Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
as said the real question with hunters vs hothouses is do you want machines or men doing the really hard work? it is the same distinction with thumpers and gatherers vs making a coal mine. it’s a great duality but also one that is belied by only one scenario having a real labor problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, Hothouses are great for scenarios like The Arks, where you have few people but access to robots, and can run the Hothouses 24/7. A single Hothouse with a robot produces 72 food a day (modified by robot efficiency), getting up to ~160 per day once you research the techs, making it equivalent to 4 fully upgraded Hunter's Huts.

The problem is, they're gated behind techs you can't get until well past the start of the game, they require resources you might not have, and most of the scenarios actually give you too many people so it doesn't actually address your real problems.

iirc, you can't even build hunter huts on The Arks

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

DasNeonLicht posted:

Soup is one of my favorite policies because it's proved so useful for me in past games. Being able to get an instant 30 percent increase in ration production when I realize I face a raw food deficit or am going to have trouble meeting a stockpile benchmark has saved my skin several times.

Soup's also great because it's one of the few negative decisions that you're not locked into. Make soup in the beginning when you need to make your food stores last, and then switch back to full rations once you're running a surplus.

Zagazunt
Mar 4, 2018
Can we get this thread renamed?

Frostpunk: Not so much hunting as meat mining

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

skeleton warrior posted:

most of the scenarios actually give you too many people so it doesn't actually address your real problems.

Idle hands that are in warm insulated houses are way better than sick hands tho :v:

Even in scenarios where you can easily crush everything with just manual labour, having a few robot that work in far away places can significantly lower your coal usage if nothing else.

QuarkJets posted:

iirc, you can't even build hunter huts on The Arks

Yeah, that's correct

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Virgin scientists scared of hunting like chad refugees

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would probably make more sense to have hunters behave more like scouts, where your beacon occasionally spots a small herd of animals, and you can send them out to bring back a small, random amount of raw food.

As opposed to having a massive fleet of zeppelins that takes off every night to harvest the unlimited supply of extremely healthy caribou living in the -100C apocalyptic hellscape.

Zagazunt posted:

Frostpunk: Not so much hunting as meat mining

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fister Roboto posted:

It would probably make more sense to have hunters behave more like scouts, where your beacon occasionally spots a small herd of animals, and you can send them out to bring back a small, random amount of raw food.

As opposed to having a massive fleet of zeppelins that takes off every night to harvest the unlimited supply of extremely healthy caribou living in the -100C apocalyptic hellscape.

The kids are all alight

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
The hunters are actually just heading out to civilization, buying a bunch of meat, and throwing away th packaging on the way home..there's no snowpocalypse, you're all just in a goofy VaultTec style social experiment. The Londoners were just trying to get out of their contract early.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
But that’s just a theory; game theory, etc

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Bogart posted:

But that’s just a theory; game theory, etc

This 100 part video series will illustrate how the automatons from The Arks are tied to Five Nights at Freddie's and Undertale.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK, how do I actually get the Iron Savior achievement? The description says "Finish the New Home scenario with no deaths from cold, hunger, sickness or overwork on Hard difficulty," but that's obviously not the whole story because apparently death by polar bear also counts. So far I'm halfway through my current game, and I've had six people die in an accident event, and one person from the poet suicide event. You'd think that neither of those would count as "death from cold, hunger, sickness, or overwork," but you'd also think that about getting eaten by polar bears. It would be nice if I actually knew if I had to start over or not.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, how do I actually get the Iron Savior achievement? The description says "Finish the New Home scenario with no deaths from cold, hunger, sickness or overwork on Hard difficulty," but that's obviously not the whole story because apparently death by polar bear also counts. So far I'm halfway through my current game, and I've had six people die in an accident event, and one person from the poet suicide event. You'd think that neither of those would count as "death from cold, hunger, sickness, or overwork," but you'd also think that about getting eaten by polar bears. It would be nice if I actually knew if I had to start over or not.

Any work-related death is considered death from overwork. So for scouts that means polar bears or Tesla's city. For people in your city that means emergency shifts or responding in the wrong way to certain events. So for instance sending a child into the generator when it's overheating is also a type of "overwork", even if the child doesn't have a job

The Poet doesn't disqualify you, he kills himself to protest your government. In general Order is kind of a brutal tree, I think Faith is a lot less likely to kill people. But the amputee killing himself does count against you, since his suicide is medical-related

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So what about the work accident event? I assume since it's work-related it disqualifies you, but is there any way to avoid it? I was running 14h shifts everywhere, but there was nothing in the event text to suggest that was the cause.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

So what about the work accident event? I assume since it's work-related it disqualifies you, but is there any way to avoid it? I was running 14h shifts everywhere, but there was nothing in the event text to suggest that was the cause.

do you have child labour enacted?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No. It was the "some people died in an accident, you can let people know about it or cover it up" event.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

No. It was the "some people died in an accident, you can let people know about it or cover it up" event.

iirc that's an event you get if you have a Propaganda Center

Faith is a lot kinder to the workers

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh OK so the propaganda center just magically kills people for no reason :thumbsup:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh OK so the propaganda center just magically kills people for no reason :thumbsup:

Mechanically, you could look at it that way. The game creates this event to give you an immediate display of the propaganda center being put to use

Thematically, you're building a society where the individual is told to lay down their worthless life for the good of the community. By the time that you've built a propaganda center you've already firmly gone down a path where many people are told to view the prosperity of the state as being more important than anything else; of course this is going to lead to people overlooking safety for the sake of productivity, and of course that leads to accidents

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well then they probably should have included that in the event text, because as it is it just seems like random, unavoidable deaths.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

In New Home you also must discover winterhome by yourself, because the dude stumbling in to kick off the Londoner crisis on day 15 counts as a death from cold.

The scout deaths are really bs because they are pure rng so be sure to save before attempting to mess with polar bears or enter Tesla City

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Winter home is brutal and I hate how much trouble I have with it. I ran out of steel and too many people survived the events so I had like 40 workers need to stay behind because there wasn't any room I guess.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

iirc that's an event you get if you have a Propaganda Center

Faith is a lot kinder to the workers

faith does have the healing house deaths tho, so don't build that one when going for the achievement

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Davincie posted:

faith does have the healing house deaths tho, so don't build that one when going for the achievement

Its just one death compared to Order's death toll which I think is close to 10 once you add them all up, and the healing house death only occurs if you have an amputee hanging about, but yeah. Don't build the healing house. Or do build it for the hope bonus and then immediately destroy it

I don't know if they ever fixed the bug where gravely ill people living in the healing house would rarely wait until the last possible second to think about going to the infirmary, and then they'd die while walking down the street

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Coolguye posted:

be sure to save before attempting to mess with polar bears or enter Tesla City

I have never not had my scouts die at Tesla

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I have never not had my scouts die at Tesla

iirc the good event has a 20% odds so that's not surprising.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why isn't there a research option that lets my automatons work at the pub?

As prostitutes?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Fister Roboto posted:

As prostitutes?

The "Handy" Yorkshireman
The Boston Steamer
The Manchester Old Fashion
The Belfast Twerker

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And then he gave me the Boston steamer and I had to pretend the captain put us on 18 hour shifts so I could get out of there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Then word got around and all the robosexuals started hanging around the pub way more often.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Google says Frostpunk was supposed to be out for PS4 a week ago, but it isn’t showing up on the store. Any one have an idea when an unwashed console player like myself will get to enjoy this game?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Fister Roboto posted:

As prostitutes?

Now that's a good post/username combo, right there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

jokes posted:

Winter home is brutal and I hate how much trouble I have with it. I ran out of steel and too many people survived the events so I had like 40 workers need to stay behind because there wasn't any room I guess.

there's never enough room. a full dread is 500 people and winterhome starts with 580. this doesn't include the engineers you can retrieve from frostland locations like the weather station or the science outpost. in the absolute ideal ending, 500 people leave on the dreadnought and another like two or three dozen dash off to the freshwater spring cave south of the city, where they can be recovered by New London scouts in New Home. strictly speaking you can also get a storylet that lets you send a scout team north to what appears to be smoke on the horizon (it's New London) but i can never get that to fire and even if you do, they do not return in the scope of the scenario and the team ends up becoming the one guy who stumbles in on day 15 to die and kick off the Londoner crisis for the New Home boys.

no matter what you do, you will leave at least 50 people behind as the Generator blows and Winterhome's story ends for good.

welcome to Frostpunk.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 2, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The hardest part of Winterhome is unfucking the city layout.

For me the hardest scenario was the Refugees, by far. What a nightmare.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 2, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Does dismantling the surplus streets still net you 80+ wood? Because that made the first few days a LOT easier.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the return gets cut down really hard in survivor mode i think

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The "Handy" Yorkshireman
The Boston Steamer
The Manchester Old Fashion
The Belfast Twerker

Fully Integrated Security Techtronic Officer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alkydere posted:

Fully Integrated Security Techtronic Officer.

the entire james joyce letter about loving farts out of his ladyfriend

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
They want to make a Frostpunk RPG!

https://www.pcgamer.com/frostpunk-c...=0&ns_fee=0

:pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone got any good advice for The Refugees on survivor mode? Just starting out I immediately fall into a starvation spiral, because pulling people off my workforce to be hunters means I can't afford to build much else, including more hunter huts. I think I'm just going to have to let a lot of people die, but I'd rather avoid that if I can.