Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's very good for like 5 issues, then it slowly decreases in quality until in like issue 18 you realize you're reading the bullshit adventures of Dr. Jafra and her 2 sarcastic murder robots who are mirror dark side copies of Threepio and R2, and they're trying to turn Darth Vader into an anti-hero and then it's time to put it down for good

Nah, no anti-heros. Darth Vader as a force of nature, like space Godzilla. I'd even settle for some 90s cheesy disaster movie, like Twister but its Darth Vader instead of a tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Applewhite posted:

I think the running is what ruins it. If she just stayed still until the last second, then did like a crouch and swing to slice the whole spaceship in half in a single stroke, then launched straight into a lightsaber duel with Kylo as he leaps from the two dividing halves of the spaceship, I might be like "ok that was p. cool."

I think it sucks no matter what. In the originals most fights weren’t very flashy and yet they were way better than more generic superhero trash. Hell the originals had way less action in general and were great.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Nah, no anti-heros. Darth Vader as a force of nature, like space Godzilla. I'd even settle for some 90s cheesy disaster movie, like Twister but its Darth Vader instead of a tornado.

Yeah it does have several moments where Vader is basically Jason and people question whether it's even possible to kill him, and he has some amazing quips. But it's chock full of bullshit and keeps trying to focus on lovely side characters

The more recent comic series fixes those problems, it's entirely about Vader hunting down and murdering jedi refugees and rebels and eventually a space ghost

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hey Episode 9 thread. Long time listener. First time caller. I want to contribute my steaming hot take.

Anyway, so far we've seen a teaser which I assume means absolutely bumkiss in relation to the movie plot. Like how Rogue One had that TIE Fighter be all "hey gurl" on the Scarif broadcasting tower but was never in the film. I bet when we actually see Episode 9 Rey won't be facing down Kylo Ren's modified TIE Fighter at all... Instead it'll just be more turning and running and turning for a training montage.

What I really wanna talk about is the decline in the quality of Star Wars memes. Memes based on the OT aren't really memes, but are cultural references, while the prequels are essentially the meme-generators of the entire franchise. The worldbuilding and expanse of the universe and stories really offer a lot. The sequels, being super bland and stockholder-inoffensive, give us nothing to make memes about. As a result, you can only shitpost them.

OT memes (aka Star Wars): Heartfelt deconstructions of a really good trilogy (see references in Muppet Babies, Family Guy, etc)
PT memes (Start Wars! Attack of Your Mom!): Dumb commentary, shitpost memes with a point, deconstructions, analogies to dumb IRL poo poo, bad movies are fun, etc.
ST memes (Luke Georgewalker's Dada SterWerns featuring Ben Swolo :swoon: ): Absolutely no memes you can relate to. So sterile it's just shitposts, shitposts, shitposts all the way down!

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Also this thread is an episode 9 testing audience honeypot trap of some sort. Senior Lowtax solid SA to the mouse for Wolverine's adamantium.

:tinfoil:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Backweb posted:

What I really wanna talk about is the decline in the quality of Star Wars memes.
I hope you find a receptive audience somewhere.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Backweb posted:

Hey Episode 9 thread. Long time listener. First time caller. I want to contribute my steaming hot take.

Anyway, so far we've seen a teaser which I assume means absolutely bumkiss in relation to the movie plot. Like how Rogue One had that TIE Fighter be all "hey gurl" on the Scarif broadcasting tower but was never in the film. I bet when we actually see Episode 9 Rey won't be facing down Kylo Ren's modified TIE Fighter at all... Instead it'll just be more turning and running and turning for a training montage.

What I really wanna talk about is the decline in the quality of Star Wars memes. Memes based on the OT aren't really memes, but are cultural references, while the prequels are essentially the meme-generators of the entire franchise. The worldbuilding and expanse of the universe and stories really offer a lot. The sequels, being super bland and stockholder-inoffensive, give us nothing to make memes about. As a result, you can only shitpost them.

OT memes (aka Star Wars): Heartfelt deconstructions of a really good trilogy (see references in Muppet Babies, Family Guy, etc)
PT memes (Start Wars! Attack of Your Mom!): Dumb commentary, shitpost memes with a point, deconstructions, analogies to dumb IRL poo poo, bad movies are fun, etc.
ST memes (Luke Georgewalker's Dada SterWerns featuring Ben Swolo :swoon: ): Absolutely no memes you can relate to. So sterile it's just shitposts, shitposts, shitposts all the way down!

While your memeology isn’t off the mark, I’d point out that it took a good 15 years for prequel memes to become a thing. Before that, the hate for the prequels overshadowed the “awww, I guess they were flawed but original” perception they have today

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

While your memeology isn’t off the mark, I’d point out that it took a good 15 years for prequel memes to become a thing. Before that, the hate for the prequels overshadowed the “awww, I guess they were flawed but original” perception they have today

Ty for reading that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah some serious brain worms have caused a bunch of people to forget that the prequels were garbage all along and even a billion memes wouldn't change that

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

"no one's ever really gone"
- Luke to Leia in episode 8 just before he faces Ben Swolo (in the secret salt planet bunker)

All of that episode 9 teaser is garbage. Just like episode 7 and 8's teasers

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Leia: doesn't move rocks despite the big rock pile in the way

Rey: moves rocks

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Hey, everybody! Check out this new Vader VR game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3ej0tc3a8

Now THIS is VR gaming!

NavanaSokarad
Jan 19, 2019
im a personal fan of the theory that the word "skywalker" is the light sides version of "Darth" from the sith side and that the rise of skywalker is just ment that the jedi will come back by the end of the movie. just my two cents.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Then Shmi was the laziest Skywalker out there. Fuckin' a, bitch, stop being a slave and raise your dumbass kid!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, what does "Ren" mean. It's supposedly a title. Is it like the "Assistant to the Regional Manager" to Darth's "Regional Manager?"

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
reminds me of that star wars VR game I played in downtown disney at disneyland resort. At least they made the rooms to match the VR areas so you can feel the walls and you had a space gun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NavanaSokarad posted:

im a personal fan of the theory that the word "skywalker" is the light sides version of "Darth" from the sith side and that the rise of skywalker is just ment that the jedi will come back by the end of the movie. just my two cents.

So you are saying there will be a return of the jedi?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chomp8645 posted:

So you are saying there will be a return of the jedi?

how come episode 6 was called return of the jedi but in episode 7 you couldn't find a single one until the very end of the movie

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

how come episode 6 was called return of the jedi but in episode 7 you couldn't find a single one until the very end of the movie

Well as it turns out, Kylo Ren got rid of the non- Luke ones. Since the revenge of that Sith, the return of the jedi must happen again.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lol, Ben Solo isn't a Sith. Lol that he supposedly can't fully commit to the Dark Side despite killing any of Luke's students who opposed him and joining a fascist organization with planet destroyer superweapons. Lol at how bad the new world is set up. Lol at all these Star Wars.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Hi CFS! Yeah, I agree but I'd also argue that memes move a hell of a lot faster today than the days of "all your base." Stuff no longer retains a shelf life. 15 years? Get real grandpa! Back then we all had dial-ups and these dead gay forums didn't exist yet (or were free? TPM was 1999... yikes!). Back then I had a Gameboy Classic and had to ask mom for permission to go online after dinner for AOL Instant Messenger and was fine with that. The way of things...

Anyway, kids* these days want quality memes ASAP and they're going so far as to turn the PT into jpg artifacts to get their fix. No doubt the prequels were poo poo as far as grandpa's movies are concerned, but when it comes to memes their mileage goes so much farther than the sequels... this current trilogy isn't retaining value. We got stuff like "Ben Swolo" and whatever, but even for sequel trilogy memes we find a reversion back to the PT ya know? But even then it's just shitposts.

Man, these memes.

Torquemada posted:

I hope you find a receptive audience somewhere.

Hey thanks pal but don't worry. Goons will always respond when they need to prove their opinions right. There's always an audience for my dumb posts.

Edit: * kids = Russian trolls

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, Ben Solo isn't a Sith. Lol that he supposedly can't fully commit to the Dark Side despite killing any of Luke's students who opposed him and joining a fascist organization with planet destroyer superweapons. Lol at how bad the new world is set up. Lol at all these Star Wars.

He couldnt commit I guess because the actions of Rey and pals gave everyone a new hope. But now that First Order has struck back, he seems to have finally crossed the threshold. Only the return of the jedi can stop him.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That perception lives in a few threads in a single relentlessly self-hypnotising subforum afaict

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, what does "Ren" mean. It's supposedly a title. Is it like the "Assistant to the Regional Manager" to Darth's "Regional Manager?"

it's cause he "Ren" away from dealing with his emotions

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The first time we see Vice-Admiral Holdo in The Last Jedi, we see her through the eyes of Poe Dameron: hotshot flyboy, recently slapped down twice in the Resistance’s scramble to evacuate their compromised base. The first blow to Poe’s ego and stability is his demotion from Commander to Captain by General Leia Organa herself, a suitable reprimand for spearheading the devastatingly costly bombing run which provides the film with its opening set-piece. No sooner has Poe processed this—if indeed he has processed it—than he’s knocked further off balance by the loss of all of the Resistance high command save Leia, who is comatose and out of commission. In this state—stripped of his expected personal authority, with the usual structures of command which he relies on decimated—he looks at the new leader of the remaining Resistance fleet and says incredulously to another pilot: “That’s Admiral Holdo? Battle of Chyron Belt Admiral Holdo? …not what I was expecting.”

Nor is Holdo what the viewer is, perhaps, expecting. (We are firmly in Poe’s point of view, and primed by both the long history of hotshot flyboys in the Star Wars franchise, and our own pleasurable glee at watching successfully executed violence even at high cost, to be sympathetic to him.) And yet: here is Vice-Admiral Amilyn Holdo, a tall thin woman in late middle age, wearing a draped floor-length dress that leaves every curve and angle of her body visible; a woman with dyed-purple hair in a style that requires at the very least a great many pins and more likely a curling iron in addition; a woman wearing star-chart bracelets and lipstick and eye makeup. She looks like a slightly-down-on-her-luck noblewoman from the Old Republic. She’s not just female, she’s femme. And she’s not just femme, she’s soft. All her age is visible; there’s no architectural framing of that body to disguise how gravity has had its way with it. Holdo, in the middle of the remnants of the Resistance, is a kind of exposed that Leia Organa—who does wear those architectural frames around her body, giving her a grandeur and a solidity—never is.

Not what I was expecting. Not the image of a woman who could win a major battle, the sort which a pilot like Poe would remember admiringly. (We don’t know much of anything about the Battle of Chyron Belt—but by Poe’s reaction, it’s a bit legendary.) It isn’t that Poe Dameron’s got a problem with women—his record in both this film and the last shows that he is friends with, respects, and easily follows and leads women—it’s that he’s got a problem with Vice-Admiral Holdo. Who isn’t what he expects. Who has swanned in to the middle of the Resistance’s desperate last stand, her purple hair a shock of color in the middle of the greys and browns and whites of the Resistance’s cobbled-together uniforms, like she’s the Woman from Altair wandered in from an entirely different story.

Then—with Leia’s words in her mouth, no less, telling the assembly to keep the flame of hope alive—she not only gives an order to keep fleeing on an apparent dead-end desperate run just out of range of the First Order’s cannons, but also dismisses Poe entirely. (She’s got good reason to. He’s just been demoted, and, as she herself says, she knows his type: the kind of person who takes big risks and doesn’t follow orders to withdraw.) We, watching, and tightly emotionally attached to Poe’s point of view—through cinematography, Poe being entirely awesome, and generations of ‘let’s blow poo poo up’ saving the day narratives—are absolutely primed to believe that she’s either a traitor or an incompetent.

A traitor? Well, there’s that ‘we have them on the end of a string’ moment from General Hux. It turns out that the string is just a new application of tracking technology which allows the First Order to follow a ship through lightspeed (please insert sidebar here about how this is one of the few solidly missed moments in this film: how did the First Order invent this tech? How long have they had this capability? It’s a glossy, over-too-fast explanation which didn’t sit well with this viewer). What if Vice-Admiral Holdo—who doesn’t let our hero be part of the need-to-know crowd—is the one letting the tracking happen? Women who look like Holdo—femme fatales, even in their middle age, women who look like women who do politics rather than fight, who like frivolous things, jewels and bright hair and makeup even in the darkest moments—we are primed to read women like that as women who will betray. This is an old trope. It’s the liquid drops of tears that you have shed / Shall come again, transformed to orient pearl—that’s Shakespeare’s Richard III, talking to Queen Elizabeth, promising that for her emotional defection (handing over her daughter to be his wife, even after he’s killed her sons), she’ll have material riches. Women who like beautiful things will betray our heroes to keep their beautiful things.

And an incompetent? That one’s simple. Leia Organa is entirely, fully, hugely competent at what she does; Leia Organa, our General, is an image of mature womanhood which is understandable and immensely welcome—she is a leader of men and women, a strength and a power. Her most affecting scene in this film—when we finally get to see her use the Force which is her birthright as much as it has ever been her brother’s—is heartbreakingly brilliant. So is her ability to delegate, to train, to be both centrally necessary and to have a system in place for when she is incapacitated. But Holdo looks like the opposite of Leia—Holdo looks like an inexperienced woman using another woman’s words, a pale substitute, a coward whose story-function is to (like so many middle-aged female characters in film) keep our heroes down. This too is a familiar trope, and we are set up to expect it by how Holdo dresses and behaves.

But that’s not how it goes. Not what I expected—well, not what we expect either, watching. Turns out that Vice-Admiral Holdo’s plan, while desperate, is exactly what the Resistance needed: a chance to get to an old Rebel base with defenses and a communications array. Turns out, also, that she’s not some lesser imitation of Leia, but a friend Leia has had from childhood (check out Claudia Grey’s lovely middle-grade novel Leia: Princess of Alderaan, where she and Holdo meet for the first time and learn to rely on each other). Their goodbyes as Leia boards the escape pod along with the rest of the Resistance are the goodbyes of dear friends who have loved each other well. “I can’t take any more losses,” Leia says, speaking in a sense for all of us. “Sure you can,” Holdo tells her. “You taught me how.”

This is the sort of friend that Leia can rely on to make an ultimate sacrifice, and thus give to us watching the best visual and sound cue in the entire film: having stayed behind to pilot the heavy cruiser Raddus while the rest of the diminished Resistance escapes to the planet Crait, Holdo eventually chooses to drive her ship while it jumps to lightspeed directly through the First Order’s flagship, destroying a great part of it and preventing the destruction of those last few escapees. She is alone when she does this. She is alone, a captain on a bridge, in her dress and her lovely hair, her mouth set in a firm and determined line, and she doesn’t hesitate.

The film’s director, Rian Johnson, gives her—and us—a silent cut as a reward. My whole theater gasped out loud into the quiet. It is the most striking visual and auditory moment in a film full of striking visual and auditory moments.

And Poe Dameron? Poe Dameron watches this too, and he gets it. When Finn—whose arc this film has been about running away, or choosing not to—says that she’s fleeing like a coward, it is Poe who says that she isn’t. It is Poe that asks us to watch what she’s about to do.

Go out like the hero she is: a middle-aged woman hero in a flimsy dress with impractical hair and impeccable military credentials.

What The Last Jedi does—amongst many other things—is present its audience with more than one mode of female power. We have Rey, strong in the Force, dangerous and necessary and emerging from nowhere to be the center of this story; we have Rose, a mechanic and a patriot, willing to make sacrifices and willing to know when sacrifice is not necessary; we have Leia Organa, the pivot on which the Resistance turns. And we have Vice-Admiral Amilyn Holdo, who looks like none of what we expect. Who is nevertheless what the Resistance needs, and worth Poe’s respect, and worth ours.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

The first time we see Vice-Admiral Holdo in The Last Jedi, we see her through the eyes of Poe Dameron: hotshot flyboy, recently slapped down twice in the Resistance’s scramble to evacuate their compromised base. The first blow to Poe’s ego and stability is his demotion from Commander to Captain by General Leia Organa herself, a suitable reprimand for spearheading the devastatingly costly bombing run which provides the film with its opening set-piece. No sooner has Poe processed this—if indeed he has processed it—than he’s knocked further off balance by the loss of all of the Resistance high command save Leia, who is comatose and out of commission. In this state—stripped of his expected personal authority, with the usual structures of command which he relies on decimated—he looks at the new leader of the remaining Resistance fleet and says incredulously to another pilot: “That’s Admiral Holdo? Battle of Chyron Belt Admiral Holdo? …not what I was expecting.”

Nor is Holdo what the viewer is, perhaps, expecting. (We are firmly in Poe’s point of view, and primed by both the long history of hotshot flyboys in the Star Wars franchise, and our own pleasurable glee at watching successfully executed violence even at high cost, to be sympathetic to him.) And yet: here is Vice-Admiral Amilyn Holdo, a tall thin woman in late middle age, wearing a draped floor-length dress that leaves every curve and angle of her body visible; a woman with dyed-purple hair in a style that requires at the very least a great many pins and more likely a curling iron in addition; a woman wearing star-chart bracelets and lipstick and eye makeup. She looks like a slightly-down-on-her-luck noblewoman from the Old Republic. She’s not just female, she’s femme. And she’s not just femme, she’s soft. All her age is visible; there’s no architectural framing of that body to disguise how gravity has had its way with it. Holdo, in the middle of the remnants of the Resistance, is a kind of exposed that Leia Organa—who does wear those architectural frames around her body, giving her a grandeur and a solidity—never is.

Not what I was expecting. Not the image of a woman who could win a major battle, the sort which a pilot like Poe would remember admiringly. (We don’t know much of anything about the Battle of Chyron Belt—but by Poe’s reaction, it’s a bit legendary.) It isn’t that Poe Dameron’s got a problem with women—his record in both this film and the last shows that he is friends with, respects, and easily follows and leads women—it’s that he’s got a problem with Vice-Admiral Holdo. Who isn’t what he expects. Who has swanned in to the middle of the Resistance’s desperate last stand, her purple hair a shock of color in the middle of the greys and browns and whites of the Resistance’s cobbled-together uniforms, like she’s the Woman from Altair wandered in from an entirely different story.

Then—with Leia’s words in her mouth, no less, telling the assembly to keep the flame of hope alive—she not only gives an order to keep fleeing on an apparent dead-end desperate run just out of range of the First Order’s cannons, but also dismisses Poe entirely. (She’s got good reason to. He’s just been demoted, and, as she herself says, she knows his type: the kind of person who takes big risks and doesn’t follow orders to withdraw.) We, watching, and tightly emotionally attached to Poe’s point of view—through cinematography, Poe being entirely awesome, and generations of ‘let’s blow poo poo up’ saving the day narratives—are absolutely primed to believe that she’s either a traitor or an incompetent.

A traitor? Well, there’s that ‘we have them on the end of a string’ moment from General Hux. It turns out that the string is just a new application of tracking technology which allows the First Order to follow a ship through lightspeed (please insert sidebar here about how this is one of the few solidly missed moments in this film: how did the First Order invent this tech? How long have they had this capability? It’s a glossy, over-too-fast explanation which didn’t sit well with this viewer). What if Vice-Admiral Holdo—who doesn’t let our hero be part of the need-to-know crowd—is the one letting the tracking happen? Women who look like Holdo—femme fatales, even in their middle age, women who look like women who do politics rather than fight, who like frivolous things, jewels and bright hair and makeup even in the darkest moments—we are primed to read women like that as women who will betray. This is an old trope. It’s the liquid drops of tears that you have shed / Shall come again, transformed to orient pearl—that’s Shakespeare’s Richard III, talking to Queen Elizabeth, promising that for her emotional defection (handing over her daughter to be his wife, even after he’s killed her sons), she’ll have material riches. Women who like beautiful things will betray our heroes to keep their beautiful things.

And an incompetent? That one’s simple. Leia Organa is entirely, fully, hugely competent at what she does; Leia Organa, our General, is an image of mature womanhood which is understandable and immensely welcome—she is a leader of men and women, a strength and a power. Her most affecting scene in this film—when we finally get to see her use the Force which is her birthright as much as it has ever been her brother’s—is heartbreakingly brilliant. So is her ability to delegate, to train, to be both centrally necessary and to have a system in place for when she is incapacitated. But Holdo looks like the opposite of Leia—Holdo looks like an inexperienced woman using another woman’s words, a pale substitute, a coward whose story-function is to (like so many middle-aged female characters in film) keep our heroes down. This too is a familiar trope, and we are set up to expect it by how Holdo dresses and behaves.

But that’s not how it goes. Not what I expected—well, not what we expect either, watching. Turns out that Vice-Admiral Holdo’s plan, while desperate, is exactly what the Resistance needed: a chance to get to an old Rebel base with defenses and a communications array. Turns out, also, that she’s not some lesser imitation of Leia, but a friend Leia has had from childhood (check out Claudia Grey’s lovely middle-grade novel Leia: Princess of Alderaan, where she and Holdo meet for the first time and learn to rely on each other). Their goodbyes as Leia boards the escape pod along with the rest of the Resistance are the goodbyes of dear friends who have loved each other well. “I can’t take any more losses,” Leia says, speaking in a sense for all of us. “Sure you can,” Holdo tells her. “You taught me how.”

This is the sort of friend that Leia can rely on to make an ultimate sacrifice, and thus give to us watching the best visual and sound cue in the entire film: having stayed behind to pilot the heavy cruiser Raddus while the rest of the diminished Resistance escapes to the planet Crait, Holdo eventually chooses to drive her ship while it jumps to lightspeed directly through the First Order’s flagship, destroying a great part of it and preventing the destruction of those last few escapees. She is alone when she does this. She is alone, a captain on a bridge, in her dress and her lovely hair, her mouth set in a firm and determined line, and she doesn’t hesitate.

The film’s director, Rian Johnson, gives her—and us—a silent cut as a reward. My whole theater gasped out loud into the quiet. It is the most striking visual and auditory moment in a film full of striking visual and auditory moments.

And Poe Dameron? Poe Dameron watches this too, and he gets it. When Finn—whose arc this film has been about running away, or choosing not to—says that she’s fleeing like a coward, it is Poe who says that she isn’t. It is Poe that asks us to watch what she’s about to do.

Go out like the hero she is: a middle-aged woman hero in a flimsy dress with impractical hair and impeccable military credentials.

What The Last Jedi does—amongst many other things—is present its audience with more than one mode of female power. We have Rey, strong in the Force, dangerous and necessary and emerging from nowhere to be the center of this story; we have Rose, a mechanic and a patriot, willing to make sacrifices and willing to know when sacrifice is not necessary; we have Leia Organa, the pivot on which the Resistance turns. And we have Vice-Admiral Amilyn Holdo, who looks like none of what we expect. Who is nevertheless what the Resistance needs, and worth Poe’s respect, and worth ours.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They should make a sequel to Jedi Academy. That game was fun.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I hope Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy focuses on Amilyn Holdo's home planet. I have never wanted something more than this.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gaunab posted:

They should make a sequel to Jedi Academy. That game was fun.

:agreed:

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

This post made me Pokémon Go to the bathroom in my pants

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vim Fuego posted:

:itwaspoo:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bogus Adventure posted:

I hope Rian Johnson's Star Wars trilogy focuses on Amilyn Holdo's home planet. I have never wanted something more than this.

Gatalenta was a warm, uncommonly tranquil planet famed for its tea, lengthy, erudite poetry and meditative retreats. Natives of Gatalenta were renowned for their calmness and serenity, and rose each day to thank the planet's multiple suns for rising. Love and compassion were taught and practiced fondly by the people of Gatalenta, and crying openly was considered a virtue and proof of a caring heart.[1] The Gatalentan people were also known for living austerely, with the only colorful parts of their attire being traditional red cloaks. They were ruled by the Council of Mothers. Slavery was illegal on the planet, and slaves were not allowed to be brought to the planet. If a slave was brought there, and their master was caught, the slave was set free.[2] A member of the New Republic, Gatalenta was represented in the Galactic Senate for over twenty years by Senator Tai-Lin Garr. New Republic pilot Joph Seastriker also came from Gatalenta,[1] as did Resistance Vice Admiral[3] Amilyn Holdo.[2] In the years before the Galactic Civil War, Gatalenta had a strong Jedi tradition, and the old Jedi legends remained alive on Gatalenta in spite of the Jedi Purge. In fact, Gatalenta became one of Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker's first destinations when he began studying the history of the Jedi Order.[1]

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i don't know what the heck you nerds are talking about now. someone post the pic of the moon falling chewbacca's head

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bea arthur was the owner of the cantina

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holdo is pretty awesome because the whole time she fronts like she's got this slick plan about to unfold and scolds people for not trusting in her galaxy brain - but then it turns out she's not Thrawn and has no plan whatsoever. Subverted!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i don't know what the heck you nerds are talking about now. someone post the pic of the moon falling chewbacca's head

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

don't talk back to me son of chewbacca

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Moridin920 posted:

Holdo is pretty awesome because the whole time she fronts like she's got this slick plan about to unfold and scolds people for not trusting in her galaxy brain - but then it turns out she's not Thrawn and has no plan whatsoever. Subverted!

She did have a plan but it was originally Leia’s plan, which for some reason she didn’t tell the dude running the fighter squadrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Holdo did 9/11