Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Esplanade posted:

J. Wesley Smith

Owns. Please continue posting History Schmuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (November 27, 1931)

Peanuts (April 21, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 13, 1931)

Out Our Way (June 20-22, 1932)

Toonerville Folks (April 22-24, 1915)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Reddick acts like this chick is some kind of feminist when in fact she is a gigantic Pick Me. It's the worst thing about her, and there's plenty to choose from.

In what way is Tiff's dialog anything a human being would ever say, particularly to somebody with whom they have never had any sort of business relationship? This is only to make Tiff uncomfortable and humiliate Les/make him out to be a dirtbag for wanting to have sex.

Hey! BTW! In the Tiff Got Fat storyline, Les was the ONLY character who didn't start treating her differently when she gained weight. Bernice tried to pester and psychoanalyze her, Gunther and Dez befriended her in an attempt to save her from herself (but at least still treated her as human). Les treated her as a friend he wanted to bang before and continued to treat her as a friend he wanted to bang after. We are, of course, supposed to take it as evidence of his irredeemable perversion that he even wants to make it with fat girls, rather than that he's into her regardless of her measurements. And it makes sense, since she's the only one in this strip who treats him like a person.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Julet Esqu posted:

Reddick acts like this chick is some kind of feminist when in fact she is a gigantic Pick Me. It's the worst thing about her, and there's plenty to choose from.

I'm ot familiar with the term, and google gives a range of results. What do you mean?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

poo poo like this is what makes this comic so loving awful. Even if you accept the premise that Dustin is a lazy do-nothing wasting his potential this is an incredibly uncalled for and mean spirited snipe by his mom. He did something nice! He apparently does lots of nice things! Be proud of that for five seconds you petty rear end in a top hat!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm ot familiar with the term, and google gives a range of results. What do you mean?

A woman who denigrates other women to make herself more attractive to men. E.g. "I don't like that dumb girly girl stuff like clothes and shopping and hair and nails and spa days! I like cool stuff like Star Wars and comic book conventions and computers! Pick me!" (In this case she's looking to appeal to the men reading the strip. I have yet to see any indication that she's interested in any of the male characters in this strip, including her own boyfriend.)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 20-22, 1932)

Where the joke is child labor!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

readingatwork posted:

poo poo like this is what makes this comic so loving awful. Even if you accept the premise that Dustin is a lazy do-nothing wasting his potential this is an incredibly uncalled for and mean spirited snipe by his mom. He did something nice! He apparently does lots of nice things! Be proud of that for five seconds you petty rear end in a top hat!

Anybody remember which goons made the "Dustin's Supportive Family" edits a few years ago?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

TofuDiva posted:

Anybody remember which goons made the "Dustin's Supportive Family" edits a few years ago?
No but I thought this one deserved it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
thank you for that edit

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 12/19/52

Mopsy 10/25/41

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Ah, that's better. Thanks for making this!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Johnny Walker posted:

It's wasn't Luann's sister it was Pru who is...I don't remember where she came from. Bernice and Luann met her on their wild trip to NYC or something and now she lives at the DeGroot house because she's a lesbian and they work in mysterious ways?

I'm having trouble imagining the words "Bernice and Luann" and "wild trip" being anywhere close together. Like what do they even do, drink from a non-Starbucks place?

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Hell yeah, shame on couples for showing positive emotion for each other! Clearly it's way healthier to stay silent forever and never say you love each other.

Julet Esqu posted:

In what way is Tiff's dialog anything a human being would ever say, particularly to somebody with whom they have never had any sort of business relationship? This is only to make Tiff uncomfortable and humiliate Les/make him out to be a dirtbag for wanting to have sex.

Hey! BTW! In the Tiff Got Fat storyline, Les was the ONLY character who didn't start treating her differently when she gained weight. Bernice tried to pester and psychoanalyze her, Gunther and Dez befriended her in an attempt to save her from herself (but at least still treated her as human). Les treated her as a friend he wanted to bang before and continued to treat her as a friend he wanted to bang after. We are, of course, supposed to take it as evidence of his irredeemable perversion that he even wants to make it with fat girls, rather than that he's into her regardless of her measurements. And it makes sense, since she's the only one in this strip who treats him like a person.

So what you're saying is that Tiff and Les would be happier getting together and they should just ditch this lousy strip. Also Jesus loving Christ, psychoanalyzing someone just because they gained weight is just :psyduck:.

readingatwork posted:

Between this and Foob, I'm not sure which one wins the "I hate my own child the most" award.

Johnny Walker posted:

I like this edit because it only highlights that without everyone making GBS threads on Dustin, there's nothing to draw attention away from Ed being a piece of poo poo boomer who complains about everything.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we murder the secret shopper yet? I've got the acetone ready.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, what the heck, how about let's remember

When Tiffany Got Fat

It all started in mid September 2017 with Bernice doing a very dilligent job at her very important RA position (and also being mad because Luann has friends who aren't Bernice, but that's a different story).

She's going to be a great therapist some day.  I bet Tiff feels better already.

THE BEST THERAPIST.  ANYBODY WOULD FEEL SAFE CONFIDING IN HER.

Yeesh, it's even worse than I remembered.

You spent the whole last strip slut shaming her.  Even though she didn't hear you, you know what the dynamic of your relationship is.  Why on earth would she think your show of concern is sincere?

Best.  Luann.  Ever.

God, kill them all.  Even Dez, the best one here. Guilt by association.

From here the girls make the reasonable deduction that because they hate Tiffany and she hates them, she might not be receptive to help from them.  They decide to send in Gunther instead, since he's her study buddy and is totally definitely not doing that Nice Guy thing where he totally wants to bone but won't say so and just hopes she trips and falls on his dick one day and then they will HAVE TO GET MARRIED TO SAVE HER HONOR.

I go back and forth about whether I hate Gunther or Bernice more.  But in this storyline, at least, Bernice is THE WORST.

Credit where it's due, however. For once in his entire life, Gunther did something right.  So that's nice.  And he continues to do right.  Tiffany vents about how her dad is dating this awful woman (who Tiff hasn't met and who turns out to be Anne Eiffel, but we don't know that yet) and her various other problems and Gunther just sits and listens, which is good.  In the end, he and Tiffany start watching Star Trek together and make it a regular group thing with Dez and the Harpy.  This is where Tiff gets the mistaken idea that Bernice is a friend.

Things continue from there, but this post is getting long so I'll stop here for now.  I may or may not post a part 2 later.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Instead of remembering Luann

I am going to have an Outburst of Mrs True

manero
Jan 30, 2006

:v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hello, I'm Greg Evans

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Hello, I'm Greg Evans

GET HIM

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Remember when Bernice started spying on Piro, that guy she had the hots for, including trying to figure out what kind of doctor he was seeing?

She’s utterly awful, and she looks just like my aunt, which just makes things worse.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Endless Mike posted:

Hello, I'm Greg Evans

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Did anyone tell Gunther why they thought Tiffany needed an intervention? Because going from that context it looks like Gunther is saying "Hi, Tiffany" because she doesn't look any different than normal. Which is what drove me crazy about that arc. Everyone's acting like Tiffany's the blob now but she's just wearing a sweatsuit which by design doesn't really show off her figure at all. Like looking back the impetus could have been that she's not wearing pretty clothes or makeup or leaving her room anymore and that would have made sense because that's very out of character for Tiffany but no, she's a disgusting obese slob now, that's why everyone is worried.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I like how they're apparently looking at the speech bubble in the last panel.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Dad. Dad never changes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Boyce wrote these. Has to be.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
My Jamal Patreon sketch came in, and I gotta sya it's pretty loving tight my dudes.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Hey, what the heck, how about let's remember

When Tiffany Got Fat

Jesus Christ, I had no idea this is what Bernice in action looks like. She instantly skyrocketed as my most hated character in Luann. :argh: Being fat isn't even a problem and I hate that Team Evans clearly wants to shame people who are.

amigolupus posted:

I'm having trouble imagining the words "Bernice and Luann" and "wild trip" being anywhere close together. Like what do they even do, drink from a non-Starbucks place?

Ah, so this what Luann's idea of a wild time is. Getting a temporary tattoo. Oh, how can she live with herself now by doing something so scandalous.

Luann, you are the WORST friend ever. Like goddamn, you really think badly of Dez, huh?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell Of course furry Hellworld still has Star Trek.

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ah, Safe Havens. Of course your expedition was supposed to be different...... except it's a super secret project funded by a hell company. How did you not notice

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Heh. That Hagar guy is alright.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Did anyone tell Gunther why they thought Tiffany needed an intervention? Because going from that context it looks like Gunther is saying "Hi, Tiffany" because she doesn't look any different than normal. Which is what drove me crazy about that arc. Everyone's acting like Tiffany's the blob now but she's just wearing a sweatsuit which by design doesn't really show off her figure at all. Like looking back the impetus could have been that she's not wearing pretty clothes or makeup or leaving her room anymore and that would have made sense because that's very out of character for Tiffany but no, she's a disgusting obese slob now, that's why everyone is worried.

I skipped some strips in the name of not making the post even longer than it was already, but rest assured, they did make sure to tell Gunther that Tiff turned into a Fatty Fatty Fat Fat.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeesh, it's even worse than I remembered.
Holy poo poo gently caress you Luann. Man I don't remember it being this bad either. I just remembering thinking the intervention thing was dumb and everyone was acting like aliens who are trying to pretend to be humans.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

In which we learn Shrek was just a filthy bachelor

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Heh. That Hagar guy is alright.

Not emptyquoting

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 10/25/41

Ah, a Mopsy for Twitter. *clears throat* same

I hadn't seen that Luann set before. That's gross, aside from Gunther's little "hi Tiffany". The Evanses could've just had Tiff be reclusive and dressed in sweats to indicate she's down, instead of focusing on "she got FAT". And Luann going "what has SHE got to be depressed about" for multiple strips is really stupid.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Jamal

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 10/25/41

Mopsy stars in Cronenberg's Crash

Puck is the best.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's rather musical Corto Maltese: It's always the same with me, Corto. I try for some late night reading and before you know it, pow, you're asleep. or "Come with me, and you'll be... in a world of pure imagination...", or "He could wile away the hours, conversing with the flowers, consulting with the rain..."