Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
They sit in there pretty well as long as you don't lean the tire the wrong way. It's a slip fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

These feel looser than even a slip fit to me. I'll give it a shot later this week.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it doesn't work out I'll just spray bomb the hub centers. I suppose I'll give them another shot when the spacers and non-spline-drive lug nuts show up.

The small size Country Crock butter tubs fit perfectly.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I've been getting the classic ujoint clunk for a while now so I checked them (and then had them double checked) and they solid. So what else could make that clunk? Maybe something in my SYE?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Bit the bullet and had a shop install my rear shocks yesterday, jesus it drives so much better now. Also went out and had that un-needed cat cut out and a new flowmaster muffler put in. I'll say this, despite my apprehension at putting a "louder" muffler in, it actually came out really nice on the 4.0 with a low gurgle and a noise that's not obnoxious at highway speeds.

Now I just need to figure out what the gently caress else is rattling under the hood every time I hit a bump and I'll be good to go (I think its still the exhaust).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Karma Comedian posted:

I've been getting the classic ujoint clunk for a while now so I checked them (and then had them double checked) and they solid. So what else could make that clunk? Maybe something in my SYE?

You replaced them anyway right? Usually once you're at the point of checking them you might as well put in new ones.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 16, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've been watching SYE install videos since one of those will probably be my first real upgrade on the TJ, and I don't think it's even possible for anything in there to clunk.

Front axle shaft U-joints maybe?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
When my front sway bar bushings were shot it made a ton of rattles. It also loosened the quick disconnects I had on near the wheels and those rattled like crazy too. So you might just start grabbing things and see what moves under the frontend. Really nothing at all should move or shimmy when the wheels are on the ground. My sway bar was completely loose and could twist and flop around with ease (the bushings were totally disintegrated).

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

I worked in the swing-out some more yesterday. I finished the fluid storage compartment, which consists of a shelf for the bottles to sit on and a bar that more or less locks them in place. A bungee across the middle seems like it will do the rest of the job of keeping things put.

I didn't want to go into town to find a wingnut so I made one!

Yesterday I added a supporting arm across the upper part of the swingout. A spring pin on one side will secure it to the body of the Jeep, using a bracket that I still need to make. I decided not to cap off the tube and to use it for storage instead, so I built a basic lid and welded in a nut to secure it shut. It will be a great place to keep things like a pipe breaker bar, tire iron, and the bottle jack cranking extensions.

Krakkles posted:

What welder are you using to do all this? I think this is awesome.

It's a Forney Easyweld 120st stick welder and I'm using 3/32" 6013 rod. Here are some of my welds - the rest of them look worse :shobon:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's a Forney Easyweld 120st stick welder and I'm using 3/32" 6013 rod. Here are some of my welds - the rest of them look worse :shobon:
Awesome, thank you! The real reason I'm asking - I'm looking to start learning how to weld, and I was basically thinking if I could accomplish the stuff you're doing, I'd be pretty happy. And, specifically, wondering if I can grab a 120V welder (which this appears to be) and do it, as I don't see 240V in my near future.

Dude, you're doing awesome stuff here, and you're learning! Besides, there's always grinders and paint :)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Astonishing Wang posted:

You replaced them anyway right? Usually once you're at the point of checking them you might as well put in new ones.

Pffffft I'm not made of money here

On a serious note, no, I replaced them when I did the axle swap and they have less than 2k miles on them. The sound sounds SO MUCH like a U-Joint that I thought maybe. But after getting under there and twisting the drive shaft back and forth without even a hint of movement they seem to be fine.

Your carrier looks amazing

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've been watching SYE install videos since one of those will probably be my first real upgrade on the TJ, and I don't think it's even possible for anything in there to clunk.

Front axle shaft U-joints maybe?

Would they clunk even in 2wd?

And also: Its definitely coming from the center/rear of the vehicle.

mod sassinator posted:

When my front sway bar bushings were shot it made a ton of rattles. It also loosened the quick disconnects I had on near the wheels and those rattled like crazy too. So you might just start grabbing things and see what moves under the frontend. Really nothing at all should move or shimmy when the wheels are on the ground. My sway bar was completely loose and could twist and flop around with ease (the bushings were totally disintegrated).

Oh god, front end stuff is further down the restoration list - I finally have the motor running right and a gas gauge in it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Karma Comedian posted:

Would they clunk even in 2wd?

And also: Its definitely coming from the center/rear of the vehicle.

Maaaaaaybe?

Are you so sure it's driveline? TJ, right? Seems like it could be the mount between the tcase/trans and the belly pan, the belly pan coming loose from the frame, any of the control arm bushings, or even sway bar links / bushings.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pretty sure "yes". I don't think they've used disconnect axles in Jeeps since maybe the early 90s? So they'd always be engaged and would pretty definitely clunk.

Googling this led me to realize that they actually DID bring back front axle disconnects ... for the JL. :lol:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Pretty sure "yes". I don't think they've used disconnect axles in Jeeps since maybe the early 90s? So they'd always be engaged and would pretty definitely clunk.

Googling this led me to realize that they actually DID bring back front axle disconnects ... for the JL. :lol:

Of course for the JL they did it in the stupidest modern car way ever and made it an unservicable electronic disconnect that only unlocks one wheel and requires programming to delete the feature on the computer if you delete it physically or replace the axle.

Just one more important thing to fry on the trail when you need it the most..

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Would they still clunk with the transfer case in 2WD and thus no real load on them other than spinning up the front driveshaft? Honestly asking, this TJ is the first vehicle I've owned with U-joints up there.

Speaking of the TJ... I'm split on how to handle armor underneath. The oil pan already has a dent from the original owner, and I've been on a run with another TJ that spent the rest of the day on a tow rope after pancaking its oil pan, so I definitely want to get it armored up as soon as I can. The question is how much.

Option 1 would be a Metalcloak oil pan skid, since I can pretty much throw that on now for cheap. Downside is it won't tie in directly to any other armor I add. If I go this I'd probably add the Barnes 4x4 bolt-on transfer case skid later on when I do a SYE.
Option 2 would be to go for a full UCF undertray, but at that point I'd need to remove the transfer case drop, and to do that I'd need to do a SYE.
Option 3, I guess, would be to do the oil pan only for now, and do the UCF setup later when I do the SYE and sell the Metalcloak.

Mostly I don't want to have to spend $600-800 on skid plates plus that same amount again on a SYE, all right after buying the drat thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
An SYE costs like 180 bucks plus a driveshaft now. They used to be pretty expensive though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
SYEs are definitely a better solution than a transmission drop.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It already has the drop, but yes I definitely want to put an sye on it and get rid of the drop.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Just passed the 5k mark in my 2018 GC. Already have a driver mirror intermittent Auto dim problem and my center console driver side plastic trim is out of place. It catches on the seat when it's moved way up.

Looks like that 2k I spent on the extended warranty will probably be put to use.

But I love this truck. I'm in charge of ordering fleet cars for my work and ordered a black 19 Cherokee trailhawk to match my GC. Looks like it comes with a turbo 4.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

After listening really closely with the idea that it could possibly be the fronts, it definitely sounds like it's coming from almost directly under the driver seat, right around where the front shaft connects to the t-case, so that's probably the right answer.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

After listening really closely with the idea that it could possibly be the fronts, it definitely sounds like it's coming from almost directly under the driver seat, right around where the front shaft connects to the t-case, so that's probably the right answer.

Have you checked the transfer case shifter linkage? Mine has a tendency to make a lot of clunks. Supposedly the bushings wear out a lot

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I finally got the bracket bolted on to the Jeep. The support arm of the tire carrier locks in to the bracket with a spring pin and SHOULD keep this bastard from vibrating.

I still need to grind and paint, and get matching 1/2" bolts to secure it to the tub.

I'm also going to weld some 5/8" washer around the spring pin to give it a more than 3/16" contact patch.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 19, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Smart move, vibration will eat the steel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone with a TJ or older Wrangler running a dashcam? Trying to figure out how to best run the wiring since there's not really any trim to hide it behind and no EVIC to steal power from like I did on the WJ.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone with a TJ or older Wrangler running a dashcam? Trying to figure out how to best run the wiring since there's not really any trim to hide it behind and no EVIC to steal power from like I did on the WJ.

I cut a small slit in the windshield rubber and ran the cable around behind that. I added a second 12v socket on the left side of the center console down closest to the gas pedal and that's where the camera plugs in.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 19, 2019

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Well, Jeep closed out Cherokee trailhawk ordering to the federal government last week before I could place an order. Apparently I can place a Wrangler Rubicon order though. I'm sure that my mid 40s year old body would welcome a 80 minute long commute in traffic every day in that...

Guess I'm waiting until next fiscal year.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Why do you think a Rubicon would be uncomfortable? Coil springs aren't leaf springs.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Well, Jeep closed out Cherokee trailhawk ordering to the federal government last week before I could place an order. Apparently I can place a Wrangler Rubicon order though. I'm sure that my mid 40s year old body would welcome a 80 minute long commute in traffic every day in that...

Guess I'm waiting until next fiscal year.

You dont need an SUV or a truck at all, just get a car with good gas.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Why? Your tax dollars pay for the gas and maintenance...

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Astonishing Wang posted:

Why do you think a Rubicon would be uncomfortable? Coil springs aren't leaf springs.

I drove one at the auto show last year. Didn't seem like I'd enjoy spending almost 3 hours a day every day in it which is why I bought a GC.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Get a Jeep for fun and buy Prius for the 3 hour commute with the money you save in gas.

Although I finally got to take down the top for my drive home last week and that made traffic a whole lot nicer. Wouldn’t apply to a GC though.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Get a Jeep for fun and buy Prius for the 3 hour commute with the money you save in gas.

Although I finally got to take down the top for my drive home last week and that made traffic a whole lot nicer. Wouldn’t apply to a GC though.

I'm surprised you survived the drive home! It must have been unbearably uncomfortable driving in a wrangler for more than 0.003 seconds on a flat road!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tuna posted:

I'm surprised you survived the drive home! It must have been unbearably uncomfortable driving in a wrangler for more than 0.003 seconds on a flat road!

I can’t fault someone for not wanting to ride in a Wrangler for 3 hours a day 5 days a week. The new Wranglers are fairly comfortable though.

I also can’t imagine driving a GC 3 hours a day 5 days a week hauling no one around but myself.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You're probably also not an absolute turd that purposefully wastes other people's resources, either, though.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry to create so much hate over my thoughts on my government car choice. I can't order a small hybrid because I need a vehicle that has a bit of room and other options I need for my job nor does my agency allow them. I am also limited to full size sedans, compact/midsize SUVs and minivans by mostly traditional American manufacturers (Ford, gm, fca) I could request a pickup if I wanted to.

I don't think a Wrangler would be a good car for me to use over the next four years. My GC is my personal, mostly weekend car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Sorry to create so much hate over my thoughts on my government car choice. I can't order a small hybrid because I need a vehicle that has a bit of room and other options I need for my job nor does my agency allow them. I am also limited to full size sedans, compact/midsize SUVs and minivans by mostly traditional American manufacturers (Ford, gm, fca) I could request a pickup if I wanted to.

I don't think a Wrangler would be a good car for me to use over the next four years. My GC is my personal, mostly weekend car.
AI has a weird thing where people love V8's and sports cars that get horrible mileage, but the minute you start talking about commuting in a truck or SUV they all want you to buy a Prius.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don't think anyone cares that you want a Cherokee or probably even a Wrangler. I think a lot of people would take issue with getting a premium package "just to match [your other car]" or because you can when presumably you could also order a non-Rubicon, and certainly with literally saying that gas mileage doesn't matter because:

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Why? Your tax dollars pay for the gas and maintenance...
[and purchase of vehicle.]

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ok, that makes sense. Sorry, those are the only packages available. Base model mid size SUVs or thawk Cherokee or Rubicon. We can't modify the trim levels within classes.

All about context I guess.

E:. My bad if I came across as wasteful as I meant it tongue in cheek. My intention was to state I wanted a comfortable SUV I could drive and didn't think a Rubicon would fit the bill. The missing piece of my model/class limitations was an oversight.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 21, 2019

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I'm just giving you a bit of friendly poo poo for having such a supposedly luxury lifestyle that the "ride" in a wrangler would kill you. :)

I stand firm that driving an hour and a half each day in an SUV for just 1 person is worthy of ridicule, government mandated or not (and maybe this is an issue the voters should bring up to representatives). I know this is a jeep thread and it's a bit ironic, but gently caress pointless SUV/CUVs for commuting. They're an abomination, uninteresting and ugly - especially in a car enthusiasts forum.

This is obviously not a personal attack on you, since you do not get to make these choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The new Jeep 4 banger gets woke mileage.