Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone know offhand what the breakpoint for number of targets is for doing flares instead of single target damage on BLM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Since no one pointed it out yet and there were some legit confused people, the "whm hard" comment was a reference to yoship saying they intend on making whm easier. No further comments have been made, but yes it sounds really stupid so hopefully it was just a poor translation or something.

There's really no way to simplify the class any further, so I'm guessing the intention was more along the lines of "easier to use" (turning Lilies into a more useful/consistent mechanic, reducing the need to hard cast to bring them in line with other healers, etc.).

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Glagha posted:

Does anyone know offhand what the breakpoint for number of targets is for doing flares instead of single target damage on BLM?

If I remember right 3 before Fire4 and 4 after, but the difference at 3 targets is marginal either way.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Rotoru posted:

Fire2 was removed from the 50/60 AoE rotation with the reduction of Transpose's cooldown because Flare really is that good.

This sounded weird to me but I couldn't find a definite source. I wrote some sim code and far as I can tell the breakpoint where adding F2 is better than plain Flare in the 60 rotation is at 4-5 targets. Sim result:

code:
Targets: average potency/s

*** Flare Rotation ***
01: 80.2787
02: 131.017
03: 175.071
04: 212.44
05: 243.124
06: 269.35
07: 295.577
08: 321.804
09: 348.031
10: 374.258
11: 400.485
12: 426.712
13: 452.939
14: 479.166
15: 505.393
16: 531.62
17: 557.847
18: 584.074
19: 610.301

*** 2xF2 Rotation ***
01: 69.4486
02: 120.099
03: 166.495
04: 208.638
05: 246.526
06: 281.578
07: 316.63
08: 351.682
09: 386.734
10: 421.786
11: 456.838
12: 491.89
13: 526.942
14: 561.994
15: 597.046
16: 632.098
17: 667.15
18: 702.202
19: 737.254

*** 3xF2 Rotation ***
01: 66.1467
02: 116.383
03: 163.02
04: 206.058
05: 245.498
06: 282.538
07: 319.578
08: 356.618
09: 393.659
10: 430.699
11: 467.739
12: 504.779
13: 541.819
14: 578.86
15: 615.9
16: 652.94
17: 689.98
18: 727.021
19: 764.061
My little garbage BLM sim basically runs a fixed rotation for 500 minutes, no consideration for cooldowns, ethers, triplecasts, etc; just the base rotation. That particular run used the assumption that you could T2 instantly after Transpose. Adding a delay after Transpose favors the longer rotations. It's likely my math or code has some bugs in it somewhere but the output looks pretty reasonable. Analytically for 3 targets I get:

code:
time: spell: potency

*** Flare Rotation ***
3:      T2: 3 * 30 + dot
6.5:    F3: 240
10.5:   Flare: 1.8 * 2.55 * 260 = 1193.4

dot: 10.5 / 12 * 12 / 3 * 3 * 30 = 10.5 * 30 = 315
Total: 3 * 30 + 315 + 240 + 1193.4 = 1838.4
Average: 175.1

*** 2x F2 Rotation ***
3:    T2: 3 * 30 + dot
6.5:  F3: 240
9.5:  F2: 1.8 * 3 * 80 = 432
12.5: F2: 432
16.5: Flare: 1193.4

dot: 12 / 3 * 3 * 30 = 12 * 30 = 360
Total: 3 * 30 + 360 + 240 + 2 * 432 + 1193.4 = 2747.4
Average: 166.5
which matches the sim.

This is more effort than level 60 BLM aoe deserves, but I like writing sims.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
None of the sims I've seen factor in crit or direct hit into the equation, most of which I've seen have similar results to yours. However, a 260 potency crit or dh flare has a lot more value with than an 80 potency f2. That's going to throw the breakpoint a bit more into the higher targets. I haven't seen that factor addressed yet.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
So I signed up for this game. It said Excalibur was a "legacy" shard, but let me create a character anyway. Does that mean anything? Also, is there anything I should be doing other than just following the main quest until I finish ARR?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Preechr posted:

So I signed up for this game. It said Excalibur was a "legacy" shard, but let me create a character anyway. Does that mean anything? Also, is there anything I should be doing other than just following the main quest until I finish ARR?

Legacy server just means that it has characters on it who were from 1.0, which maybe meant something back in like 2.0 where they had a decent jumpstart on the economy and such but is completely meaningless now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

There are a lot of side quests but the main ones to look for have a blue plus symbol on them. Those unlock things, but yeah stick to the msq since that opens up most of the game and where a lot of your xp comes from. Unless you get bored and want to do something else for a bit.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

None of the sims I've seen factor in crit or direct hit into the equation, most of which I've seen have similar results to yours. However, a 260 potency crit or dh flare has a lot more value with than an 80 potency f2. That's going to throw the breakpoint a bit more into the higher targets. I haven't seen that factor addressed yet.

I'll certainly have to do that if I want to expand on my little crappy baby sim for more generic scenarios than strict fixed BLM rotations but in this particular case it wouldn't matter. DH, crit and direct crit are strictly proportional so they have no impact on which static rotation is better on average unless you have some skill in the rotation that lets you force them, and BLM does not. In effect you will have one of the F2s crit often enough that it exactly makes up for the occasional Flare crit being more impactful: the numbers will go up versus just looking at base potency over time but the relation will be the same. One effect that I am ignoring is that the short Flare-only rotations have higher variance since the damage is concentrated to fewer discrete events, but I'm not looking at variance.

Thundercloud procs are a more significant gap and something I probably should take into account. I'm not entirely sure what that will favor: the shorter rotations will become less sensitive to Transpose, but the longer rotations will have better thunder dot uptime. To correctly handle all that and the Transpose delay I'd need to get into the server tick rate and the like, though. We'll see how boring the rest of Easter gets...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm not gonna get into the math and thinking part, but I believe you're supposed to use Fire 2 twice before you use flare if you're fighting more than 3 dudes right?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

jokes posted:

I'm not gonna get into the math and thinking part, but I believe you're supposed to use Fire 2 twice before you use flare if you're fighting more than 3 dudes right?

Yep, the AoE rotation I used below 68 was F3-F2-F2-Flare-(convert shenanigans go here)-Transpose-T2-repeat. No ice spells at all. I guess that changes once you get enhanced enochian though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Leofish posted:

New shirt is good

Yeah, it dyes remarkably well.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Tanspose: You'll stop using Transpose for swapping Astral/Umbral during your rotation, but it's still gonna get a lot of use as an "oh gently caress" button during fights for keeping Enochian up. Practising your rotation on a dummy is all nice and dandy, but most of the time you will have to move and cancel a cast during a fight, and swiftcast/triplecast won't always be up to save you. If you're casting your F1 to get back into Astral and need to interrupt, odds are you won't be able to get it off in time before Enochian drops, so you can traspose to save it. You can also use it to keep Enochian up between encounters, you'll see BLMs doing this while running.

Sharpcast: Don't sharpcast your f1s, sharpcast your thunders. Thunder procs are a *fuckload* of damage in the long run.

So for single target 'opener' it'll look like:
Sharpcast -> b3 -> t3 -> pop enochian and leylines -> b4 -> f3 -> 3xf4 (3 F4s will leave you with ~3 seconds in your Astral, enough time to fast f1 and reset it - you can sneak in 4 while leylining, but eh, use that wiggle room to move around a bit if needed) f1 for astral reset, 3xf4 -> start over from b3

For AoE, I usually spam f2 until low on mana then swiftcast -> flare -> convert -> f2 -> b3 since I hate slowcasting flare and don't like that dead cast time after you traspose at 0mp, but you can do:

swiftcast -> flare -> convert -> hardcast flare -> traspose then wait for a server tick and start over with b3.

Also this is gonna be your single target rotation at 70:
(Reposting this because it's a really good 'guide' and Emily's my BLM Sensei. Also that 4th image is a foul :v: )
https://twitter.com/PAMaster2/status/1042628474383425541

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
please do not use fire 2

I am begging you

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Actually do because you'll need to get used to it for when they remove Flare. :unsmigghh:

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
You should also use Transpose before Fire 3 if you have a firestarter proc as you come out of Umbral Ice.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edmond Dantes posted:

Tanspose: You'll stop using Transpose for swapping Astral/Umbral during your rotation, but it's still gonna get a lot of use as an "oh gently caress" button during fights for keeping Enochian up. Practising your rotation on a dummy is all nice and dandy, but most of the time you will have to move and cancel a cast during a fight, and swiftcast/triplecast won't always be up to save you. If you're casting your F1 to get back into Astral and need to interrupt, odds are you won't be able to get it off in time before Enochian drops, so you can traspose to save it. You can also use it to keep Enochian up between encounters, you'll see BLMs doing this while running.

Sharpcast: Don't sharpcast your f1s, sharpcast your thunders. Thunder procs are a *fuckload* of damage in the long run.

So for single target 'opener' it'll look like:
Sharpcast -> b3 -> t3 -> pop enochian and leylines -> b4 -> f3 -> 3xf4 (3 F4s will leave you with ~3 seconds in your Astral, enough time to fast f1 and reset it - you can sneak in 4 while leylining, but eh, use that wiggle room to move around a bit if needed) f1 for astral reset, 3xf4 -> start over from b3

For AoE, I usually spam f2 until low on mana then swiftcast -> flare -> convert -> f2 -> b3 since I hate slowcasting flare and don't like that dead cast time after you traspose at 0mp, but you can do:

swiftcast -> flare -> convert -> hardcast flare -> traspose then wait for a server tick and start over with b3.

Also this is gonna be your single target rotation at 70:
(Reposting this because it's a really good 'guide' and Emily's my BLM Sensei. Also that 4th image is a foul :v: )
https://twitter.com/PAMaster2/status/1042628474383425541

This and all of the other helpful BLM posts have been excellent, thanks!

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
I'd argue that, at least in savage content, sharpcasting Fire 1 is better because it lets you move around more without having to worry about your astral fire running out and having to end your fire phase without casting all of your Fire 4s.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah, I've always heard that the difference is not worth the increased hassle on your rotation. The BLM spreadsheet also seems to think that the difference is quite small, at least in my gear.

Edit: It is, in fact, a DPS gain of less than a third of a percent according to the spreadsheet, which I'm assuming presumes I play perfectly.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2019

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

Countblanc posted:

Since no one pointed it out yet and there were some legit confused people, the "whm hard" comment was a reference to yoship saying they intend on making whm easier.

When the party is at max health, a giant red sign will appear that says "DO DPS NOW" and highlights Stone, Aero, and Holy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rastan Beeza posted:

When the party is at max health, a giant red sign will appear that says "DO DPS NOW" and highlights Stone, Aero, and Holy. stone, aero and holy will replace all cure and medica spells

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Make it so that Stone spells heal the party.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Dr Pepper posted:

Make it so that Stone Holy spells heal the party.

Here we go, this way the tank has to pull big to get enough healing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't that just Assize?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Stone, Aero, and Holy should have been the spells that generate lilies, not Cure 1.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
Please watch my video, I spent a frankly embarassing amount of time making it.
If you're part of the venn diagram intersection of Six Feet Under and FFXIV fans you may particularly enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-PJRbZ_AxQ

:siren: It contains all the spoilers, don't watch it unless you're fully up to date with the story.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

[maximum downshifting and rev matching for accurate racing lines intensifies]

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
IIRC when you compare the odds of a regular F1 spell proccing Firestarter plus Firestarter’s damage against the odds of a regular T3 spell proccing Thundercloud plus Thundercloud’s damage, they come out very close. If you have the choice you probably want to Sharpcast a thunder spell, but I think the main concern is using each freshly cooled down Sharpcast as soon as possible to maximize the total Sharpcasts you trigger over the span of a fight.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I use Sharpcast + Swiftcast to be able to cast four Fire IVs, a Fire 1, then however many Fire IVs finish off my mana, then a Fire 3 followed by a Blizzard 3 without dropping Enochian.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BLM glamours I'm happy with:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

What is that staff?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cabbit posted:

What is that staff?

Shantoto's Staff. It's a common Eureka drop so you can probably MB it for like 500 gil

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

The worst part isn't even how close you are, it's that becuase the last number is off, all the other numbers are forfeit.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I shed a tear.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

why does this game do this to me

why do the vanu have the worst dailies in the game?

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE DANCE COMMANDER EVERY SINGLE loving DAY?!?

Just a few more days until I can smugly post screenshots of all my maxed out reps and DoH/DoL jobs. Have you also done the ARR ones? Those aren't quite as bad; the quests themselves are obnoxious, but you don't need nearly as much rep (except for Ixal, but if you've done Moogle I'm guessing you've already done them).

Vanu was the loving worst, because that zone is so huge. Closely followed by Sylph because of the quests where you had to walk around invisible or riding the goobue (which meant I couldn't just sweat through once).

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Just a few more days until I can smugly post screenshots of all my maxed out reps and DoH/DoL jobs. Have you also done the ARR ones? Those aren't quite as bad; the quests themselves are obnoxious, but you don't need nearly as much rep (except for Ixal, but if you've done Moogle I'm guessing you've already done them).

Vanu was the loving worst, because that zone is so huge. Closely followed by Sylph because of the quests where you had to walk around invisible or riding the goobue (which meant I couldn't just sweat through once).

yeah i've done ixal, all of HW and 2/3 stormblood (working on namazu)

what i would post a screenshot of if it wasn't so obnoxious is that i finally have max mount speed in all zones! :toot:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The worst part about being a lowly Level 53 Monk is that there's nothing really cool to wear!! I expect this of course, you obviously don't get the good stuff until later.

Also, I've kinda forgetten the Monk rotation in the months since I've last played. I'm sure I'll need to relearn for whatever dungeon I'll have to do, but at least for now I can get by without worrying too much about it.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

I'm so sorry. I've been there before too.

It sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Joke's on you, suckers: I've never even gotten close to any of the winning numbers.