody has to worry about money and you get early access to rocket pods and shotguns."? Like you gotta show them the art, definitely.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Dungeons & Dragons cat adventures by the guys who also made the dogs! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-tales-of-cats-and-catacombs

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

Does anyone have anything that helps explain Lancer for a group that has only previously used DnD 5e and Heroquest?

I love the setting, the idea and the whole set up but I also know my players will bounce off of it really hard unless I can explain it in a way they are used to, can anyone provide advice? Thanks!

I mean, it's fundamentally a sales pitch. Start with a good compact elevator pitch (something along the lines of what Hostile V said) and then expand on those points. In particular, be sure that you show off the great art and mech writeups, since that does most of the selling for the setting.

Beyond that, you'll want to keep your pitch focused mostly on what the game experience will do for them that other game experiences wont. For instance, you'll want to highlight ways that D&D 5 combat is boring and the ways Lancer's combat is better.

Oh, and make sure that you wrap things up with a concrete plan that you can get them to agree to. Eg, "After we finish up game X, I want to run a Lancer one-shot with pregen characters." If they put you off, be sure to follow up at the next polite opportunity.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Josef bugman posted:

D&D but with cool robots.

If that isn't enough, and you think your players will bounce off Hard then it just might not be in the cards for this play group.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Captain Invictus posted:

so, the Stug didn't fund. Roughly 10k short of the goal. drat. Shortly before the end of the kickstarter, Mark posted a request to backers. I thought it might be interesting to hear from folks in this thread about it:

The StuG was cool, but limited in its usefulness.

Keeping with his SciFi 3rd Reich theme, retro-future armed civilians would work for both resistance fighters and VS volunteers.

More importantly, they would be useful for stuff like Shadowrun, Fallout, or even Star Wars. It's a vacancy at the moment, since nobody's producing them in 32mm. And if they have trenchcoats you'll probably get the Firefly people money.

The STL buildings were also fantastic and universal, but one of the packages was just described as "accessories" and was sort of a mystery what your $20 would produce. I'd emphasize those more and at least get some concept art out there. He mentioned mailboxes, signs, and lampposts, which are things any miniatures gamer with a 3d printer would want.

Launching the alien race shouldn't be an afterthought, and I think he wanted to act swiftly to keep momentum.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Re: Stug Vehicle

I wondered why there weren't any other weapon options? Designing weapons isnt terribly hard and opens up your market greatly. Also, what game systems could you use it with?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372651021/kingdom-rush-rift-in-time/posts/2481601

Some poo poo going down about the kingdom rush rift in time kickstarter

Backers are frustrated that the creators are continuing to inflate the price of going all-in on what looks like a relatively lightweight co-op game. They're inflating the price by adding more characters and gameplay as individual add-ons and whether you think that's a dumb thing to get frustrated about or not, there was this one comment from the creators that I got a big laugh out of.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/372651021/kingdom-rush-rift-in-time/posts/2481601

Some poo poo going down about the kingdom rush rift in time kickstarter

Backers are frustrated that the creators are continuing to inflate the price of going all-in on what looks like a relatively lightweight co-op game. They're inflating the price by adding more characters and gameplay as individual add-ons and whether you think that's a dumb thing to get frustrated about or not, there was this one comment from the creators that I got a big laugh out of.

I'm probably going to drop out as well. Just this week there were other KS campaigns for expansions to game I own like Terraforming Mars, Maximum Apocalypse, and Anachrony, so I'm going to be stretched thin. I was hoping Kingdom Rush would max out at around $100, but it's ballooning up too much. They should have just launched the basic amount of content (with appropriate stretch goals) and then a year from now had a separate campaign for expansions and reprint.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How is Maximum Apocalypse? I've been kind of interested in it for a while.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Of minor interest, the next Savage Rifts KS went live a while ago and was funded in seven minutes. I'm a little leery of one of the books as it focuses on the CS, but it's not clear if it's 'bold defenders of humanity despite the genocidal racism' or 'here are more targets.'

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Dawgstar posted:

was funded in seven minutes.

The ask was for less than for the Fellowship kickstarter.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I'm probably going to drop out as well. Just this week there were other KS campaigns for expansions to game I own like Terraforming Mars, Maximum Apocalypse, and Anachrony, so I'm going to be stretched thin. I was hoping Kingdom Rush would max out at around $100, but it's ballooning up too much. They should have just launched the basic amount of content (with appropriate stretch goals) and then a year from now had a separate campaign for expansions and reprint.

I think it's pretty reasonable to back out of campaigns where it feels like the creators are getting greedy trying to capitalize on people's FOMO before they even get to try the base game. I don't make it to the table as often as most posters, but personally I've never really regretted passing on a game for very long, but have regretted backing something I went in on because of FOMO, so erring on the side of 'gently caress this escalating money sink' seems like a good thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thanks everyone!

Main problem is more that we, as a group, aren't particularly good at doing the whole Min/Max, working out systems, stuff that you kind of need in games like Lancer. We are much better out in character stuff and running new ideas past each other.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Captain Invictus posted:

Personally, I think going straight for a single vehicle-based kickstarter wasn't a good idea, and that he should probably start with either the stug AND some sort of infantry to back(which would also raise the base cost of the kickstarter unfortunately due to mold costs), or just start back into the KS game after such a long hiatus with the Shadokesh that he has posted teasers for for so long, which are sort of necron-eldar-tyranid/xenomorph aliens and they look extremely cool. Multipose infantry have a much bigger draw than singular vehicles, imo.

I know it says backer only update, but the KS is over and this subforum is one of the best I've ever visited for detailed, thoughtful traditional games talk, so I figured it'd be worth picking some brains here about it too.

It wasn't a kit I was interested in regardless of how nice it was. I don't need a random tank of that design.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book

quote:

An epic adventure book for 5E. Blends classic fantasy with Greek mythology. From the lead designer of Baldur's Gate I & II and KOTOR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcanumworlds/odyssey-of-the-dragonlords-5th-edition-adventure-b/

quote:

If you've been following this project already, then you know that we've released the Player's Guide to Odyssey of the Dragonlords for FREE on DriveThruRPG.com. This 32-page booklet provides players with a starting point for their journey into the lands of Thylea. It contains all the information you need to create your character.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267073/Odyssey-of-the-Dragonlords-Players-Guide

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's really good, and the "ultimate collection" just dropped with minis and all the (current) expansions.

Definitely a good co-op to have.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

Thanks everyone!

Main problem is more that we, as a group, aren't particularly good at doing the whole Min/Max, working out systems, stuff that you kind of need in games like Lancer. We are much better out in character stuff and running new ideas past each other.

For what it's worth I think Lancer is currently at a point where Min/Maxing is a thing you can do but not a thing you need to do, if that makes any sense. It's a bit like 4E D&D in that you can just say "I want to be this class because it looks cool" and even if the party ranger is reading Charop guides in their spare time you aren't going to fall into the "why am I even playing this game?" dilemma (unless you play a Binder, don't play a Binder).

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Yeah, there are some things you can do that do a lot more damage or whatever, but generally picking talents that work with the sorts of things you want your mech to do is enough to be just fine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

For what it's worth I think Lancer is currently at a point where Min/Maxing is a thing you can do but not a thing you need to do, if that makes any sense. It's a bit like 4E D&D in that you can just say "I want to be this class because it looks cool" and even if the party ranger is reading Charop guides in their spare time you aren't going to fall into the "why am I even playing this game?" dilemma (unless you play a Binder, don't play a Binder).

I more mean we are in the situation where, when trying to fight an Ulithirid our rogue continually tried to launch attack on our own barbarian (who was Mind Controlled) by throwing items at them instead of trying to beat the hell out of the big squid faced gently caress.

We don't do well in combat is my point.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like the game, but will not back this Kickstarter
The miniatures look awful, they just don't do it for me.
The last expansion already came with a box that fits the base game and all previous expansions.

About the game itself; it is a bit too unwieldy and long to be a filler game, but one scenario is too light to take up your whole evening.
If you have a shorter gamenight, want to play multiple scenarios or don't mind longer filler games I can recommend it.
You get tense situations of a team holding out, helping each other and rushing for the goal and every class feels unique.
It includes multiple apocalypses and they all feel different too, which keeps it fresh. I don't recommend combining them, since it takes away their unique points.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

I'm glad it's trending that way. I liked in 4E if I paid bare minimum to what stuff powers keyed off of (say, 'I am a TacLord and this power uses INT') then I was fine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's definitely a lot more complicated to build a character for than 4E, though, since it's far from just being "pick subclass, allocate corresponding stats."

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Adding other Vital games to the On Mars KS costs almost double their KS prices.

Escape plan KSed for $79, as an add on to OM it’s $140

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Adding other Vital games to the On Mars KS costs almost double their KS prices.

Escape plan KSed for $79, as an add on to OM it’s $140

Eagle Gryphon are a weird company.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It makes a little bit of sense for Escape Plan, since it's ludicrously expensive on the secondary market, but even games like The Gallerist have a twenty dollar markup from the Amazon price, shipping not included.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maquis is a fun (but hard) single-player worker placement game that's been pretty successful as a print-and-play. I like that all the stretch goals on this are just for improving the game components, and that they're not doing expansions or anything. Just $24 for the game and that's it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

pospysyl posted:

It makes a little bit of sense for Escape Plan, since it's ludicrously expensive on the secondary market, but even games like The Gallerist have a twenty dollar markup from the Amazon price, shipping not included.

Are the copies on Amazon the Kickstarter editions?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I backed the Vampire board game. Oddly what pushed me over the top was the cards coming pre-sleeved.

Also it's very impressive they are firmly sticking to their stretch goals and not adding a bunch of crap on top of it.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I was interested in the Vampire game too, but what turned me off was how little explanation there is for the legacy aspects. On a BBG thread, the designer of the game was incredulous that people were complaining seeing as, "I've explained quite many times how the Legacy aspect of the game works on various different platforms and social media." If I have to go on websites other than your KS page to understand your game, I don't want any part of it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I actually backed it, but there's not much benefit to the Kickstarter over buying it at retail for this one regardless unless you really want the better deal on the addons.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CMON's Bloodborne: The Board Game is live. $90 for first day Early Bird, $100 otherwise.
Of course, you know it's going to balloon up with add-ons, so prepare (for your wallet) to die.

This should be a lot better than the Dark Souls Board Game, since it has Eric Lang behind it and they've had years to learn from that game's mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blood on the Clocktower is in its final 30-ish hours.