Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
I can't listen to Jordan Peterson without thinking of this video, which means every time I hear him speak I'm expecting him have an existential episode and then psychologically fracture into autonomous, mutually hostile fragments of id intent on consuming themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB6nLk0B_jQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Otteration posted:

Agreed, but how are they winning right now.

They don't need to be winning to be scary, really. I mean we've had the MAGA bomber, Coast Guard murder man, the Charlottesville mess of MAGA inspired nazis beat and kill people....these morons, if anything, feel even more embolden to act when they aren't winning because that's when they feel threatened the most to act.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Don't forget the Christchurch and Quebec MAGA terrorists. American fascism has been inspiring terrorists around the globe.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Pembroke Fuse posted:

If Zizek's main point is that "political correctness" (sometimes also known as "not treating minorities like poo poo") and leftism are incompatible (or that modern leftism doesn't require the former)... I'm done here. You're gonna see a million more lovely takes about how not calling trans people slurs is "bourgeois civility", etc.
:sigh:

I'll get torn apart for saying this, but there's a reason why the USSR wasn't a human rights utopia. Even the leftest of the left political and economic systems don't automatically have built-in humanism. It takes effort and mindfulness to keep systems empathetic and humane, and sometimes leftists are as lovely about that as right-wing nutjobs.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Hey all I think I found the hottest take yet

I dunno, the one that’s been sticking with me tonight is Nate Silver’s ‘impeaching trump is the same thing as refusing to vote on Merrick Garland”

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

LordSloth posted:

I dunno, the one that’s been sticking with me tonight is Nate Silver’s ‘impeaching trump is the same thing as refusing to vote on Merrick Garland”

Oh gently caress, just stick to numbers, Nate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

LordSloth posted:

And here I was thinking Mitch’s “we can’t seat a justice with an election coming up” was the same thing as “we can’t impeach the president with an election coming up.”

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Petr posted:

I'll get torn apart for saying this, but there's a reason why the USSR wasn't a human rights utopia. Even the leftest of the left political and economic systems don't automatically have built-in humanism. It takes effort and mindfulness to keep systems empathetic and humane, and sometimes leftists are as lovely about that as right-wing nutjobs.

I wondered this too and honestly this is a good explanation of why the USSR and the Soviet satellite states acted the way they did toward their own populations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

heyitsamanda posted:

I also wouldn't call Trump "ineffectual". Kids in cages, 2 SCOTUS seats, making GBS threads on US allies, tariffs that have had horrible effects on certain parts of the US, stroking off NK, irresponsible tax cuts, being the catalyst for attacks on many of our social programs, actively attacking public education. I mean, he's been pretty effective on many fronts.

The scary part is that Trump is relatively ineffectual for how hard the GOP are backing him. If he were competently evil rather than maliciously incompetent and working with a brain made of cheese and focused only on his own comfort and prestige, things could actually be worse.

Nixon with McConnell and company in the Senate would have been dictator for life.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Made it through 2500 posts (just before Mueller report was released) by only reading posts with tweets or pictures. :yum:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Petr posted:

Yeah, unfortunately fear and bigotry does exists irrespective of ideology (lol, Zizek). There is a difference though, leftist ideology isn't built on a foundation of literally murdering/subjugating/removing the 'other' as much as possible, where as it is explicitly a core tenet (if not THE core tenet) of most of right wing ideology - especially nationalist and conservative ideologies. In a lot of Europe there is little difference on the progressive left, between anti-racist and anti-fascists, as the movements grew together a lot in the 80-90s, doesn't seem to be as much the case in the US.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole idea of 'political correctness is just treating people with respect' hasn't really taken off, at all. The whole term seems like a lost cause at this point; the right doesn't give a poo poo or reflexively acts to spite it, while the left is used to seeing it used to punch left at the slightest excuse and drive off vulnerable people for not automatically adhering to :decorum:, the liberal equivalent of 'not an argument' pedantry used to signal to the in-group rather than convince anyone, at worst being cynical, co-opted corporate rear end-covering; how to use the correct language and terms to not appear to be oppressive even as your actual behaviour is horribly oppressive and regressive. I assume Zizek sees it as part of the ideological dead end of class-exclusive liberalism.

If you want to say 'treating people with respect' just say 'treating people with respect' rather than a term that's been a punchline before many of us were born.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Zesty posted:

Made it through 2500 posts (just before Mueller report was released) by only reading posts with tweets or pictures. :yum:

all you missed was the thread eating itself. you made the right call.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

all you missed was the thread eating itself. you made the right call.

This thread gets frankly awful at times, with the endless wrangling between people interpreting the same set of facts in different ways.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The world of people who believe in democracy are watching the United States fall away from democracy.

If you don’t have rule of law then you don’t have a democracy.

This is not just an internal political issue. A continued trump presidency damages America’s ability to interact with other nations. They are learning that they can bribe their agendas forward at the expense of the American people and their allies. That they can say white and do black and not be held accountable as long as they leverage sound bites and a few key positions.

Donald Trump is making the entire planet a shittier place to live.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Looking forward to finding out whether all our various respective chud acquaintances' takes are that "the Mueller report is just a bunch of lies" or "the Mueller report doesn't matter because Trump is great and the Dems are just sore losers"

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/MeetMckayla/status/1114569139174215680?s=19

This thread...gently caress. she might actually beat the cryptkeeper. Fill Congress with these amazing women of color. Holy poo poo am I excited for 2020.

Hoyer is going down

I sent her a message to her describing how my wife almost died not once, but twice during and after childbirth - and the doctors/obgyn misdiagnosed her each time. Hopefully she can use it as part of her platform.

I have good insurance (expensive as gently caress but worth it), had the support of family to allow my wife an additional 3 months to stay out of work to heal after this, but am still dealing with the mis-billings (for the surgery to save her life DURING pregnancy which is over 10k out of pocket they claim), and we are terrified of ever trying again because it's just too drat risky and we don't trust the medical system to have her health and the health of that potential child in mind.

My wife is Italian/Irish, imagine if she was a Black woman...she'd be straight up dead most likely.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Murgos posted:

They are learning that they can bribe their agendas forward at the expense of the American people and their allies. That they can say white and do black and not be held accountable as long as they leverage sound bites and a few key positions.

This is not really new or unique to the Trump administration.

The only real difference with Trump is his incompetence and how blatant he is about it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Looking forward to finding out whether all our various respective chud acquaintances' takes are that "the Mueller report is just a bunch of lies" or "the Mueller report doesn't matter because Trump is great and the Dems are just sore losers"

Mueller didn't say Trump is guilty therefore Trump is innocent, will be the take I expect

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/Aaron8473/status/1119414364212166656

If it's been posted it's probably worth reposting anyway

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Data Graham posted:

that's mostly what i've seen in comment sections. either no acknowledgement of volume 2, or a dismissal since all politicians lie anyway and what really matters is that trump gets poo poo done.

"Trump behaved as a non-career politician would behave when accused falsely and investigated fraudulently. Career politicians are the problem with the Right. I don't care what he said behind he scenes - this is always quite messy, with any POTUS."

also, obviously, they abhor mueller

e:
P.S. an actual NRO headline "The Mueller Report Vindicates Bill Barr"

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 20, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1119572078175367168

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Oh my god, use commas.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

The Russia Hoax is dead, but Donald still sees it. Are we entering the ghost sighting phase of his presidency?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I love Trumps inability to actually let this cool off rather than scream about it endlessly.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

Faustian Bargain posted:

I love Trumps inability to actually let this cool off rather than scream about it endlessly.

Volume II shows a man who can’t relax about his problems. He fixates and then tried to charm, bribe, intimidate his way out of said problems. This is someone who faced real consequences for the first time in his life and fell back on all of his narcissistic tool box.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Faustian Bargain posted:

He's an idiot who is only trying to keep his base happy.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Why would the media want to anger the Polish?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaunab posted:

Why would the media want to anger the Polish?

very funny but if donald trump wanted to mention polish people, he would certainly be using some kind of old-timey ethnic slur

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone who hasn't read the report, this is a pretty good summary:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-mueller-found-russia-and-obstruction-first-analysis

tl;dr
Conspiracy - Can't prove there was intent because that's notoriously hard to do.
Collusion - Can't prove it because it has no real legal definition, although lots of activities that could match a reasonable definition of collusion did exist. There is also the context of obstruction itself.
Obstruction - Provable in six of the ten cases presented.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

This is not really new or unique to the Trump administration.

The only real difference with Trump is his incompetence and how blatant he is about it.

I doubt if it’s something that can be eradicated but it can be minimized and made less effective

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Pembroke Fuse posted:

For anyone who hasn't read the report, this is a pretty good summary:
https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-mueller-found-russia-and-obstruction-first-analysis

tl;dr
Conspiracy - Can't prove there was intent because that's notoriously hard to do.
Collusion - Can't prove it because it has no real legal definition, although lots of activities that could match a reasonable definition of collusion did exist. There is also the context of obstruction itself.
Obstruction - Provable in six of the ten cases presented.

Man, all it would have taken is one of Trump's goons to accept that bag of money offered or promises of Hillary's emails from a russian source and the obstruction stuff might actually mean something.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They have to be specifically staying that's what they are accepting the money for during the transaction.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Taerkar posted:

They have to be specifically staying that's what they are accepting the money for during the transaction.

Oh for sure, but this was never about any true legal proceedings. Trump accomplish paid for russian help to win the election being blared by the media if actually found true would have been enough for true impeachment proceedings in the public eye.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1119342660001648642
https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/1118883303904485378
https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/1119251873838587910

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Otteration posted:

How well is that working out for Fox? How large is the Fox news audience? Large enough for us to give a drat about?

The viewer numbers might not look so impressive, but Fox News caters to a group of people who are white, pretty well-off, and who aren't targeted by systematized voter suppression.

And if it's not Fox News creating a problem, remember that Sinclair Broadcast Group, who are just as conservative (if not worse) has a stranglehold on a lot of local news stations throughout the country and I'm sure that has hampered Democratic efforts to rebuild their grass-roots strength.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/aug/17/sinclair-news-media-fox-trump-white-house-circa-breitbart-news

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

And theres a real chance they did have a smoking gun because Trump is dumb, thus the obstruction.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

don't justify an investigation by how much money it reaped.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole idea of 'political correctness is just treating people with respect' hasn't really taken off, at all. The whole term seems like a lost cause at this point; the right doesn't give a poo poo or reflexively acts to spite it, while the left is used to seeing it used to punch left at the slightest excuse and drive off vulnerable people for not automatically adhering to :decorum:, the liberal equivalent of 'not an argument' pedantry used to signal to the in-group rather than convince anyone, at worst being cynical, co-opted corporate rear end-covering; how to use the correct language and terms to not appear to be oppressive even as your actual behaviour is horribly oppressive and regressive. I assume Zizek sees it as part of the ideological dead end of class-exclusive liberalism.

If you want to say 'treating people with respect' just say 'treating people with respect' rather than a term that's been a punchline before many of us were born.

after all, these are Gamer Words now, and anyone who treats them otherwise is interloping in your culture.

sorry mate the thing that made your idols right wing is not and never was the indignity of being censured for dropping the n-bomb. materialism. look into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

don't justify an investigation by how much money it reaped.

That's a response to the one specific criticism that the investigation was a waste of money.

I also like the implication that he doesn't know the word "espionage".