Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

why would you use a stolen car for doing crimes, wouldn't you get immediately flagged whenever anyone ran the plates? or are they just trying to do crimes before the cars are reported stolen?

easiest way to get a car that’s not easily traced to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

why would you use a stolen car for doing crimes, wouldn't you get immediately flagged whenever anyone ran the plates? or are they just trying to do crimes before the cars are reported stolen?

how often do you think people are "running the plates" on regular cars in traffic?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

it's not a terribly smart idea to use a getaway vehicle that's registered to you

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

how often do you think people are "running the plates" on regular cars in traffic?

oh right not everyone is from florida, here that happens constantly. especially at night, cops will follow you around pretty close for a few minutes and you can see them typing stuff in to their laptop, then they'll pass you and do it to the next guy, over and over moving up the line. i talked to a retired cop from new york city once who moved down here and he said that's probably what they're doing and that florida cops "gently caress with you endlessly like that, i can't believe how different it is down here"

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
you can also just strip the car for parts

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

oh right not everyone is from florida, here that happens constantly. especially at night, cops will follow you around pretty close for a few minutes and you can see them typing stuff in to their laptop, then they'll pass you and do it to the next guy, over and over moving up the line. i talked to a retired cop from new york city once who moved down here and he said that's probably what they're doing and that florida cops "gently caress with you endlessly like that, i can't believe how different it is down here"

surely you are smart enough to understand that this means they aren't touching or checking the vast majority of the cars on the road at any one time, much less the few hours between stealing the car specifically do another crime and then ditching it?

keep in mind part of the benefit of hacking this app to steal the cars is that the car also won't have any obvious damage from more "traditional" methods of stealing a car, so it'll be less visible as a target to the cops

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Shame Boy posted:

any particular reason they don’t use cameras & automatic number plate recognition?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
those car share cars are almost as invisible as taxis are.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cerv posted:

any particular reason they don’t use cameras & automatic number plate recognition?

those systems mostly matter for billing tolls or for proof of where a car was sighted after the fact.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

surely you are smart enough to understand that this means they aren't touching or checking the vast majority of the cars on the road at any one time, much less the few hours between stealing the car specifically do another crime and then ditching it?

keep in mind part of the benefit of hacking this app to steal the cars is that the car also won't have any obvious damage from more "traditional" methods of stealing a car, so it'll be less visible as a target to the cops

so to answer my question, "yes they try to do the crime quickly"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol the car2go rollout in chicago included actual benzes????? when they tried doing it here they only had dinky Smarts

also regarding plate recognition, most competent jurisdictions have gone to license plates that can be read with automated scanners. not image recognition either. the plates are made with some kind of coating or reflective crap that can be passively scanned by a cheapo sensor on a cop car

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cerv posted:

i vaguely remember news about the cops here testing out one of those systems for use on patrol cars a while ago but i'm not sure what happened with that

florida is all about giving the police infinity money at the expense of literally everything else because it's the only thing old people care about so i wouldn't be surprised

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the cops here some of them have those but it must only work at low speed as they just cycle parking lots and things looking for hits

but you’re already committing a crime so hey why not

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

so to answer my question, "yes they try to do the crime quickly"

well its not like there's much point to stealing your getaway car months in advance or anything

your hodgepodge of donutchuggers randomly picking cars to follow still ain't going to be an effective dragnet against stolen vehicles

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Partycat posted:

the cops here some of them have those but it must only work at low speed as they just cycle parking lots and things looking for hits

but you’re already committing a crime so hey why not

i got doinked with a "you don't have current tabs on your vehicle" fine a few years ago because i had bought the tabs but forgot to put them on the vehicle. i also lived in poorer neighborhood where we all had to park on the street, which i'm sure has no statistical correlation to why the cops gave me a ticket versus giving a ticket for the same issue to someone in a rich neighborhood

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Don't all those cars have GPS installed so that they can just tell the cops where to go and find the stolen cars?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Janitor Prime posted:

Don't all those cars have GPS installed so that they can just tell the cops where to go and find the stolen cars?

by the time they're reported stolen it probably is irrelevant

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol the car2go rollout in chicago included actual benzes????? when they tried doing it here they only had dinky Smarts

here in vancouver they're a combination of mercs and smarts

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Stolen cars are used for crimes all the time because contrary to popular belief cops don't give a gently caress about people stealing your poo poo

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

looks at this guy, smoking crack and barfing in his own car like a scrub smh

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I don't want to know what weird place you live in that police follow you to check plates at night because that would be terrifying.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

I don't want to know what weird place you live in that police follow you to check plates at night because that would be terrifying.

what if your car is registered to a name that doesn’t sound white? cops are going to miss murdering innocent civilians at night if they don’t run the plates

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Celexi posted:

Welcome to America.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Celexi posted:

It's Florida

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cerv posted:

my employer produces those, among other things.

They're still expensive and require data access so many police forces have only a few car running with them at any given time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
stolen vehicles arent even required to be entered

https://tlets.dps.texas.gov/omnixx5/documents/NCIC.OP/Vehicle.htm

ama about what the media calls 'police databases'

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

my employer produces those, among other things.

They're still expensive and require data access so many police forces have only a few car running with them at any given time.

Pigs out of YOSPOS.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Hackers release dump of a Police Database :siren:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol the car2go rollout in chicago included actual benzes????? when they tried doing it here they only had dinky Smartsf
Holy poo poo, loving Car2Go.

Ze Germans had absolutely no idea how to run a car sharing service in NYC. They had original Smart cars with suspensions that felt like they were borrowed from bicycles, were throwing tire pressure warnings constantly, and lasted maybe 14 months before they were too beat to poo poo and had to be retired. They backhauled using EDGE modems that ran on T-Mobile, so you couldn't park in Greenpoint (this was in like 2015). The software ran on what felt like a 166 MHz processor coded by JS developers. There was a 1-2 second lag when you turned the volume knob.

I found a used condom in cars on more than one occasion, most of the cars reeked of weed, and I think I found coke in them once. If you had an iPhone you couldn't use any of the Gen2 cars for like a month, so I would see a car outside my apartment, try to start it, get an error code thrown, then call customer service for a credit. I think I only paid for half the rides I took, ever.

BMW's service was inexplicably called ReachAroundNow (they had the trademark for DriveNow but inexplicably didn't use it???). They rolled out a fleet of loaded Mini Clubmans and 335is, and within maybe 6 weeks they yanked them all from service because, shockingly, people in Brooklyn hooned the poo poo out of them and they were immediately trashed.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DriveNow is the actually working service in Europe so probably didn’t wanna taint the name

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Americans can't have nice things.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
them zuck boys are at it again!
https://twitter.com/robaeprice/status/1118668162378035200

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

in two weeks it'll be 15 million

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

Pigs out of YOSPOS.

go away

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom posted:

Hackers release dump of a Police Database :siren:

I did ETL work on police databases for a few years. This would have been an improvement for some departments, like the one that was running their entire system on microsoft access.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cerv posted:

hi guys sorry i'm late

two problems with these systems, the first is the one MononcQc pointed out about them being expensive and needing data plans and reliable uptime (never give tech to a patrolman), and the second is the horrific privacy issue you cause when you gather and aggregate personally-identifying information about people and their movements without an articulable purpose. Even if you aren't keeping the search data, the records of the queries are still held by the system and you can learn some entertaining things about people with access to those logs.

Running plates randomly one at a time is usually okay because it's not like one patrolman can do them fast enough to create any kind of chilling effect, and in theory, a shitbird whose searches are demonstrably non-random (why are 90% of your searches new cars registered to black people) or clearly lack some purpose (dozens on dozens of searches with bullshit reasons like "asdfasdfasdf" with no ensuing traffic stops) will get picked up by the crime reader and bawled out even though in practice we all know this definitely isn't happening. If you're using ANPR then you may well create the opposite situation, where you're generating more hits than you can deal with and you're choosing which ones to discard, and we all know exactly what kinds of abuses follow from that

fishmech posted:

your hodgepodge of donutchuggers randomly picking cars to follow still ain't going to be an effective dragnet against stolen vehicles

ding

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Celexi posted:

"terrifying literally everyone (but especially minorities)" is the primary goal of our police force here in florida, yes.

i remember a while ago my psych told me one of her other patients had their apartment raided because their roommate was dealing drugs and the cops of course tore the entire place apart and destroyed everything, took all the money, jewelry and other valuables they found, took all the food out of the fridge and freezer and dumped it all over the floor, took specifically the underwear out of their drawers and threw it on the gross rotten food pile, then found a copy of the bible one of them had, highlighted some verse about about fearing and obeying the authorities and left it open to that page on the dining table

meanwhile i call the cops on my upstairs neighbor getting loudly and clearly beat up by her douchebag boyfriend two different times and they don't show up for 3 hours :toot:

basically imagine the nic cage / werner herzog version of bad lieutenant except it's every cop and they're also really into jesus

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
gently caress pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

necrotic posted:

gently caress pigs