Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think FF has been fine since Kirby left. A huge part of that is the Marvel writers getting better... first Thomas, then Conway, and the fact that all the artists on FF ape the hell out of Kirby. I just read Rich Buckler’s first arc on the title (140ish) and there’s Kirby tech and Kirby dots all over the drat place.

Rich Buckler was a pretty good artist who you never really hear too much about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Holy moly Thanos War is super goddamn good.

Jim Starlin was the Real Deal in 1974.

I like how he got Englehart and Gerber on board for his wild ride too. Even got some nice panels out of Bob Brown.

First Marvel book I ever read as a kid. First Thanos, First Drax, and Starlin. Warped me for life.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

In Jay & Miles' 5 anniversary episode that just came out they brought up this moment too. And when they first discussed it they blessed us with this:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
"Hello, Ace Hardware? Does Drano work on Kirby Dots?"

"...hello?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

At least after cleaning up after Beyonder I would think Peter was better prepared for Annihilus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

At least after cleaning up after Beyonder I would think Peter was better prepared for Annihilus.

There's no way he didn't make Johnny clean that up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Jordan7hm posted:

I think FF has been fine since Kirby left. A huge part of that is the Marvel writers getting better... first Thomas, then Conway, and the fact that all the artists on FF ape the hell out of Kirby. I just read Rich Buckler’s first arc on the title (140ish) and there’s Kirby tech and Kirby dots all over the drat place.

Rich Buckler was a pretty good artist who you never really hear too much about.
Weirdly I think the two things you described go hand in hand. For instance, this old George Perez interview:

PEREZ: That was around 1974, only two years out of high school. Within six months after that, Rich Buckler fell behind. Since I was Rich's assistant, they asked me to pencil what was supposed to be a Fantastic Four annual and turn into two issues of the regular book [#164-#165].

What did you do as Buckler's assistant?
PEREZ: Basically, I helped him with layout. Or I'd go through his swipe file - batches of comics - looking for suitable swipes for the story he was doing. Since at the time he was doing Thor and Fantastic Four, that meant lots of Jack Kirby books. I disliked that intensely, but it was my job. [Laughs] He had other assistants, but since I was the new guy on the block, I was given the grunt work. I didn't like doing it that way. I didn't want to be a Kirby clone. I was influenced by Jack, but I didn't want to copy him.

Back in the early 1980s there was a whole Thing in the Comics Journal about how Buckler was plagiarizing Kirby, which in this case was pretty blatant

In terms of Buckler's FF run, not all of the examples are quite as blatant, but this "Comics Swipes and Homages" blog has pretty much turned into a Rich Buckler Fantastic Four blog.

Buckler obviously drew in styles other than Kirby swipes (though in a lot of cases it seemed like he was just swiping from Neal Adams or Joe Kubert instead), and he's obviously got fans and friends in the industry, but in the 1980s Fandom/Criticism pool that a lot of today's pros came up in and heavily informed pre-Internet discourse and beyond, Buckler (and his weird threat of a lawsuit against TCJ in a letter insisting he was 'honoring' Kirby for personal reasons and non-pros would never understand and also for the record I HAVE BLACK FRIENDS) was sort of written off as a swipe artist.

It didn't help Buckler that the mid-1980s was also the period where the general discourse went from "Jack Kirby used to be cool but that Fourth World stuff sucked without Stan Lee and have you seen this hacky Eternals and Captain America and Devil Dinosaur garbage Marvel is buying from the old man out of pity? We've moved on to REALISTIC art, grandpa, go retire!" to Jack "King" Kirby, infinite fountain of ideas exploited and cheated by the industry. Since there was so much discussion about creators rights (specifically Kirby's, but everyone's) and various lovely things Marvel was doing with contracts, art returns, credit, etc. to Kirby and others in the air, being able to point to "that guy that literally stole Kirby's art to keep the Fantastic Four going" as a target to kick when you can't kick the entire business model of the industry was convenient and oft-used.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huh. That makes a lot of sense.

Rich did some good work on Avengers covers too, but there his work looks a lot like John Buscema.

Honestly... at least he was swiping from great artists. I’m happier with a Kirby clone than with whatever the hell Gil Kane was doing.

Trimpe is another one who leans really heavily into looking like other great artists.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I know a bunch of you played city of heroes, but for those of you that aren't following the Paragon chat thread, apparently, there's been a secret private server running the full game for the past six years.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Soonmot posted:

I know a bunch of you played city of heroes, but for those of you that aren't following the Paragon chat thread, apparently, there's been a secret private server running the full game for the past six years.
I have no idea how to feel about this and will fall back to my default of laughing at the guys who Kickstartered a CoH successor whose industry experience was "we made an empty city to run around in in Unity, how much harder could an MMO be".

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
how do i play the city of heroes

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Soonmot posted:

Where is this thread and server? I was going through an old HD the other day and found folders full of screen shots of my main (Robot Lovin') and the just under 300 alts I made.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The thread is in private server subforum of games, it's the Paragon chat thread. Last two pages are where the bomb dropped

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767383&pagenumber=43&perpage=40

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soonmot posted:

As soon as I figure out how to get this going, the dastardly Dr. Art History will ride again!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
From what I understand, it's super private and you can't get in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Grant Morrison and Patton Oswalt are doing an AMA together tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/grantmorrison/status/1118237679546720257

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm surprised Erica Henderson inks by hand. Seemed like most of the industry, especially younger folks, had moved to digital.

https://twitter.com/EricaFails/status/1118594498811047938

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I just found out that the guy who made Moon is working on a Rogue Trooper movie. That's gonna be the best comic book movie of all time

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Have you seen Warcraft and Mute?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I have seen Warcraft, but I think most if not all of it can be blamed on the fact that it's a Warcraft movie

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I'm cautious. So far it seems Moon was the one good movie he made.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Vincent posted:

I'm cautious. So far it seems Moon was the one good movie he made.

I really enjoyed Source Code, too. The end set it up perfectly for a sequel or TV series, so I was disappointed we never got another story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1118947389967147008

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ronmarz/status/1118641359047614464?s=19

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As long as they weren't putting that baby into a giant crystal, I think we're safe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I got into comics because my older cousin gave me his old ones. But I started getting my own off an end cap rack at Walgreens near my house. The only other way I knew to buy comics as a kid was through the ads in the books themselves for mail away stores. I didn't know about comic shops when I first started getting into it.

That being said the solution isn't putting the end cap rack back at every Walgreens. The solution is digital comics that anyone can buy on any device. A lot of the kids that would have the resources to go to retail store and buy off the rack also have access to a device they can read comics on now.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I mostly hate digital comics, but maybe I'm just a curmudgeon. A nice sized tablet to read comics on is hundreds of dollars, anyway, a far cry from all in color for a dime and cheap as hell back issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Like 70% of kids have access to a nice tablet already.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Also we're coming up on the 60th anniversary of the last regular 10 cent comic, and ten cents before that averages out to well over $1 a pop adjusted for inflation. I used to scour back issue bins for quarter comics too, but buying up easily searchable/completable entire runs of comics for 99c (or less) when sales are running is a lot easier and convenient, and also a lot less likely to result in you sitting around with Squadron Supreme #1-5, 7, 9, and 11 for a year while you try to find the other four and poo poo you forgot which one you needed and now you have two copies of issue 7.

There are "feel" arguments I 100% sympathize with about digital media, but cost/convenience isn't anywhere on there.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also digital needs less space in your room than physical.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey guys, there is this place called your local library and they carry graphic novels (and sometimes comics too) and the people that work there are generally very nice and the books there are free. So if you have kids who want to read some comics that is where I would recommend going.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I just don't see how they are really comparable in terms of value. On the one hand you have an invisible digital collection that you maybe pirated or maybe paid super duper discount sale prices for that you can carry with you anywhere, but can't lend or display.

On the other hand, you have something physical you can hold in your hand, the creative team's work in the format it was designed to be experienced in, though I can concede that perhaps this is changing in ways I don't recognize because I don't read much contemporary hero comics.

I like going through back issue bins and used book stores and discovering stuff by synchronicity much more than shopping on Amazon or eBay; I suppose that could be a 'feels' or nostalgic thing and I can believe that my earlier point about cost/convenience of digital vs print isn't as large a factor for 'today's youth' as I thought, but still, every inexpensive tablet I've owned has not been a great comics reading device and reading on my PC or phone also sucks. When I've asked here the response always seems to be to buy a huge expensive iPad, which I would argue is out of reach of middle school kids, probably.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

Hey guys, there is this place called your local library and they carry graphic novels (and sometimes comics too) and the people that work there are generally very nice and the books there are free. So if you have kids who want to read some comics that is where I would recommend going.

Excellent PSA; it's great for adults too!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Thanks for this. I'm a librarian, and I am still a regular public library user as well. Probably 85% of what I check out is graphic novels and TPBs, both in print and e-book format through the free HooplaDigital service they offer.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

A Strange Aeon posted:

I just don't see how they are really comparable in terms of value. On the one hand you have an invisible digital collection that you maybe pirated or maybe paid super duper discount sale prices for that you can carry with you anywhere, but can't lend or display.

On the other hand, you have something physical you can hold in your hand, the creative team's work in the format it was designed to be experienced in, though I can concede that perhaps this is changing in ways I don't recognize because I don't read much contemporary hero comics.

I like going through back issue bins and used book stores and discovering stuff by synchronicity much more than shopping on Amazon or eBay; I suppose that could be a 'feels' or nostalgic thing and I can believe that my earlier point about cost/convenience of digital vs print isn't as large a factor for 'today's youth' as I thought, but still, every inexpensive tablet I've owned has not been a great comics reading device and reading on my PC or phone also sucks. When I've asked here the response always seems to be to buy a huge expensive iPad, which I would argue is out of reach of middle school kids, probably.

I have a huge expensive iPad and absolutely recommended it for reading comics.

I also like print comics a ton. And growing up I read the hell out of the comics at my local library (mostly French bande dessines and Elfquest).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I should be getting my Gotham City Chronicles board game, I backed on Kickstarter a year ago, tomorrow. My friends and I will be unboxing it sometime this weekend if anyone is interested in pictures.

In June they’ll be doing another Kickstarter for some new add ons, and the original game + add ons for anyone that missed the first go round.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batmantm-gotham-city-chronicles

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i live in a lovely tiny apt that already barely has room for the stuff i got, what the hell am i supposed to do with a ton of floppys and trades and thick hardcovers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-O posted:

I got into comics because my older cousin gave me his old ones. But I started getting my own off an end cap rack at Walgreens near my house. The only other way I knew to buy comics as a kid was through the ads in the books themselves for mail away stores. I didn't know about comic shops when I first started getting into it.

That being said the solution isn't putting the end cap rack back at every Walgreens. The solution is digital comics that anyone can buy on any device. A lot of the kids that would have the resources to go to retail store and buy off the rack also have access to a device they can read comics on now.

I like "how'd you first end up reading comics?" stories. Here's mine.

When I was about 6, my mom and dad took me to see the first TMNT movie (which still holds up, 100%, btw). Naturally, I loved it. Our local theatre happened to be next door to our comic store, and our comic store owner wasn't an idiot, so he had a lot of TMNT and Batman poo poo in the window.

Naturally after having the first "HOLY poo poo THAT WAS GREAT" cinema experience of my young life, I noticed what was in the window, which was a stand from the movie promotion along with a whole assload of TMNT stuff. I asked if we could go there the next day, and you know, I think my dad was very glad I asked. My dad had a really lovely childhood, and I think it made him happy he was in a position to do something nice for his son. He also liked comics when he was young but was only able to afford them when he either did errands for people around the neighbourhood, or when his Uncle Joe would visit and give him some money for it.

Of course, the TMNT comic I bought was part 2 of Return to NY, and I had no idea what was going on and it was wildly inappropriate for a young kid to be reading since it was the Mirage era, but still.

Sorry, I know you were making a larger point that had nothing to do with this, but I've been thinking about my dad a bunch lately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Strange Aeon posted:

Kids don't give a poo poo and are happy to read on their phones. Hell, I've had arguments in here about how it sucks and was made fun for daring to suggest that comics are made to read a page (or two) at a time (I read on a big iPad Pro). That said, a lot of stuff really doesn't need the full-page experience, so stuff like Comixology's Guided View on a phone isn't really the worst thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Some comics seem made for guided view. The panel to panel pacing is exciting.

I can definitely see myself getting an Ipad, and going digital + trades.