Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

IIRC PSTVs have shot up in price ever since people figured out that they were fantastic piracy boxes

You can hack the Vita TVs to use those SD card adapters on them?

I'm tempted to get one to play Persona 4 again on an actual TV. It'd be more expensive than that dock thing (although not by much since it's $65 for the dock with the Raspberry Pi included which is mandatory plus another $20 for shipping) but it'd arrive sooner (now instead of August) and not rely on janky eastern european hackery...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

You can just use a USB on a Vita TV and it'll save you the game card slot

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I bought a used PSTV for like $25 and stuck it in my closet for years! It's time to shine!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Weren't they $20 at one point? I think that's what I paid (just so I could get a new PS3 controller.)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

Weren't they $20 at one point? I think that's what I paid (just so I could get a new PS3 controller.)

Yeah when Sony was dumping stock they were going for that cheap, I'm really mad I didn't get one at that point

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I still use mine to play Muramasa and God Eater Resurrection from time to time. I didn't even think about hacking it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The vita homebrew scene is constantly growing, it's worth cracking and it's not especially hard to do.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Hi,

I just picked up a Vita on the cheap on a whim, mostly to play P4 again on a few long journeys I have coming up.

Is there any suggestions for good games to put on my to do list.

Most lists online are mainly spelunky and other such indie games.

I am looking for the more meaty, niche stuff...

No pixel fetish metroidvanias please!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

meaty niche stuff?

Trails of Cold Steel series is pretty good.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Science_enthusiast posted:

meaty, niche stuff...
Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, all of the Atelier games.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hi,

I just picked up a Vita on the cheap on a whim, mostly to play P4 again on a few long journeys I have coming up.

The vita is great for VNs and you can't get any more niche than that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Killzone Mercenary
Gravity Rush
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
Rayman Legends
Velocity Ultra and Velocity2x

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I have a Vita and a Vita TV, can I use the cloud saves to play on one and pick it up on the other?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Yep, that works, but you'll need to upload/download manually.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I'm trying to install hacked firmware on my PS TV following the vita.hacks.guide, uh, guide. I've run into a roadblock, and unfortunately the discord is not the most helpful, so I was wondering if anyone on here could help me figure out what to do:

My PS TV was on 3.67, so I followed the instructions to upgrade it to 3.68.

Now I am at the step where I am supposed to go into content manager and sync it to FinalHE on my PC.

For a while, the PS TV was able to link via the number code given in the FinalHE app, however, when attempting to actually use the copy function, the PS TV would insist that it needed an update.

I entered the alternate DNS info, which made it so that the PS TV would say it needed an update, but then if I clicked System Update it would say the version was already up to date and send me back to Content Manager, which would then say it needed a system update when attempting to copy from the PC.

Then I tried Vita Update Blocker, and ran it on my PC, and entered the Proxy Server info it gave me on the PS TV. It didn't appear to do anything, the PS TV still asked for an update.

Finally, I disconnected all internet options on the PS TV, went into recovery mode, and did a factory reset. I then unplugged my modem from my router, so the PS TV and my computer could both connect to the local network, but not access the internet.

My PS TV was able to see my PC as an option to connect to in Content Manager, but now would no longer allow me to link it via the number code. When I attempted to register the device, the PS TV would sit spinning for a while then say the network connection was lost (while connected via ethernet...)

It is still seeing something on the network, as if I close the FinalHE program on the PC, my PC name disappears from the devices list on the PS TV content manager.

What should I do to get the necessary files onto my PS TV? When I hacked my actual Vita, I was able to just hook it up to my PC directly, so I didn't have to deal with this network nonsense...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Thread-regular ayukawa had a similar issue a while back and if i remember correctly the issue was that their home network was doing things with DNS that resulted in the device still seeing the sony servers. I think using the phone's 4g through a phone hotspot allowed the Vita to hacked properly.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some routers, especially if it's an ISP one, hijack all DNS requests and forward them to their own servers, ostensibly for securing your line against attacks. Here in Europe, there must be a way to disable this in the router's configuration, because it goes against net neutrality. If you're in the USA, :lol:.

If this is the problem, disconnecting the router from the line should work.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Cheers for the suggestions.

I just picked up steins gate cheap...

I like the look of soul sacrifice a lot. I have a few questions: it looks a bit like its treading on dark souls toes a bit, which could be jarring! Thoughts?

2nd- is it good offline?

3rd- is there much difference with the delta version (aside from it being digital only). I can get a physical copy of the vanilla one pretty cheap too...

Any other ideas for actiony things (fighting games, beat m ups etc) that could be perpetual commute games? (Already planning to get binding of isaac)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's nothing like Souls outside of being a dark motif action game. For one thing all the stages are arenas, there's no exploration to speak of.

Delta adds a LOT of content and fixes and is the only way I'd recommend playing, really.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Any other ideas for actiony things (fighting games, beat m ups etc) that could be perpetual commute games? (Already planning to get binding of isaac)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30nahsuPtpw

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Ah, sorry if I wasn't specific enough, that's what I get for posting at 1am...

While initially I was having the issue of being prompted to update when trying to use content manager, that's no longer the case.

I did a factory reset, this time entering my PSN login info during the initial setup, and now when I use content manager, it no longer prompts for an update. Instead, while it sees my PC as a device on the network, it cannot register it to connect to (the step where you choose the PC, then on the Vita you enter the number code displayed on the PC app).

When I click on my PC in the PSTV content manager, the screen sits loading for a few seconds, then says "the network connection has been lost". This occurs when using WiFi or Ethernet.

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Mithaldu posted:

Thread-regular ayukawa had a similar issue a while back and if i remember correctly the issue was that their home network was doing things with DNS that resulted in the device still seeing the sony servers. I think using the phone's 4g through a phone hotspot allowed the Vita to hacked properly.

I have been promoted to Thread-regular!

Annath posted:

Ah, sorry if I wasn't specific enough, that's what I get for posting at 1am...

When I click on my PC in the PSTV content manager, the screen sits loading for a few seconds, then says "the network connection has been lost". This occurs when using WiFi or Ethernet.

CMA or QCMA ?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Hi,

The Tactics Ogre PSP remake is about as meaty as you can get for a game that regularly goes on sale for under $10.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

ayukawa posted:

I have been promoted to Thread-regular!

CMA or QCMA ?

So the guide I'm following is here: https://vita.hacks.guide/installing-h-encore

It wants me to use "FinalHE v1.81" on my PC (guide Section 1 Step 2) and open Content Manager on my PSTV (Section 1 Step 3).

This is supposed to make the PSTV prompt for a numeric code to be entered, the code being displayed on FinalHE.

The problem I was initially having was that FinalHE would give me the code, but after I entered it, the PSTV would demand an update to the firmware. Going off the advice of someone in the Vita Hacks Discord, I factory reset the PSTV and, during the initial setup, I entered my PSN login info (something I had not done previously).

Now, when I launch Content Manager on my PSTV, it sees my PC in the device list (if FinalHE is running):

If I select it, it attempts to connect/register:

But ultimately times out every time saying the connection was lost, even though the network icon remains the whole time:

I have tried with FinalHE, auto h-encore, and regular old QCMA, and the same thing happens. The PSTV just will not talk to the PC. So it never even gets to the "ask for a code" step now.

E: I rebooted my PC and for some reason it worked fine after that :shepicide:

Annath fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 19, 2019

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've had intermittent issues with corrupted saves, and crashes that throw up errors c2-12828-1 and c1-2741-4. Cursory research leads me to believe that my 64mb memory stick is to blame.

I could mess around with reformatting and database rebuilding, but it sounds like I'd be better off just biting the bullet and picking up a 32GB stick. Assuming I go this route, would it be "safe" to use my old cloud saves with the new storage? I'm assuming that the worst that could happen is that a corrupted save continues to crash the game. Just want to make sure I can't somehow corrupt the new storage media and end up right back where I started.

btw I'm aware I can hack and use an SD card or however it works... in that case the question remains, is there any risk to using my old data if it turned out the save data itself was corrupt?

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Annath posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Annath posted:

yaaay computers

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My vita just decided that the memory card in it only has the stuff I downloaded onto it 3 years ago when I first got it

RIP my Atelier playthrough I guess?

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Regy Rusty posted:

My vita just decided that the memory card in it only has the stuff I downloaded onto it 3 years ago when I first got it

RIP my Atelier playthrough I guess?

Definitely a sign from all powerful Vita-chan, telling you to play through Atelier once more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I dunno, I was enjoying it, but I wasn't so in love with it that I'm willing to replay the 15 hours or so to get back to where I was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good news I rebuilt the database 3 times and it gradually worked its way forward through time to 2019 and now everything's good.

The vita.... is dumb

ayukawa
Feb 7, 2016

Nice boat.

Regy Rusty posted:

The vita.... is dumb

I prefer the term, "Special".

Glad to hear it is working for you now.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
actually, vita...means life

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

waah posted:

The Tactics Ogre PSP remake is about as meaty as you can get for a game that regularly goes on sale for under $10.

Ah cheers. I actually have a psp copy- great game but my old psp's battery life didn't give me much chance. Look forward to booting it up once i have CFW up and running (should be a 3.70 hack coming in the next weeks) -

Would i be correct in saying that the cfw psx emulators (adrenaline and retroarch) both support save states? I hope so because that was 80 percent of the reason for my impulse purchase.

Is there any particularly interesting homebrew content- or is it all there just to thinly veil the game piracy?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can play Quake III Arena online against the 4 other people with hacked vitas who downloaded Q3A

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also yes, adrenaline supports save states.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

In Training posted:

You can play Quake III Arena online against the 4 other people with hacked vitas who downloaded Q3A

Well that is dope/ a nice suprise!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Which Atelier game is the best introduction to the series?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Terminally Bored posted:

Which Atelier game is the best introduction to the series?

I'm just gonna quote my post from a few weeks back when someone asked basically the same thing.

Fru Fru posted:

If you care about the story at all, just start with Rorona. A lot of people don't like it because the time constraint is pretty strict and you will definitely need to do a NG+ if you wanna get all the endings, but I actually like the time challenge. Meruru is the third in that trilogy (these games all come in trilogies set in parallel worlds) but you don't have to have played the other two if you just wanna make some crazy stuff. I don't remember making any pies like that but I think that was when pinwheels got crazy powerful.

If you are worried about the time challenge, maybe skip to the Dusk trilogy. I think Ayesha was was less strict and Escha & Logy is one of my favorites.

Also always get the "plus" versions. I don't know if you can still get the normal versions but just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thanks!

Do these trilogies have overarching story arcs or just the same world?