Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All it takes is one M&S Mojito and Diane Abbott is gonna singlehandedly seize control of the train and run over rupert murdoch with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

i am harry posted:

This just reads like you don't know how to cook food
I've never cooked a roast because roasts are bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gorn Myson posted:

Someone said "roast onions", Gorn Myson thought they said "roast opinions" and tried it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gorn Myson posted:

:wrong:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What a loving idiot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like seriously have you only ever eaten at like toby carvery or something?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Toby Young Carvery :vomarine:

Apraxin posted:

Don't worry, the Sun dug up some old racists in positions of authority to make sure everyone knows the nation should be Shocked and Appalled at Diane Abbott's despicable crime:
It's important for home secretaries to obey the law, whether that's common laws since time immemorial like "don't murder people" or laws introduced yesterday by some lank haired coxcomb like "spend more money in bars by not drinking on the train".

But not, curiously, safeguarding laws like "report rapes even if your husband owns shares in the company doing them."

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's frozen full-stop: the region is an economic basket case compared to the Irish Republic. NI was the richest and most industrialised part of Ireland at the time of partition but these days, NI exports approx. £10 bn of goods and services a year, while the Republic exports something like £220 bn. They're so far ahead it's ridiculous.

Yeah, why exactly did this happen? I'm only familiar with the start and end points of this development. Did Ireland (republic of) become much more attractive for industry at some point? Did people in the UK forget that NI exists and therefore stopped investing in it? (The political class of right now seems to have no idea that Ireland or Northern Ireland are things that actually exist, but on the other hand, the current political class are the sorriest bunch of idiot wankers since the invention of idiot wankers, so I'm not sure if it counts.)

What went wrong for the economy of NI?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Same as what went wrong for the economy of Wales and Scotland and Northern England, plus some additional troubles.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

jaete posted:

Yeah, why exactly did this happen? I'm only familiar with the start and end points of this development. Did Ireland (republic of) become much more attractive for industry at some point? Did people in the UK forget that NI exists and therefore stopped investing in it? (The political class of right now seems to have no idea that Ireland or Northern Ireland are things that actually exist, but on the other hand, the current political class are the sorriest bunch of idiot wankers since the invention of idiot wankers, so I'm not sure if it counts.)

it struggled greatly to preserve textiles and shipbuilding as the domain of Protestants, but both turned out to be spectacularly effective industries at replacing labour with capital or foreign labour; neither persisted as mass employers

its major unattractiveness for industry in the deindustrialization window can be summed up in one word: strikes. if we regard the 1970s-1980s North as the sick man of England whilst England was the sick man of Europe, Northern Ireland was even more strike-prone than the rUK for non-steel non-coal industries (which NI doesn't have much in the way of), and sectarian divides served to strengthen labour cohesion at a time of declining enthusiasm for organized labour

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Captain Fargle posted:

Not trees but in tonight's surreptitious planting adventures I'm going out to scatter a box of wildflower seeds I picked up.

I dreamt last night I did this in my shitpile garden. In reality it's mostly nettles and dandelions, think I'd probably need to dig it up a bit first to get wildflowers to take (I already have a couple boxes of seeds)

I've a cayenne indoors that's doing pretty well though!

:toot:

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

jaete posted:

ROI has been seeing a lot of foreign investment, particularly from the US. In the UK, most of that kind of thing gets swallowed up by London or simply goes elsewhere (the ROI) because we seem to be hell-bent on driving our economy off a cliff.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1119372407683334144
https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1119449415301906432

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

it struggled greatly to preserve textiles and shipbuilding as the domain of Protestants, but both turned out to be spectacularly effective industries at replacing labour with capital or foreign labour; neither persisted as mass employers
Leicester did fairly well out of a variety of textiles and shoemaking until about a decade later than deindustrialization hit the heavier industries in Coventry and Sheffield.

Many of the dyeworkers were Hindu rather than Protestant by the 90s though, but I'm not sure that made much of a material difference.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pilchenstein posted:

https://twitter.com/JimBobFreeman/status/982228847050412039
Edit: I don't even remember what this was about but Sugar is easily one of the top 3 worst lords on twitter :v:

You forget I am on Twitter

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
textiles appears to have been the preserve of NI Catholics, now that I look it up, but shipbuilding was indeed a Protestant political football, subject to considerable violence to deter Catholic competition

the point that neither persisted as mass employers remains salient, however

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Irish Catholics don't need boats, they can just ride millstones to Cornwall.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Roasts are loving A but a bad roast is the absolute worst

Some lass from my school keeps instagramming photos of genuinely disgusting roasts with grey gravy as if they're Michelin star worthy and it makes me feel extremely uneasy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ThomasPaine posted:

Roasts are loving A but a bad roast is the absolute worst

Some lass from my school keeps instagramming photos of genuinely disgusting roasts with grey gravy as if they're Michelin star worthy and it makes me feel extremely uneasy.

Post them so we can drag

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RealMediaGB/status/1119339541742194689?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

The Toby Young Carvery :vomarine:

I'm all in favour of carving up Toby Young.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Post them so we can drag

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
They were on a story rather than a normal post so I can't but it's for the best I mean it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just use the snip tool to cut out the photo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

It was weeks ago, it's long gone now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More like greyvy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Coward

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Oh poo poo I looked through her photos and she did upload it

E: editing out personal info

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did once get a distressingly coloured gravy when I put cheese in it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I often think I'm not fussed about the aesthetics of home cooked food and then I see this pile of grays and browns and holy loving Christ.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, still would. And top marks for the giant mutant yorkie.

What's the weird formed mush in the middle?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

That looks like brain matter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Someone made a roast the colour of the 1970s Midlands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does look like it's a photo from a 1970's cookbook that has turned sepia with age.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Applying the Kodachrome filter to my groast.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
All class.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/republican-group-saoradh-say-republican-volunteer-defending-people-murder-journalist-derry/275585

Republican group Saoradh has released a statement claiming that a 'Republican Volunteer' was attempting to 'defend people' from the 'PSNI/RUC' when a young female journalist was murdered in Derry last night.

Lyra McKee (29) died after being struck by a bullet fired by a gunman towards police in the Fanad Drive area of Creggan estate around 11pm in the midst of rioting following police raids in Mulroy Gardens. The PSNI have launched a murder investigation and say they are treating the incident as a "terrorist incident."

Saoradh have consistently denied being the political wing of the armed republican group the 'New IRA.'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It does look like it's a photo from a 1970's cookbook that has turned sepia with age.

My mam still has a cookbook from that era and god the food looks so bad. It's a laugh a page.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I wish these lads would come up with a name that doesn't include 'IRA', it's confusing enough as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Lmao