Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

FizFashizzle posted:

"Of course the President never declared executive privilege, he did nothing wrong :smug: "

also is the us government just ignoring the fact NK is testing weapons again?

According to the news in the break room, the White House gave the ol' "no comment."

E:. Well crap, tax is tricky by phone.

Phobic Nest fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pkay posted:

I know you shouldn't laugh. But its like watching a little kid do some stupid poo poo and its just too funny to discipline/scold him.

Knowing that he undoubtedly thinks it actually helps him look better / convinces people he's right when he does this, there's no way I can't laugh.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

"Honey, when I get home tonight, I will reveal whether I contracted gonorrhea from loving a stripper bareback during my business trip to Vegas."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

selec posted:

Facebook cannot be chipped away or gently guided. It must be roughly handled at least, burnt to ashes at best, and this handling must be done at a scale that billionaires quake to oppose it.

I'm not a fan of patronizing companies in league with white supremacists, but I'm not surprised you don't think it's a big deal. 🤷🏾‍♀️

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

eke out posted:

for what it's worth, they've repeatedly claimed the answer is no until now, so it could be that they're bringing it up to suck trump's dick over how he was so magnimonious and cooperative and didn't even invoke something he clearly couldn't successfully invoke

either (1) as you say, aides asserting privilege over communications with the president in their interviews with Mueller, and Mueller not challenging that in court (bullshit, but the kind of thing they might have gotten away with) or (2) some kind of broader assertions that _____ in the finished report should be redacted because it's privileged (definitely bullshit, something they will lose on when house dems challenge them)

I think they are priming the public for the incoming subpoenas that they will inevitably try to claim executive privilege on.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is retweeting a lot

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

selec posted:

Don’t worry about deleting your Facebook unless it’s having an individual, personal negative impact on your life.

Believing that individuals should be deleting or deactivating Facebook accounts is like getting mad because somebody threw a recyclable into your trash instead of the proper container. It has no effect on the problem or system that generates the problem, and only serves as a way of transferring the guilt of the system and actual perpetrators, who have the power to do something about it, onto the person with the least power in the whole situation, one individual consumer. It cannot be voluntary and individual; it must be mandatory and systemic for any change to really make a difference.

If you want to fix Facebook, that requires collective action; regulatory, or via a coordinated boycott or disruptive technical action (ideally with automated, collective data fuzzing that uses a botnet to simultaneously destroy the marketing profiles of everyone who joins the effort) or via direct action in Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg’s neighborhoods. Arguably Chuck Schumer’s house would also be a great site to protest because he is one of their main defenders in government, having been bought for a sinecure for his daughter.

Facebook cannot be chipped away or gently guided. It must be roughly handled at least, burnt to ashes at best, and this handling must be done at a scale that billionaires quake to oppose it.

Nah personal consumption choices are one of the few things we have direct control over in this stage of capitalism and gently caress facebook

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Koalas March posted:

I'm not a fan of patronizing companies in league with white supremacists, but I'm not surprised you don't think it's a big deal. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Honestly, hes right. Literally like 95% of what they need from you they already have. Here is my main concern, what is going to happen when/if facebook goes out of business? What happens to those extremely large data sets? Like I can literally see no good outcome in that situation.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

pkay posted:

Honestly, hes right. They literally 95% of what they need from you they already have. Here is my main concern, what is going to happen when/if facebook goes out of business? What happens to those extremely large data sets? Like I can literally see no good outcome in that situation.

Lol what cowards people are now. "Stop using Facebook and hopefully it'll get regulated better soon" is met with "well, you might as well use it anyways because they have all your poo poo and any other outcome I can think of is worse"

Jfc

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Pretty good statement, especially the last paragraph

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The dems need to start playing the disinformation game

"We have concluded our two year ingestigation and found no wrong doing by the FBI or the Obama administration".

And they need to do something right the gently caress now to spin this nonsense Barr is pulling.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

But her emails. Surely the Mueller report is good news for Donnie T if he's spending all morning retweeting Hillary conspiracies.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koalas March posted:

I don’t have a Facebook account, but that doesn’t seem to have impacted their bottom line, weirdo.

If you’re that worried about patronizing companies in league with white supremacists, maybe you should stop trying to be a YouTuber.

Neo Rasa posted:

I hate how much people "need" Facebook. I have a bunch of friends on it that only ever communicate with anyone on it. And whenever some news drops reaffirming how horrible Facebook is it's always brought up how like, we can text each other all the conversations/group stuff/memes we want and there's a ton of other ways to keep in touch but no one ever bites or responds. But more and more it's like, do I even need to talk to these folks anymore? Like people really have come to rely on Facebook's algorithm for structuring when it's okay to talk to folks online.

If anyone here's thinking of leaving, if you have a few people that only ever use Facebook that you want to keep in touch with, you can make a new messenger account without having a Facebook account and let them know+add them all to it. But if you close your Facebook account you can't use that same account on Messenger anymore.

You could also use Facebook's settings to wall it off from everything except for a small group of people and ads for things you already purchased 48 hours ago.

This is all true, and for people who have Normal Folk in their lives, you’re gonna feel pretty compelled to use the platform. I quit immediately after the 16 election, but it absolutely has impacted my social life, and I find out a lot of stuff secondhand from my wife, who does still have an account.

But you’re not making things “better” by securing your account better. Facebook is as much or more about harvesting your data. You do not patronize them in a normal model, you are the product, and the patrons are the companies and political groups that leverage the data. You are the eyeballs being sold.

But as I said, collective action is required because the platform has way too much of a footprint in our society (much like the problems of climate change or bigotry) to be solved by individual action. Some folks (even in this thread) have ideologies too incoherent to see themselves insisting that the people to blame are individual users and their choices, but it’s a problem only solved through solidarity and collective effort. No one individual has nearly the power or resources of a company funded by, run by and beloved by the billionaire class.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat, that's the kind of statement you see in like, newspaper opinion columns from 1927.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Terror Sweat posted:

We need more people using the power of just not giving a gently caress for good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caros posted:

Seems like the answer here is probably yes, given the fact he is bringing it up, but maybe I'm just reading into it.

By bringing the topic up, it makes it likely the answer is definitely "yes", but Barr will say the answer is "no".

Goddamned dishonest rear end in a top hat is making it really easy to dive into conspiracy theory with him. When he's been dishonest about so much so far, you pretty much have to start from a position of "he's lying" and once you're there anything becomes possible.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1118852985604407297?s=19

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have a list of all the things Barr has done that cast doubt on his handling of the case?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

If it proved his innocence as he's claiming, why wouldn't he be waving around an unredacted copy at every press covered thingy? :hmmyes:

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I got home from work at 4 PST and you better believe I'm staying up for this, even though the news conference is gonna be complete BS.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I hate how much people "need" Facebook. I have a bunch of friends on it that only ever communicate with anyone on it. And whenever some news drops reaffirming how horrible Facebook is it's always brought up how like, we can text each other all the conversations/group stuff/memes we want and there's a ton of other ways to keep in touch but no one ever bites or responds. But more and more it's like, do I even need to talk to these folks anymore? Like people really have come to rely on Facebook's algorithm for structuring when it's okay to talk to folks online.

If anyone here's thinking of leaving, if you have a few people that only ever use Facebook that you want to keep in touch with, you can make a new messenger account without having a Facebook account and let them know+add them all to it. But if you close your Facebook account you can't use that same account on Messenger anymore.

You could also use Facebook's settings to wall it off from everything except for a small group of people and ads for things you already purchased 48 hours ago.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

KickerOfMice posted:

If it proved his innocence as he's claiming, why wouldn't he be waving around an unredacted copy at every press covered thingy? :hmmyes:

Also if it exonerates him completely, why are his lawyers working on a response to the report?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Terror Sweat posted:

Woah, this guy rules

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1118855820219908099?s=20
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1118844851498442752?s=20

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Lol what cowards people are now. "Stop using Facebook and hopefully it'll get regulated better soon" is met with "well, you might as well use it anyways because they have all your poo poo and any other outcome I can think of is worse"

Jfc

People are afraid of changes.

selec posted:

I don’t have a Facebook account, but that doesn’t seem to have impacted their bottom line, weirdo.

If you’re that worried about patronizing companies in league with white supremacists, maybe you should stop trying to be a YouTuber.

Hell yeah, drag me! Been to any purity balls lately?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Did we cover this yesterday?

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1118655464282234880?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

does barr think he's not going to be dragged in front of congress after they get the report?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koalas March posted:

People are afraid of changes.

Hell yeah, drag me! Been to any purity balls lately?

Hey can you maybe...not have a weird public grievance about me? It’s pretty weird for me to be targeted by somebody who thinks being co-workers with Pewdiepie is okay, if we’re gonna be tendentious.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1118854203600973826

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

One of the side effects of living in a post-truth world is that shameless liars don't even need to bother with maintaining internal consistency to their web of lies. It doesn't matter anymore if the different excuses contradict each other. They can now completely modularize the lying and split into teams without even bothering to coordinate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

does barr think he's not going to be dragged in front of congress after they get the report?

Who’s going to drag him?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Rudy just said they already have a 30-page rebuttal prepared and ready to go.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

selec posted:

Hey can you maybe...not have a weird public grievance about me? It’s pretty weird for me to be targeted by somebody who thinks being co-workers with Pewdiepie is okay, if we’re gonna be tendentious.

Bruh you can't try to come for someone and get mad when they @ you back.

Also yeah I see PewDiePie at the water cooler and give him the stink eye like every day

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

selec posted:

Don’t worry about deleting your Facebook unless it’s having an individual, personal negative impact on your life.

Believing that individuals should be deleting or deactivating Facebook accounts is like getting mad because somebody threw a recyclable into your trash instead of the proper container. It has no effect on the problem or system that generates the problem, and only serves as a way of transferring the guilt of the system and actual perpetrators, who have the power to do something about it, onto the person with the least power in the whole situation, one individual consumer. It cannot be voluntary and individual; it must be mandatory and systemic for any change to really make a difference.

If you want to fix Facebook, that requires collective action; regulatory, or via a coordinated boycott or disruptive technical action (ideally with automated, collective data fuzzing that uses a botnet to simultaneously destroy the marketing profiles of everyone who joins the effort) or via direct action in Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg’s neighborhoods. Arguably Chuck Schumer’s house would also be a great site to protest because he is one of their main defenders in government, having been bought for a sinecure for his daughter.

This isn't climate change. It's just a loving website. It doesn't have to be fixed or need protests in the streets. Just don't go to the website.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Rudy just said they already have a 30-page rebuttal prepared and ready to go.

If there is one thing that proves innocence, it is a thirty page rebuttal to your crimes.

Koalas March posted:

Also yeah I see PewDiePie at the water cooler and give him the stink eye like every day

Can you throw a brick at him instead?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol owned

selec posted:

lol this is like saying someone eating cookies with Nestle in them is functionally the exact same as the pmc clubbing an Indian kid to death for trying to get water you creepy gently caress

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

he's just jealous you can leave the white supremacists behind when you go home

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Probably not an unreasonable request at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait is he saying that because you have, a YouTube channel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Koalas March posted:

In the model you’re describing (patronizing sites that white supremacists are using) you are trying to put money in the same coffers he is drawing from. You’re giving money to white supremacists by contributing content to sites that pay them.

You think that’s a good look though, I guess. Insert eyes rolling gif here.