Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If Laura had just waited for a response from atlus/the songwriters/the singer before publishing, this whole fiasco could have been avoided.

As is, it looks like she wrote an accusation rather than a news article.

edit:
new development in the story.
https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1119226074678865920

So apparently she's getting thrown under the bus by Kotaku?

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Man there is no phrase that gets me to tune out faster than virtue signaling.

That's a real bad article though

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Considering laura kate dale's history of lying about 'news', not really a surprise.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Seems like an absolute clusterfuck to me, the article clearly didn't need to go up when it did (unless you really want those clicks while Smash/Persona are in the news I guess.... hmmm) but with the retraction article and also keeping the original article with a correction up seems like the correct course of action and like it should be the end of it? Except of course everything is part of this ongoing culture war poo poo now so you have people throwing transphobic and ableist slurs around, demanding she be fired (I've seen her reporting, never really been impressed tbh), gamergatery types going all out and all the other poo poo.

She does seem like a crap journo though aside from all that, the main thing she seems notable for is leaking the existence of games and then going "See! I told you it existed" on twitter when they get confirmed by their dev. Also getting indignant when they initially deny the existence of said game because of PR rollout plans or they have like an actual announcement thing planned. Oh and doing articles about arses.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 19, 2019

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah she's not really a great journalist but drat I'm gonna say this is all falls on the EIC

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Pharohman777 posted:

If Laura had just waited for a response from atlus/the songwriters/the singer before publishing, this whole fiasco could have been avoided.

As is, it looks like she wrote an accusation rather than a news article.

edit:
new development in the story.
https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1119226074678865920

So apparently she's getting thrown under the bus by Kotaku?

lol writer for redstate and daily caller maybe don't signal boost this person

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Regardless of Narwitz' politics, nothing they said (with regards to Dale's history of blatantly lying and trying to ruin people's reputations for 0 reason) is wrong.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
She's a lovely journalist and should lose her job

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

To give an idea of how off-base Laura was, even the users of RESETera, a notoriously toxic forum in which those who expressed wrong think outside of the general far left woke consensus often get banned

quote:

Laura Kate Dale is just another identity politicking outrage culture baiting writer, who has made a career out of leveraging her status as an autistic trans woman to reap the benefits and rewards of a new age of game journalism that doesn’t put facts first, but identity and politics.

quote:

This industry has massive problems, and until journalists leave their petty social politics at the door, I’m afraid nothing will soon change. Too many sites have stopped being the deliverers of truth. Opinion and lies have become the mainstream while facts have been left behind.

this person sucks more than laura kate dale, lol

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

thebardyspoon posted:

the article clearly didn't need to go up when it did (unless you really want those clicks while Smash/Persona are in the news I guess.... hmmm)

This is the only reason most articles exist. Like, if you aren't trying to cash in on the current Sekiro hype train and garner ad revenue, why the hell would PCGamer ever bother publishing a story about a writer using cheats to beat a boss? Where's all the articles about "I used an emulator to grind in an old RPG" in that case? Where's all the "I used a walkthrough to beat a game" articles if that's actually something you think people are interested in reading? 90% of gaming news sites have articles written by freelancers who get paid by story and per click, so you try to maximize both. My favorite example of this is the Kotaku article about a Radiata Stories retrospective, and then in the last paragraph they say they only played it for two hours. Just gotta churn out that story to cash in. Hell, I've seen Kotaku articles with the writer's Patreon links in their bio at the end. It's all about getting that dollar.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

Regardless of Narwitz' politics, nothing they said (with regards to Dale's history of blatantly lying and trying to ruin people's reputations for 0 reason) is wrong.

Considering the person's politics, the intent behind saying it is called into question. Judging from that person's youtube content and the places they write for, I don't think it has anything to do with good faith "journalistic integrity" positions. Firebert is right, don't signal boost people like that. They don't give a poo poo about any of this other than to use this incident as a cudgel against a trans person who probably has leftist political positions. gently caress 'em.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Hell, I've seen Kotaku articles with the writer's Patreon links in their bio at the end. It's all about getting that dollar.
tbh that one just makes me feel bad for the writers

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

That last one seems accurate to me, even if not entirely for the reason the person writing it thinks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Firebert posted:

lol writer for redstate and daily caller maybe don't signal boost this person

pharohman is one of the forum's last surviving GG'ers and he's on his bullshit constantly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

That last one seems accurate to me, even if not entirely for the reason the person writing it thinks.
well, what about her seventeen tweets calling laura kate dale a tranny

Oxxidation posted:

pharohman is one of the forum's last surviving GG'ers and he's on his bullshit constantly

Pharohman777 posted:

And the age of consent in japan is 14.

lmao

we're learning a lot about Our True Selves in this, the persona thread

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Endorph posted:

Being the smallest dick competition is bad enough, who the hell cares?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

well, what about her seventeen tweets calling laura kate dale a tranny

Like I said - Even if not for the reason they think.

Jimbot posted:

use this incident as a cudgel against a trans person

Apparently sophia narwitz is also trans, so take that for whatever it's worth?

e: Basically to sum up my stance, I don't think someone should be excused for being an unethical sleaze just because they're the target of the day for the gamers rise up crowd. Facts should be facts, regardless of who says them and with what motive.

It doesn't mean it's okay to harass LKD either, but I assume nobody here is doing that so that isn't as relevant.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 19, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, Laura Kate Dale's said some weird poo poo and sucks as any kind of 'journalist' but I don't think she should be fired or harassed.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

I mean, Laura Kate Dale's said some weird poo poo and sucks as any kind of 'journalist' but I don't think she should be fired or harassed.

Harassed, no, but I think they deserve to be fired (at least if Kotaku was anything other than a clickbait mill).

Completely fabricating a story - repeatedly, even - shouldn't be okay. That should be the bare minimum we hold someone to if they want to get to call themselves a journalist.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Is it bad that I think so little of Kotaku (or really any other gaming website) that I think Laura shouldn't be fired because even though her article was terrible and awful it's basically exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the article was a dumb idea but the blame is entirely on kotaku's higher ups for pushing it out without any of her input whatsoever, this one time is like barely her fault lol

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the article was a dumb idea but the blame is entirely on kotaku's higher ups for pushing it out without any of her input whatsoever, this one time is like barely her fault lol

I mean, it's not like the article materialized from the ether.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

counterpoint, its video game news and 99.9% of her articles for kotaku are just links to game dev's tweets with 'they announced this' and the other 0.01% are dumb opinion pieces that are mostly labeled as opinion pieces, and their only evidence of any fabrication is 'they said this and then it turned into a giant clusterfuck because the internet is garbage'

like with the 'this person' thing, she probably legitimately felt hurt in that situation from her perspective, vented on twitter, and immediately it became a war with the battle lines drawn because internet. i agree it was a dumb thing to tweet but i cant blame someone for just wanting to get it off the chest via the platform that they've been trained to use for thoughts they want to get off their chest.

and the kidnapping thing is, near as i can tell, 'i had a really uncomfortable experience in an uber and didnt call the police because who the gently caress wants to deal with cops as a transwoman' and, who the gently caress wants to deal with cops as a transwoman.

those are the only two examples of her fabricating stories that nichegamer article actually posits. and only the first one even has anything to do with journalism.

edit: and i mean, 'this kind of sounds like this word, heres atlus's statement on it, judge for yourself' is completely meaningless fluff but isnt really harmful, and that was what she actually wanted to do, its her boss who turned it into all of that (and this is something I believe because it's her boss who put out the dumb not-an-apology and refuses to delete it)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The problem I have with the "this person" thing is, saying "this guy said this and I was offended." is legit, but claiming he said several things he didn't isn't. Especially in this day and age where people are always looking for blood in the water.

Also the other fabricated articles (like the 'e3 leaks') are just inconsequential gaming news, but reporting on game news is literally LKD's job. Not that Kotaku has any journalistic integrity, but it feels like that should be disqualifying for that job.

The moral of the story is kotaku sucks, and employs hacks all the way from the top to the bottom.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

Given that they're British, this seems like a prime opportunity to sue them for libel.

lol relax u geeks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just assumed that was a joke about british legal systems because holy poo poo if it was sincere

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Funny you use the Futaba gif as her even English VA mentions the article:

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
"""retort it"""

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

lol relax u geeks

Not his fault Kotaku didn't apply for their lyrics license

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Erika Harlacher is Ann, not Futaba

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The person posting the gif underneath her, Erica Lindbeck, is Futaba’s VA

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Omega LMAO at people trying to point out Laura Kate Dale is trans in an effort to mitigate blame and troll shield. At the end of the day, she wrote the article, she submitted it, if she was "waiting for input from Atlus or Nintendo" she should have loving well waited to submit it. If you've been in journalism for a greater length of time than four hours you know that editors want articles, they want deadlines met no matter how unreasonable. Everyone is trying to throw each other under the bus, the writer is blaming the editor, the site is blaming the writer, delete the loving article and move on.

For the record, I had no idea this person was trans until I read it in this very thread, and I was mad beforehand.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scrap Dragon posted:

The person posting the gif underneath her, Erica Lindbeck, is Futaba’s VA

Oh, didn't see it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

Oh, didn't see it.

Harlacher is the one who got more upset about it, if it helps.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nucular Carmul posted:

Omega LMAO at people trying to point out Laura Kate Dale is trans in an effort to mitigate blame and troll shield. At the end of the day, she wrote the article, she submitted it, if she was "waiting for input from Atlus or Nintendo" she should have loving well waited to submit it. If you've been in journalism for a greater length of time than four hours you know that editors want articles, they want deadlines met no matter how unreasonable. Everyone is trying to throw each other under the bus, the writer is blaming the editor, the site is blaming the writer, delete the loving article and move on.

For the record, I had no idea this person was trans until I read it in this very thread, and I was mad beforehand.

its both the fault of the writer (laura) and the editor imo. You publish that poo poo then its on you as the editor, because you let that poo poo be published.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/SavedYouAClickV/status/1119267554868985858

Nintendo and atlus have both clarified what the singer was saying, and its not a slur.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dale sucks at her job immensely but that other chick writes for the cesspit of OneAngryGamer which makes her infinitely worse. At the end of the day they're both poo poo-tier gameswriters who make like 10 bux an article while getting pissed off on Twitter and that's punishment enough imo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rosalind posted:

I just got Persona 5 a few weeks ago and cleared the first palace last night and it's like 5/6. Here are some thoughts:

Good lord this game takes its dear sweet time getting started. They seriously could cut like 80% of the first 4-5 hours and communicate the same exact story.

The turn-based combat is actually good because the game is pretty hard. I keep getting absolutely steamrolled by enemies if I gently caress up.

I really like Ryuji but my friend told me that everyone on the internet hates him. He's intense but I think of all the characters I've met so far he's the one who really gives a poo poo.

It's really funny there was that whole scene of naming your group and I picked a name but then everyone just calls us the Phantom Thieves anyway so what's the point of that even?

I keep getting told that I don't have enough guts/kindness/charm to do certain things. Is this supposed to happen or am I way far behind on everything somehow?

Ryuji is great and gets the game going to a strong start

The beginning of the game gives you some of those social stat requirements at a point where it actually isn't possible to have enough for some reason, and some other options can come up that you won't be able to take until much later in the game because they require 4/5 in a stat or whatever. Don't worry about feeling behind, but do take any option to raise them that you can if it doesn't cost time. for example every sunday there's a store in the subway where you can buy a smoothie to raise a stat, and you can buy fertilizer to give to the plant in your room for kindness.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
:lol: For the longest time I thought OneAngryGamer was a parody account till I noticed they were the ones pushing for the hashtag BurkaKombat or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

tbh that one just makes me feel bad for the writers

You see, this way the employer isn't obligated to pay them any kind of living wage. "Just live off of tips, fuckers."